Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Disc brakes.  Best thing to happen in cars . . . . possibly ever. 

Meh - early discs were not great, and lagged behind the best drums for many years.
Look at the above pic : non-vented, single-piston - they faded just like mid-pack drums did.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.49.51 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So, the Hyundai Venue, it seems decent for a cheap car laden with features.

My mom is driving me nuts trying to help her choose her next car.

I thought like a year or two your mom got a new car. already the lease is coming up?

Here are some choices:

Cayenne Orange Metallic Bolt

image.png

Cayenne Orange Metallic Sonic Hatchback

image.png

Orange Burst Spark

image.png

Trax has no orange available.

Cayenne Orange Metallic Equinox LS

image.png

Blazer does not have Orange.

That pretty much is all you have in Chevrolet.

6 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Has she considered a Chevy Trax?  If the new Blazer will be in orange, so should the Trax.

I took her to sit in a Trax, she seemed to like it a little bit.  If we go that route, it would need to be a base, FWD version.  They come with alloys, but like zero "cool" colors (black, white, gray, silver... no green, no orange.)  The MSRP also scares her, but with typical heavy GM discounts, the price would be in line with the foreign jobs.  The Spark comes in plenty of "cool" colors, including orange, but she thinks it is too small.

A Bolt is completely out of the question, with its high price and no place to charge it.  Sonic and Spark are decent, but low-riding.  She and her BF both complain about that in the Forte.  Equinox is too big and too expensive.  She loved her 2012 Soul.  The cheapest Soul LX with CVT is over $20k now.  There is nothing cheap anymore.  Her current lease is not up until December of this year.

Edited by ocnblu

Trax was previously available in orange, seen many in orange.

Weird bit of randomness..though I always rail against FWD/transverse 4cyl 'generics', I have to say I do enjoy driving my sister's Trax...for what it is, it does a good job.  Comfortable, enough power to get out of it's own way,  quiet at idle, pretty smooth at highway speeds...easy to park.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Honda Pilot vs. Ford Explorer, MotorTrend Comparison

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-honda-pilot-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

"this is the most disappointing new vehicle I've driven since the Ford Ranger. I can't believe an all-new, from-the-ground-up vehicle could feel so cheap and old. There's not any one thing wrong with the Explorer; it's more like everything is wrong"

"To sum things up, Ford had plenty of time to overtake the top-quality Pilot by building a better Explorer. But as is, it feels only half-finished, with questionable build quality and quality control issues hurting its chances against the SUV stalwart that is the Pilot. The Explorer will need some serious improvements to match the old Honda. But let's not forget, this is the company that was the first to abandon the car in the North American market to focus on SUVs. Even so, the new Explorer is a swing and a miss from Ford, while the Pilot, remains a stand-up double."

What a shame for Ford

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ykX said:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-honda-pilot-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

"this is the most disappointing new vehicle I've driven since the Ford Ranger. I can't believe an all-new, from-the-ground-up vehicle could feel so cheap and old. There's not any one thing wrong with the Explorer; it's more like everything is wrong"

"To sum things up, Ford had plenty of time to overtake the top-quality Pilot by building a better Explorer. But as is, it feels only half-finished, with questionable build quality and quality control issues hurting its chances against the SUV stalwart that is the Pilot. The Explorer will need some serious improvements to match the old Honda. But let's not forget, this is the company that was the first to abandon the car in the North American market to focus on SUVs. Even so, the new Explorer is a swing and a miss from Ford, while the Pilot, remains a stand-up double."

What a shame for Ford

I just read this a few minutes ago and it sounds like a big-ole mess. 

The only thing that seemed off was the Sync 3 comments as I haven't heard a bad thing about it until that review. 

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I just read this a few minutes ago and it sounds like a big-ole mess. 

The only thing that seemed off was the Sync 3 comments as I haven't heard a bad thing about it until that review. 

I sat in a 2020 Explorer at the auto show last weekend.  I like the dark brown paint.  It's a good looking midsize SUV, but the interior looked and felt cheap...  Should have taken pics..the plastic trim on the side of the seat was loose, some of the dash trim was loose.   Knobs on dash felt cheap and like they would break off easily.   As can be seen in the photo in the Motor Trend article linked above, the trim on the driver's door around the door handle was loose with a huge gap.  Nothing about it felt more appealing to me than my 6 yr old Grand Cherokee.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I sat in a 2020 Explorer at the auto show last weekend.  I like the dark brown paint.  It's a good looking midsize SUV, but the interior looked and felt cheap...  Should have taken pics..the plastic trim on the side of the seat was loose, some of the dash trim was loose.   Knobs on dash felt cheap and like they would break off easily. 

I'd give a little break to an auto-show car are they are trailer-ed around from city to city each time having hundreds or thousands of people getting in and out of them each weekend and touching everything they can. 

Buuuut, I haven't heard much good about the vehicle so, regardless, it still doesn't sound that great for the vehicle.

Edited by ccap41

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'd give a little break to an auto-show car are they are trailer-ed around from city to city each time having hundreds or thousands of people getting in and out of them each weekend and touching everything they can. 

Buuuut, I haven't heard much good about the vehicle so, regardless, it still doesn't sound that great for the vehicle.

Agree with you and everyone else, have not heard of good things about the Exploder.

The Seattle auto show does not have auto's that are trucked around the country, they actually come from dealership lots locally and from my understanding all the auto show are done this way and have been for the last 10 years or so. Only thing trucked is the concepts and truly new releases that have not shipped out to the dealerships yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agree with you and everyone else, have not heard of good things about the Exploder.

The Seattle auto show does not have auto's that are trucked around the country, they actually come from dealership lots locally and from my understanding all the auto show are done this way and have been for the last 10 years or so. Only thing trucked is the concepts and truly new releases that have not shipped out to the dealerships yet.

That's a good point. STL is the same way, it's a crappy dealer show. I forgot about that. 

There are probably only a handful that are actually sponsored by the manufacturers themselves. 

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I think it's that way here also, local dealers bringing in inventory.   Cleveland Auto Show is dealer sponsored. Held in a  2,200,000-square-foot exhibition center...

Edited by Robert Hall

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think it's that way here also, local dealers bringing in inventory.   Cleveland Auto Show is dealer sponsored. Held in a  2,200,000-square-foot exhibition center...

I used to go to NYC Auto show which is really big, but last few years I went to Philly auto show which I think also dealer sponsored but decent size and has most of the latest vehicles.  Also, I work much closer to Philly so much easier to leave work earlier and go browse for a few hours while there are very little people around.

This year didn't feel like going though.  I still can go to NYC show in April but probably will not.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

I used to go to NYC Auto show which is really big, but last few years I went to Philly auto show which I think also dealer sponsored but decent size and has most of the latest vehicles.  Also, I work much closer to Philly so much easier to leave work earlier and go browse for a few hours while there are very little people around.

This year didn't feel like going though.  I still can go to NYC show in April but probably will not.

Consider going as Cadillac is supposed to show off their new Cadillac EV. Would be great to have you take pics and post here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ykX said:

What a shame for Ford

The new Explorer interior looks totally half-assed, like they ran out of cash and had to do everything as cheap as they thought they could get away with on the interior.  Looks really bad when you compare it to the Korean three row "twins" interior that came out just before it.

20 minutes ago, frogger said:

The new Explorer interior looks totally half-assed, like they ran out of cash and had to do everything as cheap as they thought they could get away with on the interior.  Looks really bad when you compare it to the Korean three row "twins" interior that came out just before it.

One of the YouTube review guys I like (Savage Geese) said it looks like Ford intentionally built it to be a rental/fleet model.  

<random content>

Still February, but it was 50, sunny and breezy at the lake on Sunday..enjoyed a stroll at one of my favorite parks...had to remind myself that it is still a month until Spring.   Been rainy today, snow on the way...

IMG-3615.jpg

</random content>

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

One of the YouTube review guys I like (Savage Geese) said it looks like Ford intentionally built it to be a rental/fleet model.  

<random content>

Still February, but it was 50, sunny and breezy at the lake on Sunday..enjoyed a stroll at one of my favorite parks...had to remind myself still a month until Spring. 

IMG-3615.jpg

</random content>

Me like Winter, not heat, please stay cold! :P 

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Will probably still sell in decent numbers to Ford loyalists based on name alone despite its issues.  Looks like the suspension is not up to snuff either...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/telluride/2020/2020-ford-explorer-vs-2020-kia-telluride-three-row-suv-comparison/

The Explorer also rode well over broken surfaces, though it lacked composure. "The suspension is quite bouncy, and the cabin movement was quite notable," Cortina said. Its vague steering also felt overboosted, and the cabin of our tester suffered from so much wind noise at highway speeds that Evans thought one of the rear windows wasn't fully closed. When driving through twisty roads, the Explorer flopped around more, and its poor body control made it feel unwieldy through tight roads.

• Agree 1

Interesting the Auto Company DS line is trying to get back into the Luxury Car game with a New DS9 that honestly looks like a warmed over C class from Mercedes Benz. Nothing Special here at all.

Also the PSA America Comeback is now on Ice following the Merger with FCA as they assess best places for which brands and where money is to be spent on supporting various product lines.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/2020-ds-9-french-luxury-sedan-psa-geneva/#slide-2211879

image.png

image.png

9 minutes ago, frogger said:

Will probably still sell in decent numbers to Ford loyalists based on name alone despite its issues.   

The Savage Geese guy basically said the same thing...Ford loyalists will find it an improvement over the previous model and not cross shop...

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

You do know there is still such a thing as horses, right?

Yes, but not in use as daily transport on streets and roads (excluding the Amish). 

• Agree 1

2020 Explorer interior (tho it may well be the top trim) :

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 2.59.00 PM.png

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, but not in use as daily transport on streets and roads (excluding the Amish). 

Correct, but it's near impossible to get a gas pump installed on private residential property, and there's 270 million IC vehicles in the U.S. (vs. only 9 million horses).

• Like 1

Seems Ford has a new Mule hiding under Raptor skin. Thinking is a Bronco Raptor SUV as it is a standard cab with short bed something Ford does not sell in a Raptor.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/ford-bronco-raptor-mule-spied/

Ford seems to be reading a blitz of add on accessories for the Bronco as this is another story covering that and they all seem to point to the same various sources. One should be able to customize to their own desire the Bronco at launch.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/ford-bronco-accessory-launch/

If your really into 1983 Rabbit's, here is a story of a guy who rebuilt his to a tune of $140,000 1983 Rabbit GTI. Guess he really loves his VW.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/1983-vw-rabbit-gti-custom-build-video/

Who knew Ford had a Ranger Ralley you could buy. Now dumping the V8 in favor of a EcoBoost V6, Very interesting ride.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/ford-ranger-rally-raid-truck-ecoboost-v6-revealed/

Seems Ford is moving ahead with bringing back a True Mach 1 Bullitt as the mustang was caught out testing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/ford-mustang-mach-1-spied-bullitt/

Finally a spy caught the dash of the new Bronco, gonna have a big ass screen in the center by the pictures.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/ford-bronco-interior-spy-photos/

Mostly positive review of the CT5 V auto.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/2020-cadillac-ct5-first-drive/

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Correct, but it's near impossible to get a gas pump installed on private residential property, and there's 270 million IC vehicles in the U.S. (vs. only 9 million horses).

Seems plenty of people have gas pumps in the back of the truck bed. So it is very mobile. :P 

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Gas pumps and tanks are messy and have a lot of environmental hazards and regulations involved.  Plus you have the problem of getting the gas delivered.   Though farmers probably have solutions for that issue.  Have to ask my farmer buddy how he does that.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems Ford has a new Mule hiding under Raptor skin. Thinking is a Bronco Raptor SUV as it is a standard cab with short bed something Ford does not sell in a Raptor.

This is really interesting because what i read about that made a Bronco Raptor almost impossible off of what's seen in those spy shots because, the wheels are pushed all the way out on a Raptor which is already considerably wider than a regular F150...which is considerably wider than a Ranger so it just doesn't add up to being able to fit over a Ranger platform.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Finally a spy caught the dash of the new Bronco, gonna have a big ass screen in the center by the pictures.

Those toggle switches above and between the driver/passenger are look awesome. 

Edited by ccap41

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is really interesting because what i read about that made a Bronco Raptor almost impossible off of what's seen in those spy shots because, the wheels are pushed all the way out on a Raptor which is already considerably wider than a regular F150...which is considerably wider than a Ranger so it just doesn't add up to being able to fit over a Ranger platform.

They already have a Ranger Raptor outside the US, so it would seem a Bronco Raptor would be a natural since the Bronco uses the Ranger underpinnings.

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

They already have a Ranger Raptor outside the US, so it would seem a Bronco Raptor would be a natural since the Bronco uses the Ranger underpinnings.

Yes, but why would they be testing on an F150 platform? The bodywork on the front end doesn't look hacked up and narrowed for a smaller platform. 

"The gut answer here is "some sort of Bronco," but considering that this mule's wheels are pushed out to the edges of its Raptor bodywork, that theory still leaves us scratching our heads. Whatever this is, it's significantly larger than any Bronco mule or prototype we've seen (or been led to expect)."

46 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, but why would they be testing on an F150 platform? The bodywork on the front end doesn't look hacked up and narrowed for a smaller platform. 

"The gut answer here is "some sort of Bronco," but considering that this mule's wheels are pushed out to the edges of its Raptor bodywork, that theory still leaves us scratching our heads. Whatever this is, it's significantly larger than any Bronco mule or prototype we've seen (or been led to expect)."

Maybe they are planning a full size Bronco on the F150 platform..that would be cool...have 3 sizes of Bronco.  Or this is a special edition of the F150 they are developing....Raptor Xtreme Megazord or something...  Raptors are all extended and crew cabs, a regular cab Raptor w/ a 4 ft bed would be cool.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

YouTube review guys I like (Savage Geese)

I watch some of his video too, he is pretty good.  Also, most of the cars he puts on the lift and goes through suspension and maintenance ease with his mechanic.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ykX said:

I watch some of his video too, he is pretty good.  Also, most of the cars he puts on the lift and goes through suspension and maintenance ease with his mechanic.

I like seeing the underside of vehicles in his videos...something I never really see in the real world.   I like the roads too, remind of ones around here...beat up Midwestern roads w/ some curves and undulating sections..

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe they are planning a full size Bronco on the F150 platform..that would be cool...have 3 sizes of Bronco.  Or this is a special edition of the F150 they are developing....Raptor Xtreme Megazord or something... 

I mean, all you'd need to do was hack off the bed and shorten the frame for a F150-sized Bronco.. It's probably relatively easy/cheap. Although, I don't see it happening. 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean, all you'd need to do was hack off the bed and shorten the frame for a F150-sized Bronco.. It's probably relatively easy/cheap. Although, I don't see it happening. 

Never say Never, ya know auto girls and guys love to play! :P 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Seems plenty of people have gas pumps in the back of the truck bed. So it is very mobile. :P 

My brother has one (only person I know)- but they’re pretty much unilaterally diesel, and that; often untaxed off-road diesel. For, you know; vehicles that can’t drive to a gas station easily (or legally).

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

He is good, better now with Jack Singapore instead of Turbowski.  Looking forward to a C8 review from him eventually.

• Agree 1