JD Power Vehicle Dependability Scores

Normal person: "Look the sky is blue!"

Consumer Reports: "We all agree here that the sky is really green."

Normal person: "No, really... Look! The sky is blue!"

Consumer Reports: "We collected years of error-filled, biased data and all confirm that you are wrong and the sky is green."

Normal Person: "You guys are a bunch of "holier-than-thou" jerk-offs. I'll take your magazine and shove it up my ass!"

Asshole that reads and quotes Consumer Reports as scripture: "Isn't the clear green sky beautiful today?"

NOTE: Before someone "defends" the idiots at ####sumer Reports, make sure you read the above article at the link. If you still feel like defending them, then the magazine is written right at your grade level. You're a perfect match.

Normal person:  "Look the sky is blue!"

Consumer Reports:  "We all agree here that the sky is really green."

Normal person:  "No, really... Look!  The sky is blue!"

Consumer Reports:  "We collected years of error-filled, biased data and all confirm that you are wrong and the sky is green."

Normal Person:  "You guys are a bunch of "holier-than-thou" jerk-offs.  I'll take your magazine and shove it up my ass!"

Asshole that reads and quotes Consumer Reports as scripture:  "Isn't the clear green sky beautiful today?"

NOTE:  Before someone "defends" the idiots at ####sumer Reports, make sure you read the above article at the link.  If you still feel like defending them, then the magazine is written right at your grade level.  You're a perfect match.

LMAO!! Very funny. One thing... you forgot the JDPower observations....

Normal Person: "look the sky is blue!"

JDPower: "Yes it is blue and the scientific analysis support that the sky is blue"

Consumer Reports: "Have some koolaid before looking up at the sky - you will then see that it is very green..."

Checking with Consumer Reports was there first mistake! There reliabilty reports go against anything I have seen for vehicles on the domestics. This magazine is ok at testing appliances and Toyotas but there reliabilty ratings are so for Asian makes it's pathetic. I'm amazed that they actually admitted that the European's are last on the reliability list.

When Consumer Reports divested itself from facts to opinions like seat comfort, it lost credibility. And the difference between CR and, say, Automobile is when you read a copy of Automobile, you know you're reading one man's opinion, filled with his likes, dislikes, quirks, and biases. CR tries to pass themselves off as pure science and fact and when the facts lay themselves down in such contrast to what CR is saying...well...yeah...

Consumer Reports:  "We collected years of error-filled, biased data and all confirm that you are wrong and the sky is green."

Normal Person:  "You guys are a bunch of "holier-than-thou" jerk-offs.  I'll take your magazine and shove it up my ass!"

Asshole that reads and quotes Consumer Reports as scripture:  "Isn't the clear green sky beautiful today?"

Actually it's more like this:

Blind person 1: "Look the sky is green!"

Blind person 2: "Look! The sky is green!"

Normal person: "Look! The sky is blue!"

Consumer Reports: "2 out of 3 people think that the sky is green. Therefore, the sky is green."

Consumer Reports relies on reports from their readers for their rankings. (hence the name of the publication). As we all know, quality is subjective, therefore, if a bias exists in the publics mind (like American cars are junk), then it will be reflected in Consumer Reports rankings.

Randy

NOTE:  Before someone "defends" the idiots at ####sumer Reports, make sure you read the above article at the link.  If you still feel like defending them, then the magazine is written right at your grade level.  You're a perfect match.

Consumer reports is simply one of a long list of sources for information. I do not beleive anyone should take what one source says as the definitive word on a vehicle. Read what they have to say, use your own judgements about each point they make. If they bring up something negative, look more into it to see if that negative point applies to you.

Anyone implying (or outright stating) that people who agree with the 'idiots' at consumer reports are at the same intelectual level...may be showing themselves to be not that bright...by showing they are unable to read an article and take bits and pieces from it...instead of only looking at the conclusion it makes and then judging the magazine by that.

It is a source of information. People are unlikely to agree with ANY source 100%. Use it as a way to gather information and opinions (ones you agree with or disagree with) before making a decision on your own.

To do anything more than that is akin to feeling the need to find someone who agrees with your opinion 100% and bashing those who don't.

Edited by mjd1001

LMMFAO!!!!!!!

:rotflmao:

:CG_all:

Anyone implying (or outright stating) that people who agree with the 'idiots' at consumer reports are at the same intelectual level...may be showing themselves to be not that bright...by showing they are unable to read an article and take bits and pieces from it...instead of only looking at the conclusion it makes and then judging the magazine by that.

MANY people take CR as gospel... In fact, my Psychology professor from last semester (A Dr. and an admitted Toyota humper) repeatedly endorsed CR and Asian cars. Then I asked him one day (In front of the class, after one of his CR boastings) Doesn't the book say in this chapter that we should NEVER take testimonials as a reliable source of data. He said "yes" and I said "Isn't Consumer Reports a narrowly focused testimonial based magazine?" After a bit of shock, he said "Yes, but, it's a lot more than just a few testimonies." Which 1) is just a means of justification or rationalization and 2) In actuality, CR surveys are a vast MINORITY of new cars sold in america.

He was a good sport though... I aced the class and to boot, I did a major assignment on why the image of the Prius and Toyota are for the gullible only.

Here's all you need to remember from this survey: On average, Ford and GM brands are more reliable than the average Japanese brand.

This is also the case with European brands.

This applies to initial quality too.

Now why is the media keeping this type of information quiet? They used to tout these surveys when GM and Ford were below average.

Why is Consumer Reports the source the media points to now for reliability? Can you say media bias?

Mark

Edited by usa1

I would hope Caddy and Buick have better ratings than Toyota considering they are luxury brands.

You're dismissing this too lightly... they're also beating Acura, Infiniti, Subaru, Mercedes, VW, Audi, & BMW.

And yes, "I hope GMRULES again", this info has been out since last year, but in the search to dig up more dirt to pile upon Detroit's woes a media outlet decided to report on some good news that it uncovered. It's good to be reminded of the positive. The next VDS will be out by June. I can't wait to see it.

LMAO!!  Very funny.  One thing... you forgot the JDPower observations....

Normal Person: "look the sky is blue!"

JDPower: "Yes it is blue and the scientific analysis support that the sky is blue"

Consumer Reports:  "Have some koolaid before looking up at the sky - you will then see that it is very green..."

Finally, some posts with factual data AND a sense of humor!!

thanks for making my surfing night.

How do you think it would factor in?  Of course Mercedes should be better than Toyota but it is far from it.

But there are people out there who will say American car companies cant make ANY quality cars, then go get in their Toyota, which in reality probably cost as much as a comparable Buick.

I would also like to know why the negativity is always directed at American cars. I never hear or read anywhere that Germany cant build quality cars, so I bought Japanese. It's always American sucks, Japanese good.

Cadillac and Buick ranked higher than Toyota and Honda in reliability survey.    Other GM brands hovering around average and are much better than Nissan.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/23/Autos/amer..._cars/index.htm

Seems like one of the more sympathetic, objective articles I've seen in a while...they even attempt to explain the reasons for American automobile's bad reputation. They said what get's commonly said on this very board.

I see this as a good thing. Damn, I would love to be optimistic. A couple more years of quality and reliability, and the press in general might start coming back around. Each time I read an article like this, I get a little hope that we might truly be on an upswing, and not in the middle of a small blip on a downward slide.

i'm not sure what's in the VDS survey, but seems to me (and I'm not positive) the IQS includes quantitative answers by the respondents and not just qualitative ones. ie. the car is noisy at highway speeds. the tires make too much noise. none of that has anything to do with 'quality' or quality as jdp is presenting it. how many times the tire fell off at highway speeds is a quality issue.