Random Thoughts Thread

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

3 front doors ~ 

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.04.35 AM.png

Three units?

-------

My laptop docking station died  :cry: , so now I'm down to a single laptop screen instead of my dual 23" setup and no curved keyboard until tomorrow.  I should be able to call in sick for this!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:😢

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Three units?

-------

My laptop docking station died  :cry: , so now I'm down to a single laptop screen instead of my dual 23" setup and no curved keyboard until tomorrow.  I should be able to call in sick for this!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:😢

🤗 OUCH That sucks, yup not having monitors or natural keyboard should force a sick day.

my little pony hug GIF

You know what, Balthy brings up a subject I was coincidentally thinking abote just the other day.  So many old houses locally have more than one front door.  I've been meaning to google... why?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You know what, Balthy brings up a subject I was coincidentally thinking about just the other day.  So many old houses locally have more than one front door.  I've been meaning to google... why?

Early version of Town homes or when large families still lived together but only divided by a wall? 🤷‍♂️

One house I’ve researched for one reason or another was about 1675 SF but had 6 exterior doors (built in 1889). It may have to do with a combo of things: security was a minor concern way back and hallways seemed to be considered wasted space. One family member had a house built at least as early as 1812 and it had bedrooms that opened into other bedrooms rather than any hall (which there wasn’t any).

• Thanks 1

Maybe a triplex?  Or converted into one after it was built.

I've definitely seen strange, non-standard configurations in old houses....looked at a couple houses from the 50s that were about 2000 sq ft and only had one exterior door--a front door, and no door accessing the backyard...and another that had a door accessing the backyard, but was in the garage.     

39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

. One family member had a house built at least as early as 1812 and it had bedrooms that opened into other bedrooms rather than any hall (which there wasn’t any).

My family's 1859 farmhouse is sort of like that..big square living room and dining room on the first floor, two bedrooms on the 2nd floor with the stairs between them and no hallway.  The only hallway is on the first floor in part of the house that was clearly an addition at some point in the past (where the kitchen, bathroom and a 3rd bedroom are).     Been in the family 51 years now..

Using one of the car search sites, there are very few extended cab Colorados, Canyons and Rangers within a reasonable distance from me.  I am on vacation this week and feeling itchy, so now I'm like... blah

I think I know why the Ford Ranger is selling at Nissan Frontier levels or below... the model mix is too darn high in price for what is on the ground.  They're mostly all Super Crews, loaded to the hilt.  A Super Cab STX 4X4 with FX4 or even just the locking diff would suffice, but noooo...  and a Colorado Z71 extended cab should be discounted right now, but crew cabs are pretty much all that is left on the lots.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I think I know why the Ford Ranger is selling at Nissan Frontier levels or below... the model mix is too darn high in price for what is on the ground. 

There's also that Nissan Frontier level interior..... 

• Haha 1

Well there is no midsize truck that has a truly luxurious interior, even the Canyon Denali is a joke for the price.  That doesn't bother me too much, as long as it is durable and functional.  I put up with a lot of BS on here for defending my 2004 and 2010 Colorado interiors, which I found to be functional and durable, desirable traits in a truck interior.

As far as truck interiors on the whole, I think the Ram has the nicest, even in Tradesman trim.  I absolutely love the Light Mountain Brown cloth interior on the Ram.

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I absolutely love the Light Mountain Brown cloth interior on the Ram.

That is to cover up the chew stains. ;) 

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well there is no midsize truck that has a truly luxurious interior, even the Canyon Denali is a joke for the price.  That doesn't bother me too much, as long as it is durable and functional.  I put up with a lot of BS on here for defending my 2004 and 2010 Colorado interiors, which I found to be functional and durable, desirable traits in a truck interior.

As far as truck interiors on the whole, I think the Ram has the nicest, even in Tradesman trim.  I absolutely love the Light Mountain Brown cloth interior on the Ram.

I think GM has the nicest of the mid-size truck interiors, but yes, what they charge for a Denali trim is a joke.   Ford should be embarrassed about the Focus interior they put in the Ranger.  It is easy to forget that the current Ranger is not a new truck, it's just new to the US.  I'm not expecting a Lincoln in there, but it needed to be more up-to-date than what we got. 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think GM has the nicest of the mid-size truck interiors, but yes, what they charge for a Denali trim is a joke.   Ford should be embarrassed about the Focus interior they put in the Ranger.  It is easy to forget that the current Ranger is not a new truck, it's just new to the US.  I'm not expecting a Lincoln in there, but it needed to be more up-to-date than what we got. 

I was not crazy about the previous Colorado, namely the I5 but I would have the new one (or its Canyon twin) in a heartbeat if I were in the market for one. I got a lot of behind the wheel time in them last year when I was working part time at a nearby Chevy dealership. Drove the bass four banger, the V-6 (my personal preference), and the diesel (surprisingly spry but just not a diesel fan). They all share good traits, like a great ride and common sense and well laid out controls. I don’t get the criticisms about the look personally. It’s a truck, not a luxury car. As long as it’s put together well, that’s more important than the look and “soft touch” materials. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If so.... ew....:yuck:

Yes chewing tobacco, the most disgusting use of a useless product. Hell, I’m personally glad that I never even smoked a cigarette, especially during my first 35 years in the biggest tobacco producing state in the country (NC). 

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed modded away stuff.
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Yes ccap, I knew what dfelt meant by the chew stain remark, was trying to make him dig himself a deeper hole by playing dumb and asking him to remark further. 

“Playing”?😆

And why would you think he was referencing you with that remark? He was talking about the RAM and the old notion of rednecks and their “chew”. Do you own a RAM? If not, then it is pretty clear he was talking about you personally.  It was merely a funny comment. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

American Supercar ~

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.34.12 PM.png

Full-on STUNNER... among so many other Chrysler products over the years... it is painful to think that the glorious (within context) current 300 is in mortal danger.  This whole wide world does not want a crossover.  Variety is the spice of life!

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

merely a funny comment

Oh.  Thanks.

Hydrogen fueling station in Norway biggest market for Hydrogen car sales has been put on hold as a station exploded and they have closed down all other stations till they understand what caused the explosion.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/12/norway-hydrogen-station-explodes-toyota-hyundai-halt-sales/

Somehow I think I take my electric over Hydrogen since it takes more energy to produce hydrogen than electricity.

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

American Supercar ~

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.34.12 PM.png

Starships were meant to fly!

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Hydrogen fueling station in Norway biggest market for Hydrogen car sales has been put on hold as a station exploded and they have closed down all other stations till they understand what caused the explosion.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/12/norway-hydrogen-station-explodes-toyota-hyundai-halt-sales/

Somehow I think I take my electric over Hydrogen since it takes more energy to produce hydrogen than electricity.

That is no longer true ever since scientists have discovered bacteria that burp hydrogen

• Agree 2

Seems GM is considering bringing back the Hummer name as a possible EV.

I really hope it is a option package for GMC, no need for another name plate in the GM stable.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/17/electric-hummer-gm/

https://www.autonews.com/future-product/gm-ponders-electric-hummer

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems GM is considering bringing back the Hummer name as a possible EV.

I really hope it is a option package for GMC, no need for another name plate in the GM stable.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/17/electric-hummer-gm/

https://www.autonews.com/future-product/gm-ponders-electric-hummer

I didn't post this story because it's not gonna happen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Do you own a RAM? If not, then it is pretty clear he was talking about you personally.  It was merely a funny comment.

You mean to say if a comment wasn't quoting or directly at somebody then it was merely a comment? 

Take note of your own comment. 

You take things people say like they're directed at you. You just assume they're directly at you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That is no longer true ever since scientists have discovered bacteria that burp hydrogen

Thank you for posting that, very cool technology. I wonder if the hydrogen station was once based on this new tech you posted above or older energy use heavy tech.

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You mean to say if a comment wasn't quoting or directly at somebody then it was merely a comment? 

Take note of your own comment. 

You take things people say like they're directed at you. You just assume they're directly at you. 

Oh good grief. Get over yourself. I’ve never not once said that I haven’t misconstrued a post from time to time but there are other posts that are quite obvious as to their intent like the severe misquote of my post yesterday to suit someone’s trolling agenda. To me, that is a crossing a certain line. You’re as guilty of it as I am yet you tip toe around your own role in it (like the screenshot I posted of your Trump/me insult). You also have a context of conversation issue but I’m not going to dwell on it. I laugh at it quite honestly and I sure as $h! don’t owe you any further explanation for a behavior that you, yourself, have also taken part in. 

50 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I didn't post this story because it's not gonna happen. 

Yeah, just bury the Hummer name entirely of you ask me. There are many good ways to implemented the use of EVs but stamping the Hummer name on it isn’t one of them. 

Edited by surreal1272

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Trump/Surreal comment was funny. It was a double whammy that I thought everybody else would enjoy. I guess I should have thought about your feelings as well. 

"... Not going to dwell on it."

*Brings it up again*

“Was funny” to you and you alone. You were trolling and honestly you aren’t fooling anyone given the things you have said to me in the past that were definitely not humorous in nature. It has jack to with feelings. It has everything to do with showing a little common decency but the concept appears to be lost on you.

We can just agree to disagree here and leave it at that. I’m getting in my pool for a while and doing my own physical therapy. Have a good day (seriously). 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

Not everything is trolling. Joking around shouldn't be considered trolling but I'm no internet king and maybe it is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It obviously has something to do with feelings. It upset you. I'm sorry I said something to upset you. I'll try and be more considerate of your feelings in the future. 

(Makes attempt at an apology but throws in an “internet king” jab)

This is why I’m trying to leave it be but when you say childish nonsense like that, it at least merits a follow up response. The response is “this is why I never believe a word you say”. Fin’

Now that my pool Ph is right, I can actually get in the pool. Enjoy your day everyone. 

17 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Now that my pool Ph is right, I can actually get in the pool. Enjoy your day everyone. 

Enjoy some pool time for me, love soaking, always loosens up the body good! :D 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Enjoy some pool time for me, love soaking, always loosens up the body good! :D 

If there is one good thing about living in the convection oven known as the Arizona desert is that the pool temp is at a perfect 84 degrees. Makes the therapy that much more enjoyable. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

So my son is reading C&G over my shoulder and asked me what the green numbers meant//

Me: It means that that posted stuff that people like

Kid: Then why is yours so low? I guess no one likes you....

Gee thanks kid....

:roflmao: Great Kid! Kids seem to naturally pick up on a persons reputation. :P

• Haha 1

In today's world...

Where producing horsepower is not a problem anymore.   I mean, our automotive engineers have it all figured out and they have a formula and technique to get any horsepower they want out of any configuration and cylinder count that is wanted and needed.

So...knowing that our roads are congested, knowing that our roads are crumbling and not safe to drive fast on, knowing that law enforcement is ever so strict in enforcing our very conservative speed limits on our roads and they do this because our populations are growing ever so fast so it does become a very dangerous action if we do speed over the speed limit.

Is it really all that important to have  high horsepower  appliances anymore?   Its great on our sports cars...but even them, its for bragging rights because all that power will  probably never be used on public roads safely...

If the answer is no.

Then what horsepower number for our appliance vehicles is appropriate for our roads?

Just a question. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1