Hit by an Avalanche...

...my new white beast of one 8)

If you followed my other long drawn out thread that went anywhere from taking over the lease on a 2nd G8 GT to buying a Solstice as a second car to leasing a new Outback, I was all over the map. But one thing remained solid. I ALWAYS wanted a big, luxurious truck and after years of my mother driving first an '02 Avalanche and then an '04 Suburban, there were none more than full size GM's that I wanted most. The Avalanche package really spoke to me, costing less than a Tahoe but being SO cool and adaptable, built out of a larger Suburban so killer ride quality and space, and a 5 seater. A BIG one.

After shopping various 2wd & 4wd models, first mainly looking at 1LT's so I could get comfy cloth seats again, I spread my search out a bit farther and happened to find what I'd consider the "ultimate" Av for me, a loaded up 2wd 2LT Z71 (debated it, but I have no desire to drag around a transfer case up front 24/7 to use it once or twice) in white and tan. No matter what it is, my eye is always drawn to white & tan combo vehicles, and thankfully the dealer in Atlanta, GA that had it not only was the best I had dealt with via email but had the best price, sent me photos (that sealed the deal, right away) and a trade value on my G8 based on pictures & videos I sent them. Spent a few days figuring it all out, but after just emails and one phone call to the F&I guy, it was driven up to me on a Sunday and the G8 driven back.

Love it. It's a beast. A big, silent, cushy, well handling, quick (not G8 quick, but after 2 weeks of adjusting to me, very peppy) truck that oozes luxury. I enjoy it. Not the canyon carver or 2nd & 3rd chirping monster the G8 was, but I feel more capable and less apprehensive driving this than the G8 and am actually enjoying it more, somehow. Really. Fought it for years, but guess I just really was a truck guy...much to the dismay & shock of many who know me and still can't believe when I pull up in this "fancy" (boss called it that) thing 8)

'09 Avalanche 2LT 2wd

Summit White

Cocoa/Cashmere Leather

3.08 Rear Axle (standard)

Z71 Package (Specific exterior & interior trim, skid plates, 18" wheels, off-road suspension, rear locker)

Rear Camera

Luxury Package (Heated, full way power memory seats, power folding mirrors with signals)

Sunroof

Roof Rack

Image00009.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00035.jpg

Image00034.jpg

Image00023.jpg

Image00024.jpg

Image00026.jpg

Image00022.jpg

Image00020.jpg

Image00076.jpg

Edited by caddycruiser

Mr. Av was due for his full clear bra install all over the front, the mirrors, and down the side rockers (every piece they possibly make a pattern for) but I don't feel like spending all tomorrow in Jersey, more rain, etc. Pushed it back a week, I think. Have a 1st tiny chip to fix before too. Soon. Wrapping it soon.

Since it was driven from Atlanta to me, already has 1200 miles on it in 2 weeks. Oh well. First vehicle I purchased an extended GMPP warranty for, so we'll see how much of it I use...I hope a lot. Still a big adjustment after nothing but cars, but I think I'm good now. Well, until I was on a back road and thought I could take the same dropping sharp curve with a bump mid-way at full speed...heh...actually could, but just scared me for a second.

Beastly. After the Corsa, cold air intake'd, etc. G8, I'm actually enjoying the silence too. Never hear it, or only do so slightly. Purrrr.

Edited by caddycruiser

5.3?

Yep. 5.3L with AFM & the 6L80E 6-speed auto. 2wd & 3.08 rear locker. Pretty much the "efficient" combination of all the options.

You should add it to the garage!

Oh yeah, that thing after 73 cars I've still never done...hmm...

Edited by caddycruiser

The other interesting part about this truck. It's a 2009, but literally one of the very last handful to come off the lines after the truck production started back up, this one built 10/7/09. This was cool to me because a 2010 I drove at a local dealer was also built in 10/09 and even though a leftover, it was new enough to get the GM emblem deletion--took me a day or two to notice that on the doors.

So it's old, but new. Works for me.

Great truck. I have the same problem. Now that I have my GMT, I couldn't imagine driving anything else after years of focusing on "cars".

Yep. 2 weeks in and I already don't know how I can go back to a car again. Had to move my mother's Camaro the other day and felt like it was eating me, yikes. Then again, she said the same thing after an Avalanche & Suburban, only to buy a Malibu and then Camaro.

I miss having a car to romp around a little more in but this thing even corners well. Feel like I'm in a leather lined lounge and can see everyone and everything. It's great. It's only up further from here. Next (2 weeks and I'm saying next...) will be a Denali or Escalade something or other, years from now. Perhaps. Still adjusting to how much size & space I have as it is now, and that whole bed I've yet to even touch. There are so many continually hot new GM cars, however, you never know. Give me a few years.

Weathertech floor liners should finally be in tomorrow, then clear bra wrapping everywhere on the weekend. Already at about 1200 miles and no issues, but for a weird quivering vibration that's bugging me. Had the wheels/tires road force balanced at the dealer and then checked again at a Bridgestone dealer who said they were GREAT, but the quiver persists. Annoying, but hopefully it can be sorted out soon, whatever it might be.

Love the Av! The color combo has to be one of my favorites. The Z71 dash and silver instead of wood trim really set "her" off. Now get that Corsa and an Air Raid intake on her and post a vid of her for me! :smilewide:

Heehee...after the Corsa'd (and, well, SO much else...) G8, I'm trying to avoid mods at all cost.

But it's SO quiet now, Corsa has called my name a few times. Resisting well. Somehow, I just like the quiet for now. Same for the intake. We'll see, in time.

Other than the outside, the best part of the Z71 is the fully tarted up interior with heated, memory leather, Bose, and every other gadget BUT no faux wood trim. I don't like it and the 2-tone cashmere with the brushed metal look is my favorite--glad for '09 you could get the non Ebony based interiors like in the other models, too. The beige is seemingly rare with Z71's.

Finally just got the Weathertech molded floor liners tonight & installed a bit ago. Awesome pieces, as always. Clear bra next.

I feel so at home with such a big truck. So darn comfy. Latest average fuel mileage as of tonight is showing 17.1mpg after a weekend jaunt and 2 days of red light commuting. Nice.

Thanks for the comments guys 8)

Edited by caddycruiser

It's funny that you all like the metal trim vs. the faux wood trim - that was how GM distinguished the GMC Sierra from the Chevy Silverado, and then used the GMC trim on the Chevy Z71 models!!

Exactly. And you know another thing right away suggested to me? Get the brushed metal center console cupholder part with a lid (like the Denali), from the Sierra All Terrain. A guy on GM-Trucks.com recommended it since it's the same trim. I like "mixture" vehicles.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Leaving the stock open hole there for now, as I like having a big open spot to toss stuff. But we'll see.

Edited by caddycruiser

So Z71 doesn't mean 4WD anymore? It is just a suspension and appearance package?

Z71 hasn't meant 4wd "only" since around late 2004. Everything is exactly the same, from suspension to skid plates to wheels, but no front transfer case to drag around. Think pre-runner type. Z71 always, technically, stood for special bits and suspension in ADDITION to being a 4wd truck, so really no difference.

After trying a Z66 package on the last gen Avalanche with the look pieces, 2wd Z71 Colorados & Canyons then Tahoes, Suburbans and Silverados that otherwise had all the Z71 pieces became full models. I know it's sacrilege to some people, but remains a perfect idea for a lot of us.

Edited by caddycruiser

I know, I know...join the club... :palm:

Works for me, so that's all that matters :AH-HA: Even looking up old Z71 discussion, the "package" always was just suspension & other off road upgrades on top of 4wd, so the driveline is your additional choice beyond those bits. I like the lighter, less maintenance, better fuel economy one.

Edited by caddycruiser

I love the Z71 package on the Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche! Also you selected my favorite color for them as well summit white. Also the silver interior trim is great even with the cashmere, much better than the fake wood in the LTZ's and what not. Anyways love the truck, I would love a Tahoe exactly the same.

Spent all day in Jersey today with my clear bra guy, having every conceivable piece they make a pattern for wrapped. Took FOREVER. Same 3M as I had on my G8, also done by him, but white is the most difficult because it shows every little fiber of everything if trapped under the film.

But woo, GOOD stuff...all over...shouldn't get a chip anywhere for a very, very long time. Was a lifesaver on the G8 since day one, looking to be the same for the Av and it's huge tires.

Did the hood, the fenders, the flares, the grill surround, the 3-piece front bumper, the mirrors, and the bottom 1ft of the body/rockers front to rear. Everything, again, they make a pattern for.

Image00003.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00017.jpg

Image00018.jpg

Image00021.jpg

Image00019.jpg

It even made a new Porsche GT3 friend for the day...heh 8)

Edited by caddycruiser

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats! The Avalanche trully is a truck that OWNS it's segment, mostly because NOTHING like it exists.

(aside from the uplevel Escalade EXT)

+1

With the number on it, (GT3) I wonder if it has been in an autocross or track event recently...

Both. The decal shop where we did the clear bra at is actually right next to a track of some sort where there are frequently Porsche events. The guy had just had the GT3 there, or his son did, and the son was the one that drove it over to the shop. My clear bra guy had already wrapped the full car, essentially, but does the headlights for track cars and it was brought back for that. Sat there all day so I got peak around it...yet not being schooled in the Porsche world...had no IDEA what it actually was...whoops...

Cool car. The center caps fascinated me. Sounded great. Funny, that evening, came to find out the actual owner was out of town, it was his son/wife driving it to get things done, and the son was interested in 'ye 'ole Avalanche while there. Oh, the life to let give your $100k+ top end Porsche to your teenage son to get things done on it. Then again, I'm 23 and driving a $45k truck...so...things are all relative :rolleyes:

Av is doing well...I still don't have my plates on because the title is MIA somewhere...and it has a bad vibration sometimes that has yet to be solved, but I love driving it. Still so glad I got 1) white with beige and 2) the Z71 bits. So bright & happy, and looks so much meatier when next to a typical LT/LTZ Avalanche, Tahoe, etc. out in the wild.

Still doing quite well with my "I'm not going to mod...I'm not going to mod..." when it comes to the Avalanche, which was a big point all along.

2 months in, the only recent items have been a custom mild ECM/TCM tune by Vector Motorsports in Michigan who tuned my G8 (to sharpen it up a hair & help durability over stock--can flip back in a minute via laptop), and just yesterday tires.

Only 2900 miles and the luggy Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S treads were quality treads, common to GM trucks with an off road package and 18" wheels, but I had some issues. Started with vibration that turned out not to be all the tires, as verified by a Bridgestone dealer, but then a questionable road force balance job by my local dealer who has trouble even inflating tires or putting a correct oil level in. They rode well, were oddly quiet for such meaty treads, and were smooth, but just not crisp enough for me on top of the off road suspension and I thought still contributing to my wobble/vibration.

Que a Craigslist ad for the Bridgestones that I sold quickly, a Tire Rack order for new Michelin LTX M/S2's and drop ship delivery at a little shop I'd never been to before, about 25 miles away with glowing ratings on Tire Rack. They were great. Told me about the wrong wheel weights the dealer used & the scratches left from them on my wheels, mounted & road forced the Michelins and perfectly placed the Bridgestones in the bed, in less than an hour. "Have a blessed day & come back again. We do everything a dealer does, will stamp your warranty books, etc...." Nice find. I may go back, for sure.

Truck is sharper, steering feels better, it's so quiet it's creepy (the guy who mounted the tires tested it & said the same before giving me keys), and best yet, gas mileage is already up, and they don't throw every piece of dirt, gravel, etc. all over the place like rockets. Just seems to roll easier and my Instant MPG screen was logging higher #'s the whole way home yesterday. Michelin claims as much, along with shorter braking and such, and it seems more than true. Smooth. Crisper. Solid.

Not the same lugged look as the A/T Bridgestones, but not smaller either and just smoother. Look nice, for a road touring truck, as I use it.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How are the tires, now that you've had them a little while longer? The Envoy will need new tires before winter. Even though the truck had only 35k on it when I bought it, I don't think the previous owner believed in tire rotations as these tires are well on the wearing out stage (my '05 Envoy, same Michelin tires, had decent tread left when I turned it in with 44k on the odo). I was thinking about Goodyear Fortera TripleTred white-outlined tires, but they are expensive. If I went with the factory-installed Michelins, I know I'd only get about 40k out of them and while they're a good tire, I don't think they're the greatest. Your input is requested :AH-HA:

The Michelins are terrific. Look great, ride great, silent as could be, and the reputation--especially of the LTX series--speaks for itself. Honestly, they're "stiffer" touring treads than the stock A/T Bridgestones the truck came with and can be a little sharper over some bumps, but they've also eliminated some extra wiggle the truck had with those big lugged treads. Handles & rides better overall.

Didn't, however, despite a 3rd balance check (and this time 100% correctly at an independent shop, not the local dealer who made a mess last time), solve the truck's vibration issue. But at least verified it isn't the tires afterall. Made it quieter, smoother in a crisper way, and it gets slightly better gas mileage, so I'm pleased. Also happy knowing they'll last a long time.

I considered a few of the latest GY truck tires too, but wasn't sure given some reviews complaining about a heavy feel, gas mileage drop and/or traction issues. Probably 2nd in line to the Michelins when I was checking, but it depends specifically what you're looking for or past tire experience you've had. Last Michelin's I had were on my Fleetwood, glad I tried them again. Seem to be the most "have it all" of any I exhaustively checked into.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 2 months later...

So, how are the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires performing for you now that you've racked up some miles on them? I know I'm a bug about them, asking for your input back in May. Looking at the Envoy's tires the other day, I'm thinking a new set will be definitely needed before years end. I've always liked Goodyear tires, but I'd give Michelin a shot (especially since a neighbor-friend swears by Michelins on his cars) since GY's can be expensive.

So, how are the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires performing for you now that you've racked up some miles on them? I know I'm a bug about them, asking for your input back in May. Looking at the Envoy's tires the other day, I'm thinking a new set will be definitely needed before years end. I've always liked Goodyear tires, but I'd give Michelin a shot (especially since a neighbor-friend swears by Michelins on his cars) since GY's can be expensive.

Love 'em. Smooth, solid, silent, crisp handling, and look/feel like they'll wear like iron, as I expected from reviews, for many miles and years to come. Out of the options I had in stock size, nothing really could beat them. I like most that they're not as soft as a lot of others, which has helped with both control and fuel economy. Actually, on that note, aside from the engine breaking in, I swear these tires have helped add a nice dose of extra mpg's to the mix as well, as verified from my first day riding on them.

Recommend. Super highly. I never bought into the "Michelin is the holy grail" before, but when it comes to their truck tire like this, they are.

Thanks for the uodate and info on the tires. I will definitely check out these Michelins in the fall for my Envoy.

Absolutely. Can't hurt to check them out.

TireRack.com & DiscountTireDirect.com reviews of any models you're looking at also are the best.

As for another Avalanche update...still doing well, nothing new, really. On that regard, although it took a several thousand $$ jump in vehicle price & size to do it, mods have been ZERO aside from the 3M clear wrap & Michelins. I did have custom engine/trans tuning by the company that did my G8, but after some use decided to swap back to all stock because I just really liked how it felt & the mileage it got. May still play with it, trans particularly, but we'll see.

Up to 7400 miles now, quickly racking up with my commute...bothers me, especially on this truck, but for now, it is what it is. At one time or another, I keep wanting an intake, a Corsa exhaust, a built in Nav or at least proper iPod integration, but I enjoy it exactly as is and have no "must have" to change it. Not having time to be on a forum specific to it daily helps too, for preventing ideas.

Great truck. Got over the hump of parental "why..." after 1) my father looked it over silently, 2) mom drove it, and 3) "we need to haul tables home...can I borrow..." only to not see just that, but that they went ahead and had the Midgate flipped, seats down, etc. no questions asked.

Aside from the luxury liner comfort, and high up which I enjoy most, it's the combination of 5.3L AFM, 6L80E and the standard 3.08 rear gears that make for just WOW gas mileage. My previous 13 mile each way commute of 2 lane roads and frequent lights/stops/turns, mixed in with a weekend run would result in around 17-17.5mpg pretty much from day one. Now that I drive 45+ miles each way 5 days a week, again mostly 2 lane roads and cruising 55-65, with a few lights, I'm now averaging over 20mpg and last week's tank hit 20.768mpg. I track it here:

http://www.mpgtune.com/fillupHistory.php?carId=4700

So, couldn't have made a better choice sticking to my favorite 2wd setup (still no desire to drag around a transfer case on a truck like this with G80 locker & Stabilitrak as it is), and the "gas mileage" 3.08 rear gears with the 6-spd that make it incredibly peppy but also a super low RPM cruiser. Drops gears & passes like a beast. Love the combo. I may have red light raced an '04/05 custom F-250 4x4 diesel last night too, running neck & neck up to about 70 until he gave up...felt good, however unexpected.

Love how this truck drives and the interior, plus all that functionality out back I might not use much but is great to have. Only complaints might be a few door panel & dash "click" rattles I wish didn't exist, otherwise impressed by the fit & finish, paint, etc. If only it had that freakishly "how did they do it..." silent tank solid feel of a new F-150, for instance, but alas.

Great truck. Now, stay outta my way :suburban:

Edited by caddycruiser

I like the Avalanche in gray or blue. Could you take some pictures of the bed system and its utilities?

How long does it take for you to drive?

Did they discontinue the 6.0L for the Avalanche? I do not see it in any configuration anymore.

I like the Avalanche in gray or blue. Could you take some pictures of the bed system and its utilities?

How long does it take for you to drive?

Did they discontinue the 6.0L for the Avalanche? I do not see it in any configuration anymore.

Will do. I have a few shots, need to find it. I drive 45'ish miles each way, 5 days a week, so do about 90-95 total a day, and an hour time-wise in each direction.

It's still a standout for looks, in so many colors. I remain a fan of the cladded original, but as I said, my father's 1st day remark was "it's SO much better looking than the one your mom had..." regarding her '02.

No more 6.0L. They had it an option through 2009, in 2LT, 3LT or LTZ models. I think there are still a few leftover new '09s with the 6.0L floating out there, or at least there were a few months back.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...

Wow, that is beautiful. A late congrats to you. If it is anything like my Tahoe, you will never stop enjoying it and have a VERY hard time going back to a traditional car (except for weekend play and commuter style).

I enjoy it...but am putting WAY too many miles on it. 95 miles a day since mid July is adding up and giving it a beating.

I've been considering a car again, just because I do miss the car "connected" feeling more and more. But I am crazy, so you never know.

Now at 7 months and 10800 miles, no problems. Although fit & finish is visually great, and I love the look, I've been less than enthused with actual build quality. Door panels rattle & make a lot of noise on bad roads, dash buzzes at the same times, and early on (though it seems to have quit) the Midgate area used to creak. All in all, plastic noises, but our '02 1st gen Av "felt" more solid with a complete lack of noises. The '09 looks better, rides/handles/steers better, but feels less solid and the interior noises annoy me. Not as solid "feeling" as either my G8 or even my Malibu when it comes down to the interior...tempted to pull apart and dynomat/felt/pad/otherwise various sections, but annoyed again I even have to think about that.

Great truck, looker all around, great gas mileage and general performance, comfortable as could be...I just wish it felt and sounded as solid as it looks, or like our '02 did.