Random Thoughts Thread

@balthazar roflmao, just gassed up the SS and a lady in a BMW with NJ plates pulled up, window down and was just sitting. She finally asked me when would the attendant come fuel her up. Told her washington state is a self serve state, have to pump gas herself. The look on her face was priceless.

I helped her out and chatted with her for a few min, nice lady just transferred out here for a tech job, first time ever living out of NJ.

She told me that she loves her state, but is surprised at the cost differences and everything seems to be self service.

I told her she will need to experience one of the Amazon grocery stores where you use a smartphone app and no one checks you out.

Just make your selections and walk out the door. She did not believe me till I pointed her at it on her phone.

She has that NJ twang so it will be interesting to see how she handles the rubber liberal west coast.

End result, nice lady, but the fueling thing made me laugh based on out conversation about fueling. 

• Agree 1

She has that NJ twang so it will be interesting to see how she handles the rubber liberal west coast.

She won't have aaaaaaany problem.

Must've had her car shipped- no way she drove from NJ to WA without refueling in all the self-service states between here & there.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

She won't have aaaaaaany problem.

Must've had her car shipped- no way she drove from NJ to WA without refueling in all the self-service states between here & there.

Yup, that is what I thought too. She did not seem to be the drive type of person.

Talk about a perfect showing of the 3 generations of flat panel TVs here at the gym.

The thickness change is just crazy.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Just read earlier that the Cadillac CT5 price will start at $37,890. That’s cheaper than the base ATS and probably means that the CT4 will be just north of $30K if I had to guess. 

I think due to the well-known fact it's replacement is coming, Cadillac jacked the price for '19. It was $35,500 in 2018.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Just read earlier that the Cadillac CT5 price will start at $37,890. That’s cheaper than the base ATS and probably means that the CT4 will be just north of $30K if I had to guess. 

Wasn't that the coupe that was also a couple grand above the sedan? 

It's actually good to see them embracing the tweener thing again. I think that will help them out some. 

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

I think due to the well-known fact it's replacement is coming, Cadillac jacked the price for '19. It was $35,500 in 2018.

Yeah well I never said Cadillac was being logical about the ATS pricing lol. Still, $38K is a decent price for the CT5 regardless of its polarizing looks. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Wasn't that the coupe that was also a couple grand above the sedan? 

It's actually good to see them embracing the tweener thing again. I think that will help them out some. 

The base price of the 2018 coupe was just north of $38K. 

Quirky sidenote: I’m one of the few people that actually like the last gen CTS coupe, fat ass and all. They should have continued it with the current CTS but alas, offering variety within each model seems to be a thing of the past these days. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Yeah well I never said Cadillac was being logical about the ATS pricing lol. Still, $38K is a decent price for the CT5 regardless of its polarizing looks. 

The base price of the 2018 coupe was just north of $38K. 

Quirky sidenote: I’m one of the few people that actually like the last gen CTS coupe, fat ass and all. They should have continued it with the current CTS but alas, offering variety within each model seems to be a thing of the past these days. 

There are few coupe buyers at all these days, hence the lack of variety.

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

One of the ugliest cars produced in the last 20 years. 

It's a thing of the past with Cadillac, not MB, BMW. or Audi. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Too bad that the Germans refuse to ditch those coupe-style crossovers.  Those completely suck.

• Agree 1

Seems the Economy is going in the down direction. Interesting Read on some metrics that Warren Buffett follows. https://fortune.com/2019/07/17/warren-buffett-cap-ratio-tmc-gdp/

The last 3 recessions and the most current depression we lived through all began with bloated auto inventories and reduced RV shipments. Seems the RV industry has seen a 22% reduction in shipments this year and double digit increase in costs due to the various parts that are built in China.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/trumps-tariffs-trip-up-the-all-american-rv-industry/ar-AAEvISd?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting is that for every $20,000 in sales price of an RV, the tariff war has increased costs about $1,000.

Auto inventories are now approaching 1 year on cars, 9 months on CUVs /SUVs and trucks.  

Great auto industry history here: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/categories/32993

Records go back to the 60's

35 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In a 20 year timeframe occupied by cars like the Aztek, Smart, the Juke, and the entire Fiat lineup, I will respectfully disagree with that assessment lol. 

37 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

There are few coupe buyers at all these days, hence the lack of variety.

Oh I’m not disagreeing with that but the lack of variety sucks nonetheless. 

Edited by surreal1272

Very cool read on Formula E racing now in it's 6th season averaging over 400 million viewers and the fact that unlike Formula 1 ICE racing that has limited city appeal, Formula E racing has been invited to numerous lovely cities due to the reduction in noise and emissions pollution.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/16/formula-e-racing-is-shaping-the-future-of-electric-cars/

According to this story, they are now pushing 900Volts that allows rapid minutes recharging and Audi and Porsche have all stated they will move to a new 900V system on their newer EVs. This will make re-charging faster than ICE refill times.

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems the Economy is going in the down direction. Interesting Read on some metrics that Warren Buffett follows. https://fortune.com/2019/07/17/warren-buffett-cap-ratio-tmc-gdp/

The last 3 recessions and the most current depression we lived through all began with bloated auto inventories and reduced RV shipments. Seems the RV industry has seen a 22% reduction in shipments this year and double digit increase in costs due to the various parts that are built in China.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/trumps-tariffs-trip-up-the-all-american-rv-industry/ar-AAEvISd?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting is that for every $20,000 in sales price of an RV, the tariff war has increased costs about $1,000.

Auto inventories are now approaching 1 year on cars, 9 months on CUVs /SUVs and trucks.  

Great auto industry history here: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/categories/32993

Records go back to the 60's

Not sure it is quite there yet, but it is slowing down. My current job had to let a few folks go on certain projects.

Local fast food joints have taken their hiring signs down.

My second job will not be hiring for Christmas this year........

• Thanks 1

58,000 Ford Focus being recalled for gas tank issue that could cause tank deforming and will be addressed with a software update. Very weird.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/10/ford-recall-focus-tank-issues/

12 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Not sure it is quite there yet, but it is slowing down. My current job had to let a few folks go on certain projects.

Local fast food joints have taken their hiring signs down.

My second job will not be hiring for Christmas this year........

I have also noticed here in job hot Seattle that hiring has been frozen by lots of places and the amount of off site storage lots for auto's has exploded. So many all over. Definitely time to be cautious about taking on debt.

Good read on the new Audi eTron and how it's first full month on sale nabed 856 units sold compared to Tesla 1,000 Tesla X units sold.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/18/audi-shows-tesla-isnt-the-only-automaker-that-can-build-an-electric-vehicle/

Jaguar iPace sold 226 last month in comparison.

Audi's seems to be the most roomy and has a 4000lb towing capacity. Very good review on an Electric CUV AWD.

Interesting note is that Audi eTron purchase gains you access to the Electrify America re-charge network that VW is building due to Diesel gate and still Audi also announced that they will have online XFC or extreme fast chargers that the public can use with a credit card, debit card or EA member card with 300 Highway XFC charge locations and 650 metro XFC charge locations.

Seems billions being spent on installing fast or extreme fast chargers will reshape the charging landscape. This will change much faster how folks use and get around as EVs are pushed out.

Interesting note is that Tesla is going to push out their V3 charger network this fall and VW has stated that all new EV models coming out will move from 150kWh charging, aka the eTron to a 350kWh charging which means the GT car coming will charge the same size battery pack 100% in 15 min versus eTrons 30 min full recharge time.

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

In a 20 year timeframe occupied by cars like the Aztek, Smart, the Juke, and the entire Fiat lineup, I will respectfully disagree with that assessment lol.

I feel like those all actually made an effort to look like something unique, even if everything underneath is garbage. 

The CTS Coupe just looks so unbelievably half-assed to me... 

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very cool read on Formula E racing now in it's 6th season averaging over 400 million viewers and the fact that unlike Formula 1 ICE racing that has limited city appeal, Formula E racing has been invited to numerous lovely cities due to the reduction in noise and emissions pollution.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/16/formula-e-racing-is-shaping-the-future-of-electric-cars/

According to this story, they are now pushing 900Volts that allows rapid minutes recharging and Audi and Porsche have all stated they will move to a new 900V system on their newer EVs. This will make re-charging faster than ICE refill times.

It's "fairly entertaining" to watch. I'd give it a 7/10. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I feel like those all actually made an effort to look like something unique, even if everything underneath is garbage. 

I don't know about 'half-assed', but it has a huge ass...  I like the look, it doesn't follow the usual 2dr coupe that looks like a 4dr w/ two longer doors formula.

51RMM3p9tkL._SX425_.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I don't know about 'half-assed', but it has a huge ass...  I like the look, it doesn't follow the usual 2dr coupe that looks like a 4dr w/ two longer doors formula.

51RMM3p9tkL._SX425_.jpg

The problem is it doesn't follow the front 3/4 of the car either. They cut a foot off the car and pinched everything together and called it a night on day 1 of designing a coupe. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The problem is it doesn't follow the front 3/4 of the car either. They cut a foot off the car and pinched everything together and called it a night on day 1 of designing a coupe. 

That's.... not how it happened at all.  There was an internal design competition going on for the sedan.  One guy/gal sketched up a coupe on a whim. Ed Welburn saw the sketch and said to the artist to see him about it later.  Eventually it was clay modeled (or whatever the current technology is today) and sent up for approval. It wasn't even in the plans to make a coupe at first.

Welburn himself told me this story. 

The net result is a polarizing one... people either love the coupe (like me) or hate it (like you), but it's much better to have a polarizing reaction than a "meh" one which is the reception the ATS Coupe got. 

• Agree 4

@balthazar What do you think of the styling of the new Bentley Concept EXP 100 GT?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/10/bentley-exp-100-gt-electric-autonomous-concept-car-revealed/#slide-2152025

I have to say I really like this car.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

LOL well no sh!t it wasn't a 1 day design.. I thought the sarcasm would have gotten through when I said I have an irrational hatred for the ugly bucket of turds. 

I LOVE the CTS Coupe, one of the best of their Science and Arts style unlike today's design.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

My favorite CTS bodystyle may be the wagon... love those taillights... I think the 2nd gen CTS was the best overall for styling inside and out, I esp. prefer the 2nd gen front end to the 1st and 3rd gen models.  

1523423519dde86353183C1F3-5BC6-4E59-8EDF-CDC67E4C7E00-e1523575401150-940x621.jpeg

2014_cadillac_cts-v_wagon_1529964166d2f5cf7dDSCN4404-620x465.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

It wasn't a price increase. The coupe was always priced above the sedan. 2018 coupe started at $38,500. 

I’m referring to the fact that the ATS base price went up in 2019 (by $3K). 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

My favorite CTS bodystyle may be the wagon... love those taillights... I think the 2nd gen CTS was the best overall for styling inside and out, I esp. prefer the 2nd gen front end to the 1st and 3rd gen models.  

1523423519dde86353183C1F3-5BC6-4E59-8EDF-CDC67E4C7E00-e1523575401150-940x621.jpeg

2014_cadillac_cts-v_wagon_1529964166d2f5cf7dDSCN4404-620x465.jpg

Yes to this (but I am little Wagon biased)! There is a pearl white 3.6L for sale near me and it’s killing me that I can’t pull the trigger on it right now (still on medical leave for my shoulder). The V Wagon is a definite bucket list car for me. Maybe one day lol. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's.... not how it happened at all.  There was an internal design competition going on for the sedan.  One guy/gal sketched up a coupe on a whim. Ed Welburn saw the sketch and said to the artist to see him about it later.  Eventually it was clay modeled (or whatever the current technology is today) and sent up for approval. It wasn't even in the plans to make a coupe at first.

Welburn himself told me this story. 

The net result is a polarizing one... people either love the coupe (like me) or hate it (like you), but it's much better to have a polarizing reaction than a "meh" one which is the reception the ATS Coupe got. 

Exactly! I don’t care if ccap doesn’t like it or if anyone else does for that matter. It looked like nothing else (as opposed to the boringness of the Germans) which was a good thing IMO. It wasn’t meant to appeal to everyone and I’m fine with it. 

45 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Coupe was all of 2.5 inches shorter than the sedan. If you’re going to hate something with so much pointless vigor, at least get your facts right lol. At least it looks better than 3/4ths of the CUVs out there. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Again I’m going to politely disagree with your wrong opinion. 

• Agree 2

Tariff war and global auto slow down is having it's first affect on taking out an Electric auto startup that started by buying a battery company startup and was known as SF Motors, then Seres Motors. They announced in April of this year production to start on an SF5 for the Chinese and US market. The old Hummer factory was purchased in South Bend Indiana is now mothballed again. Most of the staff in California has been laid off as the Chinese owned EV auto company tries to find a financial way to survive long term. They say this is a downsizing to survive, but it has gutted the bulk of the company and I do not see it coming back IMHO. Cool skateboard concept that was to underpin a 5 and 7 person CUV.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124066_seres-ev-startup-postpones-us-launch-amid-downsizing

SF Motors SF5 and SF7

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I’m referring to the fact that the ATS base price went up in 2019 (by $3K).

That's because they axed the sedan. The coupe price stayed the same(basically).

2018 ATS Sedan: $35,500

2018 ATS Coupe: $38,500

2019 ATS Coupe: $39,000

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You don't say.....

IT. LOOKS. LIKE. TRASH. 

I think anybody who likes it has an irrational love for it as a GM or Caddy fanboy because I genuinely do not see what about that rear 1/4 of car looks remotely attractive. 

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

At least it looks better than 3/4ths of the CUVs out there. 

The worst part, it I disagree with that. I just cannot stand the rear of that car so much.. lol 

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Again I’m going to politely disagree with your wrong opinion. 

I can respect your wrong opinion about my right opinion. 🤣

Anyone want to bid on one of 36 forgotten corvettes going up for auction?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29038/historic-collection-of-36-forgotten-chevrolet-corvettes-will-be-raffled-off-for-charity

Very cool! :metal: 

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

IT. LOOKS. LIKE. TRASH. 

I think anybody who likes it has an irrational love for it as a GM or Caddy fanboy because I genuinely do not see what about that rear 1/4 of car looks remotely attractive. 

See this shows your own Fanboi love of what you think are better auto's. The CTS Coupe stands apart from the rest of the Cadillac family unlike the Germans Generic all look the same. From top to bottom, from coupe to sedan, they just all blend in together.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Tariff war and global auto slow down is having it's first affect on taking out an Electric auto startup that started by buying a battery company startup and was known as SF Motors, then Seres Motors. They announced in April of this year production to start on an SF5 for the Chinese and US market. The old Hummer factory was purchased in South Bend Indiana is now mothballed again. Most of the staff in California has been laid off as the Chinese owned EV auto company tries to find a financial way to survive long term. They say this is a downsizing to survive, but it has gutted the bulk of the company and I do not see it coming back IMHO. Cool skateboard concept that was to underpin a 5 and 7 person CUV.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124066_seres-ev-startup-postpones-us-launch-amid-downsizing

SF Motors SF5 and SF7

The layoffs are sad.  I wonder who will buy SF motors and integrate them into their products in the near future.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

The layoffs are sad.  I wonder who will buy SF motors and integrate them into their products in the near future.

Yes it will be interesting to see who ends up with their tech. I suspect 1/3 of Chinese auto start ups are under funded and with a global slow down will have many crash to be closed.