Autoblog: Battle Of The Eco Compact Cars

Comparo: Honda Civic Hybrid takes on Chevrolet Cruze Eco and Volkswagen Jetta TDI

by Steven J. Ewing on Jul 6th 2011 at 11:57AM

Battle Of The Eco Compact Cars

01-eco-comparo.jpg

If you wanted a highly efficient compact car five years ago, you bought a hybrid. Diesel was still a dirty word commonly reserved for heavy-duty pickups and the occasional Euro import, and 30 miles per gallon was just becoming the new industry benchmark. The Chevrolet Volt was still just a concept, all-electrics like the Nissan Leaf were barely a blip on our radar, and if a car was turbocharged, it was for go-fast reasons, not fuel-sipping ones.

Fast forward to 2011. Times have changed.

Now, 40 mpg is the new 30 mpg, and we're quickly approaching the days when 50 mpg won't be such a lofty number. After all, there are quite a few cars that already crest that mark without breaking a sweat (including one or two of the cars in this test...).

Enter the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco, and 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDi – a trio of cars that all boast fuel economy figures of 42 mpg or higher on the highway, and all have price points within the $18,000 to $24,000 range. All three fuel-sippers take a completely different path towards overall efficiency – traditional hybrid, turbocharged gasoline and clean diesel.

We're here to put these three eco compacts through their paces – testing not only economy, but general drivability, quality, comfort and value. The winner won't be based simply on its miserly ways – all three cars are pretty darn close in that regard. Instead, we're looking to see which car represents the best overall package, regardless of powertrain. We're here to find out which eco-warrior is the one we'd open our wallets for.

Click to continue reading article

The Civic couldn't look any worse in that photo if they showed its nose after it rear-ended a semi.

Cruze easily for me - I value the smoothness and quietness that it has which both of the others lack (though the Civic is close in engine smoothness)

+1 on smoothness/quietness, not to mention most attractive in the lot.

Found it interesting they said "traditional hybrid" in the article.

I love how so many people dissed the Cruze before they saw one, sat in one or even drove one. It has to kill many writers now the car is showing well in test and with the public. I wonder what crow taste like...Chicken?

GM needs to keep building on this and keep the car current, a good value and high quality. Lutz left GM with a good car I just hope he left enough good people there to keep it on track.

This is why I don't get too excited on many new cars when they are just sketches or incomplet camo. I sense the new Malibu will also be a second helping of crow.

I just love to see the Asian fan boy squirm on other web sites when good things happen for Chevy. They really hate it.

• Agree 1

Cruze did well and definitely deserved the win. Impressive mpg numbers + good transmission + nicest interior by a wide margin (the laughably cheap Jetta doesn't even have silver or chrome accents around the gauges!) + being decent to drive all while being the cheapest is a great recipe. I personally would still pick teh Focus, but an impressive showing.

As an aside, I like how autoblog photographed each car at the same angle per set of photos so you can really compare them.

I drove one at a Chevy ride-and-drive and was really impressed with it. So much so that I tired to talk a co-worker into one. She chose to go with a Mini instead. From my experiences with friends who have had one, she might regret that decision. Certainly when she gets her first blow-out..

I spoke to a co worker today who has a Eco, he loves it!

He gets mid 30's around town and 42 highway. He said he thought he would never buy GM again but after driving the Cruze he was sold. He even said while it is not a race car by any means it is a peppy comfortable car to drive. Long trip are not a pain and have been a pleasure.

He said he had wished the Problemed Colorado he had was as good as this car has been. He said it must be a good example of old GM vs New GM.

He loved the Ecotec engine so much now he is looking to put a Turbo 2.0 in his street rod for something different and fast.

Regular Cruze should have weighed the same as the ECO. Cruze is certainly the underdog in the compacts after Hyundai and Ford went flashy, VW went cheap, and Honda and Toyota bank on their reputation.

Regular Cruze should have weighed the same as the ECO. Cruze is certainly the underdog in the compacts after Hyundai and Ford went flashy, VW went cheap, and Honda and Toyota bank on their reputation.

But then they couldn't have charged a premium for the ECO model..pay more to get less..

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It may be an underdog but it is #1 in sales right now. Hell I went to the Funneral Home last night for calling hours and there were three Cruze in the parking lot. GM keeps this car in the top 5 in sales it will do well to rebuilt peoples faith in them. So far anyone I have spoken too that has driven one or owned one said it is a sweet car. That is not something I have ever heard someone say about the Cobalt or Cavalier.

• Agree 2

Cruze did well and definitely deserved the win. Impressive mpg numbers + good transmission + nicest interior by a wide margin (the laughably cheap Jetta doesn't even have silver or chrome accents around the gauges!) + being decent to drive all while being the cheapest is a great recipe. I personally would still pick teh Focus, but an impressive showing.

As an aside, I like how autoblog photographed each car at the same angle per set of photos so you can really compare them.

The Cruze is easily GM's finest small car to date. But, I disagree with the above statement...

MPG numbers -- after going out of the way to reduce displacement to 1364cc and adding a turbocharger and aftercooler, it hit the market with 36 MPG. This was later bumped to 39 mpg with a revised axle ratio in the 2nd model year. But, even this new rating is 1 mpg behind a Hyundai or a Ford Focus with 2.0 engine. This is a little disappointing. It also goes to show that low displacement does not directly equal fuel economy.

Transmission -- The transmission's logic is not particularly smart or decisive. Revs are also on the high side on the freeway -- at least in the lower geared 2011 model. Not sure about the taller geared 2012s.

Refinement -- The engine is pretty smooth and refined. It is quieter than the direct injected Ford or Hyundai, partly because it is not direct injected and didn't have to deal with the However, it didn't feel decidedly more refined than the Civic's R18A. The cabin however is the best insulated of the class. Heck, I think its quieter in the Cruze than the 2008 Acura TL.

Edited by dwightlooi

I like the idea of ​​electric cars. The Cruze is certainly the best value of three vehicles. The cost difference alone will never be compensated by the differences in cost of fuel.

The same applies to the electric car too as it would take years to recover the cost in savings. This will improve the cost will drop on all these cars as they sell more and more of them while their range and MPG improve. For right now they have to just start some where they are and go from there.

I would have to disagree on this one. Cruze went for the "grown up" version, Ford went for the kid version, Hyundai went for the flashy version, VW went for the cheap version, honda went for the reputation version and toyota went for the non-car, stupid buyer, toyota kool aid drinking version.

Having driven the non-Eco & owning an Eco, I can tell you there is a definite difference and I could see why one would pick a non-Eco model. Yes, I have gotten 50.7 mpg on a 200+ mile road trip and am averaging 41 mpg, including tons of city and heavy footed driving, but if my life was s little different and they offered a manual transmission on other models, I would have chosen a 2LT over the Eco.

Many folks I have spoken with have commented that though they like the Mazda3, Focus and Elantra, they believe they look and drive like "kid cars". I couldn't agree more. The Cruze has a youthful part, but does not look like an 18 year old should own it, and has a design that will still look good after 5 years.

I would have to disagree on this one. Cruze went for the "grown up" version, Ford went for the kid version, Hyundai went for the flashy version, VW went for the cheap version, honda went for the reputation version and toyota went for the non-car, stupid buyer, toyota kool aid drinking version.

Having driven the non-Eco & owning an Eco, I can tell you there is a definite difference and I could see why one would pick a non-Eco model. Yes, I have gotten 50.7 mpg on a 200+ mile road trip and am averaging 41 mpg, including tons of city and heavy footed driving, but if my life was s little different and they offered a manual transmission on other models, I would have chosen a 2LT over the Eco.

Many folks I have spoken with have commented that though they like the Mazda3, Focus and Elantra, they believe they look and drive like "kid cars". I couldn't agree more. The Cruze has a youthful part, but does not look like an 18 year old should own it, and has a design that will still look good after 5 years.

Very well put. I have seen it several places where they say the Cruze if a small car for an adult.

I really wonder how nice the Buick will be once it arrives. It look great in person but I have not been inside of it yet. I wonder how GM upped the game on this one and not made if for just old people. We do know it will have power and it should still handle pretty good with out needing a kidney belt. The Quiet tuning will be the big plus.