Disco/dance music

Do you remember and like/dislike disco?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you remember and like/dislike disco?

• Remember / like
    • Remember / eh
    • Remember / dislike
    • Don't remember it much / probably would like
    • Don't remember it much / probably would be just ok with it
    • Don't remember it much / probably would dislike
    • Other

It will going without saying that Josh and a few others will predictably HATE this stuff.

This era reminds me of everybody having a Cutlass Supreme coupe, bad clothes, Greg Brady hair and a much easier-going and more affordable LA. At work, I will put on the headphones and draft away to Donna Summer's greatest hits and similar stuff - MacArthur Park is her far and away her finest work, IMO. It's great to drive to as well and...no...I've NEVER set foot on a dance floor to this stuff.

I know there's a lot of people who hate it. So be it.

Disco was originally just danceable rock, then it splintered and became "electrobeat" and other offshoots in the early '80's to the myriad of dance music we have today.

Like most music, when it becomes overly commercialized it becomes annoying. The crap that younger people today will remember as disco wasn't the good stuff. The good stuff was already underground by 1977 or so (for a sample of the "good stuff" listen to anything by Giorgio Moroder, especially when he paired with Donna Summer). I still have 12" studio remixes of some great dance music that still plays well today, 25 years later.

I was born after the disco era, so I don't have any memory of it. I know my dad used to be a disco DJ back in the late 70s (in fact, he met my mom because my uncle owned the club he DJ'ed at and she was a waitress there). Even though he was a disco DJ, all the albums he owns are 80s pop and rock, so I've never really been exposed to much disco beyond YMCA, The Hustle, Stayin' Alive, etc...the stuff you hear on TV, movies, and such. From what I have heard though, I haven't really been able to get into any of it.

Awwwwww FREAK OUT!

Le Freak, c'est chic

Freak out!

Have you heard

About the new dance craze?

Listen to us

I'm sure you'll be amazed

Big fun

To be had by everyone

It's fun to do

Surely can be done

Young and old

Are doin' it I'm told

Just one try

And you too will be sold

It's called Le Freak

And they're doin' it night and day....

:dance:

I remember a lot of it from childhood hearing it on the radio in the late '70s...my older siblings weren't into it much, though--they were much more into rock (Pink Floyd, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, etc).

I'm not a disco fan, but I do like dance and trance music...there is a lot of electronica and DJ music I like...(great to listen to when coding in the cube).

Some of it is good and some of it is horrible. I do not actually have any disco albums and I have never downloaded disco-esque songs but if one comes on the radio I will probably listen to it. I am a fan of modern dance music, remixes and what not.

I don't know if this was disco, but I suppose it was danceable. I loved this song because of its raunchiness and the interspersed French:

He met Marmalade down in old New Orleans

struttin' her stuff on the street

She said "Hey, Joe,

you wanna give it a go?"

Keechee keechee ya ya ya ya

Keechee keechee ya ya yee

(something garbled)

be yo' Lady Marmalade.

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?

---------------

To a lot of you who DON'T like it, the instrumental parts are awesome. If you like jazz, it would almost make sense you that you should like disco.

Edited by trinacriabob

Disco is quite pathetic...it became too predictable, too simple, and didn't require much talent once it hit its peak. Kinda like today's hip-hop (although some stuff's good...check out Atmosphere and Brother Ali).

Dance music definitely isn't dead. In the States, it was a legitimate genre from the early '90s (house) and mid-to-late 90s (trance). It's kinda died off as things got too predictable. In the UK, dance is still a popular genre, with many constantly-emerging sub-genres such as Goa Trance. You don't hear hip-hop in the clubs there...most of it is usually house at the lighter clubs and heavier stuff at the big ones. Dance music has kinda faded away here especially since the rave scene died as well as the lack of musical creativity. But, like anything, it'll make a comeback.

For you people who like a little techno every now & then, must-haves in your iPod are Safri Duo's "Bongo Song," Eric Prydz's "Call on Me," and Faithless' "Insomnia." An up-and-comer in the Goa Trance scene is Infected Mushroom...check out "I'm the Supervisor" for a taste of where things are going.

House is very much alive, as a matter of fact. The tracks you mentioned are not techno, but variations of house. (Call on Me is occasionally described as "disco house", although there are many tracks out there that qualify even more so.)

I have a heavy-ass bag and a big crate full of proof that dance music is still thriving. Probably in excess of 160 records, plus a CD book full of tunes and an increasingly busy schedule!

I emplore you all as a good look at what house music is (roughly) today, to check out the following mix compilations:

bad boy bill - behind the decks (excellent mixing work here) - big room/disco/chicago-ish house

ben watt - lazy dog 2 - deep house

deep dish - yoshiesque 2 - progressive house

Going by the track listing, ministry of sound's "clubber's guide 2006" seems to be a pretty decent mix with some of the newer hits on it.

Yup, I'm a fan of disco, listen to it a lot and like it 8)

I was born in '74, so I was kinda young when it came out. But dad listened to a lot of 8-track disco tapes when I was younger, guess it kinda rubbed off. Wifey likes it to, so that helps!

I'm also a BIG fan of Electric Light Orchestra (or ELO)... anyone else???

Posted Image

From "Disco Demolition Night"

July 12th, 1979

at Old Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois

50,000 drunk baseball fans can't be wrong, can they?!

Disco Sucks! was the Mantra of the entire student body at my high school.

I still hate dance music- whenever it was made, Unless it has something else to offer. I really like Funk though and folks often danc(ed) to that. But if you want to see me get violent, force me to go into a dance club it makes me :fiery:

then I'll need to get a dose of :5thgen: so I can feel :booyah: again.

Had to use that 5th gen smiley!

Yup, I'm a fan of disco, listen to it a lot and like it  8)

I was born in '74, so I was kinda young when it came out.  But dad listened to a lot of 8-track disco tapes when I was younger, guess it kinda rubbed off.  Wifey likes it to, so that helps!

I'm also a BIG fan of Electric Light Orchestra (or ELO)... anyone else???

I have a favorable memory of E.L.O. because of one song:

Fire on High- One of my favorite instrumentals ever.

ELO's great outside of Fire on High too. They have a unique sound and a boatload of hits, and Jeff Lynne's work behind the scenes in things like producing are as good if not better than their music. $h!, he even got to be a Traveling Wilbury with Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and George Harrison. Not too shabby if you ask me.

remember it, liked it, little embarassed about the clothing tho...... spandex and leg warmers the human race could live without......

In later years I became an original member of D.R.E.A.D. Those from this area are familiar with the radio station WRIF. Well they had a club "Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco" - I still have the gold card - they had a code of conduct and stuff, but the main reason was to get tons of free stuff at concerts and events in and around Detroit........ At least my kids think it's cool...... LOL

remember it, liked it, little embarassed about the clothing tho...... spandex and leg warmers the human race could live without......

In later years I became an original member of D.R.E.A.D.  Those from this area are familiar with the radio station WRIF.  Well they had a club "Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco" - I still have the gold card - they had a code of conduct and stuff, but the main reason was to get tons of free stuff at concerts and events in and around Detroit........  At least my kids think it's cool......  LOL

My uncle was a member too!

I was born During the whole disco thing-but my parents weren' t really into it...

I listen to all kinds of music..so I do like some songs..

I like the Be Gees for reasons that I do not know... :duh::P

Never really heard the underground stuff though...