trinacriabob

Irritating slang

188 posts in this topic

trinacriabob    21

I'd like to think I speak "standard broadcast English" (no accent, clean pronunciation) so certain expressions bug me:

Low end:

Irregardless - actually, it's now an accepted word, though it shouldn't be

Mid-range:

He or she (singular) is "good people" - that is asinine

Drum roll:

Across pronounced "acrost." Where the f*** is there a "t" at the end? I never heard this in So Cal but I have heard it in Nor Cal and the Pac NW. I am wondering if it is an importation from the Donner Party days when people from the interior were migrating out West and it was handed down through the generations.

Any expressions or word construction that bug you?

Edited by trinacriabob

XP715    6

I live in Massachusetts, so any complaints you may have about those that butcher the English language are falling on deaf ears.

Now excuse me while I go pahk my cah in Hahvid Yahd :lol:

XP715    6

Y'all might think its funny, but its not pop or soda here, its all coke....no matter if its pepsi, mountain dew, sprite, its all coke to us.

And here in ASSachusetts, we call it tonic; just another reason why us Massholes are wicked retahded.

XP I have a couple of friends from Mass, and they aren't THAT bad....I can understand them and I'm southern, although I DO know of some southerners that speak and as redneck and country as I am and can be, I still have to look at them and say "huh?!"

Nick    31

When people call something "bomb"...Like, that's "bomb" yo, or That's so "bomb"....My sister says it on occasion and I just want to smack her when she does...

XP715    6

76, I know your friends aren't THAT bad, and neither am I to tell you the truth. But anybody that lives here ALWAYS knows somebody that is.

"Aw yah, so durin'at last Nawreastah me and Sully was doin' donuts in my Wagoneeah in the pahkin lot at Kappy's Likkiz in Medfid; it was wicked pissah."

This is from the state that has some of the best schools in the entire world. :blink:

Edited by XP715

mute    0

i hear it all

pop i grew up with soda ive been hearing, i say coke

people who say crowns instead of crayons, warter instead of water i hate maryland things blach

PONTIAC06    22

I hate 'gangsta' slang in general...i know i'm a hypocrite...but i usually only use it when i'm tryin to be annoying or funny. a couple of my friends take it upon them self to talk 'gangsta' since we lack an real 'gangstas' in my school. It just really bugs me because they are both WHITE MORMONS...I WANNA DROP KICK THEIR HEADS EVERYTIME THEY SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT. and they are really racist...which bugs cuz i'm hispanic...but thats another story....

No offense to anyone of the above mentioned races or religions...just tryin to say why it annoys me...

people that say clicker instead of remote...that really bugs me too...

and people that say wuff instead of wolf...GAHH...i guess i'm just real easy to annoy...

Edited by PONTIAC06

mustang84    12

People who say "soda" instead of "pop". :P I can't stand it... It sounds so weird to me.

I agree...get it right, people. :P

I can't stand the line "I'm not gonna lie"...it's starting to die off, but too many people still say it.

Also, "rocks my socks", "rocks my face off", and any other combination with rocks my something just needs to die a slow death. Facebook groups seem to be the worst offenders.

Also, this isn't exactly spoken slang, but I can't stand it when people on Facebook and MySpace try to "design" their page by typing.everything.like.this. it.makes.it.so.hard.to.read.laments.about.your.melancholy.life.and.browse.your.l

ist.of.five.million.bands.that.no.one.has.ever.heard.of.with.obscure.names.like.T

ears.Of.A.Yellow.Hammer.

Also, you get the people that cant seem to use punctuation and r 2 lazee to take th tyme 2 spel corektly bcuz u look kooler when u forget about grammr, spellin and all that bs

Variance    0

Also, you get the people that cant seem to use punctuation and r 2 lazee to take th tyme 2 spel corektly bcuz u look kooler when u forget about grammr, spellin and all that bs

They're probably using "Microsoft Word: Thug Edition" :P :

Posted Image

Americans who haven't learned the word touque. (say the word "too", then the beginning of the word "question").

HAT: Posted Image

TOUQUE: Posted Image

Also - not sure if it really qualifies as slang, but another thing that annoys me is the need some Americans feel to talk about everyones government as "Democrats" or "Republicans". It's not always that simple.

trinacriabob    21

People that use 'Ax' instead of Ask.  Bugs the living sh*t outta me.

Who do you hang out with? That falls under Ebonics. And you don't want to get me going down that path because I love that stuff.

z28luvr01    170

How about people who are too lazy to say the whole freaking word? Examples:

Mickey-D's

KFC

J-Lo

A-Rod

Paolino    99

People that use 'Ax' instead of Ask.  Bugs the living sh*t outta me.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I've grown more tolerant of ebonics in the district I currently teach in, but my God, things like totally leaving verbs out of questions or phrases, KILLS ME!

"Where he?"

Or adding "yo" at the end of everything. This 17-year old girl in resource room yesterday was going to have me crying it was driving me nuts. "We gotta go chill at the club, yo."

Oh, and, "Thass whack."

Oh, and this one guy I dated ONCE and he did this, I swear, could have stabbed him with a dinner fork it drove me nuts: "I'm a computer programmer over heah... so you tell me you're a teacher over theah. You're so funny Pawlie, you killin' me over heah."

I mean, we're physically 3 freaking feet apart from each other and he's gotta keep talking about our distance over here and there. UGH!

Oh, and calling it "gravy" instead of "sauce".

Edited by Paolino

CSpec    515

Saying something rocks is only acceptable if you say it "r0xxorz my s0xxorz". Where the hell did 1337 come from anyway?

Drew Dowdell    4,966

How about people who are too lazy to say the whole freaking word? Examples:

KFC

To be fair, KFC advertises themselves as KFC. Apparently there is a bad stigma with the word "Fried".... can't think what that might be though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.