Chris_Doane

It's definately better looking than the current one, and if they finally get a real range (or at least a couple) of beefy truck powertrains, a bigger interior and exterior, and just a tougher overall persona, they'll DEFINATELY do well. I won't say it looks particularly "beautiful", but it's definately a lot more bold than anything coming off the bland line GM and Ford seem stuck on....it's a truck, so why not be aggressive?

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge will still get their typical loyalist buyers, but if the Toyota turns out as nice as it seems it might be, the domestics might loose some deals. Kinda like how the Titan/Armada would be doing if they didn't have such an aggressively junky feel to them--typical Nissan of late, they got the powertrain, size, looks, and equipment, but are put together like a child's toy.

The best parts, probably? If recent things like the Avalon, the new Rav4, and even the coming '07 Camry are any indication, I'm expecting a very high level of performance, terrific refinement, a world-class interior, and a great pricetag on this new truck.

Edited by caddycruiser

Disappointing- I was led to expect much more. Grille surround is ultra bulky tho I suppose it's somewhat in keeping with the bulbous grille surround on the tacoma, and the flat black plastic wrapping up below all that chrome seems very cheap in contrast. I especially dislike the manner that the headlights just end right at the grille- looks unfinished. Hood contour is nice, however. Everything else at this points just looks 'meh'.

Guest gmrebirth

It's definately better looking than the current one, and if they finally get a real range (or at least a couple) of beefy truck powertrains, a bigger interior and exterior, and just a tougher overall persona, they'll DEFINATELY do well.  I won't say it looks particularly "beautiful", but it's definately a lot more bold than anything coming off the bland line GM and Ford seem stuck on....it's a truck, so why not be aggressive?

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge will still get their typical loyalist buyers, but if the Toyota turns out as nice as it seems it might be, the domestics might loose some deals.  Kinda like how the Titan/Armada would be doing if they didn't have such an aggressively junky feel to them--typical Nissan of late, they got the powertrain, size, looks, and equipment, but are put together like a child's toy.

The best parts, probably?  If recent things like the Avalon, the new Rav4, and even the coming '07 Camry are any indication, I'm expecting a very high level of performance, terrific refinement, a world-class interior, and a great pricetag on this new truck.

Pretty much summed it up. I hope the new GM trucks look bold and aggressive, and not watered down like the new Yukon.

Pretty much summed it up. I hope the new GM trucks look bold and aggressive, and not watered down like the new Yukon.

Don't count on it. Though I think minor little things and pieces will be different, what you see on the SUV's will still be the same general "idea" or "theme" of the trucks.

Well, that, and the fact that the pickup spy pics to this date don't seem to be hiding much in the way of any real styling difference, or therefore any added aggression.

The only full-size GM truck face I ever LOVED is the one on the current CLADDED Avalanche--perfect proportions, really cool scowling look with the shape of the lights and grille, and the lower DRL's just make it look that much cooler. On the other hand, the worst was the '03-05 Silverado/without cladding Av nose...yuck...

I never cared even remotely for the Avalanche's plethora of grey plastic. Aquaintance has an '05 Silverado... not sure if there still is a HD but this truck (dark charcoal crew cab 2500 DuraMax) -which I didn't care much either way for when this design first came out- looks badass IMO. I still think the current F-150 is the styling leader of them all.

It's definately better looking than the current one, and if they finally get a real range (or at least a couple) of beefy truck powertrains, a bigger interior and exterior, and just a tougher overall persona, they'll DEFINATELY do well.  I won't say it looks particularly "beautiful", but it's definately a lot more bold than anything coming off the bland line GM and Ford seem stuck on....it's a truck, so why not be aggressive?

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge will still get their typical loyalist buyers, but if the Toyota turns out as nice as it seems it might be, the domestics might loose some deals.  Kinda like how the Titan/Armada would be doing if they didn't have such an aggressively junky feel to them--typical Nissan of late, they got the powertrain, size, looks, and equipment, but are put together like a child's toy.

The best parts, probably?  If recent things like the Avalon, the new Rav4, and even the coming '07 Camry are any indication, I'm expecting a very high level of performance, terrific refinement, a world-class interior, and a great pricetag on this new truck.

:withstupid:

Guest YellowJacket894

God, that's ugly. Seriously, it looks... fat.

Toyota is wanting to shake that "Grandma's Car" image so bad they are putting out designs that are too odd or just to ugly to stomach. This new Tundra really holds the line right in the middle. I will admit, it does grab attention better than the current one does - hell, anything does - and it looks to be of the right size, finally.

You know, Toyota has been trying to get the full-size pickup formula right since '93: that's over a decade. And Toyota has a reputation, I believe, that their trucks are just too small and underpowered. I mean, the T-100 only offered a V-6 engine at the start and was closer in size to the then current Dodge Dakota. Then Tundra was bigger and offered a decently powered V-8, but it lacked in size, too: it still wasn't much bigger than the '00 Dakota. (It placed behind a Chevy Silverado in a 2002 Car & Driver Comparo.) I think some buyers who test-driven a Tundra or T-100 in the past and then tried an all American offering will stick with that "too small" image. And the Tundra never even held a candle in sales to the offerings from Ford or GM.

I really don't think Detroit will have much to worry about at the start. But, I guess it is something to put on notice, just so GM doesn't fall behind in the future.

And, for fun kids, squint real hard at that photo. You can see either a Ford F-150 or Nissan Frontier in there, screaming to be let loose.

Edited by anorexorcist

I still say that the best looking trucks on the road are the 73-87 C-series Chevy's and GMC's to me, they look like a truck is supposed to. They look tough, with the noticable 2-inch lower squat in the front and the squared off shape....and besides, you can't hurt on of those trucks, I should know i'm the third generation owner of a 1976 C-10 with 210,000 miles on it. If my graddad, dad, and me can't hurt it no one can, unless they have a land mine or anti-tank missile. This thing just looks kinda goofy, and from what a friend of mine says about his current Tacoma, it ain't worth it, the V6 with the 6speed is nice, but it just doesn't get good mileage and seems a whole heap underpowered, but that's just from me riding in it. If anything I hope that this does better than its predecessors, but I'll still stick with my truck.

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker

Nice F-150... wait.. those head lights don't look right, and what's that on the grille.... Toyota??? Damn this thing almost looks like a good ol' American cookie cutter truck, with a little bit of Jap in the grille and headlight design.

Toyota sure knows how to improve on a current design, but they aren't showing too much originallity with this. Oh well it's a truck, hopefully it comes with the goods to compete with the Big 3 (edit: and by hopefully, I mean :Toyota: )

Edited by siegen

Um... Alright. :huh:

I read over the posts first and it sounded as if this was some sort of magical design, but honestly, I must ask what's so special about it? It isn't unique by any means and isn't exactly aggressive looking either. It looks like a bigger Tacoma with a (current) Tundra shaped grill and (current) Tundra shaped headlights flipped up-side-down. Actually, the front somewhat resembles a Dodge Ram, minus the "big-rig" headlight placement. It's definitely not ugly, but it's nothing special. I must admit, though, it looks better than I had expected.

However, if the Tahoe is any indication, the Silverado may already have it beaten in the looks department. Depending if they went soft with it, like the 99-02 Silverado, that is. Hopefully that isn't the case. You never know, though...

Awkward and fugly... tryaing too hard to walk the line between refined and masculine. I thinkit's a D+ overall but I'm sure the empty-headed yuppies and Self-Hating-Americans will gobble it up like a Christmas ham. <_<

Toyota should stick with blandness... they're better at it.

On the topic of the Tundra, I drove a friend's Double Cab SR5 V8 yesterday and was very impressed by its mechanical refinement. Everything felt very precise, and it drove like a much smaller car.

It doesn't matter what GM does, Toyota will sell twice as many as their last effort even if it was half as good as this looks. The only way is up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's only because of the name.

General Motors will produce a far and away better pick up truck than Toyoto (yes, I spelled it right) and when they do, it will go unnoticed because of Toyoto's new "Beefier, tougher, (insert stupid media cliche line here) pick up truck."

It's just how goes it. Toyota will be #1, it will rock Wall Street and we'll all be screwed for years to come. It's been happening since Enron and GM will be the ultimate disaster for our economy.

I see the writing on the wall already. It's only a matter of time.

General Motors will produce a far and away better pick up truck than Toyoto (yes, I spelled it right) and when they do, it will go unnoticed because of Toyoto's new "Beefier, tougher, (insert stupid media cliche line here) pick up truck."

It's just how goes it. Toyota will be #1, it will rock Wall Street and we'll all be screwed for years to come. It's been happening since Enron and GM will be the ultimate disaster for our economy.

Or maybe Toyota will actually build a truck that is just as good as GM and Ford? Of course, no one would dare mention it here or give credit when credit is due.

Will Toyota will be pulling a Honda this year?

Guest gmrebirth

However, if the Tahoe is any indication, the Silverado may already have it beaten in the looks department. Depending if they went soft with it, like the 99-02 Silverado, that is. Hopefully that isn't the case. You never know, though...

If the Yukon and Escalade are any indications, GM's new trucks may look "softer" than many of you think. The Tahoe seems to be an exception.

Whether you like it or hate it, the Tundra looks big, angry, and basicallly like a truck should look like.

If GM's trucks look softened up like the Yukon or Escalade, then it will be a dissapointment, but it's not out of the question that this could be the case.

Looks better than a Silverado or Sierra, or certainly the class-lagging current Tundra.

Guest gmrebirth

Or maybe Toyota will actually build a truck that is just as good as GM and Ford?  Of course, no one would dare mention it here or give credit when credit is due.

Will Toyota will be pulling a Honda this year?

Of course nobody would mention here, because it seems like almost all members of C & G, including the creators seem to have a death wish on Toyota.

Everyone here seems hell bent to make Toyota appear as the root of all evil, irregardless of what the reality is. People here seem to live in their own little world, one extreme of the spectrum to so speak, where the other extreme is the media, which of course always works on extremes, whether they be positive or negative. If the news is negative, they will make it extremely negative as to attract attention. If the news is positive, they will make it extremely positive likewise.

Several specific members on this site who are very vocal continue to clearly illustrate what is wrong with America. And then these very same ignorant people wonder why the rest of the world hates America.

They remind of the Bush administration, who even in the face of reality, claimed Iraw had WMDs, where there were none ever found. The Bush administration, who tries to provide "solutions" to a problem that doesn't exist.

Edited by gmrebirth

soory there gmrebirth but i think you need to relax a bit

for those of you who think they should stick to bland i think that this vehicle is bland per say....... nothing really flashy on it but the grill which isnt really flashy nowadays and it prolly wont be chrome as anything but an option........and thats the way trucks should be, bland and brute

Guest gmrebirth

God bless you, GMrebirth, for showing us the light in such an altruistic, unagrandizing fashion.

I never claimed I was "showing the light" or anything of that sort. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt, in fact would definitely help if these forums were a bit less extreme in certain viewpoints.

I never claimed I was "showing the light" or anything of that sort. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt, in fact would definitely help if these forums were a bit less extreme in certain viewpoints.

If true, baiting and insulting doesn't encourage it. Think about it.

They remind of the Bush administration, who even in the face of reality, claimed Iraw had WMDs, where there were none ever found. The Bush administration, who tries to provide "solutions" to a problem that doesn't exist.

Stop it with the government politics please. No one here wants to argue about it.

Oh and... :Toyota:

I'm not feeling this truck yet. When the new Tacoma first came out, I thought it was gonna be a gotta have truck, but it also leaves me lukewarm.

I do like the current Tundra because it has excellent steering, handling, and ride. It may not be the toughest thing around, but it would serve the needs of most households. The interior of the current truck is not impressive in either design or materials, but it is very livable. Lastly, the current Tundra Double Cab manages to have a standard size bed and be the same overall length as the Silverado Crew Cab with the truncated bed.

If the Yukon and Escalade are any indications, GM's new trucks may look "softer" than many of you think. The Tahoe seems to be an exception.

Whether you like it or hate it, the Tundra looks big, angry, and basicallly like a truck should look like.

If GM's trucks look softened up like the Yukon or Escalade, then it will be a dissapointment, but it's not out of the question that this could be the case.

I'm talking about the Silverado, which, will more than likely look similar to the Tahoe than the others. I know what you mean, though. That was also running through my mind as with looking like soft 99-02 Silverado. As I said, hopefully it looks like the Tahoe more than anything.

Of course nobody would mention here, because it seems like almost all members of C & G, including the creators seem to have a death wish on Toyota.

Everyone here seems hell bent to make Toyota appear as the root of all evil, irregardless of what the reality is. People here seem to live in their own little world, one extreme of the spectrum to so speak, where the other extreme is the media, which of course always works on extremes, whether they be positive or negative. If the news is negative, they will make it extremely negative as to attract attention. If the news is positive, they will make it extremely positive likewise.

Several specific members on this site who are very vocal continue to clearly illustrate what is wrong with America. And then these very same ignorant people wonder why the rest of the world hates America.

If you don't like it, why not take my advice and leave? This is a GM forum for GM enthusiasts. Generally, GM enthusiasts dislike companies like Toyota. Whether you disagree with it or not, nothing you say could possibly change that. You obviously can't say anything positive about the members or the company that the members are enthusiasts of. So, why don't you do us all a favor and just leave. Staying here just proves that you are nothing more than a troll as you do not belong. I am really getting sick and tired of it.

If true, baiting and insulting doesn't encourage it. Think about it.

Exactly.

It doesn't matter what GM does, Toyota will sell twice as many as their last effort even if it was half as good as this looks. The only way is up.

Toyotawill market the new Tundra's build origins insanely. Would'nt be suprised if sales double. With it made in Texas, I can easily see it stealing a few of the Big Three sales.

All the Toyota products of late are highly competitive a few are outright class leaders.

RAV4

Avalon/Camry

IS

Yaris

LS460

I can easily see Toyota making gains if this product is executed correctly.

It looks a lot like the current best looking truck--the F-150. Contrary to sixty, I think the design straddles refinement and machismo just right. The current Tacoma's design is really elegant and rugged, the right combination, and it sells, and is selling extremely well here, it's the compact pickup I see most of in LA, literally one of the few I do see.

I expect to see the kind of marketing effort Toyoguy just talked about---Toyota is all about making a mountain of a mole when it comes to their products. Marketing the origin of this truck as "help" to the American economy is a lot like Toyota is marketing the hybrids as cleaning air--smart money.

IMO it's illogical to assume marketing the tundra as "American" will help- that factor sure hasn't had any demonstable effect on domestic sales in general; there is very little nationality loyalty left in the new car market.

Much like often is said about domestic cars, the tunda should exceed it's domestic class-leaders, not merely attmept to match them. All that's known so far is the styling from this alleged spy shot- and it's derivative at best.

[dramatic mode]

BINGO!!!

It doesn't make a damn difference whether or not the Tundra is actually better than the Silverado or F-150...

The writing is on the wall..

The fall of Detroit has been set up for years now (and has been escalated by the media an d the street in the past few years for good reason)

The Tundra will debut to an ADORING media, (Just like the Ridgeline and Titan did---They'll twist the articles full of so much import humping that it'll make you physically sick---after all, all those pent up years of having to root for Detroit trucks because of a lack of a better alternative---yuck) whilst the 900s will "almost be there" or "will they be enough to top the new Toyota" or etc. etc...

And there you have it, Toyota will rock 'the street' GM and Ford will be "paranoia mania-ed" into wall street cardiac arrest and the consumer will *GLADLY* and obliviously buy those "American made" (YOU know it'll be pointed out MORE thn enough times to transform the loyalists into believers--that is the goal) Toyota's to "benefit job growth" and GM and Ford will be left to rot in our memories. BUT, not before they're criticized and ridiculed out of existence.

The truck looks bad.... Like a micro Japanese offering that has a HUGE Toyota grille grafted on, but I'm sure it'll sell HUGE! After all, it is "god's gift to the modern truck"

The death of Detroit has been witnessed.

[/dramatic mode]

That's debatable....

Since females make the MAJORITY of major purchase decisions in this country, why shouldn't the 900's look a little softer???

The Ram is aggressive; hasn't dethroned GM or Ford.... The Tundra is aggressive; struggling to make sales for the year. And a lot of people don't like the scowling current Silverado.

But, I too would rather it be more aggressive than not.

Much like often is said about domestic cars, the tunda should exceed it's domestic class-leaders, not merely attmept to match them. All that's known so far is the styling from this alleged spy shot- and it's derivative at best.

Now come on... You know that OBJECTIVITY only applies to domestics... The new Tundra will receive the same free ride Toyota always gets.

LMMFAO!!! (I'll take the bait---never turn down a good fight)

That's right... Because they (and certain people in certain influential places) are KILLING GM and Ford. THEY have a death wish for OUR companies.

An eye for an eye.

Everyone here seems hell bent to make Toyota appear as the root of all evil, irregardless of what the reality is.

Reality is that they use (and have been using for years) shady and unfair business practices to ELIMINATE or flagship industries.

People here seem to live in their own little world, one extreme of the spectrum to so speak, where the other extreme is the media, which of course always works on extremes, whether they be positive or negative. If the news is negative, they will make it extremely negative as to attract attention. If the news is positive, they will make it extremely positive likewise.

LOL....Ok.... THanks for the psychological analysis... I'll sleep better tonight ;)

Several specific members on this site who are very vocal

Why not just name names?

continue to clearly illustrate what is wrong with America.

What is wrong with america is this stagnated, apathetic attitude of "what happens, happens--It is god's will and a capitalist system" It's a global economy, and if that means destroying our nation and way of life just because GM (Or insert domestic industry here) can't compete because they're too busy fulfilling their obligations, then so be it---I'm happy 'servicing' other nations"

THAT is what's wrong with america.... The fact that it has NO pride, NO common sense, NO intelligence and NO ass to back what made this country great up.

And then these very same ignorant people wonder why the rest of the world hates America.

LOL... Okay, my opinion on a Toyota is apparently cause for extreme islamic terrorism... Yep. Personally, I don't think much of america OR the rest of the world. I am loyal to no one.

They remind of the Bush administration,

AND THE PERSONAL AGENDA COMES OUT.

*** See, therein lies your problem. You just admitted an unrelated bias and personal opinion, therefore calling the whole of your argument into question.***

The difference with me is that I admit that my rantings are personal opinion and should be taken as nothing more.

The difference with me is that I admit that my rantings are personal opinion and should be taken as nothing more.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy your posts; plus I have this sick, twisted mind that enjoys watching other people come unhinged.

Now back to the truck: I do believe it's real. It fits the descriptions that have been dropped about ti being similar to that Jeep-wrangler wanna-be. It's much larger, more "macho" and it looks like an American-design that's been ripped off and then "Japaneezed" (yeah, I enjoy making sh!t up and flying by the seat of my pants). Anyways: external looks only go so far. This version is rumored to have a larger powertrain, etc. Look what it brought Nissan? Lotsa press and little sales. Of course, Nissan probably shot themselves in the foot with their numerous quality issues.. but just because it's got a Toyota emblem on the front doesn't mean that they've screwed the vehicle together properly or thought out everything that they need be. Take a look at the Ridgeline with 4 blown shocks: you can't tell me that engineering didn't screw something up.

Now, if it's anything like the SUV's, then GM's full-size has an interior that should take a backseat from nobody. It's got a 6 speed transmission has only improved on it's already-gas-mileage-leading engines. Powertrain-wise, GM's truck should be more than competitive. My only question is whether GM is going to play this too-safe external-styling wize.

Edited by cmattson

but just because it's got a Toyota emblem on the front doesn't mean that they've screwed the vehicle together properly or thought out everything that they need be.

They have the reputation, therefor people will go on blind faith and trust in the Toyota name that everything will be problem free and be more innovative than its competition.

Take a look at the Ridgeline with 4 blown shocks: you can't tell me that engineering didn't screw something up.

Hardy har har... How do you know the magazine reviewers didn't screw it up? And how do you know the dealership didn't feed them a line of crap? If I took my car to the Honda dealership, and told them it felt like there was a problem with the way it handled, don't you think that is the perfect opportunity for them to sell me 4 new shocks? From my experience, absolutely yes.

They have the reputation, therefor people will go on blind faith and trust in the Toyota name that everything will be problem free and be more innovative than its competition.

Hardy har har... How do you know the magazine reviewers didn't screw it up? And how do you know the dealership didn't feed them a line of crap? If I took my car to the Honda dealership, and told them it felt like there was a problem with the way it handled, don't you think that is the perfect opportunity for them to sell me 4 new shocks? From my experience, absolutely yes.

Well.. if people are going to go on blind faith and buy Toyota's for namesake alone, then tell me why the supposed full-size Toyota pickups (T100, then Tundra) have failed to garner a significant share of the market - even though they've had a presense for 10+ years? It's because Toyota has failed on that vehicle in several areas: the truck is too small, underpowered and gets mediocre gas mileage. Execution *is* important. I'm not about to hand Toyota pickup truck sales - they haven't shown a history of doing anything competent in the NA full-size market.

As for the shocks: the blown shocks came from edmunds. Spend more than 3 1/2 seconds there & you'll quickly learn that Edmunds is about as pro-foreign as they come.

As for the shocks: the blown shocks came from edmunds.  Spend more than 3 1/2 seconds there & you'll quickly learn that Edmunds is about as pro-foreign as they come.

Then why do Chevy TV ads tell consumers to "visit Edmunds.com" for "Head2Head" comparisons?

If I took my car to the Honda dealership, and told them it felt like there was a problem with the way it handled, don't you think that is the perfect opportunity for them to sell me 4 new shocks? From my experience, absolutely yes.

So you are saying that Honda doesn't honor their warranty?

Guest YellowJacket894

Well.. if people are going to go on blind faith and buy Toyota's for namesake alone, then tell me why the supposed full-size Toyota pickups (T100, then Tundra) have failed to garner a significant share of the market - even though they've had a presense for 10+ years?  It's because Toyota has failed on that vehicle in several areas: the truck is too small, underpowered and gets mediocre gas mileage.  Execution *is* important.  I'm not about to hand Toyota pickup truck sales - they haven't shown a history of doing anything competent in the NA full-size market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly what I said earlier. (Well, sort of. And I was pretty vauge.)

You know, Toyota has been trying to get the full-size pickup formula right since '93: that's over a decade. And Toyota has a reputation, I believe, that their trucks are just too small and underpowered. I mean, the T-100 only offered a V-6 engine at the start and was closer in size to the then current Dodge Dakota. Then Tundra was bigger and offered a decently powered V-8, but it lacked in size, too: it still wasn't much bigger than the '00 Dakota. (It placed behind a Chevy Silverado in a 2002 Car & Driver Comparo.) I think some buyers who test-driven a Tundra or T-100 in the past and then tried an all American offering will stick with that "too small" image. And the Tundra never even held a candle in sales to the offerings from Ford or GM.

Edited by anorexorcist

So you are saying that Honda doesn't honor their warranty?

AFAIK, wear and tear items aren't covered by any warranty, short of full maintenance programs. Honda has been unusually generous with their warranties, often paying for user error (dropping a clip into the engine bay and having it shred a belt, for instance) and even whole transmissions despite an expired warranty.