What car was hot

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lots of great cars in my birth year....kind of the high point of the muscle car era.. too many to choose from---Buick GSX, Olds W30 442, Chevelle SS 454, Pontiac GTO Judge, Hemi Cuda, Hemi Challenger R/T, Mustang Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 429, Cougar Eliminator, Torino GT, Torino Cobra, Mercury Cyclone, etc.....plus the 1st of the 2nd gen Camaro and Firebird.

Here's one in particular I like from '70.

mump_0611_01z+1970_ford_mustang_mach_1+drivers_side_view.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yah, given his knowledge and areas of interest I had pegged him more around 55-65.

If everyone only took an interest in things from their lifetime, there'd be no History channel, no historians, no history classes, no museums and no recognition of past events, to name but a very few casualties to such a limited outlook. Everyone involved in those instances is likely to be studying things older than them, too- sometimes by thousands of years. Quite commonplace.

Besides, 'growing up' in the barren automotive wasteland that was the '80s, as a gearhead one was pretty much forced to appreciate vintage iron. WTH is one supposed to do with a -say- '85 Celebrity ??

Hope I don't look 55-65 yet :

balth1.jpg

Besides, 'growing up' in the barren automotive wasteland that was the '80s, as a gearhead one was pretty much forced to appreciate vintage iron. WTH is one supposed to do with a -say- '85 Celebrity ??

I get this completely, my contemporary gearhead friends all Hated new cars back then. It was all about finding the cleanest musclecar you could afford.

Edited by Camino LS6

I was trying to make the best out of a bad situation with regards to new cars. 305/4 speed Malibu or El Camino, Century Turbo Coupe, Monte Carlo SS, Olds 4-4-2, L69 Camaro and Firebird, Fiero Formula V6, Mustang and Capri 5.0, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Mirada CMX, Dodge L'il Red Express, the Shelby Dodges... all were mere shadows, but they were the best of the day for affordable sportiness.

Edited by ocnblu

If everyone only took an interest in things from their lifetime, there'd be no History channel, no historians, no history classes, no museums and no recognition of past events, to name but a very few casualties to such a limited outlook. Everyone involved in those instances is likely to be studying things older than them, too- sometimes by thousands of years. Quite commonplace.

True, not much interesting about a Celebrity. But there were plenty of contemporary cars I remember liking in the '80s from the Camaro and Firebird, to the Monte Carlo SS, Buick GN, etc to various Fords (Mustangs, Tbirds, etc). Chrysler was a wasteland of FWD junk, and GM went down that same path, at a slower pace. Problem w/ most of the vintage iron I saw growing up is that it was rusty and worn out (both in Ohio and Florida). And experiences within my own family w/ old cars--my brother was always buying and selling old rusty cars that were breaking down...I had no interest in that side of the car hobby.

Though I certainly studied history (US history, world history, art history,music history, etc) in school and enjoy museums and old car magazines, from having immersed myself in technology and computers in college, grad school and my profession, I've always found it more interesting to look forward than to look back. I'm not like I'm interested in the computers, cell phones, tvs, and other gadgets etc of 10 years ago, more interested in that of now and tommorrow.

Yeah, we considered the '82 Camaro a godsend at the time.

Things certainly were bleak back then.

But used musclecars were cheap!

I was thinking more of the '87 IROC Z...a sweet car. Yes, used musclecars were cheap, at least the way I remember a lot of them in Ohio and Florida is that they were rusted out and generally beat to death. Though I'm sure there were plenty of clean ones to be found in CA and AZ.

I was thinking more of the '87 IROC Z...a sweet car. Yes, used musclecars were cheap, at least the way I remember a lot of them in Ohio and Florida is that they were rusted out and generally beat to death. Though I'm sure there were plenty of clean ones to be found in CA and AZ.

I'm talking more about the '77-84 timeframe, there were still decent musclecars all over PA back then.

Hey Drew, for 1978 there were some cars that were considered hot at the time.

Indy pace car Corvette

Lambo Countach

BMW 635CSI

Porsche 911

And the Camaro got an update that helped a bunch that year

And you could still buy a 4spd. T/A with a 6.6 Pontiac engine.

...or an El Camino SS/Royal Knight with a 350 and a 4spd. :)

Edited by Camino LS6

Cubical-aka-Moltar ~ >>"True, not much interesting about a Celebrity. But there were plenty of contemporary cars I remember liking in the '80s from the Camaro and Firebird, to the Monte Carlo SS, Buick GN, etc to various Fords (Mustangs, Tbirds, etc)."<<

Too slow (Buick aside) & too common. Plus priced like a new car = kids could not afford them.

>>"...my brother was always buying and selling old rusty cars that were breaking down...I had no interest in that side of the car hobby."<<

Because you don't work on cars. Lots of people did and still do... on older cars. In the late teen & early 20-somethings, no one I knew had a new car- they were all older - my first choice daily driver was 27 years old- had 2 great years working on & driving it, and standing out on the road. Still miss it. Great car.

>>"I'm not like I'm interested in the computers, cell phones, tvs, and other gadgets etc of 10 years ago, more interested in that of now and tommorrow."<<

Tomorrow never gets here. :neenerneener:

Sure, but that industry is different- it purposely makes prior product obsolete as quickly as possible. It has taken 'planned obsolescence' to towering new heights. No parts, no program updates, no nostolgia, no value. If the computer industry made cars, you could no longer get the gas, trans fluid or tires for a 1980 Monte Carlo today.

I still use my 1999 MAC G3- haven't installed a program on it since 2000... but those on there still work perfectly & usefully. In that light & to me - it's not in any way 'obsolete'. IMO, "obsolete" is a term made up by marketers, and I reject that breathless attempt to convince me that what I have that works; 'doesn't' anymore.

Too slow (Buick aside) & too common. Plus priced like a new car = kids could not afford them.

True, but some parents could..that's how I got my 5.0 and all my friends in high school got their new cars..:)

Because you don't work on cars.

True, never had an interest in working on cars, much more interested in driving them. I place a lot of importance on reliability--getting me where I need to go w/o breaking down.

I still use my 1999 MAC G3- haven't installed a program on it since 2000... but those on there still work perfectly & usefully. In that light & to me - it's not in any way 'obsolete'. IMO, "obsolete" is a term made up by marketers, and I reject that breathless attempt to convince me that what I have that works; 'doesn't' anymore.

I couldn't imagine trying to use a computer that old. I still have my '00 vintage Dell laptop, but it's pretty much unusable, not enough disk space or RAM to run the software of today. It would be like going back to the era of dialup.

I remember TVs w/ curved screens that weren't HD, but I don't have any interest in having one.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

^^ A likeness to the actor Stormare, or a feeling of the "taciturnly thuggish kidnapper/murderer" he played in Fargo ?? :huh:

Do you have a wood chipper? :)

New Jersey. Out in the woods. I bet there are bodies buried out there.. :)

^^ A likeness to the actor Stormare, or a feeling of the "taciturnly thuggish kidnapper/murderer" he played in Fargo ?? :huh:

You can't have one without the other.

But, hey, I'd rather look like a dude who would feed someone through a wood chipper than a certain actor who twinkles.

I'm very bitter about that ...

I had a wood chipper, I actually returned it, unused, in it's box, after like 3 years (for a full refund). I think that was right around the time I was doing excavation full time. Between loading demo'd houses in 125-yd trailers, and digging basements & septic systems, we dug a LOT of holes in NJ & PA.

Did you know a Hitachi EX110 has a near 24-ft depth reach ?? ;)

-- -- -- -- --

Ya know, I'm not so sure I like this.

Do I rally look like a killer of some stripe or other ??

Edited by balthazar

You can't have one without the other.

But, hey, I'd rather look like a dude who would feed someone through a wood chipper than a certain actor who twinkles.

I'm very bitter about that ...

Friends have told me a look like a thinner Tony Soprano or a taller Vic Mackey ('The Shield' bald tough guy cop character). Though I really don't see the resemblance.