Random Thoughts Thread

Well...I took my time to explain. It seemed you were interested.  My bad.

You told me after I translated...whatev...

It was insultive.   If you did not care...dont respond back with such nonchalance arrogance. 

And you did it twice with two posts.

But yeah...

I will apologize for I have been rude to you. 

Sorry.   (All in English so I dont insult you further for writing in french.) 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well...I took my time to explain. It seemed you were interested.  My bad.

You told me after I translated...whatev...

It was insultive.   If you did not care...dont respond back with such nonchalance arrogance. 

And you did it twice with two posts.

But yeah...

I will apologize for I have been rude to you. 

Sorry.   (All in English so I dont insult you further for writing in french.) 

Aw I wasn't trying to insult you.  I was trying to reinforce the fact that it has been since 1980 when I was in French class and I've forgotten a high percentage of what I learned, since I had no use for it on a regular basis after school.  We had two choices, French or Spanish.  I would have elected to take German, since that is my paternal heritage.  Tone and cadence are hard to convey on paper sometimes.

Edited by ocnblu

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Good thing, I hear Seattle authoritays are strongly recommending ppl over the age of 60 should stay home as much as possible.  You shouldn't chance it at your advanced age.

Well I had two yerrs of French tongue action in high school but I am a bit rusty.

Did you ask him "How was your birthday?" or "What did you do for your birthday?"  Please reply avec anglais.  Merci gopoop.

Sadly, My mind and body are not as advanced age as you and your friends. I doubt you could stay up with me skiing, in the gym or so many other things.

Working from home when you have idiots still moving around sick is a smart move. Just finished my 2hr upper body workout in the gym. What did you do to have a strong mind and body today?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Well I went to work, then I stopped at the park and walked four brisk laps around the lake.  It helped.  Except ppl were flying.  The speed limit is only 15 because, you know, it's a park, but too many of them were going like 25.  Then they turn the wrong way on a one-way stretch of road in there, even with multiple signs advising them of the fact.  But at least I got my laps in.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well I went to work, then I stopped at the park and walked four brisk laps around the lake.  It helped.  Except ppl were flying.  The speed limit is only 15 because, you know, it's a park, but too many of them were going like 25.  Then they turn the wrong way on a one-way stretch of road in there, even with multiple signs advising them of the fact.  But at least I got my laps in.

Good for you Blu, walking is at least a good start to keeping a strong core for your senior years.

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Blast from the past

When in college, there was a Bob's Big Boy about 1.5 miles from campus.  (Bob's is what they called them in the West ... Big Boys have other names in Eastern states.) Would eat there about 2x a week.  When the "combo" (double decker burger, fries, salad) was on special, it was more like a pilgrimage - we'd go in groups about 3x to 4x a week.  Back then, we ate poorly and no one seemed to gain weight.

I miss the plastic triangular salad dish.  Everything used to come on one plate.  Of the few franchises that remain, they bring out the salad first in a conventional bowl.  That's probably because now it's soup OR salad.

Every L.A. suburb had at least one Bob's Big Boy.  Those were the days.

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Parler plusieurs langues est un talent qui doit etre honoré 

D'accord.  C'est vrai.

• Agree 2

Sounds like there were many different Big Boy franchisees across the US.  Elby's is what I remember here in Ohio from the '70s-80s.   I have a Big Boys a few miles from me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boy_Restaurants

When I was in college and grad school my go-to w/ my friends was Dennys, esp. late at night after hitting the bars in downtown Kent, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Mi...

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Sounds like there were many different Big Boy franchisees across the US.  Elby's is what I remember here in Ohio from the '70s-80s.   I have a Big Boys a few miles from me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boy_Restaurants

When I was in college and grad school my go-to w/ my friends was Dennys, esp. late at night after hitting the bars in downtown Kent, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Mi...

Many.  In addition to Bob's, there are/were Frisch's, JB's, etc.   One of them is big in Michigan ... it still is.  JB's still exists but has a menu that has diverted in a big way from the Big Boy boilerplate.  I'm not even sure they have the double decker burger anymore.

As for Denny's, I'm not a fan.  Their food tastes the same across their breakfast offerings, lunch offerings, etc.  When I was in SoCal, we had some local chains that outdid it - Norm's, Copper Penny, Carrow's, and there was even one named ... drum roll ... Sambo's.  Sambo's ceased to be amidst all the PC-awareness (their icon was a little kid that resembled Mogli from "The Jungle Book"), with the locations picked up by other chains.  

Norm's near Pico and Sepulveda in West L.A. - still there!

Sambo's - check out the styling - there used to be one in Santa Monica

Edited by trinacriabob

10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Many.  In addition to Bob's, there are/were Frisch's, JB's, etc.   One of them is big in Michigan ... it still is.  JB's still exists but has a menu that has diverted in a big way from the Big Boy boilerplate.  I'm not even sure they have the double decker burger anymore.

As for Denny's, I'm not a fan.  Their food tastes the same across their breakfast offerings, lunch offerings, etc.  When I was in SoCal, we had some local chains that outdid it - Norm's, Copper Penny, Carrow's, and there was even one named ... drum roll ... Sambo's.  Sambo's ceased to be amidst all the PC-awareness (their icon was a little kid that resembled Mogli from "The Jungle Book"), with the locations picked up by other chains.  

Norm's near Pico and Sepulveda in West L.A. - still there!

Sambo's - check out the styling - there used to be one in Santa Monica

I'll still hit a Dennys once in a while if I'm out after a concert or something around 11pm/midnight and craving breakfast... a few months ago I lucked out after a Bob Dylan concert and caught a Cracker Barrell 30 min before closing..mmm biscuits and country ham are great at night.

Had a Sambos in Wintersville, Ohio in the 70s...remember eating there as a little kid...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

Spring is coming... and DST is coming.   50, blue skies and sunny this afternoon...I'm optimistic about spring...already thinking about my yard and plantings.  May have new neighbors soon (the houses on both sides of me are for sale). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Spring is coming... and DST is coming.   50, blue skies and sunny this afternoon...I'm optimistic about spring...

Hate me but I want it to stay cool and wet with snow in the mountains. Not ready for spring, allergies and the heat.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Hate me but I want it to stay cool and wet with snow in the mountains. Not ready for spring, allergies and the heat.

I don't get much in the way of allergies, Spring here is usually rainy...gets nice by late May and early June usually.   No heat to speak of until late June when it might get in the 70s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

What was the point of the Bronco video?

:roflmao: I was actually wondering that myself and wondering if anyone else might ask the question. From what I can tell based on the YouTube channel of Ford, they show 3 updates to this video since it originally came out last summer. I think the most recent change was just saying Spring 2020 release. Otherwise very little has changed I think.

Interesting Read from https://www.thedrive.com/news/32457/chinas-car-dealerships-empty-out-over-coronavirus

The Drive is saying that Chinese auto sales have dropped 80% due to Coronavirus.

Autocar is saying while Geneva auto show got canceled, they were still able to interview the Mercedes-Benz executives and major cuts are coming to the companies auto line.

Currently they have 45 models of which G-Class, SL, AMG GT and S-Class as well as a few more are on proprietary platforms. As such, Daimler is going to cut all as they move to a couple of Module platforms.

Shafer also said the V8 and V12 while they want to continue with them, Euro7 legislation will force them to reduce powertrains as the company moves to be EV's by 2030. Expect 4 and 6 cylinder engines to be the normal for Daimler's Mercedes-Benz division.

BMW i4 sedan is aimed right at Tesla 3 as BMW prepares to take Tesla on and surpass them.

https://www.autonews.com/geneva-auto-show/bmw-reveals-model-3-fighter-near-production-form

Euro7 legislation will force them to reduce powertrains as the company moves to be EV's by 2030. Expect 4 and 6 cylinder engines to be the normal for Daimler's Mercedes-Benz division.

Following Cadillac.

I hear a head exploding.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2

I’m excited as a friend of mine bought a few Big Boy’s here in MI. One has a retro set up....i need to get pics of it.

One day I’ll have to learn some French...I took Spanish, which helped when dating your girlfriend (now wife)......

I’ve never seen so many empty stores around here...it’s getting nuts!!!

• Sad 1

Seems Mercedes-benz is starting the purge of failed none profitable auto's. This starts after just 1 year of selling a luxury pickup based on the Nissan truck. Nissan sold 132,000 trucks and MB sold only 15,300 1/8th of Nissan. As such, after just one year on the market, the truck is DEAD!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-end-production-x-class-pick-may

Bye Bye employees and plants as Daimler cuts hard at money loosing vans, auto's with their own special platform.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-set-major-job-cuts-profits-fall

Time to see MB reduce big time their product portfolio.

Of the few times I've gone to E.R. in my life - depressing places - I believe once was at Evergreen.  That's off Totem Lake Blvd., right?

Some basic questions about Covid-19 ...

1) Aren't the number of cases in China decreasing ... or maybe increasing at a slower rate? It's picking up in other countries and spreading to new U.S. states 2) For healthy adults who get through it, how long are they ill? 3) Once one has been ill, I think they can pass this virus through a sneeze, even if recovered and asymptomatic.

I'm trying to read up on it.  The problem is that there is too much written about it to create any kind of hierarchy of take-away major points.

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

Of the few times I've gone to E.R. in my life - depressing places - I believe once was at Evergreen.  That's off Totem Lake Blvd., right?

Some basic questions about Covid-19 ...

1) Aren't the number of cases in China decreasing ... or maybe increasing at a slower rate? It's picking up in other countries and spreading to new U.S. states 2) For healthy adults who get through it, how long are they ill? 3) Once one has been ill, I think they can pass this virus through a sneeze, even if recovered and asymptomatic.

I'm trying to read up on it.  The problem is that there is too much written about it to create any kind of hierarchy of take-away major points.

Correct Evergreen Hospital is off Totem Lake Blvd. The Life Center is behind it where all the old sick people have been dying.

1) From the News is one thing, from my coworkers in China, Cases are still going up at a slower rate. 

2) Healthy adults with a solid immune system end up being down 1 to 2 weeks as it is a form of the flu.

3) According to the UW medical center here, yes liquid drops from your mouth or nose will continue to infect others even after revover. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/256521#covid-19

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Seems Mercedes-benz is starting the purge of failed none profitable auto's. This starts after just 1 year of selling a luxury pickup based on the Nissan truck. Nissan sold 132,000 trucks and MB sold only 15,300 1/8th of Nissan. As such, after just one year on the market, the truck is DEAD!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-end-production-x-class-pick-may

Buy Buy employees and plants as Daimler cuts hard at money loosing vans, auto's with their own special platform.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-set-major-job-cuts-profits-fall

Time to see MB reduce big time their product portfolio.

About time.  GM and Ford had to do their purges (especially GM) a decade ago.  Between 2007 and 2010, over 800 dealerships were shut down thanks to the last recession:  all of them Detroit Three.  MB does not have that dealer bloat problem (fewer than 1000 in the USA alone), but this culling of the herd is almost unheard of (well, except for GM's BK).

5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

About time.  GM and Ford had to do their purges (especially GM) a decade ago.  Between 2007 and 2010, over 800 dealerships were shut down thanks to the last recession:  all of them Detroit Three.  MB does not have that dealer bloat problem (fewer than 1000 in the USA alone), but this culling of the herd is almost unheard of (well, except for GM's BK).

Agree, I just saw a story that BMW is also looking at what auto's are not on their newest module platforms and will look at ending them. I think all European auto companies will be going through this over the next 12 to 18 months. Especially after FCA and Pugeott merge. I think everything will stay static till 18 months from now and then cut cut cut for what does not make sense anymore and they will move to a few platforms across the globe. Maybe if Dodge, Chrysler survive they will finally get new platforms.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Agree, I just saw a story that BMW is also looking at what auto's are not on their newest module platforms and will look at ending them. I think all European auto companies will be going through this over the next 12 to 18 months. Especially after FCA and Pugeott merge. I think everything will stay static till 18 months from now and then cut cut cut for what does not make sense anymore and they will move to a few platforms across the glob. Maybe if Dodge, Chrysler survive they will finally get new platforms.

On this side of the pond, there's nothing new and exciting at FCA.  They are constantly being asked when the new Charger is coming and they don't have an answer.  Two things might explain this.  One is that, on a corporate level, they have to see which way the wind is blowing.  The second is that they cannot fumble on the release of the next Charger.  The current car has served them so well because it was a successful launch that just improved with each tweak.  The next one has to do the same.  And I hope that's the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

A few days ago, I read they were mulling it over.

Today, I read it's official.

Lufthansa is grounding all of their Airbus 380s until May.  They cite that some of their double-decker jumbos have flown with occupancies as low as 35%.  

When it's summer and times are good, I've seen slightly smaller 747s without an empty (main cabin) seat in the house, which means the airline might have turned down some potential customers.  That's when the extra 50 or so seats on an Airbus 380 would come in handy.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wow - no guesses on a well-known car name with this emblem?

Well I was studying the grille and fender shape and coming up short.  It doesn't look like a GM product.  It seems like there may have been some identifier on the vertical center molding, but it's rubbed off.  And for the ornament itself, I did something I rarely do, I cheated and googled it to no avail so far.  I can't tell if that is supposed to be a "G" or an "O" or not a letter at all in the round portion of the ornament.  I tried.