Irritating slang

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot: what I meant by how you "stack up" isn't how you replied - it had to do with you as a complete being (your brains, your job, your wallet, your personality, your looks, and whatever other criteria is being evaluated) but, as they would say in California, "thank you for sharing."

My sentiments exactly. I also can't stand it when people pronounce words incorrectly ("pacific" in place of "specific" is a good example of one I hear a lot.).

As far as dialects go, I've been told I speak with an accent by people who aren't from around here. I never really picked up on it though, because I've lived in this area all my life.

Trust me on this, you do speak with an accent - the same one I speak with. It's known to some by the highly complimentary name "Philly nasal". We sound a bit like we are talking through our noses.

We also have some interesting dialect.

Water is often "wooder"

Did you eat? can be "D'jeet?" the response can be "No, d'joo?" (No, did you?)

Oh yeah, "YO" was very Philly long before Rap

We have some pretty wild place names too.

Can any of you folks pronounce these names correctly?

Schuylkill

Bala Cynwyd

Berwyn

Have our share of strange ones too:

King of Prussia is a place

And OCN should recognise these (because of where he lives)

Blue Ball

Intercourse

Bird in Hand

Paradise

Yup, those are all the names of towns. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is...

...there are more! :lol:

Trust me on this, you do speak with an accent - the same one I speak with. It's known to some by the highly complimentary name "Philly nasal". We sound a bit like we are talking through our noses.

Isn't there also a Broad Axe?

And, aren't you from the other side of the state that would spare you from the Philly nasal? 90 miles from NYC and it's a different accent .... go figure.

Can anyone define "Macked in the dome?" I head that one day at school... WTF? I know what it means, btw, but it really annoys me that someone would use such a stupid... whatever the hell it's called. :blink:

BV - ummm... this explaination is going to be graphic....

You know the sound a girls butt makes when it slaps against a guys hips? That's the "mack" sound. So to "mack" is to... have sex. I don't know what dome they were talking about though.

Did you eat?  can be "D'jeet?"  the response can be "No, d'joo?" (No, did you?)

That can also be heard up here...

Can any of you folks pronounce these names correctly?

Schuylkill

I can! :D

BV - ummm... this explaination is going to be graphic....

You know the sound a girls butt makes when it slaps against a guys hips? That's the "mack" sound. So to "mack" is to... have sex. I don't know what dome they were talking about though.

Well... they must have different definitions where you live. Here, people have the idea that it means to get hit on the head. Regardless, it's stupid and annoying. I'm going to freak out on the next person to use it. It's "hit" and "head", people... :blink:<_<

I interrupt this "white guys who hate everything" circle jerk to debunk something:

There's no such thing as "Ebonics"

And even if there was, it's not the all-inclusive term for every word, spelling, dialect, accent, and abuse of grammar you simply don't like.

I don't care if a Black person from Oakland coined the term. It's racist, and overall makes you sound uninformed. Knock it off.

Now, back to the point of the post.

I can't stand:

-The use of "soooo" (even though I broke the rule in another post). I grew up hearing it in the context of a complete sentence. Like "Your mother's SO fat that the heels of her brand new shoes are thinner than toilet paper." It used to be followed by something that gives you an idea or paints a picture. Now people just go "he's SO gay" or "you are SOOO not going with me." Oh well, it's here to stay now, there's nothing I can do about it.

-Affected dialects, accents, and slang. When you're trying too hard, you're trying too hard. Be yourself.

-Along that vein, the whole trend towards deep Southern slurring that everyone got from rappers of the same region. All that "thurr" and "scurred" (while I'll admit that "Don't get scurred" is kinda funny in the right context) gets on my nerves on record, but definitely makes me wanna rabbit punch you if you're not from down there.

-When people act like they just have to curse or else they can't speak. Whether in music or in real life, it's not cute. In my house, you watch your mouth, and if you keep breaking the rule, I just kick you out. A curse is okay in moderation, but a lot of you really need to pace yourselves.

-In the past 15 years, turning EVERYTHING into sexual innuendo. From "act right" to "brain," I've heard so much that I fear for what's okay to say in 20 years. Again, while some are pretty funny, or even useful, it's a frat boy mentality that's really gotten out of hand.

-"Pacific" instead of "specific" used to annoy me too. If I heard someone say something like "there's no pacific way to do it," I'd retun that volley with "Is there an Atlantic way?" Corny, but it illustrated my point to them.

-Calling Hip-Hop related stuff "gangsta" (more on this term later); calling things that are simply street "Hip-Hop", calling popular Black music "urban music"; calling what's clearly R&B "Hip-Hop". Now the breakdown:

--Not everything in Hip-Hop culture has to do with gangs or crime. Most Hip-Hop fans are too old or nerdy to gang-bang, and we don't all think we're hard. Hip-Hop is mostly made by regular people who might happen to be street, or might not be. Nothing "gangsta" about that.

--The term "gangsta," when spelled and pronounced that way by people who obviously don't talk like that on the reg, comes off as a way to condescend or illegitimize something that people really go through. There's nothing silly or illegitimate about street gangs and the gangstERS in them. You never hear the mafia referred to as "gangsta" (or for that matter, what they really are...terrorists. But that's another thread). Gangsters are criminals, really dangerous people, and most who make or like rap are none of those things.

--Things that come that from the street that you don't like aren't necessarily products of Hip-Hop, or incorporated into Hip-Hop. Screw an example, that should simply be understood.

--"Urban" means "of the city." Many forms of popular Black music didn't even develop in the city period, let alone the inner city.

--A person that's CLEARLY an R&B singer can sing over a beat that happens to be more suited to a rapper...DOESN'T MEAN they are Hip-Hop. Real B-boys I know see nothing Hip-Hop in records like those. Neither should MTV, the RIAA, or you.[/that rant]

-The term "in this bitch." I find it annoying too. Just more unnecessary vulgarity that doesn't even sound correct.

-What the hell are "dreadlocks?" "Dread" means hate. The people who have locks or roots don't hate their hair. Though sometimes, in order to not be anal, one'll let another call it that or use it a reference point to keep things moving. But the term isn't correct. And no, they're not Jamaican or Rasta in most cases.

-The term "good hair." Kind of a Black thing, but it has a lot to do with self-hate.

-When white people call something "ghetto" (like a valley girl saying something is "so ghetto"), there's something not kosher about that.

-Use of non-words (e.g irregardless, devilishment). It's not "conversate," it's "converse."

-I hate when people put "mama" and "daddy" together (and still use those two when they're grown adults). Last time I checked, Mama's mate is called Papa, and Daddy's mate is called Mommy. But again, once you're older than 13, just say Mom and Dad.

-And finally, on the speaking side, I hate when people use the wrong race or nationality to refer to someone. I've heard Blacks who think this sort of thing is cute be the biggest offenders when it comes to this, but everyone is guilty. Mexicans aren't the only Latins. Chinese aren't the only Asians. Not all darker-skinned Asian people with straight hair (who may or may not be Muslim) are Arabs. Muslim is not a race. Jewish is not a race.

Alright, now to the writing side (most of this crap is what happens on the damn Internet):

-People, figure out your "haves" and "ofs."

--Kind OF

--Sort OF

--Might HAVE

--Could HAVE

--Should HAVE

--Would HAVE

-Stop putting U between your ORs (as in colour or favourite) when you're AMERICAN.

-Don't Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence.

-Stop not punctuating in a frickin' paragraph. That's called a run-on sentence, and it's really annoying (made even worse when some A-hole puts a period at the very end of the post after ignoring punctuation all along).

-When in doubt (which a lot of you need to be), it's called picking up a dictionary or going to the AOL keyword of the same name. Being on the internet and yelling "this ain't English class" is not an excuse to write like an idiot.

-Spelling with Z's where S should be, or using "Da" instead of "The" is corny to death. Plain and simple. Besides, "azz" pronounces clumsily. By and large, none of that sort of thing (or any of the other earlier offenders) makes you hip.

Basically with me, use language correctly and don't overdo anything.

Edited by LosAngeles

How about when someone describes something unappealing to them as "like ass". Examples:

This chicken tastes like ass.

That painting looks like ass.

I hate that...especially the "tastes like ass" one. First of all, that's disgusting. Second of all, how do you know what ass tastes like?

LA, not to be argumentative, but there are a couple things I disagree with:

As far as I'm concerned, when certain universities offer courses in Ebonics, it must exist.

"Jewish" is both a religion and a race. There are many people who are ethnically Jewish and do not practice, and there are some practicing who are not ethnic, but there is a definite genetic pool (generations and generations of forming clans and being excluded from the rest of society tends to produce that).

Otherwise I agree with most of what you said.

I can't stand the "ur" way to type your. Actually, I'm getting tired of how the "AOL way" to type is spreading around the internet. I bet over the next 10 years the ability to spell will spiral downward because most people simply don't take the time to correctly type a word. Now, I don't always use all punctuation and capitalization when I'm on an instant messenger (but I rarely shorten words like "ur"), but on message boards and other places where I am trying to clearly express ideas, I use correct punctuation and capitalization.

I agree with LA about everything being turned into a sexual innuendo these days. It's annoying and immature. It's getting to the point where almost anything can be turned into a sexual innuendo.

And I can't stand L337 in any form. Nothing is more lame than creating your own computer language that only you and your online gaming buddies can understand.

I have a cousin that says "ell" for words that you would normally pronounce "ale." One time at work, he said to me "Go make a bale" (when cardboard boxes are crushed and wire is wrapped around them), but to me it sounded like "Go make a bell." I said "Go make a bell?" and he was like "Yeah, you know, a bell." It took a couple minutes for me to realize that he meant bale instead of bell, but that small indiscrepency in pronunciation makes a hell of a difference.

Edited by mustang84

Being as indecipherable as the post was, I had to try to hash it out. First I tried to find the subject of the verb, but that got me nowhere fast. Then I thought I would try to find the period at the end of the sentence, but I was thwarted by a comma. Let's try this again, but without sounding like you are using what ever the heck that british rhyming slang is. Oder Sie können die Sache auf Deutsch schreiben, ja?

Translate the last line. The first thing I learned in German was "Eine gros schwarze frau" (sp) which isn't too cool but was walking by me and a German speaking grad student in Champaign Illinois.

One of the things that I hate the most is:

Git'r done.

It just makes my blood boil. Damn hicks!

It sort of bothers me when people don't completely pronounce the consonants at the end of a word, like "don't", instead of enunciating the "T", it sounds more like bone, but with a D.

-When people act like they just have to curse or else they can't speak. Whether in music or in real life, it's not cute. In my house, you watch your mouth, and if you keep breaking the rule, I just kick you out. A curse is okay in moderation, but a lot of you really need to pace yourselves.

I hate when people refer to certain words as "curse words." Words are not cursed, people. If I say "f@#k", I am not going to be cursed. If I say "damn", I am not going to be cursed. If I say "&#036;h&#33;", I am not going to be cursed... and so on. Words are just words. Certain words are not more special than others. They're not going to hurt you. I just find this to be extremely stupid and annoying...

Sorry to use you as an example, LA.

I hate that...especially the "tastes like ass" one. First of all, that's disgusting. Second of all, how do you know what ass tastes like?

Um... because a friend of mine told me... :unsure::D He's f**king disgusting, but yeah...

They call them "curse words" because they are words used when cursing.

Cursing... coming from the same thing. You are not cursing someone/something by saying those words. That's what I mean. There is no reason to attach any form of "curse" to any words what-so-ever. I just don't like it. Words are words to me.

One of the things that I hate the most is:

Git'r done.

It just makes my blood boil. Damn hicks!

AUGH, I hate thart &#036;h&#33; too. I'm really tired of hearing and seeing it all over the place; Larry The Cable Guy isn't even all that funny, he's stupid IMO. Git 'er Done just makes people sound retarded.

Oh, you know what else is really pissing me off lately? When people use "your" when it is supposed to be "you're". It just irritates the crap out of me.

Their vs. They're

Its vs. It's

Cursing... coming from the same thing. You are not cursing someone/something by saying those words. That's what I mean. There is no reason to attach any form of "curse" to any words what-so-ever. I just don't like it. Words are words to me.

But when you say "Damn it!" That kind of is a curse--damning it. To curse also means to swear, and since words can have various meanings (though these two meanings are very obviously related) I don't see the big deal...

I hate when people refer to certain words as "curse words." Words are not cursed, people. If I say "f@#k", I am not going to be cursed. If I say "damn", I am not going to be cursed. If I say "&#036;h&#33;", I am not going to be cursed... and so on. Words are just words. Certain words are not more special than others. They're not going to hurt you. I just find this to be extremely stupid and annoying...

Sorry to use you as an example, LA.

Um... because a friend of mine told me... :unsure::D He's f**king disgusting, but yeah...

Plain and simple, my friend, it's been established that these words are vulgar...and as such, shows one's lack of class when abusing them.

If one likes using curses, they need to just say they like to curse, instead of making excuses for these words.

Plain and simple, my friend, it's been established that these words are vulgar...and as such, shows one's lack of class when abusing them.

If one likes using curses, they need to just say they like to curse, instead of making excuses for these words.

Yup. There ya go.

AUGH, I hate thart &#036;h&#33; too. I'm really tired of hearing and seeing it all over the place; Larry The Cable Guy isn't even all that funny, he's stupid IMO. Git 'er Done just makes people sound retarded.

Try being from a town named Dunn. That leads to a lot of fun greetings.

Me: I'm from a small down named Dunn.

Person: Haha, Git 'R Dunn!

Me: dies a little inside.

There's no such thing as "Ebonics"

And even if there was, it's not the all-inclusive term for every word, spelling, dialect, accent, and abuse of grammar you simply don't like.

I don't care if a Black person from Oakland coined the term.  It's racist, and overall makes you sound uninformed.  Knock it off.

Relax, LA, buddy. While there might not be such a term, that Oakland reference you bring up is correct and the news media itself talked about "Ebonics" being adopted by the Oakland school district as an issue.

Let's face it...surfers have their own words, as well as inflection, particular to their segment of society and we take pokes at it...look at "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." The movie relied on that to make it beyond hysterically funny.

Then, there are ways of indicating things which are exclusively used by black people. In a college sociology class, I learned the term "deuce and a quarter" referring to the Electra 225 as coined primarily in the black, or African American, community. (Learn something new every day, for that matter). Now, have you ever heard a white person say "Walk on, child!" ?

I think we have to see what side of the fence we are on: Are we chuckling at idiosyncrasies or are we being hateful? Hopefully, we are only doing the former.

Edited by trinacriabob

But when you say "Damn it!" That kind of is a curse--damning it.  To curse also means to swear, and since words can have various meanings (though these two meanings are very obviously related) I don't see the big deal...

Alrighty then, LA... It's still my opinion that associating anything along the lines of "curse" to certain words is just so silly. "Oh my god!!! ..If I say 'f@#k' I'm going to be cursed to hell forever!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaahhhh!!!!!!!" See? Simply silly and stupid, IMO.

Also, Sirs, I don't like to curse... I just don't see anything wrong with it since there's nothing "cursed" about it. Did I ever say I was completely against any form of censorship? Yeah... It's all silly to me. Lack of class? Well... those are my beliefs... Get over it. :D

Edited by blackviper8891

Whats "ebonics" Im assuming thats what they are calling street rap* ?

*my term

LA, you have some code of ethics there, hats off to ya B) Thats how I was raised. Its been downhill from there though :lol:

I could care less how people talk, its how they act that I watch. If they need to swear away loudly in public to see if everyone will look at them, well we all know what they are. If someone is just talking and something slips out no big deal. then again Im labor force NYer so every other word must begin with an F....all words need an initial description :lol: but not in public or sociolizing...work is another story. If they talk like hillbillys I dont care, if they act like idiots I do care, unless Im in an idiot mood......then its OK.

By 18 years ago my hillybilly slang had gotten so bad I actually had to start working on putting more effort into speaking again. I did have a daughter to raise and teach. Some of my comrades were even having problems understanding me, thats when I realized how blured my speach had become :lol:

yur - Is universal, I see alot of terms used in other areas that are common here in Upstate NY too. Long live Appalacha ! Salt of the earth.......we speak American....Old American. :metal:

Prolly rural Ohio.  Rural Hoosiers drawl too.

Croc - I'm glad you said it first. Me and a friend from YOUR state sat around once to look up the meaning of the word Hoosier. We found several meanings in dictionaries, the least flattering of which was "an ignorant rustic." It was good for a laugh.

Seriously, though, I visited a friend at IU and ate as a guest in a graduate housing complex (meaning I had to pay because I wasn't on their plan). It was a Friday and there was cod. The lady behind the line, a townie or a Southern Indiana type, with the requisite bun hair in a net, looks at me and says:

"You won feesh, eej ya?"

I was dumbfounded.

The words were actually:

"You want fish, is you?"

My friend who was from the area had to TRANSLATE.

The other one I've heard is:

"Hoosier daddy? Hoosier momma"?

"Hoosier" is just a term for anyone from Indiana. Origin unknown. I love a Southern Hoosier accent (not what you heard). The people who know English, yet have that Evansville twang...that's hot. My fourth grade teacher had that, and it just added to her hotness (every guy had a crush on her). What you heard was just someone who was likely poor and very "rough around the edges."

IU is great...best party school bar none.

"You won feesh, eej ya?"

correction :

Did you want fish, did you ?....or shortened

You want fish? did ya?

you would find that that came right off the boat from Ireland, Scotland or England

"so ya caught yur death of cold, did ya ?"

"you need'nt be gettin your pantys all in a bunch there lass"

see what I be gettin at ? does ya ?

:lol:

Ebonics is a racist term. Ohkay...

Were you being sarcastic?

If anything is "ebonic," IMO, it's vocal tone. Even then anyone can sound like that.

I remember once I was in a 7-Eleven. This white guy, about 40ish, was at the counter asking for whatever and paying for it, and his accent sounded strange to me, so I asked him "Where are YOU from?"

He said "I'm from L.A."

"Interesting. Sounded like you were from elsewhere or something."

[with a smile] "Well, I grew up off of Western and Manchester"...predominantly Black area on the south side, for those who don't know.

Anyway, back to the point, to say you don't like a certain word, dialect, accent, or grammar form is one thing. To basically attribute anythign bad about the English language to Black people by calling it "Ebonics" does all people a disservice...and it's definitely racist.

And to BV, curses simply aren't classy words to use. The saying "Do you kiss your mom/grandmother/kids with that mouth?" exists for a reason. If it was OK to use such in polite company, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

To basically attribute anythign bad about the English language to Black people by calling it "Ebonics" does all people a disservice...and it's definitely racist.

I think this is you who interprets it in that fashion and not the vast majority of the people, otherwise all corruptions of the English language from "ya'll" to "wicked" to "don'tcha'know?" to "gnarly" that people find annoying would be collectively referred to as Ebonics. There are certain phrases and words used predominately or created by American blacks in the same way that New Englanders, Southerns, et al have similar.

Ebonics Statement by CAL

And to BV, curses simply aren't classy words to use.  The saying "Do you kiss your mom/grandmother/kids with that mouth?" exists for a reason.  If it was OK to use such in polite company, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Well, maybe it's how I was raised... It's alright to say those words in my family. From me, my parents, my grandparents... We all say them, and there's never a problem by doing so. So, for me, I don't see what the big deal is about these words. They're just words, I'm not going to be cursed by saying them.

Still, it's not like I abuse these words. I only say them in front of family and friends (C&G counts as friends as far as I'm concerned). Otherwise, it's not like I blurt these words out in public just for the sake of saying them. When I do, it's because I'm used it. As in it's natural to me, in some instances.

Regardless, my original arguement was about labeling them as "curses". Whether you approve of the usage of such words or not, you cannot tell me that calling these words "curses" is correct. Again, they're not curses as neither I or anyone else is going to be cursed when such words are said. Therefore, for me, it fits into "Expressions/grammar that BUG you." That is the idea of this thread, FYI.

I think this is you who interprets it in that fashion and not the vast majority of the people, otherwise all corruptions of the English language from "ya'll" to "wicked" to "don'tcha'know?" to "gnarly" that people find annoying would be collectively referred to as Ebonics. There are certain phrases and words used predominately or created by American blacks in the same way that New Englanders, Southerns, et al have similar.

Ebonics Statement by CAL

We're seeing this through different eyes here.

You're speaking on the world at large, and you're correct about that, but that wasn't what I was trying to say...we agree there. I'm speaking on what I'm seeing on here (as well as many other clowns outside of this site who I've heard go there), and I feel I'm correct in speaking out about it.

I never did like the term. While it may have come from good intentions, I thought it was one of the dumbest ideas on the planet, and a dangerous one to put out there...and hence, you see what's going on now. You know the saying about more rope to hang yourself with.

But you know what, let's agree to disagree here.

Hmm.

As far as I know Ebonics (Ebony+Phonics) was a name given to a proposed "alternative" to teaching English in predominantly black urban centers which tried to legitimize common street slang. It was a stupid idea. If I were black the proposal would have deeply offended me as it implies that urban blacks are incapable of learning standard english. It was even promoted as an " equal but separate" form of english.

Absurd.

Hmm.

As far as I know Ebonics (Ebony+Phonics) was a name given to a proposed "alternative" to teaching English in predominantly black urban centers which tried to legitimize common street slang. It was a stupid idea. If I were black the proposal would have deeply offended me as it implies that urban blacks are incapable of learning standard english. It was even promoted as an " equal but separate" form of english.

Absurd.

Thanks for making another part of my point.

Furthermore, the way to legitimize a word is for it to be in the dictionary.