Random Thoughts Thread

Very cool read, 1,000,000 miles on a 2007 Nissan Frontier

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32085/delivery-man-racks-up-one-million-miles-on-2007-nissan-frontier

This is very cool, recovery of a jeep wrangler that fell through undetected thin ice in Alaska but was recovered by the 4x4 group using 6 auto's, 3 as anchors and 3 pulling.

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Gotta Love style and CURVES! :P 

After 32 years a DeLorean gets it's first breath of air after the cocain infused party. :P 

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/390578/delorean-barn-find

Have to say this is a cool barn find.

Man buys old Walmart to show off his 225 muscle car collection. Talk about AWESOME!

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/396587/walmart-225-car-collection

I heard about the guy who bought the old Walmart store too. Insane collection, lucky man. 

• Agree 1

I think it is time for GM to abandon the DOHC V8 and V6 engines while going back to reliable and efficient push-rod designs based on the LT2.

Let's call it the 6th Generation Small Block V8 and V6 engines.

Universally, they should have these features:-

• 103.25mm (bore) x 92mm (stroke)
  • Dual Injection (Direct and Port)
  • Synchronous continuous VVT (0~6 or 0~8 cylinders operation)
  • Dynamic Skip Fire
  • Flywheel Integrated Generator-Starter + 102v LiFePO4 electrical system

6200 V8TT (LTA) -- 600 bhp @ 5,300 rpm, 600 lb-ft @ 1,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm rev limit

6200 V8  (LTX) -- 480 bhp @ 6,200 rpm, 470 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm, 6,600 rpm rev limit

4100 V6 (LTS) -- 360 bhp @ 6,200 rpm, 352 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm, 6,600 rpm rev limit

An interesting way to handle Start-Stop is that with a powerful enough motor integrated into the flywheel, there is no need to restart the engine on brake release. Instead, 0-600 rpm is always on electric power exclusively unless the battery is below 20% charge. The ICE starts naturally and takes over from there. A 102v LiFePO4 battery with about 0.6 kWh should be enough and it is about the size of two lead acid car batteries so it won't be too inconvenient to place them under the trunk or in the engine bay. A linear motor operating on 102v power can be realistically around to 30hp @ 3,300 rpm and 96 lb-ft @ 0 rpm.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I think it is time for GM to abandon the DOHC V8 and V6 engines while going back to reliable and efficient push-rod designs based on the LT2.

Let's call it the 6th Generation Small Block V8 and V6 engines.

Universally, they should have these features:-

• 103.25mm (bore) x 92mm (stroke)
  • Dual Injection (Direct and Port)
  • Synchronous continuous VVT (0~6 or 0~8 cylinders operation)
  • Dynamic Skip Fire
  • Flywheel Integrated Generator-Starter + 102v LiFePO4 electrical system

6200 V8TT (LTA) -- 600 bhp @ 5,300 rpm, 600 lb-ft @ 1,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm rev limit

6200 V8  (LTX) -- 480 bhp @ 6,200 rpm, 470 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm, 6,600 rpm rev limit

4100 V6 (LTS) -- 360 bhp @ 6,200 rpm, 352 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm, 6,600 rpm rev limit

An interesting way to handle Start-Stop is that with a powerful enough motor integrated into the flywheel, there is no need to restart the engine on brake release. Instead, 0-600 rpm is always on electric power exclusively unless the battery is below 20% charge. The ICE starts naturally and takes over from there. A 102v LiFePO4 battery with about 0.6 kWh should be enough and it is about the size of two lead acid car batteries so it won't be too inconvenient to place them under the trunk or in the engine bay. A linear motor operating on 102v power can be realistically around to 30hp @ 3,300 rpm and 96 lb-ft @ 0 rpm.

Great Idea.  Now how does GM deal with the 4cyl issue?  A majority of GM vehicles use 4cyl engines now.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Great Idea.  Now how does GM deal with the 4cyl issue?  A majority of GM vehicles use 4cyl engines now.

Wack a V8 in half and offer a quality V4, no need for those straight 4 bangers!

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Wack a V8 in half and offer a quality V4, no need for those straight 4 bangers!

You can't really do that. Balance and packaging aside, if you keep the V8's architecture with regards to the main bearings and bank offset you end up with a V4 that has three main bearings, two journals and two rods sharing a single journal. There is no way to make that even fire. It'll sound and shake like a Harley V-Twin. You cannot turbo or supercharge it -- because the intake events are not evenly space, hence two cylinders will get more "boost" than the other two. It'll be a mess.

For a V4 to "work" it must have four journals and five mains. This will mean abandoning the 90 deg V8's architecture and starting afresh which defeats the purpose. A more practical thing will be a Pushrod I4 which shares the V8's design and parts. It'll be a very beefy one at 3.1 liters, but it's not like that hasn't been dine before. Look into the Porsche 968 Inline-4 engine. That's a 3.0 liter SOHC 8-vavle design. It's not pushrod operated, but it is 3 liters and it is 2-valves per cylinder. The bore is 104 with a stroke of 88, which is similar to the LT2's 103.25 x 92. It made 237 hp @ 6,200 rpm with 225 lb-ft @ 4,100 rpm. Again, very close to GM small block specific output and rev range.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

You can't really do that. Balance and packaging aside, if you keep the V8's architecture with regards to the main bearings and bank offset you end up with a V4 that has three main bearings, two journals and two rods sharing a single journal. There is no way to make that even fire. It'll sound and shake like a Harley V-Twin. You cannot turbo or supercharge it -- because the intake events are not evenly space, hence two cylinders will get more "boost" than the other two. It'll be a mess.

For a V4 to "work" it must have four journals and five mains. This will mean abandoning the 90 deg V8's architecture and starting afresh which defeats the purpose. A more practical thing will be a Pushrod I4 which shares the V8's design and parts. It'll be a very beefy one at 3.1 liters, but it's not like that hasn't been dine before. Look into the Porsche 968 Inline-4 engine. That's a 3.0 liter SOHC 8-vavle design. It's not pushrod operated, but it is 3 liters and it is 2-valves per cylinder. The bore is 104 with a stroke of 88, which is similar to the LT2's 103.25 x 92. It made 237 hp @ 6,200 rpm with 225 lb-ft @ 4,100 rpm. Again, very close to GM small block specific output and rev range.

Thank you for the reply Dwight, always enjoy your view point. I was thinking of the Motus Company that took the Corvett V8 engine as a starting point and created their V4 motor for motorcycles and as a crate motor at 365hp for auto replacements.

https://motusmotorcycles.com/americanv4

Pretty interesting engineered engine and your right, it does need a bit more engineering work than my quick response of take the V8 and cut it in half, but this motor I have always liked. Motus V4.

Seems even in China, they do not like 3 Cylinder engines as Chinese have said they are unrefined, noisy and not what they want. GM is now working to get certified 4 cylinder motors for their product line in China after going 3 cylinder only and loosing market share to Toyota and VW / Mercedes / BMW that kept 4 cylinder and offered 3 cylinder as a reduced cost option that has little up take. GM of old here not having a solid product to offer and not a ready marketing plan to deal with the cylinder count issue. 🤔

https://www.autonews.com/china/gm-rolls-back-radical-plan-offer-only-3-cylinder-engines-some-china-cars-report-says

Seems Subaru due to higher than expected warranty costs has a 42% fall in profits and Mazda has a 76% profit fall. WOW 😮 

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/subaru-profit-falls-42-higher-warranty-costs

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/mazda-profit-slumps-76-currency-hits

Odd...I wonder how GM's 3 cyl as seen in the new TB and EncyGX compares to the various 4 cyls in other subcompact/compact GM models...

I do wonder why GM would use a 3 cyl for models in the US when they already have many small 4cyls available, other than rampant cheapassery.

Edited by Robert Hall

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Odd...I wonder how GM's 3 cyl as seen in the new TB and EncyGX compares to the various 4 cyls in other subcompact/compact GM models...

I do wonder why GM would use a 3 cyl for models in the US when they already have many small 4cyls available, other than rampant cheapassery.

I honestly think GM was internally sold a lets reduce our ICE engine options and cost by doing a global 3 cylinder engine till our EVs are ready. Yet so far their 3 cylinder engines that I have seen are all noisy, rough, totally unrefined. Cheapassery is the perfect term for them. I honestly would go with smaller 4 bangers than go 3 and keep them going till you have EVs ready to sell.

Based on losses by both Ford and GM, I wonder about these companies long term as other companies start to get production going on their auto's and do not have the legacy complaints that these two companies are dragging with them. Something to ponder. 🤔

• Haha 1

I've never been a 4 cyl fan, but the 1.4 turbo in the Trax continues to surprise me.   Very quiet at idle, and pretty smooth at highway speeds. w/ the 6spd auto I cruised at 70-80 all day, enough power to pass slow trucks in the mountains of VA & WV.....

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Thank you for the reply Dwight, always enjoy your view point. I was thinking of the Motus Company that took the Corvett V8 engine as a starting point and created their V4 motor for motorcycles and as a crate motor at 365hp for auto replacements.

https://motusmotorcycles.com/americanv4

Pretty interesting engineered engine and your right, it does need a bit more engineering work than my quick response of take the V8 and cut it in half, but this motor I have always liked. Motus V4.

LOL... have you ridden a Harley? If you don't mind the shake it's great!

Anyway, the point is that with two journals and a 90 degree block, your firing sequence will be at best 0°--90°--360°--450° instead of 0°--180°--360°--540°. It'll be boom-boom........boom-boom........boom-boom......boom-boom. Like a Harley evolution twin (well that is worse because it is a 45 degree engine, but you get the idea).

If you try to turbo or supercharge something like that you have another problem. Think of a turbo or supercharger as an air pump. The amount of boost that builds depends on how much air is being forced per unit time into the manifold and how long the intake valves are closed so the air has nowhere to go. When the valves open the engine ingests this built up charge of air, hence "boost".  Now imagine that the valves open once after 90 units of time then again after 270 units then 90, then 270, etc. What that means is that your "pump" has three times as much time to build up the charge for two of the cylinders vs the other two. If two cylinders are experiencing 10 psi, the other two will see 30 psi. What are you going to do? Have different compression ratios and fueling for half of the cylinders? Now that is a complete $h! show.

Edited by dwightlooi

5 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

LOL... have you ridden a Harley? If you don't mind the shake it's great!

Anyway, the point is that with two journals and a 90 degree block, your firing sequence will be at best 0°--90°--360°--450° instead of 0°--180°--360°--540°. It'll be boom-boom........boom-boom........boom-boom......boom-boom. Like a Harley evolution twin (well that is worse because it is a 45 degree engine, but you get the idea).

If you try to turbo or supercharge something like that you have another problem. Think of a turbo or supercharger as an air pump. The amount of boost that builds depends on how much air is being forced per unit time into the manifold and how long the intake valves are closed so the air has nowhere to go. When the valves open the engine ingests this built up charge of air, hence "boost".  Now imagine that the valves open once after 90 units of time then again after 270 units then 90, then 270, etc. What that means is that your "pump" has three times as much time to build up the charge for two of the cylinders vs the other two. If two cylinders are experiencing 10 psi, the other two will see 30 psi. What are you going to do? Have different compression ratios and fueling for half of the cylinders? Now that is a complete $h! show.

Thanks Dwight as always, Yes I have ridden Harley's and not a fan of it. Just thought the Motus V4 was an interesting engine that is supposed to be balanced. I figure like you pointed out that they engineered it with a better balance than the basic cut a V8 in half.

Love the engineering input on the firing that is good to know and understand as is the boost part.

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Thanks Dwight as always, Yes I have ridden Harley's and not a fan of it. Just thought the Motus V4 was an interesting engine that is supposed to be balanced. I figure like you pointed out that they engineered it with a better balance than the basic cut a V8 in half.

Love the engineering input on the firing that is good to know and understand as is the boost part.

If you have four journals and 5 mains it can be even fire. But it won't really be a V8 chopped in half and no it is not balanced. Neither is a 90 deg V6 like the 3800 or the VW-Audi longitudinal engines like the 3.0T (supercharged) BTW. They have a balance shaft.

Edited by dwightlooi
  • Agree 1

@dwightlooi Dwight, please look at this and give us your thoughts on this story.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126963_gasoline-direct-injection-tech-might-not-be-worth-it-study-suggests

Very intersting read on why Gas direct injection is not worth it.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

WOW.  Nobody wants 3cyl engines in their cars.  Ideally, everyone in China would go straight for a V6 instead of settling for 4cyl engines.  And yes, GM/Ford should dump the 3cyl engines immediately.

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I've never been a 4 cyl fan, but the 1.4 turbo in the Trax continues to surprise me.   Very quiet at idle, and pretty smooth at highway speeds. w/ the 6spd auto I cruised at 70-80 all day, enough power to pass slow trucks in the mountains of VA & WV.....

And the Trax is quite nimble, as we found out in snow tonight...

If the Nox is a keeper, the tires are the first thing I would be ride...the Premiers on there now are great for dry and rain, but suck in snow....

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

@dwightlooi Dwight, please look at this and give us your thoughts on this story.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126963_gasoline-direct-injection-tech-might-not-be-worth-it-study-suggests

Very intersting read on why Gas direct injection is not worth it.

I have ALWAYS said that Direct Injection is the biggest step backwards in refinement in piston engines in the last 50 years. It is a sure way to get the diesel clatter even when its not a diesel engine because you are opening and shutting injectors against thousands of psi in fuel pressure not tens. If your 1st priority is refinement you will not use DI -- that is why Lexus uses port injection at idle and at low engine rpms or loads, switching to DI only when load picks up or at high rpms where the noise is insignificant with all the other noisy stuff going on.

It is also not a matter if but when carbon clogs your intake port if you have DI. This can be as bad as within 2~3 years on the early VW-Audi FSI nightmares are about 10~15 year on the average late model DI engines. Why? Because you will have a tiny bit of blow by, some small amount of overlap EGR and vapors from your PCV. All of these are sources of carbon compounds in the intake tract. With ZERO fuel and its detergent to clean it off, it will build up over time. The only way to clean it is disassembling the bloody thing and using a walnut blaster or elbow grease to scrub it off.

With DI you ALWAYS have two fuel pumps. One in the tank to move fuel to the engine. One on the engine to raise the fuel rail pressure to four digits in psi. This high pressure pump and the high pressure injectors fail in a dozen years when the gentle port injection stuff runs for 30 years.

All of that for what? About 0.8:1 more compression and hence 2~3% better energy recovery. That is not even 1 mpg in a 30 mpg car. No, it's not really worth it, but it is the current fad just like bullsh!t Start/Stop systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's true, I cannot get away from the fact that even in 2020, I consider GM automotive brands as mainstays or yardsticks, while every other brand is an "alternative" or an "off-brand".

I have to suppose there are people oriented differently, it just struck me as a minor revelation.  I have to consider there are people who come from multi-generational Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc. families as well here in America.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I have ALWAYS said that Direct Injection is the biggest step backwards in refinement in piston engines in the last 50 years. It is a sure way to get the diesel clatter even when its not a diesel engine because you are opening and shutting injectors against thousands of psi in fuel pressure not tens. If your 1st priority is refinement you will not use DI -- that is why Lexus uses port injection at idle and at low engine rpms or loads, switching to DI only when load picks up or at high rpms where the noise is insignificant with all the other noisy stuff going on.

It is also not a matter if but when carbon clogs your intake port if you have DI. This can be as bad as within 2~3 years on the early VW-Audi FSI nightmares are about 10~15 year on the average late model DI engines. Why? Because you will have a tiny bit of blow by, some small amount of overlap EGR and vapors from your PCV. All of these are sources of carbon compounds in the intake tract. With ZERO fuel and its detergent to clean it off, it will build up over time. The only way to clean it is disassembling the bloody thing and using a walnut blaster or elbow grease to scrub it off.

With DI you ALWAYS have two fuel pumps. One in the tank to move fuel to the engine. One on the engine to raise the fuel rail pressure to four digits in psi. This high pressure pump and the high pressure injectors fail in a dozen years when the gentle port injection stuff runs for 30 years.

All of that for what? About 0.8:1 more compression and hence 2~3% better energy recovery. That is not even 1 mpg in a 30 mpg car. No, it's not really worth it, but it is the current fad just like bullsh!t Start/Stop systems.

So when will everybody (GM especially) ditch DI?

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Interesting & telling juxtaposition : two 3/4-ton pickups, about 16 years apart.
The lengths and widths are the same, but the HEIGHTS are noticeably different.
The cowl height on the F-250 is about halfway thru the 2500HD's windshield.

Park a new 2020 Sierra or Silverado HD next to your older Silvy HD, they're a lot taller as well, all domestic makes are getting to be gigantic.

^ I know, I've been on the lots last year.
I will very likely drop down to a 1/2-ton (provided I can get the same configuration; no one seems to like building crew cab / standard beds), but if whatever I go with is noticeably higher than my current beater, I will have to spring for a lowering kit.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@William Maley @balthazar @ocnblu @Robert Hall@Drew Dowdell

Hey guys, I have not seen Drew on here in a while, anyone know if he is doing OK?

I know with his job status things are up in the air.

Wishing @Drew Dowdell all the best. Hope he is doing fine.

Was just wondering the same thing the other day! Where's Drew, is he ok?! Last on Jan. 22nd.

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 1

Everything I just read online says no, but;
was up in very rural Northampton County Pennsylvania today, some very hilly & wooded area. Across the road myself & 2 others with me heard what videos completely confirmed in our opinions - a couple of coyotes mixing it up with a wolf. They were quite close by.

Like I said, state & official websites state wolves haven't been in the northeast in the wild in around 100 years. Coyotes aplenty; yes, but their cries are nothing alike. Chilling sound...

• Like 1

I spent 4 minutes listening to that. Chilling indeed. Im hugging my Big Bad Bruins blanky for comfort. Makes me feel...safe. 

But now...a new thought pops into my head:

You better not let him in.  Little old lady got mutilated late last night.  Werewolves of London again. Aaahwooooo!!! Werewolves of London!

You better stay away from him  he'll rip your lungs out Jim!  Id like to meet his tailor. His hair was perfect.

Aaahwooooo!!!!  Werewolves of London. Aaahwooooooooooooooo!!!

• Haha 2

Been snowing off and on since Friday.  Yes, only another 6 weeks or so till Spring (at least on the calendar).  Overall this has been a very mild winter for Cleveland...I don't mind the gray and snow, its the polar vortex cold like last year I don't enjoy...20s-50s is no big deal.

Edited by Robert Hall

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Been snowing off and on since Friday.  Yes, only another 6 weeks or so till Spring (at least on the calendar).  Overall this has been a very mild winter for Cleveland...I don't mind the gray and snow, its the polar vortex cold like last year I don't enjoy...20s-50s is no big deal.

True....just makes it tough to wash the poor cars... 😞 

I actually thought we had a cold snap coming, but the lowest I saw I was like 32, with the following week in the mid 40s.....

2 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

True....just makes it tough to wash the poor cars... 😞 

I actually thought we had a cold snap coming, but the lowest I saw I was like 32, with the following week in the mid 40s.....

Yeah, got to wash the cars this week...the next 10 days don't sound bad here, highs in the 30s-40s..but this coming Friday only 17...weird..

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, got to wash the cars this week...the next 10 days don't sound bad here, highs in the 30s-40s..but this coming Friday only 17...weird..

Yep, though maybe I missed the 17 degree day... 😮 .The only good news is half my fleet get punished by the salt and snow. My “winter beater” Cobalt and the wife’s new Trax. The Nox and the project Cavie are the ones that enjoy a more salt free lifestyle.... 🙂 

2 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Yep, though maybe I missed the 17 degree day... 😮 .The only good news is half my fleet get punished by the salt and snow. My “winter beater” Cobalt and the wife’s new Trax. The Nox and the project Cavie are the ones that enjoy a more salt free lifestyle.... 🙂 

The Trax has sat out this week and got covered by snow, but I have to drive it tomorrow (my sister has an appointment w/ an orthopedic surgeon and with her broken foot can't easily get in/out of my Jeep--too high).   I'm going to get her Cadillac out this week and take to the shop, it has a small coolant leak somewhere.  If she is cleared to fly, she has to fly back to Florida for work in a couple weeks, she's thinking of shipping the Cadillac down there instead of the Trax. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Trax has sat out this week and got covered by snow, but I have to drive it tomorrow (my sister has an appointment w/ an orthopedic surgeon and with her broken foot can't easily get in/out of my Jeep--too high).   I'm going to get her Cadillac out this week and take to the shop, it has a small coolant leak somewhere.  If she is cleared to fly, she has to fly back to Florida for work in a couple weeks, she's thinking of shipping the Cadillac down there instead of the Trax. 

Thinking the caddy would be a good idea too... 🙂 

• Agree 1

zombie rise GIF

Yes; it certainly did look like a horror movie house. The porch screens were blackened & more translucent than transparent. No; no remodeling. Owner lives across street, uses it for storage.

Hey ocnblu- up where this was (Northampton County), it seems to be a mandate that every house has at least 1 non-operational car on the property. The one to the right of the above pic had 2 '70s Dodge Rams and an '80s mercedes sedan rotting away. The house to the left had a Panther-bodies Grand Marquis. The house in the pics had an '80s Country Squire wagon on flat tires and I think a rotting volvo.
I assume this is a state-wide mandate?

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2