Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

How ppl ate on road trips, before the plethora of fast food joints made everyone fat.

Baby boomer use of so much processed foods made America Fat. Fast Foods just allowed other generations to come to become even Fatter. The laziness of Americans to use doordash or any of the other food delivery systems and not learn to cook is destroying America. 

Grow a Garden, learn to cook and then make healthy organic food dishes that can be heated up and eaten but far better for you. Sunday's I cook two large dishes so I have breakfast and lunch covered for the work week.

My Garden

After torrential rains and flooded streets yesterday, today was beautiful...high only 76...went most of the day w/ the A/C off and windows open.   Work was sucktastic (dealing with incompetence of the India and Barbados teams I work with), but a drive out to walk along Lake Erie soothed my weary soul...

Is it just me or is BMW STUPID for charging for Carplay when Kia offers it for free plus Android auto?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29134/bmw-is-charging-owners-an-80-annual-subscription-fee-to-use-apple-carplay

So now you have to pay $80 a year to get access on your POS BMW auto for Carplay and screw you Android users. Seems to me that BMW does not want tech users in their auto's.

IDIOTS! 🙄

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As far as I know, BMW has been charging for it for years and they're still the only ones with the rights to use it wireless-ly.

Almost everybody has CarPlay, not just KIA. 

And everybody else has to use a wire to connect. 

I thought you also could connect via Bluetooth to the built in auto system.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

To the best of my knowledge, that has been a BMW-only thing. 

Thanks, found this story on Android Auto and the wireless feature, but it uses so much power, not worth having it they say. Yet for short trips, still interesting.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/267568-google-rolls-out-wireless-android-auto-but-almost-no-one-can-use-it

Found this with good info also:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-auto-faq,news-20799.html

• Thanks 1

Detroit 3 Truck makers CANNOT do this, Rivian will have a Tank Feature on their Truck and SUV for added Off-road capability.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/24/rivian-electric-pickup-truck-tank-steer-video/

Very Cool :metal:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, regfootball said:

An honest to goodness real legit Cadillac XT6 passed me on the highway today. 

Well, it’s ok but doesn’t ooze luxury. And it’s sort of generic.  

It seems to be a bit taller than other CUV’s

oh they’ll still sell a bunch of them 

I have come across two CT5s and while I still can’t stand the cheap plastic over the back door window, the car does look much better overall in person. 

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Is it just me or is BMW STUPID for charging for Carplay when Kia offers it for free plus Android auto?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29134/bmw-is-charging-owners-an-80-annual-subscription-fee-to-use-apple-carplay

So now you have to pay $80 a year to get access on your POS BMW auto for Carplay and screw you Android users. Seems to me that BMW does not want tech users in their auto's.

IDIOTS! 🙄

What in the actual F? Cheap bastards!

• Agree 1

Just now, riviera74 said:

I agree.  THAT is not an Escalade.  An Escalade has a fundamental presence that most Cadillac CUVs do not have.

Looks like a photoshop rendering...kind of looks like the current Tahoe body with an XT6-ish nose grafted on.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The video was taken down...

That is a bum, very cool seeing the R1T do a 360 in place. Talk about an awesome feature of EV's to have the controllers cause the motors to reverse so you can spin in place. Story says that Rivian has an even better video of real production R1T doing it but is not ready to show it off yet. I hope they release it soon as it would drive excitement for their products.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The video was taken down...

Soooo, Rivian made them take it down as it infringed on their copyrights. At the 2 min mark in the video you see the truck come down this dirt road to a non passable hole in the road and then do a tank 360 turn in place to continue back up the way it came. Very cool and for sure will offer people an easier way to get out of a tight situation. Found this screen grab that someone else had done. Too bad I did not think about it, could have done a screen recording of the video to post then.

R1T-Screen-Shot-2019-07-24-at-2-min.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Rivian… come down this dirt road to a non passable hole in the road and then do a tank 360 turn in place to continue back up the way it came.

Wonder how that would work on asphalt- going to guess not nearly as easily as it looked on loose dirt.
I would guess it'll be used primarily as a 'look it this!' parlor trick rather than in actual need. 

- - - - - 
Not sure what's going on here ~ 

10 Rapid.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wonder how that would work on asphalt- going to guess not nearly as easily as it looked on loose dirt.
I would guess it'll be used primarily as a 'look it this!' parlor trick rather than in actual need. 

- - - - - 

10 Rapid.png

Rivian has said that this works just fine on asphalt, but it does wear down the tires when dry compared to wet or snow.

Situations where tank turning like this is a big benefit, accidents where you need to get out of the blocked traffic and move on elsewhere, any weather related situation where you need to move in an alternative path like fallen trees, I can actually see this being very beneficial depending on where you are and what the conditions are when out and about in a storm.

Very cool, I wonder what they are thinking on that wheel assembly.

19 hours ago, balthazar said:

- - - - - 

10 Rapid.png

Some sort of Quill drive?

What IS it with Tesla owners?
Again I note I regularly see Teslas at the supercharger station at the Panera near my house, at like 10AM- didn't they charge overnight at their own house??
This reminds my of when having a locking gas cap was pretty common, because high prices had some people syphoning gas out of other people's tanks.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 7.36.50 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I was behind a person who was driving 5-10 under the limit on a 2-lane.  Passed him and settled back to the posted limit.  He then proceeds to ride my butt for like 5 miles.  I hate him.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Again I note I regularly see Teslas at the supercharger station at the Panera near my house, at like 10AM- didn't they charge overnight at their own house??

Maybe they live in an apartment or condo.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

This is the world of the electric car owner.  Entitled bitches.

Much like the asshole entitled toxic diesel bitches that think they can block charging spots because they somehow think they are superior.

Like smokers just need to die fast!

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

This reminds my of when having a locking gas cap was pretty common, because high prices had some people syphoning gas out of other people's tanks.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 7.36.50 AM.png

WOW, that is very weird, I will say this is wrong, yet with that said, I have also noticed that in 3rd party apps that list charging spots, some of them have been personal homes and as such, not just Tesla, Leaf and Bolt owners have ended up using a persons home as it was listed under the public charging. This could be a mis-statement as how does a home owner not notice a 12hr sitting of a car plugged into their home.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

how does a home owner not notice a 12hr sitting of a car plugged into their home.

Wow... it's the homeowner's fault?  REALLY?  Like I said, entitled bitches.

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Wow... it's the homeowner's fault?  REALLY?  Like I said, entitled bitches.

Yes, the Home Owner is as much as fault as the person is they are truly stealing his power. Your responsible for your own actions and that includes as a home owner everything that goes on with your property.

If this story is true, the Tesla owner needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The home owner also is responsible for not monitoring and managing their property.

Not about Entitled anything, but adult responsibility for ones actions.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Your responsible for your own actions and that includes as a home owner everything that goes on with your property.

If someone breaks into your house, steals a bunch of valuables, trashes some of the interior, do you expect -as the homeowner- to be charged with breaking & entering, vandalism and larceny???

If I straight up claim that your 75-in flat screen belongs to ocnblu, do you -as the homeowner- expect you’ll have to give it up?

- - - - - 

If a person buys a plug-in car with zero ability to plug it in at home, they’re not very intelligent. And if an online directive tells him an outlet on a private home is ‘public’, he’s far beyond unintelligent.

• Thanks 1

Vigilance is the price of liberty . . . and protecting your property.  I cannot blame the homeowner for this theft (yes that is what happened), but said homeowner needs to keep an eye out for this activity.

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I was behind a person who was driving 5-10 under the limit on a 2-lane.  Passed him and settled back to the posted limit.  He then proceeds to ride my butt for like 5 miles.  I hate him.

I have a question for you: What are your recommendations for the next car or CUV anyone should buy within the next year?  Nothing BOF is the only condition.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

If someone breaks into your house, steals a bunch of valuables, trashes some of the interior, do you expect -as the homeowner- to be charged with breaking & entering, vandalism and larceny???

If I straight up claim that your 75-in flat screen belongs to ocnblu, do you -as the homeowner- expect you’ll have to give it up?

- - - - - 

If a person buys a plug-in car with zero ability to plug it in at home, they’re not very intelligent. And if an online directive tells him an outlet on a private home is ‘public’, he’s far beyond unintelligent.

Your taking this out of context, What you state above is true theft and no the home owner is not responsible for what the criminal did.

Yet, the home owner is responsible for making sure their house is secure and they are not intentionally making it easy to be stolen from.

You would not go off to your job and leave the house doors open, money sitting around allowing anyone to just walk in and take what ever they want.

You know that in this case, the Tesla owner is proven guilty then they are at fault which the image implies, yet with that stated, I also point out that is was plugged in to a 110 outlet on the house for 12HRS parked on the sidewalk. How does a home owner never pay attention to their property and what is going on around their property. That is the fault of the home owner for not being aware sooner.

Would you not notice a white Tesla parked on your property plugged into an outlet on your house for 12hrs?

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How does a home owner never pay attention to their property and what is going on around their property. That is the fault of the home owner for not being aware sooner.

Would you not notice a white Tesla parked on your property plugged into an outlet on your house for 12hrs?

Maybe the homeowner wasn't home. Maybe there were no windows on that side of his house and he was hunkered down in the A/C. Maybe he was ill & in bed. How often do you do a perimeter sweep?

Whether the homeowner was aware it was going on or not (obviously he wasn't for 12 hrs) is immaterial to the theft of power.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frogger said:

Does everyone cut the power to their external electric outlets and shut off their hose bibs from inside the house when they go away for the weekend?

Yes, if I am going away and no one else will be home, then yes, external outlets are turned off and the whole yard and house secured.