G5

If the ION is supposed to be an Opel derivative, then it should be fair to assume this will be as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  The Astra has been getting a lot of good press, both here AND abroad.

The Astra will no doubt be coming here in the form of a Saturn Astra [saturn just trademarked the name] around 2009. Anytime before then seems too soon for GM to get all the federalizing and sourcing issues worked out. Any current Astra derivative probably won't be built here until that time when GM figures out where to build the Saturn Astra.

So the G5 will be just another Cobalt. Remains to be seen just what kind of Cobalt it'll be though.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the US Pontiac G5, Canada's Pursuit, nothing more, nothing less.....no Vibe, no Ion and no Opel, dream all you want but this is the scary reality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Actually that is the Pursuit. Your link says nothing about G5 and no badging indicates that either. BTW you may want to read what AH-HA has posted again.

Actually that is the Pursuit.  Your link says nothing about G5 and no badging indicates that either.  BTW you may want to read what AH-HA has posted again.

uhm, I know it's the Pursuit, but IT IS what we are getting in the US and since the car will have most of the Canadian content, why not post a pic of what we can expect to see???

P.S. It's pretty hard to post pics of the G5 since they haven't made one BADGED that way yet.

Well that's stupid... 3 different names for the same car for 3 different markets...

Yep, pretty dang stupid..................

Edited by derek0609

I like the photochop, Toni! I was thinking whatever platform GM chooses for Evoke, it'll still have that exact styling and design, which is better than what I originally thought-I just hope it has more passenger and cargo room than Cobalt. On that note, if what AH-HA said is true, I'm thinking G5 will either be the Vibe (still Toyota-based-ugh) or the Pursuit.

Thought I would bring that to this thread just so people can compare it to the Pursuit.

Posted Image

Pursuit

Posted Image

Are you kidding?? There IS no comparison here. The chop MURDERS the Pursuit. If Pontiac acutally made that G5 chop as is, they'd have a major hit on there hands.

It's probably a unique Cobalt variant since it would be in Lordstown.  Probably new sheetmetal and stuff, not like the G4.

Recalling...

Now I'm confused. If it's the Cobalt, then why different sheetmetal?

Unless the Cobalt's getting a redesign.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Recalling...

Now I'm confused. If it's the Cobalt, then why different sheetmetal?

Unless the Cobalt's getting a redesign.

Unique Cobalt varient means to me that the Canadian Pontiac Delta will not be a Cobalt clone anymore. It will get slightly different sheet metal as shown in the chop, which is like a stylized Cobalt, and a new interior.

Totally lame. GM is pulling our chain again.

quoted by Northstar on September 8:

In the new Autonews, there is a little blurb about a small Pontiac:

"Does General Motors' Pontiac division need a small, entry-level car in the United States? Marketing Director Mark-Hans Richer says an entry-level small car is a 'top candidate' on Pontiac execs' wish list. But GM's vehicle line executive for small cars, Lori Queen, says, 'We're not working on that for Pontiac.' Pontiac is well-served by having the Vibe hatchback as an entry-level vehile, rather than entering the crowded small-car segment, she says. Pontiac offers a small entry-level car in Canada called the Pursuit. But Queen says the Pursuit is unique to Canada."

Of course the Pursuit won't come to the US. The name won't but the piece of crap car will>>> now, the cobalt isn't a piece of crap but the fact that the G5 or what ever the hell it's going to be called is an awful rebadge makes it a piece of crap in my book.

I don't care how different it looks.. this is typical GM. It will be the same exact car for a higher price. The people making the decisions are completely clueless to the market and are just giving the dealers whatever they want even though it will create brand overlap with Chevy. Are they completely retarded over there?!

God! I'm so angry right now.

Look for GM to align the names across all three countries, the G4 being the sedan and G5 the coupe.  The US will get both the G4 and G5 and the Pusuit name will be dropped in Canada in favor of G4/G5 as well.

This also could be that top secret small rwd program the Fastlane elluded to. You know the Pontiac 1 Series.

This also could be that top secret small rwd program the Fastlane elluded to.  You know the Pontiac 1 Series.

But AH-HA indicated that it would be a Lordstown car and in production within a year. Are you talking about something further down the line?

Alright insiders please dumb this down for me I got lost around that last left at Albuquerque.

But AH-HA indicated that it would be a Lordstown car and in production within a year.  Are you talking about something further down the line?

Alright insiders please dumb this down for me I got lost around that last left at Albuquerque.

I think evok is just messing with us.

Look for GM to align the names across all three countries, the G4 being the sedan and G5 the coupe.  The US will get both the G4 and G5 and the Pusuit name will be dropped in Canada in favor of G4/G5 as well.

It doesn't make sense to me for Pontiac have a rebadged Cobalt coupe when they already have the G6 coupe. It looks like the G5 coupe and the G6 coupe will be almost the same car, but on two different platforms, Epsilon and Delta. Are they even going to have a G5 GXP with the supercharged 2.0L engine and a G6 GXP coupe with the 3.9L engine?

It doesn't make sense to me for Pontiac have a rebadged Cobalt coupe when they already have the G6 coupe. It looks like the G5 coupe and the G6 coupe will be almost the same car, but on two different platforms, Epsilon and Delta. Are they even going to have a G5 GXP with the supercharged 2.0L engine and a G6 GXP coupe with the 3.9L engine?

Almost the same car??

You gotta be f***ing kidding. The Pursuit and G6 are whole different. Size, proportions, nothing are identical.

Hmmm... maybe if it has the 2.4L standard, and a unique interior including the dashboard, it won't be so bad until the small RWD vehicle comes onboard (which will be 100x better, of course). This would be a unique vehicle in BPG showrooms, if not all of GM.

Almost the same car??

You gotta be f***ing kidding. The Pursuit and G6 are whole different. Size, proportions, nothing are identical.

Pursuit: 180.3 long, 67.9 wide, 58 high

Cobalt: 180.5 long, 67.9 wide, 55.5 high

G6 coupe: 189.1 long, 70.4 wide, 56.4 high

You call that much of a difference? They're close enough for the G5 coupe to be redundant.

Pursuit:  180.3 long, 67.9 wide, 58 high

Cobalt: 180.5 long, 67.9 wide, 55.5 high

G6 coupe: 189.1 long, 70.4 wide, 56.4 high

You call that much of a difference? They're close enough for the G5 coupe to be redundant.

Camry is 189.2 long.

Corolla is 178.3 long.

If by your terms, 9 inches is not much difference, then the Camry and Corolla are the same size.

<singing> Ohhhhh... I once loved the great Pontiac, before GM became a pain in the back, when power and attitude empowered me, while Fieros and Firebirds roam free... Now that is only the past, I never thought it wouldn't last, for Pontiac was king of driving excitement, which for many was life's delightment... Ohhhhh... GM is ruining my beloved Pontiac, as if it were a meaningless sack, taking away what it used to be, and ridding of any passion within thee... Ohhhh... GM thinks that Pontiac needs a bunch of cloned G5s, yet doesn't realize it is igniting many bee hives, by killing what we enthusiasts love best, for this in a grave GM will rest... </singing>

Edited by blackviper8891

I guess we will all have to get over it and live with a tarnished Pontiac for several more years with product undeserving of the proper image of Pontiac. Get over it. Move on. Cobalt clone coming, here to stay for some time. Hopefully GM can get in thier right mind and eventually come around to producing a RWD 1-serries competitor.....and by the time it comes out I can buy one for my son.

<singing once more> Oh oh oh... GM... Has ruined my life! By making me suffer! With more retarded logic! Just like GM of yore! Ah ah ah... Pontiac... Has been wounded with a knife! Now it can never be tougher! In save it will take magic! For Pontiac is forever sore! Uh uh uh... Enthusiasts... Don't seem to be important to them! For they have given us a Cobalt clone! We shall never let such a car thrive! As it is an abomination to mankind! Oh oh oh... History... Will always remember GM! For not preventing this disaster zone! And shattering our hope for a marvelous drive! I declare that these idiots must be blind! Die GM! Die! </singing once more>

Edited by blackviper8891

If the G5 looks like the Saturn Astra with the pontiac grill (otherwise known as the shop), it will be a smash hit. Just make sure all of the engines have DI and sticks. That will serve as a way to differentiate the G5 from the Cobalt.

Now if the G5 is a Smith era rebadge job of the Cobalt, it will be a disaster.

Hmmm... maybe if it has the 2.4L standard, and a unique interior including the dashboard, it won't be so bad until the small RWD vehicle comes onboard (which will be 100x better, of course).  This would be a unique vehicle in BPG showrooms, if not all of GM.

Unique interior including the dashboard... as in replacing all the bulbs and LEDs with red??

I think that's what they are thinking right now.

• 2 weeks later...

As an employee of the Lordstown assembly plant, I can inform everyone that production estimates are at 25,000 - 30,000 G5 units per year. The Lordstown plant is expected to schedule lots of overtime this summer to meet the market demands of the Chevy Cobalt, the Canadian Pontiac Pursuit, the Mexican G4, and the new American Pontiac G5.

GM has scrapped the proposed Saturn Ion replacement.

Here is an informative link to our local newspaper, The Youngstown Vindicator, with the G5 announcement and details:

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regiona...07620488672.php

Edited by DaveInOhio

Pontiac isn't releasing design details on the Pursuit, other than saying only a two-door coupe will be sold in the United States and there will be differences between the Canadian and U.S. models.

Please tell me the differences are more than the guages reading English units instead of Metric.

This is from the GM Newsline:

PRODUCT NEWS

A NEW VEHICLE JOINS THE PONTIAC FAMILY .... Pontiac is adding a small, sporty model to its lineup this fall for the 2007 model year.

The Pontiac G5 will be an entry-level vehicle designed to attract value-oriented customers to the Pontiac brand. It will be built off the Chevy Cobalt platform at GM's Lordstown Assembly Complex in Ohio.

The Cobalt has been used as the basis for the Pontiac Pursuit, which up until now has only been sold in Canada. Starting next month, the Pursuit will also carry the G5 name in anticipation of the U.S. arrival later this year.

At the same time that the G5 will hit dealer showrooms, Pontiac will end production of the Montana SV6 crossover sport vehicle. The Buick Terraza will be the crossover sport vehicle available through the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel.

Thought you might be interested in seeing this. It's from the aformentioned article by DaveInOhio. Sorry for the small picture, maybe someone else can get a bigger scan (seeing as I don't get that paper anymore)

Posted Image

Yep... The Americanization of the Pursuit...

EDIT: Video from WYTV 33

http://www.wytv.com/news/local/2305551.html?video=YHI

Edited by PARANOiA

According to the Youngstown "Business Journal":

"The Pontiac G5 is a sister vehicle to the Pontiac Pursuit, which Lordstown manufactures for sale exclusively in Canada. The G5, which will make its debut in time for the 2007 model year, has a completely new interior and cockpit along with additional modifications for the U.S. market, Graham said."

http://www.business-journal.com/EnthusiasmPontiacG5.asp

• 4 weeks later...

This is obviously the G5 GM did say they had a aurprise for us and its gonna be a compact pontiac i dont think they will jus rebadge it fo rthe states picture this car with a kidney grille and a pontiac badge on the steering wheel and its a pontiac

Posted Image

ION-Interior.jpg

Edited by PONTIACGXP

• 3 months later...