BMW 1 series = DEAD

regfootball

I believe this is for US only as you guys don't get the current 1-Series hatch... The so called "1-Series GT" (i.e. hunchback 5-door) will be FWD-based but no FWD hatches have been spotted so far, as far as I know...

Since the 2nd gen 3-dr and 5-dr RWD 1-series came out in MY 11, so probably around 2015-2016 they will have the FWD 1-series hatches (and presumably a sedan for the US), to compete w/ the A3 and A-class/CLA... though I think they should keep the FWD for Mini only.

BMW will Hurt not Help their image with FWD in the US. This is DEAD on Arrival for them as a FWD appliance.

Problem is, the typical consumers are so clueless and non-serious about cars today they won't even pay attention to the FWD vs RWD aspect.

FWD is not on the radar of the BMW buyer, esp since Corporate revealed 80% think (in other words: WANT) the 1 is FWD, so actively marketing FWD (being the case with the upcoming ones) will obviously attract a large component, IMO.

But the 'damage' isn't short terms sales (or lack thereof), but the inverse message to what BMW has preached openly in ads previously. IOW, we'll have polar opposites (as stated by BMW marketing dept) in the same showroom with the same badges. Whether this will erode BMW's 'message' or whether what Moltar stated above ('clueless') is closer to reality, time will tell.

Edited by balthazar

The current 1 is the only BMW I really like. I can appreciate its pugnacious stance and its very tidy size. The new 2 looks to improve on the current car. I'm interested in seeing more of it.

But I also like the CLA, and I am usually not a 4-door kinda guy.

Actually the 1 Series M is apparently an excellent car to drive, being likened to what the M3 used to be before it got fat. I just never cared for the way the 1 Series looks.

I've heard good things about the 1M...favorably compared to the E36 M3. The current 1 series may be the last true enthusiast BMW without all the BS....

Two things that really turn me off on the departing 1 series. Too overwrought stylistically and not really an E46 successor as much as magazines claim it to be.

I sometime wish how would the 3.0T behave in the beautiful E46 chassis.

I wish a car company would break down by region the auto sales as I have only seen a couple BMW's 1 on the lots and they still seem to be there. People who know their auto's consider the 1's to be an insult to the Ultimate Driving Machine logo. Yet I do acknowledge that many 1 buyers are clueless to the FWD versus RWD design.