How big should the next Corvette be?

34 members have voted

1. 1. How big and how heavy should the next Corvette be?

• Like the current Corvette (C6) & 3200 lbs
    • A little smaller than the current Corvette (C6), but mainly in overhangs & 3000 lbs
    • Like a Pontiac Solstice & 2800 lbs
    • Like a Lotus Elise & 2600 lbs

All else being constant, a vehicle's size translates into weight and unwieldiness. But it's size also translate to interior roominess stowage space. How big, or how small do you wish the next Corvette to be?

Edited by dwightlooi

Perhaps I am answering this poll with a contrarian view, but I think perhaps the car is the right size as it is. I think the unwieldiness is perceptual and can be erased by making it appear smaller with styling tricks and improving the sight lines for the driver.

I think it's sized about right, hell it's not even heavy, it just needs a much better interior and suspension that's more compliant on the road while still being razor sharp on the track. That's what makes a 911 so good. It works both on and off the track.

I do not have a problem in the size but I would love to see them hit the weight at 2900-3000 pounds.

Less weight not only improved MPG and acceleration but it also improves Performance in many areas like stopping and handing that bigger engines can never improve. The leap in performace all around even with the present engine would be very good on the track and back roads. It would only make a great car better.

With their work into the area of Carbon Fiber I expect we could see a 3000 pound car very easy in the future. The price on Carbon will come down with the increased use in many of the new cars. Other materials will also decrease weight too. SMC body panels are not light no matter what people think.

I would like to see them make the car sleeker so even if it does not get smaller it would look smaller. The Vettes shape makes it look bigger than it is. The tail make the car look very larges with such a large flat area.

The key is to make this a car that makes going fast feel slow. and less mass is the best way to make it happen.

Edited by hyperv6

physically the current car is not large or heavy, but it does look it. As blu suggested, perhaps a change in the styling approach would be helpful to make the vehicle look more mean and scrappy.

IMO, I'd like to see them shoot for base weight of 3000-3100 pounds. I would decrease width an inch or two. I would reduce legth a tish. I would actually raise the height perhaps an inch or even two. I would try to lessen the overhangs and visually lighten the look of anything outside the wheelbase and width of the car.

I would try tricks with the proportions like bringing the windshield forward and lessening the length of the hook and rear deck. I would try to monoform the car instead of having the huge hood and bulbous rear.

• Disagree 1

Wow- the car is "OK", but shave a half inch off here and there, reshuffle the proportions toward homogenization, the rear is too flat yet too 'bulbous' at the same time, raise the car, raise the roof, move the greenhouse, shorten the painfully short overhangs.... and THERE'S a Corvette that I can LOVE !! :rolleyes:

Buy/admire another car- don't change one you don't into another car.

As far as the current Corvette goes, I really like the styling and proportions overall...it's probably my favorite stylistically since the '79. It looks so good in that dark red (same/similar color I've seen on the Camaro and CTS).

I like where the car has been heading with the latest iterations (sharper creases and lines, more crisp details), and I'd like to see that trend continue. I guess it could stand to be slightly narrower, and a bit lighter, but the taut design is what I want to see most.

Size, weight, gas mileage are fine, those aren't even areas of concern. Width I think is an issue, because the car not only is wide, but it looks really wide. That could turn away some buyers because really wide, low cars can be more difficult to drive.

Secondly, interior, interior, interior. The interior needs tremendous improvement, the current car's interior belongs in a $15,000 car, not a $50,000 car.

Size, weight, gas mileage are fine, those aren't even areas of concern. Width I think is an issue, because the car not only is wide, but it looks really wide. That could turn away some buyers because really wide, low cars can be more difficult to drive.

Secondly, interior, interior, interior. The interior needs tremendous improvement, the current car's interior belongs in a $15,000 car, not a $50,000 car.

Honestly, I don't think the Corvette needs a luxurious interior -- it is not strictly speaking a luxury car. It needs to look high quality, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Really, it doesn't have to have electronic climate control, it doesn't need dual zone HVAC, it doesn't need napa leather upholstery. Keep it simple, keep it basic, keep it functional. But make sure there are no hard, shinny plastic, make sure that what looks like metal is metal and what looks like leather is leather and what looks like wood is wood and make sure the switch gear clicks with smooth, well dampened and positive detents.

Honestly, I don't think the Corvette needs a luxurious interior -- it is not strictly speaking a luxury car. It needs to look high quality, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Really, it doesn't have to have electronic climate control, it doesn't need dual zone HVAC, it doesn't need napa leather upholstery. Keep it simple, keep it basic, keep it functional. But make sure there are no hard, shinny plastic, make sure that what looks like metal is metal and what looks like leather is leather and what looks like wood is wood and make sure the switch gear clicks with smooth, well dampened and positive detents.

I don't think it has to be luxurious either, but it has to be well built. The current car is cheaply made, the dash is all plastic, the center console is more gray plastic, everything you touch in that interior just feels cheap. Simple and basic was the Solstice, that Corvette has to go above that, and I think it has to be better equipped than a Camaro. I think of a car like the VW Passat, which isn't super luxurious, but it doesn't feel cheap, the car interior feels tightly assembled and well put together. Even the XLR, had some luxurious elements, but the car didn't feel well put together.

Well, here's a question that perhaps should guide the answer to the original question: Who is the customer? Is this car being mainly targeted at performance enthusiasts? Baby boomers wanting a penis extender? Those with both a mullet and a fat wallet? Or do you aim at each of the above with different trim packages?

good question.

aging boomers may not care anymore soon. anyone younger may either be fixated on $h! like the Nissan, or be altogether anti domestic. the really young kids probably would rather go fast and furious in a mini or evo.

it begs the question, does the corvette need to move away from being a brute no holds barred performance car and maybe move back in a direction of something like the boxster or 911, or mercedes roadster? I love the Evora but I do not think the Corvette should be that small or sparse.

^ The 'young kids into nissan' are also not into Porsche- which means porsche needs to change up the 911, too.

I just don't get the mindset that 'the car doesn't appeal to everyone, so it needs to be remade'. It has not become a respected icon by being fickle on it's own mission.

I just don't get the mindset that 'the car doesn't appeal to everyone, so it needs to be remade'. It has not become a respected icon by being fickle on it's own mission.

The mindset (at GM) is most likely "how do we keep up or increase our decent sales levels of the vette, as well as keep our good profit margins?" While the ideal of the car is a performance car, fact is the average age of buyers is pretty high, and a solid percentage of the buyers don't push their cars hard at all, but they instead love to bask in the image of the car. At the same time, they may very well find a car built for all-out performance harsh and unpleasant to cruise around & look good in.

Personally, I think trim level management can take care of making the car appeal to those who already are interested in the car, as well as potentially reach new buyers. Design the platform to be very much performance oriented, but then offer a trim with a more forgiving suspension and more lux goodies. Other trim levels can offer a blend of performance & lux, or go all-out on performance at different levels.

good question.

aging boomers may not care anymore soon. anyone younger may either be fixated on $h! like the Nissan, or be altogether anti domestic. the really young kids probably would rather go fast and furious in a mini or evo.

it begs the question, does the corvette need to move away from being a brute no holds barred performance car and maybe move back in a direction of something like the boxster or 911, or mercedes roadster? I love the Evora but I do not think the Corvette should be that small or sparse.

Personally, I think it'll be the wrong mission for a Vette. A Vette needs to be a top notch performance car to start with, everything else is icing on the cake. As far as the young dreaming of the GTR, well, if the Vette outperforms the GTR (which it currently doesn't) and has a reputation of being well built, in time they'll be dream of a Vette instead. And, guess what, until they can afford one that dream translates into sales of lesser Chevys.

If Chevrolet wants a Boxster, SLK or some other cool looking, well handling and modestly performing vehicle. They can build one off an improved Kappa. Call it a Chevrolet "Speed" or something, and give it scissor doors. The Kappa is decent enough, they just need to get rid of the Inca Temple in the trunk.

I don't think it has to be luxurious either, but it has to be well built. The current car is cheaply made, the dash is all plastic, the center console is more gray plastic, everything you touch in that interior just feels cheap. Simple and basic was the Solstice, that Corvette has to go above that, and I think it has to be better equipped than a Camaro. I think of a car like the VW Passat, which isn't super luxurious, but it doesn't feel cheap, the car interior feels tightly assembled and well put together. Even the XLR, had some luxurious elements, but the car didn't feel well put together.

Look inside a 2010 Corvette. The gray plastic is gone. The center stack has piano black trim, with a bit of chrome and real stitching around the perimeter. The door trims are nicer as well.

Look inside a 2010 Corvette. The gray plastic is gone. The center stack has piano black trim, with a bit of chrome and real stitching around the perimeter. The door trims are nicer as well.

To put it simply, I think they should shoot for an interior done to the Buick Lacrosse's standard, minus the much of the amenities and extraneous switch gear. The same thing goes for the seat... it should be comfortable, supportive and upholstered in superior quality materials (be it leather or fabric), but I am OK if it only has a 2-way manually operated reach and recline adjustments.

Edited by dwightlooi

Buick LaCrosse has cheap plastic and crappy looking wood. Not sure I would use that as any kind of benchmark.

The design is nice, but it still is not done well enough.

I don't think the Vette will have any wood. So it'll probably be all plastic or plastic with a bit of metal trim here and there. As I said, I didn't want it to have a $10,000 interior treatment. Buick's is good enough. The current Vette's is worse than the Koreans.

Wow- the car is "OK", but shave a half inch off here and there, reshuffle the proportions toward homogenization, the rear is too flat yet too 'bulbous' at the same time, raise the car, raise the roof, move the greenhouse, shorten the painfully short overhangs.... and THERE'S a Corvette that I can LOVE !! :rolleyes:

Buy/admire another car- don't change one you don't into another car.

Do that enough and you've turned the Corvette into a Traverse.

The Vette interior needs to meet The low to medium Porcshe standards. They need appealing to look at, Good feel and refrain from using anything but the best GM switch gear.

It is ok to make the Vette with a better than Chevy interior as it not your normal Chevy. Give it an interior fitting of it's price class.

Lets face it I have the same steering wheel in my HHR SS as the ZR-1. COuld they not opt for a Momo or other quality wheel. They are not that expensive and people in cars over $50K expect better. In the big picture the price would increase but buy only a small amount for a car like this.

Lets face it I have the same steering wheel in my HHR SS as the ZR-1. COuld they not opt for a Momo or other quality wheel. They are not that expensive and people in cars over $50K expect better. In the big picture the price would increase but buy only a small amount for a car like this.

Let me ask this... is there something wrong with that wheel? Upgrade the materials, but... it's a steering wheel with some extra controls.... is there really better/worse in terms of functionality?

BMW 3 series and 7 series share the same steering wheels too.

Honestly most of the commentators making outrageous comments about the Corvette have never driven a one, have no clue what the car stands for, who the target market is, and think cars are always better on the other side of Atlantic and Pacific.

Like Balthy said just change inch here, there and then you are driving a Ferrari or a NSX not a Corvette.

• Agree 1

Honestly most of the commentators making outrageous comments about the Corvette have never driven a one, have no clue what the car stands for, who the target market is, and think cars are always better on the other side of Atlantic and Pacific.

Like Balthy said just change inch here, there and then you are driving a Ferrari or a NSX not a Corvette.

There is nothing wrong with having the same wheel. It is just that GM had a horribly low rent wheel -- really. The GM 3-spoke wheel in the Malibu and the Vette has to be the lowest quality looking and feeling wheel in the entire auto industry. The new 4-spoke ones in the Cruze, Travese and what not is much better but I still wouldn't call it premium.

GM needs a better steering wheel. If it is nice enough I don't care if they use it in the Vette, the Aveo and whatever is in between. The steering wheel the the one thing you look at and feel front and center every day. If there is a place that they want to "polish the chrome" this is where to spend the money. $20 will do wonders to the emblem -- it'll buy a really nice Chevy emblem done in 3D, wrought of metal, with two tone anodizing and three different textures -- brushed, satin bead blasted and polished. Another $20 will coat the plastics with the right sheen or a soft rubber material. Another $50 will wrap the wheel in really nice padded leather.

Take off a few pounds and keep it WIDE

Wow Rj twice in one day we agree, this may be the lead in to the the Mayan calendar 2012(just kidding) but your spot on on this loose the weight leave the Fat A$$ look alone!

The steering wheel thing is valid though I've not seen what wheel is in the models spoken of Chevy always had a performance wheel that they shared amongst their performance models The SS lines Corsa/Monza Spyder 'vette it was wood / aluminum riveted very nice Impala got tilt 'vette got telescoping others just the wheel so I agree that the wheel may be shared with better switch gear & performance options to differentiate amongst the lesser brethren maybe the magna ride settings on the wheel?

Well, here is a 2010 Corvette...

2010-chevrolet-corvette-interior.jpg

Lots of gray plastic, and some fake leather with stitching. Just look at how cheap the AC vents look, or how chinzy the window and climate switches are. They have to do better than that. The Gran Sport is around $60k, the Vette isn't a $40k car anymore, at that price they better step it up. Or do the cheap interior, and sell it for $45k, I don't care.

IMO- the 3-spoke Chevy wheel is a very clean, functional design- a lot better than some of the other more awkward designs out there. That wheel (above) in the wife's Malibu is nice- nothin 'low rent' about it there (has the leather wrap & the aluminum sections). I've held FAR worse, cheesier & cheaper.

But I do find it distressing to see the same wheel used across the Chevy portfolio- that says 'cheap' to me in general.

I've been in the 2010 Corvette- it was far better than some make it out to be, but it's not where I would've chose to peg it.

Well, here is a 2010 Corvette...

2010-chevrolet-corvette-interior.jpg

Lots of gray plastic, and some fake leather with stitching. Just look at how cheap the AC vents look, or how chinzy the window and climate switches are. They have to do better than that. The Gran Sport is around $60k, the Vette isn't a $40k car anymore, at that price they better step it up. Or do the cheap interior, and sell it for $45k, I don't care.

It would better without the gray. I despise gray plastic interiors. With some color, or even all black, it would look a lot better...maybe add some real aluminum trim, no disgusting faux (or real) carbon fiber.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Let me ask this... is there something wrong with that wheel? Upgrade the materials, but... it's a steering wheel with some extra controls.... is there really better/worse in terms of functionality?

I have no issue with the wheel as it look good. The main issue is a guy buying a $50K-120K car should get something for his money other than a $17K Malibu wheel. I Should the guys on the HHR web site be able to put a ZR1 emblem in their HHR wheel?

The wheel make a statement in the interiro as the wheels out side the car do for the exterior.

Comparing a 3 series to a 7 series is not the same as comparing a Cobalt to a ZR-1.

If Cadillac can offer a different suede wheel then the Vette could.

Many of us have driven a Vette and in fact have drive all the body stiles. Some also have even autocrossed a Z06 so we do know the the Vette well. It is a good car that we just see in our veiw things we would like to be changed a little. Keep in mind many of us have also been in and driven other cars like Lotus, Porsche, Spyker, GT4, 370z etc.

I would be good with just a interior that looked the price of the car and not a pick up truck. Also I learned along time ago that less weight is better than more HP in many cases. You gain much more in all areas with a little less weight. The car as it is today is very good but imagine if you could stop faster, turn better and acclerate quicker. Drop 200 pounds and you can gain a lot.

The styling is good I love the C6 and the edges. I do think if they could change the rear a little it would give people a better perspective on the true size of the car. It is not the that the Vette is big it just looks big with the large flat rear. The 911 tapers down the back and looks smaller than it really is.

It would better without the gray. I despise gray plastic interiors. With some color, or even all black, it would look a lot better...maybe add some real aluminum trim, no disgusting faux (or real) carbon fiber.

That is the main thing here. The color adds to the cheapness of the wheel.

Oh here is a new one from BMW - Performance Steering Wheel costs about $800 to 1100 more to install, may be Corvette should get one. :rolleyes:

epcp_0908_05_z+bmw_performance_upgrades+bmw_steering_wheel.jpg

Both the design and function of the BMW Performance Steering Wheel captures the feel and spirit of the racetrack.

Based on Formula One instrumentation, the Performance Steering Wheel displays critical data from the powertrain and chassis and positions it where your eyes focus naturally. Intuitive controls and an icon-based interface provide seamless access to a G-meter, a stopwatch with lap timing functions, a quarter-mile timer, an engine temp readout, and adjustable shift lights. Leather and Alcantara® designs add a stylish touch to the vehicle interior and harmonize with other BMW Performance accessories.

By giving you access to such a range of functions without having to take your hands from the wheel, this unique accessory lets you set the pace of every drive.

To quote a few things from the past so that we are not regenerating the wheel.

To all these commentators who have zero knowledge about Corvettes, why f@#k something which is not broken?

My wishlist for better Corvette is:

1. Make it lighter
  2. Add Gen V small block with DI - which it will
  3. Make interior better and more livable
  4. Get it a DSG along with the manual tranny
  5. For all those pussies out there - give AWD an option
  6. Make it cheaper like the previous models - i.e. start in the low 40's

No radical approach is required for something which has been working for 57 years.

Don't mess with success.

>>"* Make the new car more attractive to younger buyers."<<

That's certainly nothing WRT the physicality of the car, just price, IMO

>>"* Make the car lighter and more lithe."<<

>>"* Make the interior quality better."<<

Always good, sensible goals.

>>"* Make the car more appealing on the global stage."<<

Hm-mmm, not sure what this would entail.

>>"* Make the car sell better vs global competition."<<

How about a comprehensive list of the 'vette's international competition ?

>>"Besides a Vette in Europe would need to be smaller and more efficent if to sell in any volume."<<

Again- Corvette is in the low end of other hi-po sports cars in external dimensions.

Corvette ~ 174.6

porsche 911 ~ 175.6

porsche Cayman~ 172.3

ferrai F430~ 177.6

ferrari 599~ 183.7

A-M DB9~ 185.5

A-M vantage~ 172.5

maser GT coupe~ 192.2

nissan gtr~ 183.1

audi r8~ 174.6

So no- it does not "need" to be smaller to compete.... unless everything larger ALSO "needs" to be smaller to compete, too.

>>"I think you will find many of these cars will shrink in size and weight in the next 10 years."<<

Corvette at least has already shrunk & lightened, maintaining it's weight for much longer than the industry norm.

The others for the most part have only gotten larger & heavier. They have a lot more to change.

I just object to calling out the Corvette as if something is wrong with it and everyone else is 'getting it right'.

There's a great challenge lying ahead- where automakers are installing battery packs and computer systems to drive the car by itself, where design has stagnated and technology now sells 'the new'... yet all cars are too heavy and must be lightened.

An enterprising full-line makers needs to get a 'Minimalist Car' on the market to test the water for automotive frugality on all fronts in this vein. I don't think there's much room for 'progress' on this front without decisive content downgrading.

Why is it not when a rental BMW 318i shares the same steering wheel with V12 BMW 760Li?

Because a a 318 T is not a $15,000 unrefind economy car. Even a low end 318 has more status than most cars and they can get away with that.

Life is not fair an neither is the auto market. Some get a free pass.

All GM has to do is source a wheel from a out side vendor like Caddy does not the V series and even if needed offer it as a option. This would give a better wheel and pay for it if the owner wants one. Hell even in the 60's you could opt for a teakwood wheel if you wanted it.

Aren't we really picking nits here?

The Corvette has to be the most well-defined GM product available (with the possible exception of the Silverado).

No major change in recipe will be beneficial.

Well-defined is one thing but to make the car better is always on the table. The lead in the market is always moving so there will always be room for improvment. They are close on being class leading in most areas and with just a little more they will be lead in all areas.

Even if this car was perfect I would expect GM to still be looking for where they can advance the ball in this game.

Almost without exception, each new generation of Corvette has moved the ball forward in significant fashion, I have no worries about the next one doing the same. The recipe is perfect.

They move the ball forward for the Vette. I just want them to make a new car with no excuses for once.

If they can afford Carbon fenders they can afford to make the interor and small details top of the class.

Let them build it completely like they designed it. Chevy has always left something on the table because of accounting.

i think if chevy wants to go after younger buyers they should lower the price of the corvette, but that would step on the camaro's toes so i don't no

but the corvette should be a corvette, not a lotus, or a solstice, it should keep the wide stance,

i think the main things i would change would be:

ZO6: diet, plus more agressive look, i think its just to round

ZR1: more luxury(better interior)

Base: fuel economy and price should become cheaper.

They move the ball forward for the Vette. I just want them to make a new car with no excuses for once.

If they can afford Carbon fenders they can afford to make the interor and small details top of the class.

Let them build it completely like they designed it. Chevy has always left something on the table because of accounting.

price. who's gonna buy it? the market for a car this type and price is extremely limited. the economy will suck for awhile. pricing needs to be sensitive.

Gadgetry and luxury are not defining factors here, this is "America's Sportscar" - that must always remain the focus. Part of the Vette formula is to outperform cars costing 2-3 times as much, it is an essential aspect of the car.

Like I said most of the people still do not get who the real Corvette customers are.

Gadgetry and luxury are not defining factors here, this is "America's Sportscar" - that must always remain the focus. Part of the Vette formula is to outperform cars costing 2-3 times as much, it is an essential aspect of the car.

I am not talking gadgets. I could care less for AWD or GPS. I just want to see them improve what they have.

Removing weight would only enhance what they have in all performance directions.

price. who's gonna buy it? the market for a car this type and price is extremely limited. the economy will suck for awhile. pricing needs to be sensitive.

Most people buying this car are now spending the extra coin to make it over well $50K.

It would not cost that much to fix the detail things that give the critics fodder to pick the Vette apart in their eyes.

Chevy is close and could do what they need for little more. The GS is an example of how many people are willing to pay more to get a better car. I expect it to become more popular. Even Chevy has stated they expect it to become the most popular model.

If cost is that much of an issue to these buyers they should be looking to the Camaro. A look at most good 2 seat sports they are as much or more than the Vette. These are not even the super cars. The Boxster, 370z and others are not cheap anymore.

i think if chevy wants to go after younger buyers they should lower the price of the corvette, but that would step on the camaro's toes so i don't no

but the corvette should be a corvette, not a lotus, or a solstice, it should keep the wide stance,

i think the main things i would change would be:

ZO6: diet, plus more agressive look, i think its just to round

ZR1: more luxury(better interior)

Base: fuel economy and price should become cheaper.

What's probably going to happen is this:-

Standard Corvette gets a new DI Pushrod V8 and 440~460 hp.

Z06 moves to 550~600 hp with a supercharged version of the engine.

ZR-1 goes on a hiatus until GM wants to do something really crazy towards the end of the C7's life cycle.

i beleive the ZO6 should continue with the N/A engine, ijust think it fits in more with the racy idea of it

hmm maybe a ZO'7' package on the Z06 with the Supercharged motor and luxury features?

the ZO6 should get more racy hardware.

then again your probably right GM will likely just replace the Curren ZR1 with the Z06