Any upcoming changes for the Avalon?

The Avalon came out in mid(?) 2005 as an '05. Toyota's generation life span on the Avalon is sporadic. The first generation lasted six model years. The second only four. The 2008 Avalon could have the requisite mid-cycle refresh by then. I'm pretty positive a hybrid Avalon is in the works and would be available by then.

Love the current Avalon, but can't buy until late 2007.  Anyone know of any potential refreshes or complete model changes by the 2008 MY?  What is the life cycle these days...4.5 years?  So maybe 2009/2010 MY would be the new one.

It will most likely have a 6spd by then and some slight styling changes.

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

THIS IS A GM FANSITE

IF YOU ARE NOT THEN GET THE f@#k OUT

WE ONLY WANT GM FANS NOT THE REST OF THE f@#kING LOSERS

WE WILL INSULT YOU

THIS IS A GM FANSITE

WE WILL INSULT YOU

Shut up...it is MOSTLY a GM fansite, but there's "The Other Guys" thread here for a reason. If you don't have something productive or worthwhile to say, stay away.

As for the Avalon, my best guess would be just a few minor detail changes for '07 (maybe a new wheel design or two, and some colors). It already has the 3.5L that some other vehicles in the Toyota line are just getting, so it's the most current in that regard. They did just intro a new 6-spd auto with that engine on the Camry, so that might be a possibility.

But nothing really noticeable or major, I would assume, will change.

THIS IS A GM FANSITE

WE WILL INSULT YOU

I'm not sure how good my translation skills are, but we're you trying to say you wanted to be banned? If so, that can be easily done, just let me know.

As for the Avalon, I guess it's okay. I don't like the little "doors" on the interior (that hide the buttons) or how the buttons remind me of the ones in old cell phones, but the materials are pretty good. I would never buy one simply because I wouldn't be able to stand the doors and buttons.

I'm not sure how good my translation skills are, but we're you trying to say you wanted to be banned? If so, that can be easily done, just let me know.

As for the Avalon, I guess it's okay. I don't like the little "doors" on the interior (that hide the buttons) or how the buttons remind me of the ones in old cell phones, but the materials are pretty good. I would never buy one simply because I wouldn't be able to stand the doors and buttons.

You know what I always found funny? Those doors thathide the controls. The Navigator has them but it gets knocked cuz "they look cheap" but on the Avalon they're praised since "they hide teh buttons and create a clean look" Go figure.

Love the current Avalon, but can't buy until late 2007.  Anyone know of any potential refreshes or complete model changes by the 2008 MY?  What is the life cycle these days...4.5 years?  So maybe 2009/2010 MY would be the new one.

The Avalon's interior does sorta suck. The drawers are a pain, buttons are small and hard to press. There is tacking fake wood all over the place.

The Camry interior is world's better. Unless you seriously need the room or HID's, get the Camry instead, IMO.

Avalon has to be the most ponderous thing Toyota builds. It looks like an old American boat slapped on a too narrow chassis. I'm no fan of Toyota, but nothing else they build has such oddball proportions. It seems like one strange case of Toyota trying to build a car by American design standards and failing miserably. Much like the domestics do when they attempt to build something in a Japanese fashion. This car is another example of why domestic and import brands alike should stick to their own design language.

you love it? why? I can see liking it fo it's good quality...but loving it? it's not pretty and it's not sprty at all. :lol2:

Yep, I do love it. IMO, great styling interior room, Toyota quality, and features for the money. I disagree that this car is not sporty. It may appear that way to most as this is typically holds the mindset as the equivalent of a Buick for Toyota. But if you are a customizer with any creative ability(like me) you can make the car a real attention getter without being Ricey and making it lose its class. Guess I have more vision than you in this regard and can see some great potential to take an unassuming and not-so-typical car and do something wonderful with it.

Besides my original question had nothing to do with asking your opinion of the Avalon.

and the people at the burger king drive thru automatically know to ring up the senior discount for the 55 cent coffee when they see the LAVALON in the drive thru lane! is true they put depends in the trunk at the time of delivery?

lmao  :pokeowned:  :rotflmao:

Edited by regfootball

THIS IS A GM FANSITE

WE WILL INSULT YOU

Dick...ehem...I mean 'testicles', I do believe I posted this in "The Other Guys"(subforum Asian Marques), correct? Is that not an open invitation to post such questions?

I am on this website as I find it one of the BEST sites on the net for not only GM specifics, but other industry happenings. "MOSTLY" great people, very fast responses, active forums, current data. It's a shame folks like you have to go ruin the experience. I won't hold it against the other helpful people on C&G, with such a large database of users, there's bound to be at least a few bad apples. Grow up!

The Avalon's interior does sorta suck.  The drawers are a pain, buttons are small and hard to press.  There is tacking fake wood all over the place.

The Camry interior is world's better.  Unless you seriously need the room or HID's, get the Camry instead, IMO.

I actually like the doors, and can picture them paint-matched to the exterior color to pull it together better. And I've never been a fan of wood, so maybe I would do something to that too, but I actually loved the look of the lighter shade the Avalon has, IMO far better than the darker wood typically found in interiors.

And yeah I actually do need the room. I'm 5'11" and have a small child in the rear seat, unfortunately the car I have now does not offer enough front or rear room to be comfortable. This is one of the few that worked in both areas, and the only one I can recall with the flat floor in the rear. Just wished it had full folding rear seat rather than a pass-thru.

and the people at the burger king drive thru automatically know to ring up the senior discount for the 55 cent coffee when they see the LAVALON in the drive thru lane!  is true they put depends in the trunk at the time of delivery?

Like any Buick is different? The Lucerne is the only one coming close, but average age of the Lucerne owner is still typical Buick, which is the same as the Avalon. Once people stop stereotyping and get some ideas of their own, these cars will lose that stigma.

Okay, Now that I have replied to all the children of the group...I'd like to thank all those that have contributed to this thread in a meaningful way and actually addressed the original topic question.

I agree a Hybrid and the 6-speed make sense as something to come in the future. I hadn't thought of that prior to your responses. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Okay, Now that I have replied to all the children of the group...I'd like to thank all those that have contributed to this thread in a meaningful way and actually addressed the original topic question. 

I agree a Hybrid and the 6-speed make sense as something to come in the future.  I hadn't thought of that prior to your responses.  I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Creative, I'm glad you have taken such an even tone and made measured responses to the onslaught we subjected you to. I wish I had some information to help you out, I would happily post it. And if you can make the Avalon interesting, well, that is something I'd have to see. Good luck in your endeavors and I hope you won't hold the presence of the occasional "Lance" against us. 8)

I agree a Hybrid and the 6-speed make sense as something to come in the future.  I hadn't thought of that prior to your responses.  I appreciate the time you took to respond.

So, because not all of us are in love with the exterior, we're children? Nice, very nice.

So, because not all of us are in love with the exterior, we're children? Nice, very nice.

No, what he is saying is you're replying like children, it's like being 10 years old and sharing your opinion of PS2 and all the other kids like XBOX. As soon as one kid says something good about PS2, they reply in a childish manner by throwing stupid words around.

He's a good member, with no bias, and an open mind. We need more of him like this, and less of the Lance figures.

No, what he is saying is you're replying like children, it's like being 10 years old and sharing your opinion of PS2 and all the other kids like XBOX.  As soon as one kid says something good about PS2, they reply in a childish manner by throwing stupid words around.

He's a good member, with no bias, and an open mind.  We need more of him like this, and less of the Lance figures.

Meh, fine I simply won't reply it anymore, I just don't like the car. (btw PS2 is way better than Xbox :P )

Ok, then just say you simply don't like it, but not make up stupid excuses for it.

See now that sounds like a personal attack. So because I said it's "not pretty or sporty" that's a stupid excuse? I hate to tell ya, but it's universally agreed that the Avalon is anything but sporty. I didn't even call it a ugly piece of crap or anything, I simply said that I didn't think it was pretty. I suppose complimenting on being Toyota quality is part of the stupid "excuse" too? Come to think of it, how is any of the comment I made an "excuse"? What's it an "excuse" for? Do tell since you obviously seem to know.

Also, if you're trying to refer to my comment about the plastic doors on the center stack, and that while the Navigator gets slammed for them the Avalon gets praised...how is that stupid? It's simply a question.

I am on this website as I find it one of the BEST sites on the net for not only GM specifics, but other industry happenings.  "MOSTLY" great people, very fast responses, active forums, current data.  It's a shame folks like you have to go ruin the experience.  I won't hold it against the other helpful people on C&G, with such a large database of users, there's bound to be at least a few bad apples.  Grow up!

This means so much to myself and the others who put together and run this website on a daily basis. I thank you for your patronage here and wish you good luck in finding whatever car you're looking for (sure you don't want a Lucerne? :D I do have to say it).

I also apologize to all for Testicles. Its clear he has none and he'll have plenty of time to find a set now that he won't be bothering this site anymore.

Toyota and Honda apologists are far too forgiving for vehicles like the Avalon and Ridgeline. I spent some time in both of them recently and was somewhat shocked at the ugly plastic inside.

I just don't get the Avalon. Never have. The Camry, at least, is a balanced looking car and is more reasonably priced. I just can't see anybody in their right mind paying $8,000 more for an Avalon over an Impala LTZ.

The trunk is unforgivably small. The interior is plasticky. IMO, the outside design is not balanced. I wouldn't call this car ugly, but I would by the Lexus ES over the Avalon any day.

Why would one pay $40,000 for a Toyota? At least buy a Lexus!

Toyota and Honda apologists are far too forgiving for vehicles like the Avalon and Ridgeline.  I spent some time in both of them recently and was somewhat shocked at the ugly plastic inside.

I just don't get the Avalon.  Never have.  The Camry, at least, is a balanced looking car and is more reasonably priced.  I just can't see anybody in their right mind paying $8,000 more for an Avalon over an Impala LTZ.

The trunk is unforgivably small.  The interior is plasticky.  IMO, the outside design is not balanced.  I wouldn't call this car ugly, but I would by the Lexus ES over the Avalon any day.

Why would one pay $40,000 for a Toyota?  At least buy a Lexus!

I tought the interior was supposed to be one of the highlight sof that car?

Toyota and Honda apologists are far too forgiving for vehicles like the Avalon and Ridgeline.  I spent some time in both of them recently and was somewhat shocked at the ugly plastic inside.

I just don't get the Avalon.  Never have.  The Camry, at least, is a balanced looking car and is more reasonably priced.  I just can't see anybody in their right mind paying $8,000 more for an Avalon over an Impala LTZ.

The trunk is unforgivably small.  The interior is plasticky.  IMO, the outside design is not balanced.  I wouldn't call this car ugly, but I would by the Lexus ES over the Avalon any day.

Why would one pay $40,000 for a Toyota?  At least buy a Lexus!

Makes sense :thumbsup:

THIS IS A GM FANSITE

WE WILL INSULT YOU

Time for you to get your act together or leave. I'm sure the moderators would agree. People are tired with dealing with you. Myself included.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Actually I called you and a few others children because of the childish responses that were completely unrelated to the actual question.

For instance here is your original post to this thread..."you love it? why? I can see liking it fo it's good quality...but loving it? it's not pretty and it's not sprty at all."

So this is how I see it. I asked in the appropriate forum of any upcomnig changes and your immediate response was questioning why I even 'love' it. Okay maybe a strong word to use, but definitely did not deserve an equally bold stance of questioning my opinion. Did you get the impression that I even wanted a sporty car from my original question? Maybe good quality is near and dear to me and I have to right to find the vehicle attractive, interior doors and smaller truck alike. It's got what I am interested in and I'm entitled to my opinion. Can you imagine what this world would be like if we all had the same car??? Wouldn't do much for this website that's for sure...

Are you buying an Avalon because Car and Drivel told you to? Listen to the poster above who recommended the Impala. The Quality, ride and performance of the Chevy is 100 times that of the japcrap Avalon. Or look at the Lucerne or Lacrosse and you'll find you don't have to spend 40 grand on a cheapo Toyota to get quality and performance.

Open your eyes man. Toyota is not that great! These cars will be plagued with issues up and down while the smart people will be cruising right by you laughing at you because you chose an inferior Toyota.

Do you really want that embarrassment?

Are you buying an Avalon because Car and Drivel told you to? Listen to the poster above who recommended the Impala. The Quality, ride and performance of the Chevy is 100 times that of the japcrap Avalon. Or look at the Lucerne or Lacrosse and you'll find you don't have to spend 40 grand on a cheapo Toyota to get quality and performance.

Open your eyes man. Toyota is not that great! These cars will be plagued with issues up and down while the smart people will be cruising right by you laughing at you because you chose an inferior Toyota.

Oh great, first Lance, now you... A little bit too much GM-Kool-Aid? What evidence or proof do you have to back up your claim that an Impala is 100 times better than an Avalon? Take off your GM goggles, the Allure is a nice car, but doesn't compare to the Avalon.

Get out and DRIVE the said vehicles! I had a customer pull up in a brand new Ion on Saturday and he said he had driven the Corolla and it in no way compared to the Ion (his opinion, not mine) or the Cobalt (which I agree with.) This guy, a 26 year old Asian kid, was very meticulous in his buying decision and knew all the research I could throw at him. He admitted he was getting razzed by his friends for buying American but that he felt the Ion was the best of what he had driven last summer. Now he is looking for a car for his mother.

I am mentioning this here because I was shocked (and refreshed) by his remarks and his conclusions. Isn't that sad? He knew all about CR and the other crap, but was unmoved and actually made his decision based on unbiased driving experience. He even mentioned that he found the Corolly "tinny" and that it shook over bumps - two impression that I have long had about hat car.

If there are more people out there like that, then GM has a chance. The Avalon is obviously a better car than the Corolla, but it is stupidly overpriced.

And, really, for the money, wouldn't a BMW5 look better?

Domesticated,

Please re-read CreativeVision's post(s). He's clearly stated that he's not looking for your opinion of the Avalon. Responses like your's are of no use to him, especially in the way you've presented your thoughts. Thank you.

Actually I don't subscribe nor do I read any publications other than Autoweek and this forum. The new Impala was an option for me, as was the Lucerne and LaCrosse. I really do want to stick with GM to keep the money in the US, but honestly I sat in all these vehicles at the '06 Chicago Autoshow and personally the Avalon beat them all.

Now I do agree with another poster, that the test drive will be the ultimate decision maker, but since I have some time until I buy, I'm not going to waste the time of a salesman and get harassed for a sale that isn't going to happen. When I'm ready I will certainly test drive all options, and by then many things will change. For instance, if the Impala had a nicer interior(c'mon you have to admit it is cheap looking and feeling...many here would agree); or the Lucerne/LaCrosse offered at least a 5-speed and a little more horsepower in the base V6 I might be swayed that way. But as it stands today, I just think the Avalon satisfies me more in the areas I feel are important to me. In fact even before I knew of this site and before Toyota was thought as the juggernaut of the auto world, I loved the Avalon. Only at that time I was trying to convince my father to buy it. Now I'm a father and my affection for the Avalon has grown more.

I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree for today's offerings. As I said, I don't think the interior in the Impala is anything special. The ride I can't comment on for either. If by performance you mean the 303 HP that FWD architecture can't control, then sure it has the leg up on the 268 of the Avalon. I'm not looking to drag race the car, just have some passing power and be an upgrade to the 215HP my current car has. Interesting that you say "will" have problems and not currently do. Nice assumption, but given the reputation Toyota(and many import brands) have built for quality, I can't see this changing any time soon. Not to say GM has quality problems, my family has owned many over the years and they all were fine vehicles.

Look...the bottom line here is I may have been bold in my testament of "love" for the Avalon, but I am at least open to all vehicles(not blinded by Toyota glitz as you suggest). I sat in many a vehicles at the Autoshow and do read these forums for options. Saab, Subaru, Pontiac, Saturn, Chevy, Buick...all have something that has been an option. And when I am ready to buy all of them will have something to offer in the way of a 4-dr family car and I'll reassess the marketplace at that time.

Edited by CreativeVision