Random Thoughts Thread

Nice photo of the manufacturing plant, with Eldorado out front, then Riviera and Toronado.  I remember feeling proud as a GM fan when they first appeared, they were so well done, just classically elegant.  IMHO, GM's first 3 rounds of downsizing were great successes (B/C/D Bodies in 1977, A and A-Special in 1978, E-Bodies in 1979) but everything after that was a complete disaster.  It led to GM losing massive amounts of market share and they never recovered.  And now look where Barra has them headed, what a shame.  Maybe a permanent switch to FCA is what I need, too much heartache, adhering to what GM "was".

Edited by ocnblu

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

It had 2 doors on one side and 1 on the other, and damn if it didn't look totally factory. In hindsight, I would proclaim that to be impossible… but if the body side was stamped as a whole piece and the shell welded together- technically it might be possible…but even if welded up that way- how the hell did it get past the plant gate?

Built on a Monday after a holiday weekend when the QA people were hung over?   Or on a Friday before a holiday weekend when everyone wanted to get out...

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That pic of an E-body assembly line made me wonder—on an assembly line of multiple models, did the wrong interior ever get installed in a car (like an Eldorado interior in a Toronado). 

You'd have to do almost the entire interior wrong.  For example, the dashboards are all unique, so buttons and such would be in the wrong place. The door panels are unique, the window/seat control panel from my car won't fit a Riv or Eldo.   I think someone would catch that. 

Great Read about RJ CEO of Rivian and his confirmation that you can purchase and add auxiliary battery packs to your truck or suv and that the Rivian auto's will allow vehicle to vehicle electric transfer.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/28323/the-drive-interview-rivian-automotive-founder-and-ceo-rj-scaringe

Great info about the company and the truck and suv that goes into mass production next year and the Amazon and Ford investment.

Gotta say this interview is awesome, but I love this at the end as he is a Combustion Guy. @ocnblu Worth the Read, but thought you would find this interesting.

Quote:

I understand you grew up helping your neighbor restoring 356s.

Yeah! Are you a Porsche person?

I am, but more so, I'm a combustion guy. I love the sound of a combustion engine. I love a manual. How do you sell someone like me on your car?

I grew up restoring classic Porsches and I had all kinds of crazy projects. I built engines, I'm an absolute car person. It's like the heart of my life. I love cars. But, I don't view electric and combustion as being at odds with one another. It's just a very different and new flavor. I've been driving electrics for a while and it's a completely different experience and, I think, in a positive way. You lose the manual, you lose some of the noise, but you gain incredible smoothness, incredible torque response, and precision with throttling that torquing in and out. I find it more enjoyable, but I think it is a process. People that grew up with something, it’s always a transition, just like anything else. There are all the cliché analogies, that the combustion engine with being a manual transmission is like a horse in the 1930s. There are people who grew up around it like it and appreciate that, but it is absolutely not going to be a long term part of the transportation system. It just simply can't, for a variety of reasons.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

GM Confirms Electric Pickup which will be built on Gen 3 of their EV Platform.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/06/gm-electric-pickup-truck-mark-reuss/

CUV/Cars on Gen 2 EV Platform and Trucks and others on Gen 3. Very interesting 🤔

This makes me think Gen 2 EV Platform will cover mid size and smaller where Gen 3 EV Platform will cover full size trucks / SUVs.

Mazda has just confirmed they will release their first EV towards the end of 2020 for sale around the globe and a Hybrid for global sale in 2021.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/mazda-counts-evs-reach-eu-co2-goal

Mazda CEO Marumoto also talks about Diesel, I honestly think he is lying to himself about the future of Diesel.

Comparison of the Audi and MB EVs here and they are very conventional looking CUVs for being EVs.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/09/audi-mercedes-ev-suv-design/

Not sure why MB feels the need to make the engine bay look like this but OK.

2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC

Seems the Toyota Tundra 2021 Hybrid Pickup was captured out testing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/11/2021-toyota-tundra-hybrid-spy-photos/#slide-7593423

Interesting based on the various angels of pictures taken.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Comparison of the Audi and MB EVs here and they are very conventional looking CUVs for being EVs.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/09/audi-mercedes-ev-suv-design/

Not sure why MB feels the need to make the engine bay look like this but OK.

2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC

I guess by making the engine compartment look like a normal ICE CUV helps make it less strange like other EVs.  And the EQC and Etron are both based on normal CUV platforms, not dedicated EV platforms. 

• Thanks 1

it is absolutely not going to be a long term part of the transportation system. It just simply can't, for a variety of reasons.

Internal Combustion's been here since day 1, still controlling 97% of the global market 140 years later, but it "can't be long term". :rolleyes:
That, folks, is salesmanship!

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

2021-trailblazer-jellybean-01.png

Is that the Rav4? 🤔

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.26.47 AM.png

That has some SWEET Skirts to go with that awesome smooth style. Would be awesome as an EV with that front being a huge frunk. :D 

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

🤮 Why? Do you actually believe a person would use a car like this to go grocery shopping?

Yes, Road Trips, Grocery Shopping, Drive it anywhere and everywhere.

As one who I agree with that the Auto Industry has lost its style. Why not bring some of these smooth flowing machines back as modern day EVs. Air should flow around this with minimal resistance. It's own unique sound with the constant torque pulling experience.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

No. No enthusiast is going to take a possibly $50K plaything to the supermarket when unquestionably they have 1 or more disposable modern vehicles to expose to damage. 

Dave, I am afraid you are losing your automotive perspective.

This David is not losing any auto perspective, just broadening it! :D 

I look to have a Multicultural love of all things.

Check out the ATS-V Vector Blue Edition special for Japan market only. Price including all taxes is $102,700

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/02/cadillac-debuts-ats-v-vector-blue-edition-for-japan/

Course Washington has some prime Cadillac examples

See the source image

But then plenty of Iron in Japan especially their love affair of the Hummer!

See the source image

I will say there is some lovely Iron in Japan.

See the source image

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

‘Multicultural’ pretty much becomes window dressing when one advocates a period, customized, 70- yr old cruiser be gutted and electrified. 

Big disconnect my friend, guess I was not clear enough, build a new cruiser like what you see in the 70 yr old one but as an EV from the ground up. Modern, but with that style and flair using new tech.

I am not the only one to see also as a project converting old cars to electric.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/autos/classic-american-cars-perfect-for-electric-supercar-conversion/ 

So...Im in my car today. Driving my daughter to her high school so she could do an exam she has. I drop her off, and so I decide to joyride and cruise around in closeness to her school. I do have a couple of hours to kill and its a nice sunny day today.

Ive never felt ashamed of what I drive in my life. Ive never felt intimidated by other cars (size or badge wise). Nor Inadequate  in any way. 

Until today...(I was in my car, a 2012 Acura TL ) 

A brand new Lincoln Navigator driven by a dude from Ontario. He had Ontario plates...

He was in the right lane on a 3 lane boulevard.  I was in the middle lane.  We were always right beside each other. I was admiring his truck. Its such a big ride.  Its got presence on the road.  But it is not there that I felt this way.

There was a little bit of traffic so we are not driving fast. A good, cruising speed for everybody.  He wants to go in front of me to merge in the middle lane, he accelerates and gets in front of me.  All is good so far.  We continue for another 5 minutes, but by now, Im going a tad too far from the school so I wanna get back.  I got the time, but I dont want to drive further on this road as its such a boring commute.  I proceed to merge to the right. We get to the lights but there is construction in my lane. The 'Gator driver realizes that, so he kinda lets me squeeze next to him. Good guy...but...as we are acknowledging each other, me thanking him, him accepting his nice gesture and kinda thanking me for my gesture earlier...  he kinda sees it in me that Im enjoying his truck, so he pulls on a very arrogant smirk and obviously he is looking down at me...his ride is soooo much higher than mine...so...with his arrogant smirk, looking down at me, he NOW not only is LITERALLY looking down at me...but he is LOOKING DOWN at me...and me...squeezing into his lane...feeling vulnerable at the sheer size of this thing...

Light turns green, he drives straight, I turn right, and Im questioning my manhood...should I bite the SUV bullet and trade my sporty sedan in for the next generation Escalade ESV?  

I really felt...small...in more ways than one...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ykX said:

@oldshurst442 your manhood should be fine even if you drive a Miata.  If it is not, than even an Escalade probably will not help :)

Yeah...a big truck (or Miata or Muscle Car) wont help with my manliness if Im having issues...  LOL

I am not having issues. 

Though...maybe I need sex... (It has been awhile)

\Maybe I need to take my woman and tell her: "listen babe, when the  kids go to sleep tonight, you and I, will make the earth MOVE!!!"   "Shhhhhh....let me take care of you baby!"  

And then proceed to do it all over our house....and quite honestly...I dont care if I wake up the neighbors let alone my kids...

EDIT:

Or maybe...mid-life crisis is kicking in?

I highly doubt that!

I would rather think that I need to please my woman and make her feel like when we first met...over and over and over again...   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ykX said:

@oldshurst442 your manhood should be fine even if you drive a Miata.  If it is not, than even an Escalade probably will not help :)

This +1,000,000

Yup, @oldshurst442 ya got nothing to worry about, he was a douche bag in an awesome ride. I will say I can never see myself in a car again after driving a full size SUV. Started life driving a Chevy Luv Truck, went to cars and then Wrangler and then Suburban / Escalade and never anything smaller. They are just too comfy to go to small or midsize auto's.

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This +1,000,000

Yup, @oldshurst442 ya got nothing to worry about, he was a douche bag in an awesome ride. I will say I can never see myself in a car again after driving a full size SUV. Started life driving a Chevy Luv Truck, went to cars and then Wrangler and then Suburban / Escalade and never anything smaller. They are just too comfy to go to small or midsize auto's.

I dont think he was a douchebag.  Its more me thinking this way and reading into his mannerisms more than I should. 

He did arrogantly smirk....but there is NOTHING wrong with that.  I would too, arrogantly smirk if some stranger admired my brand new awesome ride.  It was arrogant as much as it was playful between two guys happily driving around in beautiful weather.  Life is good for me as Id like to think that life is good for him too.  We were both enjoying the moment. It was a cool moment. 

He let me into his lane. He did not have to do that. I would either scrape my car on some barriers, or wait for at least 5-6 cars to go by before I would be able to go around the obstacles in my lane going into the lane beside me. 

It wasnt like that asshat with the '69 Cutlass convertible last week.  THAT was a douchebag.  He should have acknowledged me admiring his car. He could have arrogantly smiled at me too....which I would have approved even further.

Yeah, dawg!  You got the car, bro!   Good for you!  Yeah...you deserve that arrogant smile.  Enjoy your ride, man!!! 

That is how I view folk that acknowledge others for admiring their car... When they smile back at you!

He chose to ignore me!  Like I wasnt there. A mere peasant I was to him...THAT is 100%  douchebag behaviour right there!!! In my opinion at least. 

I always compliment folk on their rides when I see a nice car that catches my eye. And it doesnt have to be cars that I personally like. Like an Olds 442 or Trans Am.  Anything that looks good, Ill compliment. 

In reality with the situation with the new 'Gator'...  I did feel down....

A tad jealous?  For him having a 2019 model year vehicle?

Maybe Im itching form a new car myself?  

Probably not.

Mid-life crisis?  

Not for wanting and lusting after an SUV...so scratch that idea.

I dont know why I got down today after that incident...but Ill tell ya one thing. Im no longer feeling that sentiment.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

Random road encounter...  I know the 'Jeep wave' is a thing amongst Wrangler owners, don't really see it with other Jeeps, though.   I was sitting at a light today at the front of the queue, and across the intersection from me was a black Grand Cherokee, pretty much identical to mine.  The driver flashed his headlights at me.  Not sure if it was a variation on the Jeep wave or what.

My Compass tends to intimidate Wrangler owners, I guess.  And why wouldn't it?  I usually roll my window down and raise my arm as high as I can in a wave, but they kind of scooch down in their seat and keep their eyes straight ahead.  Hey guys:  no need to feel embarrassed.

100_2315.JPG

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

My Compass tends to intimidate Wrangler owners, I guess.  And why wouldn't it?  I usually roll my window down and raise my arm as high as I can in a wave, but they kind of scooch down in their seat and keep their eyes straight ahead.  Hey guys:  no need to feel embarrassed.

100_2315.JPG

All BS aside, I do like the color on that. It’s a very “Jeep” kind of color. 

• Thanks 1

I pretty much just wave at all SUV peeps or anyone that shows basic common sense of being nice on the road. No reason to not be polite.

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

All BS aside, I do like the color on that. It’s a very “Jeep” kind of color. 

Love the Green that is on the Rivian R1S. That is lovely also, but then GM has that metallic Forest Green on the trucks that rocks! :metal:

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Down 2% in April. 

Usually you have trucks lined up to the freeway to come in for pickup and drop off and the yard is stacked 6 to 8 high everywhere, but the no lines and huge open spaces are a surprise to see.

When did the quad, rear side exit exhaust first appear at Pontiac?  Did GTO ever have it, or was it exclusively a 1970's Firebird thing?  I am thinking I've seen it on GTO before, cannot confirm 100% if it was factory.