caddycruiser

Snow will NOT stop...

101 posts in this topic

It's snowing. It has been all day. A LOT. A LOT more than expected. It won't stop. It just keeps coming and coming and coming.

I had a "plan" today to get up, eat and leave for Philly/Jersey/etc. before it really started and because the forecast up there was better, drier, etc. After some issues, got rolling around 9:45, it was snowing & white here but dry about 5 miles from home, hit Wawa for coffee & kept going. Got to just past Milton on Rt. 1 north (for those of you who know DE beach area), the road all of a sudden turned wet & covered in brown salt then I saw I was a few cars back from a salt truck. I thought I could escape DE without getting the G8 crudded up, but it was too late. And the pending doom look was too much. Turned around, met a friend for an hour in Lewes as it kept snowing then tried to get home. G8 & me almost completely bit it more than once.

Slow slow slow. One road, coasting, cars stopped in front of me to turn. Let off, braked, felt like all locked & I was just sliding. Barely could get it turned enough to go off to the right & hit a field...thankfully not too badly. Struggled to get back going again, then got to the main road where I'd have to turn at a light. Doing about 5mph, tried to go right, ended up losing all control, braked & seemed locked up again, slid sideways completely across Rt. 24 from a side road, got 12" from hitting a car sitting at the red light but after about sh$%$%'ing myself, hit the grass on the complete other side of the highway and got corrected enough to keep going that way & spend another 15 minutes slowly back tracking to get back towards home...insane. You could still see grass, I'm from western PA where 3ft of snow just means "oh, it's Tuesday...", and I about killed G8 (even on it's new A/S tires that otherwise have had it tanking through some thick snow), and myself.

Insane. This was yesterday:

g8-yesterday.jpg

This was poor G8 after I barely made it back home today:

g8-today.jpg

g8-snow.jpg

Twin kidney's filling up & over filling:

g8-snow-grilles.jpg

The start of the trip...but just hitting salt truck remnants:

snow1.jpg

And the trip...post G8 about eating it & being ripped apart...nearing home:

snow2.jpg

snow3.jpg

snow4.jpg

When I had left to come home, you could still see grass blades, the roads had snow but not much...but were just solid...rock hard solid...no go, almost. Crazy. At the beach. Poo.

Grr! Grr! Grr! Just had to say it again... :cussing:

Snow. I hate you. G8...well...he could just go back to Oz and say forget this...Borger's new driveway would be better...

Hmm, that doesn't look bad at all, I once drove the Grand Marquis through a big snow storm to get my brother on the other side of teh state...that was fun...had snow tires on the back so it had no problems.

I have no problems with snow, it ice that sucks.

Hmm, that doesn't look bad at all, I once drove the Grand Marquis through a big snow storm to get my brother on the other side of teh state...that was fun...had snow tires on the back so it had no problems.

Exactly. And like I said, from western PA, I'm used to multiple feet of snow...you just shovel & go.

Today, for whatever reason, and because it's DE, even the snow that did fall earlier combined with the temps combined with the type of snow, absolutely horrible. I've never driven with such a lack of any traction, just 2 weeks or so ago plowing through a few inches on back roads without even a slip and higher throttle. Today...like ice...and still having visions of sliding across a main highway sideways through a light, almost taking out a Buick...that old lady had to have freaked out seeing me sliding right at her. Felt like one of those cheesy winter/bad driving accident shows.

Now at almost a foot, again it's worse elsewhere, but with such a lack of road treatment and the high teen temps, dangerous to the extreme and everything is closed. I'm stuck in the driveway for all intensive purposes. And fast forwarded the shopping for that 2nd car, because between this and when I move elsewhere, G8 can't be subjected to this continually.

You must be from north of I-80 if you think that about western PA

Few miles south, but not much difference.

All I can say is I came so close today to wiping the G8 out, no matter how expertly I drove, just scary. I was impressed by the DE drivers for once, though, and their careful driving around me. That doesn't always happen in winter. Guess it was just that bad.

First time I've seen every single local church, etc. completely closed for the entire day tomorrow, in a very, very long time.

Edited by caddycruiser

+1. No matter whether I was in E. Ohio, SE Michigan, or Colorado, it was never the snow that bothered me but the ice..those ice storms in Michigan were fierce in the mid '90s.

Even worse--ice+fog makes me want to stay inside w/ the blinds closed.

Usually when it snows I just stay home and put off errands for another day,a nd enjoy the snowfall. Ice I won't go out for anything.

Usually when it snows I just stay home and put off errands for another day,a nd enjoy the snowfall. Ice I won't go out for anything.

From '00-08 in Colorado I always had a laptop for work so snow days were usually always work from home days for me.

Up until Friday my "perfect" idea of heading north (storm coming from southwest & going east) to Philly was a good idea, spend the night, etc. but seeing how long it went on and how bad it got, yeah, not a good idea. And I certainly mucked the car up worse my even trying. At least I didn't smash anything, damn ice. Scary, scary drive with zero control, period. Couldn't go, couldn't stop, just like being on skates.

Yeah, again, shouldn't have left but at the same time...gotta get out sometimes. Though I think next time it's winter and a trip is in store, I'll borrow a Subaru 8)

Subaru won't be any better if the tires can't find anything to grip. Best thing to do would be, unless you need to go out during a storm, don't. ;)

Subaru won't be any better if the tires can't find anything to grip. Best thing to do would be, unless you need to go out during a storm, don't. wink.gif

Agreed!

Subaru won't be any better if the tires can't find anything to grip. Best thing to do would be, unless you need to go out during a storm, don't. ;)

Exactly. It was a side joke I didn't finish. My "Whooptidoo" (he calls it that) driving father was out today and reported back "it didn't do as well as I expected, well, for the most part". As always, ice is ice, snow is snow, doesn't matter how many wheels you have spinning, sometimes you just don't go :AH-HA:

Last year I stayed home from work on our March blizzard day, working from home, for exactly the reason above. But today dry when I left, crashworthy 2 hours later, nuts.

Growing up on the farm, a snowstorm was always an excuse to go out driving. We'd all pile in the old F-250, call on the neighbors, then cruise out to breakfast. After breakfast, we'd just drive around the area, taking in the sights, until it was time to come home and feed the cows.

All we got up here was a dusting yesterday afternoon, after an increasingly heavy atmosphere throughout the morning.

NOAA is investigating this as a possible case of unintended accumulation.

Heehee :smilewide:

I love how yesterday it was "1-3 inches", they put the first white dust salt crap down on Wednesday to prepare, and waking up today there's now 12"+. Being Delaware, everything is shut down. Probably good, I can't go out & bumper cars around in the poor G8. At least it humbled me & my "PA snow skills"...sorta.

I guess the winds shifted enough late Saturday that in my part of southern NJ we got about an inch of the puffy white stuff. We were at the Sun Trust Arena in Trenton (formerly Sovereign Bank Arena) for the "Disny on Ice" show with the little guy - went in at 3:00 PM and nothing (just gray clouds as called for) and coming out at 5:00 PM was a different story (light snow flakes sticking to the ground, cars, road, etc - well it was 19 degrees!). After a couple of errands and visiting the mother-in-law, the trip home was slow but uneventful. After the 16" snowstorm in December, I'm done with snow for this winter!! The crappy 17" Hankooks on the wife's G6 (25k) are starting to show their true side - non-grippy in the snow, like to slide whenever possible. The wife said "to take it easy", as if she's been aware of their crappy wet-weather handling. I told her she should have helped me find the money in October for the Cooper CS4 tires!!

Exactly Roger :AH-HA:

The car is back to being a bear clawing tank today, because now it's snow and not thin solid packed ice. 12" in the driveway, pushed most of it off the car, hopped in and vroom forward through the unshoveled 12" without as much as a slip, so the parking spaces could be cleared out. Something that darn Camaro on 20" summer Pirelli's certainly couldn't say for itself :rolleyes:

Edited by caddycruiser

The crappy 17" Hankooks on the wife's G6 (25k) are starting to show their true side - non-grippy in the snow, like to slide whenever possible. The wife said "to take it easy", as if she's been aware of their crappy wet-weather handling. I told her she should have helped me find the money in October for the Cooper CS4 tires!!

I had the same issue with the Malibu when the Bridgestone Insignias wore down. If you'll recall last winter I had two scares in that car and I didn't drive it until she replaced her tires. First time I was coming around a corner in my neighbourhood at about 5mph and all of a sudden all four tires break loose at once and the car does a 360 right there. Then a couple of weeks later I'm once again coming around a corner at a very low rate of speed on top of fresh snow (no ice) and the son of a gun won't turn, no traction. Wouldn't stop either sending me careening into a curb bending one of the rims that I stuck out to absorb the impact.

After storm #2, SO much worse than the first...

...we have electricity again after over 2 days without! Party time! Amazing!

The only mobile car we have is the '96 Subaru Legacy. Seriously. Even no shoveling, chirp, chirp, chirp vroom that thing goes without barely a slip through & over it all. BEST $1,000 ever spent, EVER, period. Otherwise, took a drive out in the Subie yesterday to "see" what it was like, almost tore Subie apart & was warned "no way" to even thinking of trying a G8 ("the snow plow" as I call it with the front end) or even the old '93 Fleetwood we also depend on when not using other cars.

Grr. Pictures to come. I have internet! And a computer! Amazing!

Wow...we should be getting some of that tonight...

that's what she said!

We've been jipped since January. <_<

But on the bright side the cars are clean still because of it.

Home today, with lights & heat (pretty amazing after days without it), doing my work for work via email. Basically like any other day but in sweatpants, dogs bothering me & a real kitchen. Nothing melted whatsoever, the driveway is still pretty thick, but street scraped to 1 lane pavement & apparently (only have reports from my father) the roads out to the main road are similar...1 windy lane of sorts.

Got an email today "I want to see everyone IN HERE tomorrow at normal time" from the Expedition driving boss who on Friday said "can't you just click it in 4wd?" to everyone, literally not understanding why that isn't possible in the variety of a Grand Prix, my G8, a Mazda 6 and so on. But that's life.

Yesterday I was warned "no way" and that I'd never make it to the main road without inflicting serious damage. Today the report back from the Subie driver was "you probably can"...and it's going to be snowing, then raining, then sleeting, and snowing more probably up to another 6" Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. Cha ching!

Yay. I Tweeted this to Borger after we finally got the driveway dug out, mostly:

"No like, Zeta really no like."

Image00067.jpg

I'll upload more later. Crazy stuff. This was my favorite from today, sent by a co-worker in Rehoboth along the road at one of the Tanger outlets on Rt. 1.

IMG_1349.jpg

Throughout a snow storm, we clear the cars off regularly just so we don't have to dig 3ft off...hence why they don't look THAT covered. Just enough.

This was Saturday.

Image00008.jpg

Then it started to really come, after a rain interruption.

Image00016.jpg

Image00018.jpg

Image00024.jpg

Image00026.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor