Random Thoughts Thread

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@ocnblu Did you see the new color for Jeep for 2021?

iris.jpg

Well I love it but it is not a new color for 2021.  We have one on our Jeep store lot.  You can only get it in the Trailhawk trim (maybe the Trackhawk too?  I'll have to double check) I believe, which is a shame... because the natural born color for a Jeep is GREEN

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

...the obvious fact that the new Chevrolet HD trucks (one of the last things done right by GM these days) were heavily inspired by this ~

I don't know -and this is ME talking- that I care tho.

Dey still nowhere near as sweet as a '64 C-10, and consciously thinking about any styling connection doesn't make me any more likely to buy one. High Country trim looks the best, lower trims look pretty rough.
2500 styling : 4/10
1500 styling : 8/10

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don't know -and this is ME talking- that I care tho.

Dey still nowhere near as sweet as a '64 C-10, and consciously thinking about any styling connection doesn't make me any more likely to buy one. High Country trim looks the best, lower trims look pretty rough.
2500 styling : 4/10
1500 styling : 8/10

No way, the Custom or LT trims look the best.  The High Country blurs the retro locomotive appeal of the overall aesthetic.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Funny how some folks with short things (memories) do not see the obvious fact that the new Chevrolet HD trucks (one of the last things done right by GM these days) were heavily inspired by this ~

120467129_10158889525159581_8049799674351151558_n.jpg

41chBpUsLBL.jpg

I love both

56 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

No way, the Custom or LT trims look the best.  The High Country blurs the retro locomotive appeal of the overall aesthetic.

I kind of have to agree with you here.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Holy Toledo Batman!

Jeep's Electric Wrangler Signals a Green Future for Off-Roading

I have a major Jeep fetish.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Well I love it but it is not a new color for 2021.  We have one on our Jeep store lot.  You can only get it in the Trailhawk trim (maybe the Trackhawk?  I'll have to double check) I believe, which is a shame... because the natural born color for a Jeep is GREEN

Like I said...put it on the Wrangler or Gladiator.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Except the Autoblog piece put the term "upgraded" in quotes. Then asked at the end if it was, in fact, and "upgrade" over a nissan.
Schlubs.

The Cybertruck is an upgrade over the Nissan. Let's be honest.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I love it but it is not a new color for 2021.  We have one on our Jeep store lot.  You can only get it in the Trailhawk trim (maybe the Trackhawk too?  I'll have to double check) I believe, which is a shame... because the natural born color for a Jeep is GREEN

I wondered about that...I went through the configurator for several trims and couldn't find it...looks nice.

• Agree 2

Funny how some folks with short things (memories) do not see the obvious fact that the new Chevrolet HD trucks (one of the last things done right by GM these days) were heavily inspired by this ~

120467129_10158889525159581_8049799674351151558_n.jpg

41chBpUsLBL.jpg

Yup and BOTH TRUCKS are FAILURES!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler edition is a modern classic | India.com

Id wanna replicate the 75th anniversary concept  if Id ever buy a Wrangler.  Or just buy an original US military WW2 or Korean war Jeep. 

jeep 75th anniversary willys concept | Willys jeep, Jeep cars, Jeep jk

Or do a lifted 4 door like in the Terminator Salvation movie

terminator jeep - Google Search | Jeep wrangler unlimited, Jeep wrangler,  Jeep

That is what I want in my Jeep.  The only SUV I crave, really.   OK...maybe a lifted 1980s Toyota 4Runner would be another.  

FCA hints at 392 and Hellcat V8s for it.  Usually, I applaud V8 applications for vehicles, but not in these.  I mean, I aint against V8s in these, its just that a V8 would be very very low on my gotta have list CJ/YJ/Wrangler...   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

I’m.... not seeing locomotive in the current crop of Chevy trucks. Where are you seeing it?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’ll take Rivian 30 years to sell what the Silverado does in 1.

Possible, then again, they might be far more profitable than Chevrolet is due to their commercial delivery vans as well as a higher end product line.

Last 30 years we have seen GM go from being the largest auto company in the world to a player in just select markets. Allot can change in 30 years.

Need to get back to my project, but here is what I quickly found for just the last 10 years. I can easily see Rivian doing this.

Chevrolet Sales Numbers, Figures, Results | GM Authority

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

This is why I think GM FAILED in regards to their ICE product line. Someone signed off on a Cheap poor acceptance of the front end of the 2021 Escalade by just almost badge engineering the Chevrolet Suburban.

2021 Cadillac Escalade ESV

image.png

2021 Chevrolet Suburban

image.png

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Possible, then again, they might be far more profitable than Chevrolet is due to their commercial delivery vans as well as a higher end product line.

...here is what I quickly found for just the last 10 years. I can easily see Rivian doing this.

Rivian only has 2 upcoming overpriced lux models with no variants. Look at Tesla- they sold less than 35,000 vehicles in 2019 withOUT the Model 3, and Rivian has nothing priced like the Model 3, only like the Model S. But you can "easily see" Rivian selling 2 million pickup/SUV vehicles?

NOW who looks at thing 'realistically'?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

This is why I think GM FAILED in regards to their ICE product line. Someone signed off on a Cheap poor acceptance of the front end of the 2021 Escalade by just almost badge engineering the Chevrolet Suburban.

image.png

2021 Chevrolet Suburban

image.png

Another example (among countless others) of why homologation was the stupidest thing GM ever did, all since the 1971 Chevy Vega.  Downhill (mostly) ever since. 

Most non-GM fans would ask this: why should I buy an Escalade over a Suburban or a Yukon XL Denali?  How is Cadillac unique vs. the other makes and foreign competitors?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I’m.... not seeing locomotive in the current crop of Chevy trucks. Where are you seeing it?

Imposing size.  Forward brow.  Serious countenance.  Powerful demeanor.  Unstoppable presence.  This is conveyed only in the HD series.  It has a stylized industrial mystique that GM has done in decades past with their trucks, and they've become classics.  They've taken the time to really bring historic Chevrolet Truck essence to the forefront with the new HD.

b360c94a6f9600b40c711cfda9f58dc0.jpg

cf83dcba4f30d719947b91d21eb6a98a.jpg

1965-chevrolet-hd-trucks-brochure-r-muirhead-art.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

7 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

FCA hints at 392 and Hellcat V8s for it.  Usually, I applaud V8 applications for vehicles, but not in these.  I mean, I aint against V8s in these, its just that a V8 would be very very low on my gotta have list CJ/YJ/Wrangler... 

Oh the 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 392 is real, and it's SPECTACULAR.  470 horsepower, and it's made a much bigger splash than the 4xe with its cute baby blue tow hooks.

2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-05.jpg

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Except the Autoblog piece put the term "upgraded" in quotes. Then asked at the end if it was, in fact, and "upgrade" over a nissan.
Schlubs.

That pissed me off when I read it... but what would you expect when they have a far leftist parent company.

• Disagree 4

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I wondered about that...I went through the configurator for several trims and couldn't find it...looks nice.

Yeah. for those of us who like color...it might make the difference on buying a Jeep or not buying a Jeep. 

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Neat how things change over time. I love old maps. 

44 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

NASA's "Project Mercury"?

127821405_3579359998753475_4420894473140542844_n.jpg

Proving that yes, Pigs do fly. Not one of Mercury's better designs. Hard to think the same folks that brought us the gorgeous 49 Mercury also brought us this. 

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler edition is a modern classic | India.com

Id wanna replicate the 75th anniversary concept  if Id ever buy a Wrangler.  Or just buy an original US military WW2 or Korean war Jeep. 

jeep 75th anniversary willys concept | Willys jeep, Jeep cars, Jeep jk

Or do a lifted 4 door like in the Terminator Salvation movie

terminator jeep - Google Search | Jeep wrangler unlimited, Jeep wrangler,  Jeep

That is what I want in my Jeep.  The only SUV I crave, really.   OK...maybe a lifted 1980s Toyota 4Runner would be another.  

Fuel economy is important in any adventure vehicle, as getting away from society (and by extension, gas stations0 is part of the allure. Hauling more fuel in jerry cans or stoppin more often for fuel doesn't add to the trip. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, David said:

image.png

2021 Chevrolet Suburban

image.png

Agree entirely with you here. 

15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

8.jpg

Now if I could just get that in a bse trim, I might pay a visit to my local jeep dealer with checkbook in hand. 

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

See they're restricting the best colors to certain trim levels... 2021 Renegade Jeepster in Techno Green... cannot order it in a Trailhawk, which would be the miniature Jeep I'd get... gorgeous color

1.jpg

yeah, but almost too pretty to take off road. But yes, drop dead gorgeous. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

8.jpg

Looks like that color is only available on the Trailhawk, SRT, and Trackhawk.  Bummer...I'd like it on an Overland.   If I were trading my black '14, I'd consider Velvet Red, Walnut Brown or Sangria...I like these colors and these wheels.   The walnut brown is more gray than the brown they had a few years ago..there was a brown back around '16-17 that was richer.   

So many of these are sold in boring-ass white (I will never drive a white SUV) or black (I've grown to like black).   But I generally prefer dark colors....and I don't care for black wheels and black trim.

39b96674cbd9412eb44c6852e1dd6b7e.jpg

1.jpg

image-1.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Trackhawk in that green looks entirely badass...

2021 grand cherokee laredo e

The maroon is nice also as a Trackhawk...

Slate Blue is a good color on this, and available in lower trims, liket he Limited. 

2021 grand cherokee trackhawk®

But given any combination outside of the green...make mine Sting grey trailhawk. Also, the Sting Grey is similar to Ford's Cacus grey, and available on gladiator and Wrangler also. 

2021 grand cherokee limited

For comparison, Green on trailhawk...

And amazingly, the red is not obnoxious on the trailhawk, but not a color I would order this in. 

• Agree 2

Robert, I will disagree with you on one thing...I do like the GC in white, and see very, very few in white here in Columbus. Might be a regional dealer ordering thing?

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Robert, I will disagree with you on one thing...I do like the GC in white, and see very, very few in white here in Columbus. Might be a regional dealer ordering thing?

I know in Arizona it seemed 75% of them were white...I see a lot here in white also...just so dull and mainstream.   And white w/ black wheels and black trim seems popular.   

I like the gray on the Trailhawk...it was funny....when I was still living in AZ, I bought my '14 at the end of March 2017, and literally the same week, my colleague in the cubicle next to me bought a gray Trailhawk.  We went out in the parking garage at lunch w/ several colleagues and were comparing our rides parked side by side...looked identical under the hood. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I know in Arizona it seemed 75% of them were white...I see a lot here in white also...just so dull and mainstream.   And white w/ black wheels and black trim seems popular.   

I actually really like the Wrangler in that trim, like a Wrangler Willys edition white with black wheels and black trim. 

Have thought hard about making the next vehicle white, as I want to do some off road and back wood driving.  White is the easiest color to blend and repair in a body shop, or so I am told. maybe "Blu can chime in on that. 

And if someone were to buy something like a Tacoma, F series, Silverado, Ranger, Colorado or the like in white....so many commercial trucks are sold white. Bend or dent something off road and i bet you could find ready to go replacement panels cheap off of a wrecked commercial truck and not ahve to worry about paint matching. 

But then again, we have very different needs when it comes to vehicles. 

White also seems to blend in a bit, so I could also see a brighter, more unusual color to make you stand out...

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Fuel economy is important in any adventure vehicle, as getting away from society (and by extension, gas stations0 is part of the allure. Hauling more fuel in jerry cans or stoppin more often for fuel doesn't add to the trip. 

I do remember once getting panicky up in the mountains in Colorado when I got low on gas in my '00 GC and I was several miles from the nearest town.  Since then, I avoid going below 1/2 a tank when far from home.   I remember the first year I had my '00, I went driving once out towards Crested Butte on dirt roads to see some ghost towns....like 50 miles from paved roads w/ no cell signal.  I did crazy stuff when I was young.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I do remember once getting panicky up in the mountains in Colorado when I got low on gas in my '00 GC and I was several miles from the nearest town.  Since then, I avoid going below 1/2 a tank when far from home.   I remember the first year I had my '00, I went driving once out towards Crested Butte on dirt roads to see some ghost towns....like 50 miles from paved roads w/ no cell signal.  I did crazy stuff when I was young.  

I did also. 

Looking at used GC...5000 pound tow rating does a lot. 

Killing a bit of time on a thanksgiving morning...one more McLaren...posting a bunch in the beautiful cars thread...really like this picture, so i am posting it here. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

NASA's "Project Mercury"?

127821405_3579359998753475_4420894473140542844_n.jpg

'58 was pretty ghastly, IMO.   My folks bought one of these new (12 years before I was born).  a '58 Monterey 4dr sedan.  My Mom nearly ripped off a back door backing out of the garage..

As far as old Mercurys go, I really like the late 60s-early 70s styling. 

hqdefault.jpg

Car-101264903-30ba3f2aa64099b93bacc346657595e7.jpg

3384d56994dbc3bd143e934f34ec3df4.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Imposing size.  Forward brow.  Serious countenance.  Powerful demeanor.  Unstoppable presence.  This is conveyed only in the HD series.  It has a stylized industrial mystique that GM has done in decades past with their trucks, and they've become classics.  They've taken the time to really bring historic Chevrolet Truck essence to the forefront with the new HD.

b360c94a6f9600b40c711cfda9f58dc0.jpg

cf83dcba4f30d719947b91d21eb6a98a.jpg

1965-chevrolet-hd-trucks-brochure-r-muirhead-art.jpg

Thank you for re-enforcing just how pathetic these Bricks with faces drawn on are. Another example of pigs with Lipstick!

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I always liked the 1st gens, they have spot-on great proportions.

I guess there's no way to ever see formal backlights again; I kinda miss them in some iterations... mostly because they give a sedan some 'booty'. All that fastback interior space is useless.... it's there for aero.

I tend to like more midsized cars, and loved these when they came out.  Wish more ofthem had been preserved, I miss seeing them on the road. 

H'mmm Most Mom's never look this good months after giving birth, but WOW. Good thing her husband is also a body builder, their daughter is cute and will have good healthy habits growing up.

image.png

김해나 ʜᴀᴇɴᴀ ᴋɪᴍ🇰🇷 (@xhaenax) • Instagram photos and videos

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1