Irritating slang

I'd like to think I speak "standard broadcast English" (no accent, clean pronunciation) so certain expressions bug me:

Low end:

Irregardless - actually, it's now an accepted word, though it shouldn't be

Mid-range:

He or she (singular) is "good people" - that is asinine

Drum roll:

Across pronounced "acrost." Where the f*** is there a "t" at the end? I never heard this in So Cal but I have heard it in Nor Cal and the Pac NW. I am wondering if it is an importation from the Donner Party days when people from the interior were migrating out West and it was handed down through the generations.

Any expressions or word construction that bug you?

Edited by trinacriabob

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all might think its funny, but its not pop or soda here, its all coke....no matter if its pepsi, mountain dew, sprite, its all coke to us.

And here in ASSachusetts, we call it tonic; just another reason why us Massholes are wicked retahded.

76, I know your friends aren't THAT bad, and neither am I to tell you the truth. But anybody that lives here ALWAYS knows somebody that is.

"Aw yah, so durin'at last Nawreastah me and Sully was doin' donuts in my Wagoneeah in the pahkin lot at Kappy's Likkiz in Medfid; it was wicked pissah."

This is from the state that has some of the best schools in the entire world. :blink:

Edited by XP715

I hate 'gangsta' slang in general...i know i'm a hypocrite...but i usually only use it when i'm tryin to be annoying or funny. a couple of my friends take it upon them self to talk 'gangsta' since we lack an real 'gangstas' in my school. It just really bugs me because they are both WHITE MORMONS...I WANNA DROP KICK THEIR HEADS EVERYTIME THEY SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT. and they are really racist...which bugs cuz i'm hispanic...but thats another story....

No offense to anyone of the above mentioned races or religions...just tryin to say why it annoys me...

people that say clicker instead of remote...that really bugs me too...

and people that say wuff instead of wolf...GAHH...i guess i'm just real easy to annoy...

Edited by PONTIAC06

People who say "soda" instead of "pop". :P I can't stand it... It sounds so weird to me.

I agree...get it right, people. :P

I can't stand the line "I'm not gonna lie"...it's starting to die off, but too many people still say it.

Also, "rocks my socks", "rocks my face off", and any other combination with rocks my something just needs to die a slow death. Facebook groups seem to be the worst offenders.

Also, this isn't exactly spoken slang, but I can't stand it when people on Facebook and MySpace try to "design" their page by typing.everything.like.this. it.makes.it.so.hard.to.read.laments.about.your.melancholy.life.and.browse.your.l

ist.of.five.million.bands.that.no.one.has.ever.heard.of.with.obscure.names.like.T

ears.Of.A.Yellow.Hammer.

Also, you get the people that cant seem to use punctuation and r 2 lazee to take th tyme 2 spel corektly bcuz u look kooler when u forget about grammr, spellin and all that bs

Americans who haven't learned the word touque. (say the word "too", then the beginning of the word "question").

HAT: Posted Image

TOUQUE: Posted Image

Also - not sure if it really qualifies as slang, but another thing that annoys me is the need some Americans feel to talk about everyones government as "Democrats" or "Republicans". It's not always that simple.

People that use 'Ax' instead of Ask.  Bugs the living sh*t outta me.

Who do you hang out with? That falls under Ebonics. And you don't want to get me going down that path because I love that stuff.

How about people who are too lazy to say the whole freaking word? Examples:

Mickey-D's

KFC

J-Lo

A-Rod

People that use 'Ax' instead of Ask.  Bugs the living sh*t outta me.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I've grown more tolerant of ebonics in the district I currently teach in, but my God, things like totally leaving verbs out of questions or phrases, KILLS ME!

"Where he?"

Or adding "yo" at the end of everything. This 17-year old girl in resource room yesterday was going to have me crying it was driving me nuts. "We gotta go chill at the club, yo."

Oh, and, "Thass whack."

Oh, and this one guy I dated ONCE and he did this, I swear, could have stabbed him with a dinner fork it drove me nuts: "I'm a computer programmer over heah... so you tell me you're a teacher over theah. You're so funny Pawlie, you killin' me over heah."

I mean, we're physically 3 freaking feet apart from each other and he's gotta keep talking about our distance over here and there. UGH!

Oh, and calling it "gravy" instead of "sauce".

Edited by Paolino

To be fair, KFC advertises themselves as KFC. Apparently there is a bad stigma with the word "Fried".... can't think what that might be though.

Yes, KFC got rid of the 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' name years ago....because they do more than fried chicken.

I work in a world full of TLAs (three-letter-acronyms) so I use them everyday (JMS, JSP, RMI, SLA, SOA, EJB, EBF, JGC, EDI, and many four- and five-letter ones..)

Two of my top three have already been mentioned.

ax or axe for ask

acrosst for across (I hate this one more than I hate Toyota)

I'll add the third.

Yous and yous guys for you (nothing says "moron" like using these)

Generally, any hip-hop,gangsta,rap related slang annoys me but I can mostly ignore it. Language is a process that is ongoing and slang is the vehicle of its evolution. Like physical evolution, most slang "mutations" are dead -ends and soon fade from use- only a very few eventually find a legitimate place in language.

What bothers me most isn't the slang itself, but the inability to speak any other way or when it is obvious that the speaker doesn't come by the slang honestly.

I used to be buggeed by a lot but I don;t really care anymore. Some examples of what I think are retarded slang:

ebonics the fact that this word exists makes me both mad & doubtful of humanity's future

Snoop Slang Funny Example

Balla' This slang is in my opinion less inteligent than Cro-magnon Speak

Holla' at me! It's called a phone... <_<

you know how we do it ...no actualy I have no idea WTF you're saying

fly as in: "that girl is fly" (esp. when white people use this expression)

XP: New England isn't that bad. We can still comunicate with most english-speaking people from Australia, UK, Ireland... But down south a few regions have people who really do have their own rapid fire dialect that is completely out of touch with the english language.

I think ICP have a good way of imitating it. :P

Tonic? I've never heard someone use that and I've been living here for 19 years. I think it's on of those old-timer things. 'Pop' I've heard in N.E. a few times.

BTW: I'm going along with the nature of this thread but just as a disclaimer I'm not saying I'm racist against african americans or dixy flag waving hicks, I just think some of them do not speak correctly and/or effectivelly.

As you guys may have noticed I use some of these in a humorous setting. Instead of getting upset at how retarded they are I use them in a corny way to hopefully kill them with my goofy white context.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Americans who haven't learned the word touque. (say the word "too", then the beginning of the word "question").

Uhhhh maybe because in America we call those "skull caps" and that is infinitely easier to say (as well as not being French).

Croc: skull caps are those orthodox Jewish hats. A touque is something you wear in the winter that goes over your ears.

Yamulkahs are the Jewish caps. I guess they could be termed skull caps as well, but in America when someone says "skull cap" this is usually what is called to mind:

Posted Image

These were a huge trend in the States 2-3 years ago.

Edited by Croc

Tonic? I've never heard someone use that and I've been living here for 19 years. I think it's on of those old-timer things. 'Pop' I've heard in N.E. a few times.

I think that's a Boston thing. I grew up in western Mass and we called "Soda"

We also didn't have nearly as pronounced an accent.

However, people here in SoCal tell me that sometimes I sound just like Katharine Hepburn

:blink:

XP: New England isn't that bad. We can still comunicate with most english-speaking people from Australia, UK, Ireland... But down south a few regions have people who really do have their own rapid fire dialect that is completely out of touch with the english language.

I've never noticed anyone from Connecticut speak with any discernable dialect or accent.

BTW: I'm going along with the nature of this thread but just as a disclaimer I'm not saying I'm racist against african americans or dixy flag waving hicks, I just think some of them do not speak correctly and/or effectivelly.

I'm African-American and I can't be bothered with Ebonics, either. I just don't feel right talking in it.

Edited by VarianceJ30

I've never noticed anyone from Connecticut speak with any discernable dialect or accent.

I'm African-American and I can't be bothered with Ebonics, either. I just don't feel right talking in it.

&#036;h&#33; I keep forgeting you're right in Conn... we should hang out next summer at some half-way carshow like in Worcester or whatever. :)

As far as ebonics I think it's insulting to A.A.s I mean even the most ghetto-speaking person can speak well IF they make an effort. I've known a few guys from Worcester, J.P. (Jamaica Plain in Boston) and even the Bronx and they can all speak perfectly fine if it's in a classroom/business setting.

Even the exchange student from Kenya spoke well enough for anyone ot understand him. As a matter of fact some people with thick accents speak better than most of us. They make it a point to annouciate and pronounce the whole word.

Its "yarmulke"

Sorry, every was arguing semantics, I wanted to argue spelling.

Sounds more like arguing "semetics". :P^_^

But seriously: my current most hated expression is using the word "sick" to describe somthing very good. "Man, look at that car, that is sick!" I mean, WTH? To me the word "sick" conveys a negative image, usually an unpleasant one. True, it is in the same vein as using the word "bad" in the same way, and you can argue they're interchangeable that way, but somehow "bad" doesn't seem as out of place in that sentiment, maybe because bad is sometimes good- or at least appealing.

Otherwise, yes, "hella good" is another one (altho I do like that song, and Gwen Stefani- rrrAAARRrrr!), along with little internet things like "w00t". I am getting older, tho... :mellow: