Random Thoughts Thread

On 5/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, dfelt said:

To date China has set the record for the fastest extremely large mass industrial site being constructed. Now China is breaking the records again with what is considered an overdrive of building. January they broke ground, end of may Tesla is expected to have Phase 1 of the building done.

They must be working 24/7 on that!!!!!

• Like 1

I took a tour of the Arizona Tallesin West some years ago and a few of his houses in Oak Park, Il. Still need to see Fallingwater, and another one near here.   The horrific climate of Arizona is hard on buildings (TW has had a restoration or two). 

I like the lines and use of red in his houses, the wood and stone, along w the glass work. A lot of his custom designed furniture looks very uncomfortable and he designed doorways for short people.

In So Cal,  I love the mid-century Neutra, Eichler and A. Quincy Jones designed-homes..toured a few in Palm Springs a few years ago.  

Speaking of wood and stone and color in houses, went to this one open house today, was a spacious 70s ranch with a 2 car garage and detached 3 car garage and RV garage. Dark stone and dk brown trim outside, some interesting finishes inside but hideously remodeled bathrooms (weird ‘rustic’) and a dark, dour gray kitchen w black cabinets. 

Another Cape Cod style house right on the lake was charming on the outside, but so dull and sterile inside—-all white w light gray tile and painted white stone around the fireplace...

Another place right on the lake that I liked had a 4 car garage but was  1300 sq ft w 2 bedrooms.  But it had a boat house and a bit of beach. 

• Like 1

Nah, just for fun...though I am thinking of buying a lake house a few years down the road.   I would like a single story house w/ more garage space in the future,, either on Lake Erie or close by. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

You house shopping, Robert? If so- happy hunting!
- - - - - 

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.54.13 PM.png

Looks like the type of truck used by the steel mills or steel suppliers.

30 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of the VW Typ 2 half cab trucks used for lumber or pipe hauling. 

Mcf5zoJiudyb1eKIUqismViFaEPotnOhX-ven5yMU5Q.jpg

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

You house shopping, Robert? If so- happy hunting!
- - - - - 

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.54.13 PM.png

Interesting the comparison of these two half cab trucks. I like Fords window layout better for safer visibility.

Confirmation from the photographer- the Ford was a local lumber delivery truck. Pretty cool in a 'blunt instrument' sort of way.

If you note the VW was a production pickup but it's cut left of center, whereas the Ford was built 'cut' right of center- a LOT more load area on the Ford, aside from the wider width overall. VW added a cheapie extra 'windshield' to take up the width, instead of a new piece of (flat) glass. The Ford is on a 1-ton chassis and also has a 'pickup bed' below deck. The VW is very light duty- should probably stick to hay bales rather than steel. 

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The Ford truck is neat, never seen a pic of one of those...I've seen a few pics of the VW ones around the 'net, here's one hauling pipe and one that is out to pasture.

21bbd86fe626bc656d9ed2a7567f67ac.jpg

9b5c79c724690818e8d75138c7427018--modeling-projects-2.jpg

Perfect for car jousting lol!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I mean, I love regular cab trucks, but...

Those trucks are for the person with the attitude of loving Me, Myself and I! :P 

No We allowed. :lol:

41 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I mean, I love regular cab trucks, but...

If I had any Photoshop skillz I'd love to come up with what a 2019 regular cab pickup would look like in the 1 seater narrow cab form...

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.13.03 PM.png

Lovely auto, Cadillac needs to get back to their roots. I loved reading about this 1950 concept: Cadillac exhibited the luxurious Debutante convertible at the 1950 auto show, which was the first Chicago show since 1940. General Motors stated at the time that the $35,000 Debutante was “the most luxurious car ever built by Cadillac.” The exotic interior was upholstered in leopard skins that covered the floor, seats, and portions of the door panels -all highlighted by 24-karat gold plated instrument panels and fittings.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Robert Hall said:

Was out for a Sunday drive up in Lake County and going to open houses and happened to turn a corner and see this Frank Lloyd Wright beauty...  needs a '50s car in the carport.  The Karl Staley House in N. Madison, Oh

IMG-1667.JPG

IMG-1668.JPG

Trivia: Do you know why there is no garage door?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Trivia: Do you know why there is no garage door?

Not sure...I know Frank Lloyd Wright house designs either usually had carports or no garage at all, neither of which solution makes any sense in cold climates. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Not sure...I know Frank Lloyd Wright house designs either usually had carports or no garage at all, neither of which solution makes any sense in cold climates. 

Frank Lloyd Wright hated clutter.  In his opinion, if you had a garage door, you would be tempted to put stuff other than the car in the garage and then clutter up the place.  If there is no door, you would be more inclined to keep the place neat since people would see it. 

Thus, he only ever put car ports in his designs and not garages. 

The theory extends into his houses which have very little amount of storage for their size.  In rooms like bedrooms, he would put full built-in units for clothing so that people wouldn't use their own furniture and muck up his design. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Frank Lloyd Wright hated clutter.  In his opinion, if you had a garage door, you would be tempted to put stuff other than the car in the garage and then clutter up the place.  If there is no door, you would be more inclined to keep the place neat since people would see it. 

Thus, he only ever put car ports in his designs and not garages. 

The theory extends into his houses which have very little amount of storage for their size.  In rooms like bedrooms, he would put full built-in units for clothing so that people wouldn't use their own furniture and muck up his design. 

Interesting...definitely an approach that wouldn't work today.   I loathe carports.  Had them in Arizona (front and back), no protection from dust, birds or cats and limited protection from the weather.    I do like the idea of built-in closets and shelving/drawers, though. 

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...definitely an approach that wouldn't work today.   I loathe carports.  Had them in Arizona (front and back), no protection from dust, birds or cats and limited protection from the weather.    I do like the idea of built-in closets and shelving/drawers, though. 

Not to mention those deadly critter in Arizona. I would rather have a garage, but big one on my rambler. :P 

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not to mention those deadly critter in Arizona. I would rather have a garage, but big one on my rambler. :P 

I went to an open house over the weekend for a house--one story with finished basement that had an oversized attached two car garage and a detached 3 car garage w/ an  RV carport beside it.. pretty nice.  Had some hideous bathrooms, though.  Beautiful wooded lot.. 

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/madison/2431-forest-glen-rd-madison-oh-44057--2045441015

I also looked at this place...a lot smaller, but with a four car garage and boathouse and right on Lake Erie..

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/madison/7543-lakeshore-blvd-madison-oh-44057--2045445232

Not looking to move anytime soon, but  I'd like something like one of these w/ one story, more garage space and on the lake or close by in my next house...

Edited by Robert Hall

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I went to an open house over the weekend for a house--one story with finished basement that had an oversized attached two car garage and a detached 3 car garage w/ an  RV carport beside it.. pretty nice.  Had some hideous bathrooms, though.  Beautiful wooded lot.. 

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/madison/2431-forest-glen-rd-madison-oh-44057--2045441015

I also looked at this place...a lot smaller, but with a four car garage and boathouse and right on Lake Erie..

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/madison/7543-lakeshore-blvd-madison-oh-44057--2045445232

Not looking to move anytime soon, but  I'd like something like one of these w/ one story, more garage space and on the lake or close by in my next house...

WOW, Lot's of potential, but they both need a remodel IMHO.

I do like the rambler space and all the garage space. Being on the lake would be cool. I could fish all the time.

I noticed, are most of the home there electric heat? Must have some power bills during the winter and summer for heating and cooling. Wonder how hard it would be to get gas at the home?

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

WOW, Lot's of potential, but they both need a remodel IMHO.

I do like the rambler space and all the garage space. Being on the lake would be cool. I could fish all the time.

I noticed, are most of the home there electric heat? Must have some power bills during the winter and summer for heating and cooling. Wonder how hard it would be to get gas at the home?

Some are electric, some are gas.  have gas heat in my current house.  I know with the air conditioning my summer bills are only about 1/3 what they were in Arizona. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Bulletin for those hungry for muddy fun with a stiff upper lip:  the 2020 Cadillac XT4 adds an OFF-ROAD mode to its AWD range selections.  Yee-haw, do you have any Grey Poupon?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Random thought:  sun dried tomato vinaigrette dressing is downright delicious.

How? Tomatoes make me ill. I have to disagree with that above statement. Sorry.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

How? Tomatoes make me ill. I have to disagree with that above statement. Sorry.

Okay.  Everyone has something that doesn't resonate with them.  In our house, most everything was topped with tomato sauce.  I'm guessing that when you get pasta you probably order it with another type of sauce, such as pesto, mushroom/garlic, clam, etc.  I tend to get sick if I eat anything with curry, for example.

I brought this up because Wishbone made this dressing in the '90s and I'd buy it regularly.  Then, it started disappearing from the shelves but they'd still feature raspberry vinaigrette.  Why?  That doesn't sound appetizing.  At any rate, I was buying cases of the sun dried tomato vinaigrette toward the end.

Twenty years later, Kraft is making it.  I never saw it at my regular supermarkets.  I just found it at a new supermarket.  Score. This market will therefore become a regular shopping stop.

• Like 2

There was a Parmesan Caesar  dressing that I think Newman's Own made that was fantastic, but I only ever found it twice.  Lately we've been getting these little seasoning packages that you mix in with the salad, some olive oil, and feta, and they're great too. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There was a Parmesan Caesar  dressing that I think Newman's Own made that was fantastic, but I only ever found it twice.  Lately we've been getting these little seasoning packages that you mix in with the salad, some olive oil, and feta, and they're great too. 

Newman's Own is awesome, very popular around here. Wife loves Raspberry Vinaigrette. Family eats it all the time.

• Agree 1

I went into a store chain that features odd batches and stumbled onto some Greek cucumber dill dressing.  I bought a bottle. Unbelievable stuff.  I then wanted more of it the next time I went in.  They told me they only get it in from time to time.  The next time I see it in stock I will have to buy at least half a dozen bottles.  It was priced at about $ 1.50 per bottle.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I went into a store chain that features odd batches and stumbled onto some Greek cucumber dill dressing.  I bought a bottle. Unbelievable stuff.  I then wanted more of it the next time I went in.  They told me they only get it in from time to time.  The next time I see it in stock I will have to buy at least half a dozen bottles.  It was priced at about $ 1.50 per bottle.

Tzatziki?

But you said dressing.  I guess tzatziki could be made to be less thick and more liquidy to be a dressing. 

Tzatziki is a dip. Its also the  "sauce" that is in a gyro or souvlaki pita.  Or "on the side" when ordering souvlaki on a stick.  All kinds of veggies taste good with tzatziki as well as all kinds of meats (except beef) and fish and seafood. 

Unless of course its not tzatziki what you are referring to. But the only thing that I could think of that has cucumber and dill as a dressing or dip is tzatziki. 

And I wouldnt think that tzatziki would be that exotic.  Even Lebanese cuisine has a version of this. Granted, maybe there might not be a big population of Lebanese people but Greeks are everywhere in North America now-a-days.  Not as big of a population as the Eye-talians. But still...I would think that tzatziki would be more popular than that. No matter where we are in North America. Or maybe its because Greek cuisine has had a big influence in Montreal and Toronto...and Boston and NYC, that I take it for granted...that maybe other parts of North America may not be so into Greek cuisine.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Save ya some time, you can get it two ways, thick or thin. Here are two recipes that have been very good for my family and is cheap but very fresh.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162830/easy-greek-yogurt-cucumber-sauce/

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cucumber-dill-dressing-301430#activity-feed

Enjoy my friend! :P 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Save ya some time, you can get it two ways, thick or thin. Here are two recipes that have been very good for my family and is cheap but very fresh.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162830/easy-greek-yogurt-cucumber-sauce/

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cucumber-dill-dressing-301430#activity-feed

Enjoy my friend! :P 

YUCK!!!

NEVER WITH SOUR CREAM AND CERTAINLY NEVER WITH VINEGAR!!!    Yogurt...always with and only with yogurt...thick yogurt. Strained yogurt.  Never with vinegar. Too much sourness...  Lemon juice ONLY.   Lemon juice also gives you that "refreshing"  taste...  

But the first one says add some feta cheese....interesting... 🤔

The second one...mayonnaise???    WTF???!!!

But if you like it like that...you like it like that.   Im Greek so...Ill be a purist about it...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

@oldshurst442  I've had Greek food in Greece, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver, and in each corner of the U.S. plus in the middle.  The tzatziki sauce that comes with pita or to slather on your meat is not at all like dressing.  It has a thicker consistency.  It's a sauce and it's good.

@balthazar  Beautiful location for that commencement.  Is that the Delaware Water Gap or somewhere else?

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

YUCK!!!

NEVER WITH SOUR CREAM AND CERTAINLY NEVER WITH VINEGAR!!!    Yogurt...always with and only with yogurt...thick yogurt. Strained yogurt.  Never with vinegar. Too much sourness...  Lemon juice ONLY.   Lemon juice also gives you that "refreshing"  taste...  

But the first one says add some feta cheese....interesting... 🤔

The second one...mayonnaise???    WTF???!!!

But if you like it like that...you like it like that.   Im Greek so...Ill be a purist about it...

Wife has great pallet and while I love all things pure, I also know that she starts off with a recipe and tweaks to taste to ensure delight of the taste buds. I have never tasted Vinegar in the dressing, but it still is yummy on a fresh salad.

Sour Cream I love so in everything is fine with me. I do know that the local Greek Yogurt place she has picked up plain from them and made it with that and it is yummy.

I will say I also love all things cheese and the Feta Cheese in it is AWESOME! :P 

Just like Greek Fries here that are covered in Feta Cheese. :P YUMMY! 

See the source image

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Wife has great pallet and while I love all things pure, I also know that she starts off with a recipe and tweaks to taste to ensure delight of the taste buds. I have never tasted Vinegar in the dressing, but it still is yummy on a fresh salad.

Sour Cream I love so in everything is fine with me. I do know that the local Greek Yogurt place she has picked up plain from them and made it with that and it is yummy.

I will say I also love all things cheese and the Feta Cheese in it is AWESOME! :P 

Just like Greek Fries here that are covered in Feta Cheese. :P YUMMY! 

See the source image

Those are not so much as Greek fries as they are  cultural appropriated Greek oriented American fast junk food...(I aint sayin' they are not delicious, could very well be, I dont doubt it!) 

These are Greek potatoes...

Image result for greek oven potatoes

Just sayin'...   :)     

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1