Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

40 posts in this topic

Interactive Review:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

post-51-12681568176216.png

For our first entry from the Ford media fleet, Ford decided to put one of it's best feet forward. They sent Motor Trend's car of the year in Light Ice Blue Metallic. So gear up your questions for our Interactive Review.

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Photo Gallery

mpg! LOL. i would be interested in your impressions on the interior. its improved, but i still don't think its anything but midpack....except i think the seats are really good. also, your impressions of interior space and trunk space. also, because its a hybrid, i assume the handling is dumbed down for the green set. or not?

Well the seats, as soon as sat in them, stood out as really good. They're very supportive and with great side bolstering. I haven't had a chance to really crawl around the interior, but it seems fairly standard initially. I plan to do a "luggage test" on this one.

It's going to take some time to get used to the drive. It feels strange not having the gas motor kick in till you're over 47mph.... but you can putter around for a while in EV mode. The mpg indicator was 35mpg after my standard initial test loop. I drive all vehicles on the same loop as soon as I get them. It has two full acceleration runs, a highway run, and 50% city travel.

I want to see a video demo of the LCD readout on the gauge cluster in action!

One of the extra nice touches is the "Trip Summary" you get each time you shut the car down.

Today's commute into work. 9.3 miles, 40.8mpg, 0.2 gallons of gas used.

Ford has to be making coin on this car. MSRP close to 32? A base Fusion S can be had with all available incentives (including lease renewal rebate) for around 15,000. So its not costing Ford less than 15 to make the car, and then add on for the hybrid and other tech equipment. The profits from the hybrid are probably carrying the profits for the entire Fusion line. Or conversely, at least they are making enough profit from the Escape and Fusion hybrids to make the hybrid program profitable.

Hybrid interest has waned so much in the last year or two now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Escape and Fusion are the only two cars Ford will have in its hybrid stable for a LONG time.

Especially since the non-hybrid Equinox can beat the Escape hybrid. That's just embarassing.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

Especially since the non-hybrid Equinox can beat the Escape hybrid. That's just embarassing.

On the highway. In city, the roles are reversed.

Hybrid interest has waned so much in the last year or two now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Escape and Fusion are the only two cars Ford will have in its hybrid stable for a LONG time.

Gas is predicted to go over $3.50 again this summer. You'll see hybrid interest perk up around then.

most equinox road tests and user reviews i read they say that its damn tough to get that epa figure of 32 on the equinox.

1 question: how clean is the shave when you rub your face on that Gillette Mach 3 grille? :P

Seriously: fuel economy? fit and finish? since I don't know anything about Ford's hybrid system, are there any differences in driving experience from a regular car, or is it all pretty much the same? can youdrive in all electric mode? for how long?

1 question: how clean is the shave when you rub your face on that Gillette Mach 3 grille? :P

Seriously: fuel economy? fit and finish? since I don't know anything about Ford's hybrid system, are there any differences in driving experience from a regular car, or is it all pretty much the same? can youdrive in all electric mode? for how long?

I plan to update the fuel economy using the car's trip summary as much as possible.

You can drive in all electric mode up to around 45mph, but even the slightest of upward slopes will kick the gasoline engine on. I really feel like Ford could have tuned the hybrid less conservatively and allowed it to run in EV mode longer. However, it is made up for by the fact that even the slightest downhill slope will start recharging the batteries again.

That said: There is a stretch of fairly level 2 lane highway that I ran on last night at 45mph. I was in pure EV mode most of the time, with exceptions being when going up slope or accelerating from a stop light. I was getting a ridiculous 60mpg according to the instant readout.

The steering does have that weird feeling most people complain about with electric power steering, but since you're not going to be street racing the car it probably won't matter to most people.

Fit and Finish seems fine from an initial view, but I still want to crawl around the car for a closer inspection this weekend.

does the A/C, heat, or defroster negative affect the fuel economy and running behavior? have you used the sync?

Running the accessories doesn't effect the behavior of the car. I haven't run the battery down low.. .it's consistently above 50%. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

have you driven the standard version of the car?

I have not.

Two suggestions I would make to Ford:

1. Make a boot up sound. Since I still have to crank the key to "start" the car, give me some more feedback than the small green light on the lower right dash. Extra points if you make the bootup sound programable so I can copy any .WAV file I want and assign that to the boot up sound.

2. Maybe I haven't found it yet, but a button to put all the LCDs into nightime minimalist mode without scrolling through menus would be nice.

Oh yea, trip home:

9.3 miles, 38.3 mpg, .3 gallons used

mostly uphill, stop and go traffic with the heated seats on.

Extra points if you make the bootup sound programable so I can copy any .WAV file I want and assign that to the boot up sound.

That would be a really cool feature! I'd bet Ford could even charge extra for that 'option' and get away with it.

Should just be part of SYNC

With SYNC, have the default bootup sound be the sound MS Windows makes when it boots.

Should just be part of SYNC

Well sure, but how hard would it be to disable that function unless someone pays? Game publishers do it all the time these days, and so do other software developers. 'Personalization' is all the rage today, and companies are cashing in on what are generally frivolous things. :P

Ford has to be making coin on this car. MSRP close to 32? A base Fusion S can be had with all available incentives (including lease renewal rebate) for around 15,000. So its not costing Ford less than 15 to make the car, and then add on for the hybrid and other tech equipment. The profits from the hybrid are probably carrying the profits for the entire Fusion line. Or conversely, at least they are making enough profit from the Escape and Fusion hybrids to make the hybrid program profitable.

The Focus is next. MY 2012, Ford says. There will be both an all-EV model and a hybrid. If the FusionHy is slightly more expensive and efficient than a CamryHy, I'm guessing 60 MPG and $23K for the FocusHy.

That would be a really cool feature! I'd bet Ford could even charge extra for that 'option' and get away with it.

Personalized would be cool but default should be (although this may not be feasible)

Standard Fusion: two peices of metal coming to gether a bright light like a welder(a welding sound), pan out, you just welded Fus(red) ion(Blue) together.

Hybrid: Same but with a leaf above. (or the word fusion turns green)

How cool would that be?

Well sure, but how hard would it be to disable that function unless someone pays? Game publishers do it all the time these days, and so do other software developers. 'Personalization' is all the rage today, and companies are cashing in on what are generally frivolous things. :P

Well regardless if they charge for personalization ability or not, they should at least have a default bootup sound so that there is audible feedback that the car is ready to go.

Well regardless if they charge for personalization ability or not, they should at least have a default bootup sound so that there is audible feedback that the car is ready to go.

Does the tach needle move when it's started? Does pressing the accelerator result in any noise (when sitting in park after starting)?

The silent treatment sounds wierd to me..

Does the tach needle move when it's started? Does pressing the accelerator result in any noise (when sitting in park after starting)?

The silent treatment sounds wierd to me..

Tach? There is no tach.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0