The Last American Hero

Disagree, it should stay Ram and not be that new logo, or the one in his sig. It's cool, but IMO Dodge and Ram should never have been split and this is now a symbol of defiance.

Sweet ride, all it could really use is a set of SRT8 wheels to give it the proper stance.

I'm interested in seeing how this holds up.

Once resettled financially, the Challenger is on my short list... I think the Camaro is out because of atrocious ergonomics and because having one will always remind me of the Firebird that could have been... but I have so many reservations over Mopar quality... Whats nice is that one of the motorhead magazines has had a great series recently called "Whats going to break" for the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro.

I might need to rent one of these sooner or later and see if I could live with one.

One of the major car magazines did a long-term test on an R/T and they had like zero problems. This is a good looking car... so clean. Please don't go ghetto with this car with over-decoration. Congratulations to you, once again, Jacket.

Speaking of Challenger rentals, after I signed for my midsize (which turned out to be a Mazda5) at Alamo at the Long Beach airport Saturday, I discovered they had Challengers on the lot for rent, incl. a metallic black one. I should have checked more when I did my reservation..

One of the major car magazines did a long-term test on an R/T and they had like zero problems. This is a good looking car... so clean. Please don't go ghetto with this car with over-decoration. Congratulations to you, once again, Jacket.

Trust me, I'm not one to ghetto out a car's appearance.

I do want to make the hood scoops functional (simple as buying the ducts from an SRT-8 and replacing the dummy SE/RT filler pieces with them; the hood already has the routes for them since all Challengers have the same hood), install the chrome R/T fuel door on it, and maybe get an SRT-8 spoiler (painted to match the car of course).

There might be a rim upgrade in the future, maybe I'll go SRT-8 there, as Dodgefan mentioned, or maybe I'll go with American Racing ... I'll know when I finally do decide to do something.

But, overall, there's nothing crazy going on here. I'm pretty satisfied with the car's stock appearance. (Satty, I thought about a set of stripes, but I'm not sure on that yet ... if I did have a set put on, I know don't want the matte black ones that wind up on a lot of Challengers from the factory.)

Aside from that small handful of mods I'm kicking around, I do want to install a good dual exhaust (wonder if there's something MOPAR for this) and a cold air intake. Those two mods should be good for a few extra horses and a little bit of torque not to mention a better noise. My car will do 0 to 60 in a range of 6.8 to 7.1 seconds and those mods, along with functional scoops, should shave those times down just a little and probably help me stay in the 6 second range consistently, which is 3.6L V6 Camaro territory.

Von, I thought about that for a brief second, but the 2010 Challenger is the last Challenger to wear the Ram's head badge. I like the fact my car has that distinction, so I'll probably leave it alone.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Yeah, that was IL. They missed it when it was gone. The 3.5 is a great motor both in terms of respectable power and reliability. I know a guy with an `01 300M that got more than 400,000 miles out of the original engine.

Speaking of Challenger rentals, after I signed for my midsize (which turned out to be a Mazda5) at Alamo at the Long Beach airport Saturday, I discovered they had Challengers on the lot for rent, incl. a metallic black one. I should have checked more when I did my reservation..

Hmmm... I could imagine a trip to Cali... that would be good Challenger driving territory. Probably all V6s, though.

Yeah, that was IL. They missed it when it was gone. The 3.5 is a great motor both in terms of respectable power and reliability. I know a guy with an `01 300M that got more than 400,000 miles out of the original engine.

IL? I'm not too worried about the engine... all engines nowadays seem to be able to handle 150K with a touch of care. I worry about the other things... tranny and rear setup. I know a lot of these parts are Mercedes-based or are fairly new design, since after the breakup and rejoining with FIAT, many parts sources have changed. And obviously, breakdowns in this area are showstoppers.

I would probably fancy a R/T in a heritage color. Like Plum Crazy. I tried to get a GTO in Cosmos Purple.

A neighbor of mine has what I believe is a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T in metallic blue with the R/T side stripes (matte black). He's had it since October or November '09 and bought it (he was leasing prior; had an awesome 2007 Cadillac CTS Sport sedan that he returned before buying the Challenger). He is still in love with that car to this day (he has a state car for work, drives the Challenger weeknights and weekends). He has reported no issues to me when asked how it's been for him. I think you'll do well with this car.

And I agree with Satty in that a gunmetal-colored stripe/stripes would look nice with the silver over the usual 'black' stripes seen on these cars (along with Camaros and Mustangs).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Great now we need to find a new C&G whipping boy.

Edit: If possible, get a stripe painted on, this car, like all cars really, can look a bit dull in silver. But really, congrats on it.

[/quotAmen, brother....

And congrats on the car, dude!

Thanks guys.

Regarding some comments made on the powertain, I like the 3.5. It's turning out to be a nice engine with silky power delivery. Not only that, but it doesn't sound that bad for a V6. I no longer hate the 5-speed as much as I first did. There's no denying it's slightly pigheaded and a bit lazy on shifting, but when you're just cruising through town, it's nothing horrible. There's also the AutoStick function if you do get a little annoyed with it (although there's still a bit of a delay when it comes to the tranny shifting). It also continues to get better on gas throughout the break-in period.

Camino: I really think an R/T with a six-speed needs to be in your possession. The Challenger is certainly a car worth owning and one you do not see running around everywhere. It's a bold statement in a world polluted with Toyota Camries, Ford Fusions and the ilk. As much as I really hate to admit it, this will probably be the last Challenger we'll see for a while. I can't think of any other direction the styling can go in (I hope there's a fourth-generation Challenger, but I don't think any styling changes could be for the better) and not only that, but this car is proud to be, well, a little old school in it's overall approach, it doesn't just start with the styling. You can disable the ABS, TC, and ESC systems with a flick of the key, and while it will certainly outhandle the original Challenger, setting behind the wheel it's very reminiscent of cars of the Challenger's era. In fact, there's a peculiar undertone to the car that reminds me fondly of setting behind the wheel of the Cutlass but in an updated wrapper. What can I say? It's a new car built for people who, overall, hate new cars.

And silver does look nice on this car (as does black, white, blue, red, and the various heritage colors). Very clean. One color I don't like on the Challenger, though, is that orange color the first batch had. It's just so ... tacky and loud. The Challenger really looks best in any color but that one. The new incarnation, Toxic Orange Pearl, is an improvement but still down way low on the list of colors I'd chose if I were to buy another one (which is possible after I have this one paid off).

Satty: Gunmetal gray (I think Dodge called their version of the color Tungsten for the Challenger) might do the trick if I do put stripes on it.

There's a guy in state that makes pistol grip shifters for these cars ... hmmmm ... wonder if that might would be too over the top?

Wow, b-k! Finally an end to your car search, eh? CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Nice choice.

:)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing lasts forever" __ Guns N Roses __ 'November Rain'

Congratulations, Greg. I'm becoming more impressed with the LX cars the more I actually spend time with them. The silver probably looks great in the sunlight. It's kind of muted by the overcast skies.

If I had to suggest an upgrade, it'd be:

mAR1053.png

Congratulations, Greg. I'm becoming more impressed with the LX cars the more I actually spend time with them. The silver probably looks great in the sunlight. It's kind of muted by the overcast skies.

I like those wheels..nice and retro...maybe in 19 or 20 inch.

mAR1053.png

Those are so played out though. Everyone and their Mustang / 4th gen Camaro has those.