2013 Malibu - Launch Summary

For those who don't want to or can't sit through an hour of blah-blah here's the summary:-

Amenities

• Backup Camera
  • Touch Screen Stereo / Nav
  • Storage Behind Touch Screen
  • Voice Command
  • Bluetooth

Dimensions (vs current car)

• 4.5" Shorter Wheelbase
  • 3" Wider
  • 0.5" Shorter
  • 0.5" Taller
  • Trunk is 1 cu-ft bigger
  • Cabin is 4 cu-ft larger
  • No Weight Numbers Yet

Power Train

• New Ecotec Engine
  • 2.5 Liter / 4-Cylinders
  • Direct Injection
  • 190 bhp / 180 lb-ft
  • 6-speed Automatic is Standard
  • 35MPG HWY
  • No Mention of Turbo Version Yet
  • No V6 at Launch, GM will not rule out V6 Models for the Future

Never a good sign when you take out more wheelbase than length. Weight will be interesting.

For parity with the Camry and Accord, the Malibu needs to lose 250~300 lbs.

Never a good sign when you take out more wheelbase than length. Weight will be interesting.

Help me out understanding this one:

Camry 4c/6a - 3307

Accord 4c/6a - 3395

Malibu 4c/6a - 3415

0.5" shorter? Does that mean it's around 4900mm long?

EDIT - 4859mm, so not as long as the Insignia wagon; not that different from the Insignia/Regal. Will blend well in Europe, size wise. :yes:

Edited by ZL-1

Camry 4c/6a - 3307

Accord 4c/6a - 3395

Malibu 4c/6a - 3415

And the mags would easily say, "The portliest one of the bunch," and not think twice :AH-HA:

while the engine is surprising in it's not a 200hp one. it should be better, if it can do 35mpg+, super...that's a big part of this market's target.

everything else seems kinda status qua for a new model to "evolve with"

Camry 4c/6a - 3307

Accord 4c/6a - 3395

Malibu 4c/6a - 3415

And the mags would easily say, "The portliest one of the bunch," and not think twice :AH-HA:

Well, it is American...we are a nation of chunky people and chunky cars.. :) I could stand to lose 50-75 pounds myself..

So shorter wheelbase, not much shorter overall...longer overhangs it sounds like.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Camry 4c/6a - 3307

Accord 4c/6a - 3395

Malibu 4c/6a - 3415

He probably might be referencing with respect to Regal, which is on EP II just as the new Malibu and is 250-300 lbs heavier than the cars you mentioned.

I'm not so sure the bread and butter model will get 35mpg?? The wording where I've read it is vague.. Like there is going to be an Eco model that will get 35mpg.

I do not think it is impossible. The current LE5 2.4 equipped Malibu gets 33 mpg highway. With the new DI 2.5 and likely transmission modifications, a 6-10% jump in fuel economy cannot be considered unrealistic.

I'm not so sure the bread and butter model will get 35mpg?? The wording where I've read it is vague.. Like there is going to be an Eco model that will get 35mpg.

I do not think it is impossible. The current LE5 2.4 equipped Malibu gets 33 mpg highway. With the new DI 2.5 and likely transmission modifications, a 6-10% jump in fuel economy cannot be considered unrealistic.

Yep 35mpg hwy should pretty much be the new norm in this class for new designs the next few years and it should be a given with the new engine. Hopefully it doesn't gain all that weight associated with the Regal platform.

Yep 35mpg hwy should pretty much be the new norm in this class for new designs the next few years and it should be a given with the new engine. Hopefully it doesn't gain all that weight associated with the Regal platform.

That is the part I am most worried about. However, since Regal and bankruptcy GM may have had chance to work with stronger metal alloys that can reduce the pork.