Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sushi Trouble

ocnblu

Last Saturday for lunch I went and checked out a new sushi restaurant in town. I like my sushi spicy, so when I spotted a three-roll spicy combo on the menu, I knew what I wanted. Except... one of the rolls was octopus, and I am scared of octopus. Tuna and salmon are lovely though. I asked the lady if I could substitute an extra salmon roll for the octopus. She said, in a heavy accent, "no substitution". I reluctantly said "OK", and she went up to the bar and turned in my order.

Two minutes later she came back to my table and said "sorry, we out of octopus, is OK two tuna roll?"

WTF?:huh:

Edited by ocnblu

Went to a sushi restaurant once. I don't think I ever will again, and here's why: when I asked my friend what these yellow and red pieces in the center of my sushi roll were, he responded, "Just eat it."

Cooked fish FTW.

Sushi is so good. And super healthy.

Sorry, z, but I'm with your "just eat it" friend. It's sushi...time to man up and enjoy it.

Not sure what exactly you saw in your sushi, or what rolls you even ordered (California rolls, unless specifically noted, do not contain any raw fish. Most use imitation krab), but if it looked like this:

maki.jpg

The yellow is tamago, or a slightly savory egg omelette, and the small red/orange orbs are smelt roe.

Sushi's OK, but having eaten enough of it, it's not really the party in your mouth that many people make it out to be.

For most sushi, I would agree - but if you're lucky enough to find sashimi that's really fresh and nice and fatty, it's amazing. Good toro tuna (near the belly) is a party in my mouth. Fresh wasabi makes it better.

I love salmon roe (eggs/caviar - salty, briny, they explode in your mouth) and uni (sea urchin - rich and velvety), too.

For most sushi, I would agree - but if you're lucky enough to find sashimi that's really fresh and nice and fatty, it's amazing. Good toro tuna (near the belly) is a party in my mouth. Fresh wasabi makes it better.

I love salmon roe (eggs/caviar - salty, briny, they explode in your mouth) and uni (sea urchin - rich and velvety), too.

I generally agree, except I prefer smelt roe to salmon roe. BBQ eel, though, is one of my favorites, even if it's cooked.

I'm a really big fan of the Extra Spicy Tuna they have at Famima!! because they are actually spicy, and they are cheap.

For those not in the know, Famima!! is a chain of what can best be described as the Japanese version of 7-11...with plenty of ready-to-eat food.

Now if only I can find a place to get good, cheap natto...

Our town finally got a sushi place. It's out of a Chinese fast-food restaurant, but still awesome. Also, cheap.

Prior to that, the nearest Japanese restaurant was in Syracuse, which is a long way to go for dinner.

Edited by aaaantoine

I love fresh fish, actually.

Could live on the beach in Florida and eat seafood every day every meal for the rest of my life, actually.

Though 'blu, perhaps you enjoy beef and steak also?

Chris

I was so ravenous when I left work, I broke down and got a 1/3 pound mushroom & swiss combo (with fresh apple slices on the side so it's nutritious) from Mickey D's on the way home. So yes.:)

Funny, today was my "cheat day" for the week, and I was craving a vegan burger with portobello and avocado, with a side of sweet potato fries and vegan chipotle "mayo." Soooooooo good.

No, the rest of the week I don't eat so much at one time. Especially not fries of any kind.

Gotta say, though, one of the greatest snacks of all time is some nonfat greek yogurt, kashi golean high protein & high fiber cereal, and pomegranate seeds, mixed.

I don't eat cooked seafood much less the uncooked stuff.

Really?

I love seafood! What a major treat it is to feast on king crab, shrimp, lobster, and so on. I'm less-enthused about fish generally, unless it has some flavor to it (I'm not about the bland stuff). I even eat clams and such on the half-shell - just about the only raw stuff I'm into.

I'm sure it will gross-out some of you, but I dip most of this stuff in melted butter.

Well, Camino...next time I'm in Philly...if we don't eat at the hot spot....I know where we are going.

And if you ever are in Columbus Ohio I have a goooood seafood place for you to try.

The cullinary equal of a Ram Air GTO!

Chris

Well, Camino...next time I'm in Philly...if we don't eat at the hot spot....I know where we are going.

And if you ever are in Columbus Ohio I have a goooood seafood place for you to try.

The cullinary equal of a Ram Air GTO!

Chris

Sounds fantastic to me!

I had myself salivating just typing that last post, the only thing better is surf and turf!

Cameron Mitchell owns the Columbus Fish Market, the place I was thinking of if you ever were in Columbus.

There is also Mitchells Steak House. Previous company did electrical work for Mitchells, I've seen how nice and spotless their kitchens are.

Mitchells Steak House is fabulous also.

There is also a more affordable place they own that has a great Meatloaf called the Capital City Dinner.

Never did take Oldsmoboi to Thurman's either...Took him to Jason's Deli instead, which is also pretty good. But Katzingers Deli in German Villiage is WONDERFUL also. When Clinton was president and in town he made it a point to eat at Katzingers.

Right now I'm craving Thai, and there is a great hole in the wall Thai place my son and I love to go to.

Chris

Actually I've worked repairing refrigeration and electrical stuff in fast food kitchens.

Most of that stuff is not real clean....ugh....

I'm kind of picky about what I eat and where I eat.

Chris

I only eat "fast food" occasionally. Most of it just isn't that good, to be honest. Wendy's makes some great chicken sandwiches, and their nuggets are good too. I will only eat McDonald's or BK in an airport setting with no other options available. I never eat Arby's. White Castle is only occasionally, and only when I can get it in the midwest fresh. Steak N Shake is another rarity. I do like In-N-Out, though, and will have it once every few months.

I just don't like how heavy fast food is. Subway I'll eat, and I wish Jimmy John's were in LA.

Really, if I'm going to try killing myself, I'm going to do it with some really tasty fatty food, like Roscoe's or Tommy Burger or CPK.

Get some pretty good seafood and sushi here, what with it's close proximity to the West Coast, I assume. I generally avoid fast food, though I have a weakness for the occasional McDs or Jack in the Box. Have been sick all week w/ a nasty cold, not much appetite..been eating a lot of soup..

The thing I really liked about Spain... and the whole tapas bar culture, in general... is the availability of delicious food in a sociable setting that's also very fast.

Right now I have an internship with weird hours that makes sit-down dining at normal hours difficult. I usually grab something to-go and eat alone in the car. It would be awesome if I could just pop down to the local tapas place, get some jamon iberico, pa amb tomaquet, sardines and other awesome seafood, and leave...