ocnblu

Sooooo..... new Cherokee

What do you guys think? Is it too Juke-y? Not Jeep-y enough? It sure is jarringly new.

linky? I haven't seen anything but vague disguised spy pics a while back...

Edit--found the pics on Autoblog and Allpar. Hmmm...not sure what I think yet...definitely different. Something unusual going on w/ the front lighting and grille...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I guess the Italians are aiming for something high style like the Evoque...personally, I prefer the rugged, no-nonsense look of the old XJ Cherokee...

Well, I don't mean to honk my own horn, but I've pretty much been warning everyone not to expect the new KL Cherokee to be a revival of the classic XJ model for sometime now.

Because of its questionable off-road capability, polarizing styling, and the lofty expectations the Cherokee name carries, this will certainly be the one new car release from Marchionne-run Chrysler to keep watch on. I've definitely been keeping tabs on this car in particular because I really do think it's a model that could really make or break Jeep and could even have an effect on the company as a whole.

The silver picture posted earlier on the Internet had me stunned... then I saw the dark blue posted here and think I;ll hold off on my comments until I see it in person in NYC soon.

I sent a couple of photos of the blue one to my cousin who has had a Cherokee and 2 Liberties... she messaged back... "It's pretty! How is the gas mileage?"

I have a strong feeling this will sell like hotcakes. I'm still stunned and shocked by it myself.

I have a strong feeling this will sell like hotcakes.

I wouldn't bet my money on that just yet. The design has grown on a few people since yesterday, but from what I've seen, negative opinions are still far outweighing positive ones overall.

Also, I'm hearing over at Allpar that Chrysler's PR team had to take the Cherokee press release off of Jeep's Facebook page due to an overwhelming amount of negative comments.

Like I said, this will be the one new car from Chrysler to keep watch on.

Edited by black-knight

It seems like Jeep designers have lost the script on brand identity..first they put Chrysler headlights on the '14 Grand Cherokee, ruining it's front end appearance, now this...

It seems like Jeep designers have lost the script on brand identity..first they put Chrysler headlights on the '14 Grand Cherokee, ruining it's front end appearance, now this...

Seems to me that got lost with the Compass...

Playing the devil's advocate, I will give them credit for trying something new with the front end and not just rehashing the same designs they've been using for 20 years.

Seems to me that got lost with the Compass...

What he said.

Polarizing as a Love Hate relationship would be and just could end up being a smash hit.

I asked my son who bought a 2012 Liberty and he said he would pass as
it does not have the traditional Jeep look that he loves and why he got
the Liberty, yet his girl friend said she loves it and always thought
Alex's Liberty was old looking.

Again, this is the Y generation, both 25 years old, so I think they
will be successful but to the youth martket more than the older market.

Women seem to like dumpy looking cars, so maybe it will do well.

I wouldn't let it into my driveway - looks like it got thumped with the ugly stick to me.

One thing I missed in the writeups--the hardware..is this just a FWD/AWD CUV or is it a RWD/AWD SUV?

The KL is CUSW (read: Dart) based, so base models will be front-wheel drive and probably feature some variation of the Tigershark four-cylinder, I believe. Upmarket versions will feature the 3.2 liter version of the Pentastar six, and will be all-wheel drive. I've heard from one source the all-wheel drive models may feature some form of an actual transfer case.

Edited by black-knight

"It's pretty! How is the gas mileage?"

shows you how Jeep is a) going after the real buyers (women, and they want cute crossovers)

and b) they are willing to water down what a real Jeep is (Wrangler) and dilute what Jeep is.

I would think two cute utes already (Compass, Patriot) would have been enough, but noooo....sad to see Jeep continue to be diluted.

One thing I missed in the writeups--the hardware..is this just a FWD/AWD CUV or is it a RWD/AWD SUV?

The KL is CUSW (read: Dart) based, so base models will be front-wheel drive and probably feature some variation of the Tigershark four-cylinder, I believe. Upmarket versions will feature the 3.2 liter version of the Pentastar six, and will be all-wheel drive. I've heard from one source the all-wheel drive models may feature some form of an actual transfer case.

Wow, that's just awful news.

Makes this thing one big pile of suck.

Wow, that's just awful news.

Makes this thing one big pile of suck.

As I recall, the last gen small CUVs from Jeep (Patriot and Compass) coexisted because of results from focus groups. Women preferred the styling of the Compass, while men preferred the Patriot. Also, at launch, only the Patriot was "Trail Rated." So Jeep decided to make both to please everybody.

The Cherokee appears to be a fusion of the two... that went terribly, horribly wrong.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook