Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

Sushi Trouble

36 posts in this topic

Last Saturday for lunch I went and checked out a new sushi restaurant in town. I like my sushi spicy, so when I spotted a three-roll spicy combo on the menu, I knew what I wanted. Except... one of the rolls was octopus, and I am scared of octopus. Tuna and salmon are lovely though. I asked the lady if I could substitute an extra salmon roll for the octopus. She said, in a heavy accent, "no substitution". I reluctantly said "OK", and she went up to the bar and turned in my order.

Two minutes later she came back to my table and said "sorry, we out of octopus, is OK two tuna roll?"

WTF?:huh:

Edited by ocnblu

I love my sushi spicy also.

Good sushi is hard to find.

Chris

I usually just have the Kappa rolls.

Went to a sushi restaurant once. I don't think I ever will again, and here's why: when I asked my friend what these yellow and red pieces in the center of my sushi roll were, he responded, "Just eat it."

Cooked fish FTW.

Sushi is so good. And super healthy.

Sorry, z, but I'm with your "just eat it" friend. It's sushi...time to man up and enjoy it.

Not sure what exactly you saw in your sushi, or what rolls you even ordered (California rolls, unless specifically noted, do not contain any raw fish. Most use imitation krab), but if it looked like this:

maki.jpg

The yellow is tamago, or a slightly savory egg omelette, and the small red/orange orbs are smelt roe.

Sushi's OK, but having eaten enough of it, it's not really the party in your mouth that many people make it out to be.

Never had it, not really interested in trying it either.

I would, if it was offered I guess, but it isn't really on the list.

I've tried some sushi. I like California rolls. Don;t love the stuff but its not bad.

With that said grilled haddock with lemon pepper FTW.

Sushi's OK, but having eaten enough of it, it's not really the party in your mouth that many people make it out to be.

For most sushi, I would agree - but if you're lucky enough to find sashimi that's really fresh and nice and fatty, it's amazing. Good toro tuna (near the belly) is a party in my mouth. Fresh wasabi makes it better.

I love salmon roe (eggs/caviar - salty, briny, they explode in your mouth) and uni (sea urchin - rich and velvety), too.

For most sushi, I would agree - but if you're lucky enough to find sashimi that's really fresh and nice and fatty, it's amazing. Good toro tuna (near the belly) is a party in my mouth. Fresh wasabi makes it better.

I love salmon roe (eggs/caviar - salty, briny, they explode in your mouth) and uni (sea urchin - rich and velvety), too.

I generally agree, except I prefer smelt roe to salmon roe. BBQ eel, though, is one of my favorites, even if it's cooked.

I'm a really big fan of the Extra Spicy Tuna they have at Famima!! because they are actually spicy, and they are cheap.

For those not in the know, Famima!! is a chain of what can best be described as the Japanese version of 7-11...with plenty of ready-to-eat food.

Now if only I can find a place to get good, cheap natto...

Our town finally got a sushi place. It's out of a Chinese fast-food restaurant, but still awesome. Also, cheap.

Prior to that, the nearest Japanese restaurant was in Syracuse, which is a long way to go for dinner.

Edited by aaaantoine

Never had it, not really interested in trying it either.

I love sushi but after watching Animal Planet's "The Monster Inside Me", I really worry about eating uncooked meat of any kind.

You prefer beef?

I love fresh fish, actually.

Could live on the beach in Florida and eat seafood every day every meal for the rest of my life, actually.

Though 'blu, perhaps you enjoy beef and steak also?

Chris

I was so ravenous when I left work, I broke down and got a 1/3 pound mushroom & swiss combo (with fresh apple slices on the side so it's nutritious) from Mickey D's on the way home. So yes.:)

Good...nothing like a good American cheeseburger.

Chris

I was so ravenous when I left work, I broke down and got a 1/3 pound mushroom & swiss combo (with fresh apple slices on the side so it's nutritious) from Mickey D's on the way home. So yes.:)

Funny, today was my "cheat day" for the week, and I was craving a vegan burger with portobello and avocado, with a side of sweet potato fries and vegan chipotle "mayo." Soooooooo good.

Uh... so, every other day of the week you eat bacon sammiches with extra bacon on the side?:huh:

No, the rest of the week I don't eat so much at one time. Especially not fries of any kind.

Gotta say, though, one of the greatest snacks of all time is some nonfat greek yogurt, kashi golean high protein & high fiber cereal, and pomegranate seeds, mixed.

Interesting, Croc. For some reason I had you pegged for a fast food kind of guy.

Chris

Greek yogurt is da bomb, how do they make it taste so much better than other kinds?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room