Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@ocnblu

You need to give this guy a big kiss as he has introduced legislation to end all EV tax breaks.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/12/senator-barrasso-end-federal-ev-tax-credit/ 

Not to be political, but given the mishandling of trade by both political parties and the apathy of the American people...the 21st century will be the Chinese Century.

19th century should ahve been the French century but it was the British century.

20th Century should ahve been the Germany century but it was the American century.

21st century should ahve been another American Century but it will belong to the Chinese.

We might as well hand them dominance in electric cars...we have handed them everything else on a silver platter.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

@ocnblu

You need to give this guy a big kiss as he has introduced legislation to end all EV tax breaks.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/12/senator-barrasso-end-federal-ev-tax-credit/ 

It makes perfect sense.  You can still buy a Bolt if you want one.  Seems the shallow demand is already drying up for the friendliest electric car on the market, so maybe you can get a real good deal.

Edited by ocnblu

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Blazer prices?  Well, that escalated quickly...  :rolleyes:

GM's (non-Cadillac) pricing is crazy lately.  It makes it nearly impossible to support them when the competition is coming with more content standard, or at lower prices, or at lower trim levels. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

GM's (non-Cadillac) pricing is crazy lately.  It makes it nearly impossible to support them when the competition is coming with more content standard, or at lower prices, or at lower trim levels. 

The lack of a sport compact would do it for me.

At least with Ford we ahve the RS and the ST twins, until Focus and Fiesta get the plug pulled on them.

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The lack of a sport compact would do it for me.

At least with Ford we ahve the RS and the ST twins, until Focus and Fiesta get the plug pulled on them.

How cool would a swoopy Cruze 2-door hatch (with the silhouette of the sedan, not the relatively frumpy 5-door) SS be with the 2.0t?

Given recent market trends... maybe a new bodystyle Trax SS with 2.0t and six speed manuel, por favor?

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

How cool would a swoopy Cruze 2-door hatch (with the silhouette of the sedan, not the relatively frumpy 5-door) SS be with the 2.0t?

Would be cool...sadly, 2drs seem to be dead in today's market.  I saw a black G6 coupe in good condition today, damn that car had a striking silhouette...

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I agree.  I recently had a Hyundai Sonata for a couple of days.  It doesn't price out much higher than a Chevy Cruze (LT), yet it's a larger car.  I will say that the Japanese full sizes (for rental fleet classification - they're more like mid-sizes to me) don't feel that great (solid) when scrutinized, such as by simply closing their doors.  Not long after this rental, a friend of mine gave me a ride in his retired mom's newer Cruze LT.  The build quality in it is better than that of larger Japanese sedans and it rides more quietly.  So, while there is value in the foreign competition's cars (let's include the German Passat), I'm still not convinced they're what they're cracked up to be or that I'd like owning one long-term.

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I agree.  I recently had a Hyundai Sonata for a couple of days.  It doesn't price out much higher than a Chevy Cruze (LT), yet it's a larger car.  I will say that the Japanese full sizes (for rental fleet classification - they're more like mid-sizes to me) don't feel that great (solid) when scrutinized, such as by simply closing their doors.  Not long after this rental, a friend of mine gave me a ride in his retired mom's newer Cruze LT.  The build quality in it is better than that of larger Japanese sedans and it rides more quietly.  So, while there is value in the foreign competition's cars (let's include the German Passat), I'm still not convinced they're what they're cracked up to be or that I'd like owning one long-term.

I would have to agree...drove a new Honda Accord, not as impressed as I thought I would be. The Ford Fusion and Malibu ride and drive much better. I do like the new CRV, but I found the Nox/Terrian twins have much more useful space- and the seats are quite cozy. (It’s what sold my mom on their 19 Nox LT) They just have to work on their pricing to sell more cars....

• Agree 1

^ The rolling speedometer on the original Toronado was unusual and interesting.  That's for sure.  But I don't know if I liked it.  I definitely liked the trestle shifter on the console.  I wish they would have retained it on the last-gen as a salute to the Toronado's heritage.

Onward with random thoughts:

I've never been a big fan of Westerns but I saw the reboot of "The Magnificent Seven" and thought it was pretty good.  Maybe because movie making techniques and sound have improved. What a lawless world that was - people's lives were about as important as those of insects.  I think I've never liked Westerns because I've never liked driving across the vast, empty, and eerie expanses found in the West, which accounts for most of it, and Westerns remind me of those dreary road trips.  They're not places you'd want to break down.  But then, neither is East St. Louis.

Had no Idea that in 2008 NBC did a reboot of Knight Rider with Karr being a Mustang Cobra. Only 17 episodes were done before NBC pulled it due to low viewership.

QY5363x.jpg

Anyone watch it? Have to check it out if it is on one of the streaming channels.

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to do a drive to NY today, but because the Honda is broken down again I can't take the Buick... so my Toronado is being pressed back into roadtrip service again.

What broke NOW on the Honda? All the best in your Roadtrip in the Toro, that is an awesome auto! :metal:

• Agree 1

My Grandpa, dads dad who I was very close to, got me interested in photography died 3 years ago today and all I can think about is his last cadillac that I just loved. 1996 Fleetwood Brougham in that lovely Maroon color.

See the source image

His was identical to this and he kept it immaculate. Sadly my dad older sister got it and she trashed it, then traded it in on a Lexus. What a waste.

RIP Grandpa Eddie, you are missed and never forgotten!

• Agree 4

Sorry about your Honda Drew. When are you going to finally unload that?

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Had no Idea that in 2008 NBC did a reboot of Knight Rider with Karr being a Mustang Cobra. Only 17 episodes were done before NBC pulled it due to low viewership.

QY5363x.jpg

Anyone watch it? Have to check it out if it is on one of the streaming channels.

Or they pulled it because pedestrians, shrubbery and curbs on set were not safe from the voracious appetite of the mustang.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sorry about your Honda Drew. When are you going to finally unload that?

Or they pulled it because pedestrians, shrubbery and curbs on set were not safe from the voracious appetite of the mustang.

Lol..can't recall if it was this same Knight Rider or another, but I recall a Ford pickup also....maybe that was the 'Team Knight Rider' series.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

XP-836 1964 1 Camaro.png

I was going to guess 1970ish Pontiac LeMans, but close enough.

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to do a drive to NY today, but because the Honda is broken down again I can't take the Buick... so my Toronado is being pressed back into roadtrip service again.

Safe travels.  Are you going to the state or to the tri-state area (NYC and surrounding metro area)?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

My Grandpa, dads dad who I was very close to, got me interested in photography died 3 years ago today and all I can think about is his last cadillac that I just loved. 1996 Fleetwood Brougham in that lovely Maroon color.

See the source image

His was identical to this and he kept it immaculate. Sadly my dad older sister got it and she trashed it, then traded it in on a Lexus. What a waste.

RIP Grandpa Eddie, you are missed and never forgotten!

I couldn't believe how plush some of these RWD GM top of the line boulevardiers were ... an era that will never come back.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Front bumper, grille and headlights kind of resemble a '69-70 Shelby or '71-74 Javelin...

Yes, some Javelin but I saw some Pontiac because they tended to scoop out their grilles in that era.  I don't like the front vent window.  Cars looked so much cleaner when they got rid of those.  It's only as of late that they've been able to put them back in without making them look dorky (I'm thinking Verano).

• Agree 2

Those Broughams were great.  An Aunt of mine that passed away a few years ago had one, a silver '95 IIRC.  Not sure what became of it, her sons (my cousins) are both Toyota men.  

My late Father was a Town Car man, drove them from the mid 70s until his last one, a blue '96.   Very comfortable and quiet cars.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Today was the latest adventure w/ my sister's '06 Cadillac STS...she gets up early on Mondays to drive to Toledo for the week (current contract is over there).   I went out to put her luggage in the car and noticed the remote would open the rear doors but not the the front doors.  I managed to get the driver's door open w/ the key (seemed odd to do that on a car w/ a remote), and it wouldn't start.   Called AAA, they jumped it, said the 600 CCA battery was only putting out 89 amps, they charged it up and got it running.  Said there was an 'open diode' and something was draining the battery.   I had to shuffle the cars around and get her Trax out of the garage.

So it was now about 7am, the garage she uses opened at 8, so I drove around for an hour--got some breakfast--didn't want to shut the car off-- and took it the shop.   They later called back, said it was the alternator.  They had to order one..should have it fixed tomorrow, going to go ahead and get the brakes (drums and rotors) and shocks done also. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Watching Monday Night Football, saw an ad for Applebees with the old song 'At Last..' (most famous version is probably Etta James).   I swear I remember it being used in a Cadillac ad, maybe 20 years ago.  Couldn't find it mentioned on Wikipedia, they mentioned it being in a Jaguar ad.   Odd to hear that song w/ Applebees...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I really didn't want to see this come to fruition. 

Titanic replica to set sail

It was an ugly ship, unlike newer and sleeker ones.  Why rebuild it?  Just because of that stupid (Oscar winning) movie?

:puke:Once they satisfy the over paying baby boomers who want to live the experience, the rest of us will say PASS. The boat will then end up as a gambling boat in China or gutted and redone to modern day style as those cramped conditions in the lower tier cabins no one wants. Even today's modern boats are cramped. I just do not see what the big deal is about the boat or the movie which I honestly never saw. My daughter and wife went to see it multiple times and my daughter owns the sound track. She is banned from playing it at home any time I am home. I am so sick of the music and the whole jack crap story. <_<

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2