Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting read on Diesel trucks and modifications in America. After the Diesel Brothers Discovery show was found and fined $850,000 for illegal modifications to diesel auto's, the EPA did research and reported on the roughly 15% of Diesel auto's that are running around with illegal performance modifications that have greatly increased the Toxic spew out of the tail pipe poisoning the local community in which they live.

Interesting is that this study by the EPA focused on the last 10 years starting from 2010 and found that North Dakota has the highest number of illegal diesel auto's with removed emissions systems at more than 25% of the registered diesels in the state. This is compared to California that inspects yearly the emission systems and has only found on average 3% with deleted emissions systems.

The study does point out how we have gone from high NOX emissions in the 80's to super clean today and when you remove the emissions system, we go back to being even worse than the 1980's and this is due to the power of the modern diesel motors and what they put out to produce such power. The need to burn up the toxic emissions.

Very interesting read. 🤔

Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant—and apparently a big business (greencarreports.com)

Arizona was full of those modified piles of garbage. I do not miss that rolling soot laden non-sense.

• Agree 3

Diesel Lovers can rejoice in that GM  has donated $12 million in 2019 and 2020 3 L Diesel GMC and Chevrolet pickup trucks to various colleges and technical trade schools to insure the education of service repair mechanics on diesel motors is strong as they move forward.

GM believes that the need for mechanics of Diesel and ICE auto's will still be very strong over the next 50 years as the company transitions to an EV portfolio.

Quote: “This donation provides a greater opportunity for our up and coming technicians to learn on the innovative technology in our current model vehicles, providing hands-on repair experience and diagnostic skills,” said Eric Kenar, GM manager, Technician Environment and Service Technical College. “This will put those students at a competitive advantage when they graduate from GM ASEP and enter into the dealership or ACDelco Professional Service Center environment.”

General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales Donates More Than 200 Diesel Trucks to GM ASEP Schools

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Arizona was full of those modified piles of garbage. I do not miss that rolling soot laden non-sense.

Arizona needs to crack down also, impound trucks, fine drivers. 

Fines should go up for repeat offenders. Severely. 

Just now, David said:

Diesel Lovers can rejoice in that GM  has donated $12 million in 2019 and 2020 3 L Diesel GMC and Chevrolet pickup trucks to various colleges and technical trade schools to insure the education of service repair mechanics on diesel motors is strong as they move forward.

GM believes that the need for mechanics of Diesel and ICE auto's will still be very strong over the next 50 years as the company transitions to an EV portfolio.

Quote: “This donation provides a greater opportunity for our up and coming technicians to learn on the innovative technology in our current model vehicles, providing hands-on repair experience and diagnostic skills,” said Eric Kenar, GM manager, Technician Environment and Service Technical College. “This will put those students at a competitive advantage when they graduate from GM ASEP and enter into the dealership or ACDelco Professional Service Center environment.”

General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales Donates More Than 200 Diesel Trucks to GM ASEP Schools

This is kind of sad at the Auto Mechanics program at the community Colelge my wife works for, GM and Ford donate a ton of vehicles and money, and a lot of the mechanics go on to work for Kia, Toyota, and Honda dealers. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Arizona needs to crack down also, impound trucks, fine drivers. 

Fines should go up for repeat offenders. Severely. 

This is kind of sad at the Auto Mechanics program at the community Colelge my wife works for, GM and Ford donate a ton of vehicles and money, and a lot of the mechanics go on to work for Kia, Toyota, and Honda dealers. 

They won't because not every county does yearly emissions tests and most have figured out how to remove the offending equipment before taking it to an inspection station. Ironic considering most those same folks subscribe to the "law and order" mantra, just not when comes to their diesel burning piles of s***.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

They won't because not every county does yearly emissions tests and most have figured out how to remove the offending equipment before taking it to an inspection station. Ironic considering most those same folks subscribe to the "law and order" mantra, just not when comes to their diesel burning piles of s***.

Things are moving in the right direction in some ways. 

I really love the thought of a diesel full size pickup truck though. All 3 of the big three build some compelling vehicles in this regard. 

On the more humerous side...

128832435_10159426154679505_890099581570

• Haha 2

Nobody actually needs to remove anything in half of the modern diesels. These use urea injection not a nitrogen storage catalyst. This is favored in the USA because we do not really have true low sulfur diesel fuel and sulfur poisons nitrogen traps. The Urea is misted downstream of the cat and the ammonia in it converts oxides of nitrogen to nitrogen and CO2 (as well as some CO). When the Urea tank is empty the ECU knows and is supposed restrict vehicle operation (to 5 mph). THAT, however, is easily fixed with a software flash. It's as easy to detect as performance software on the ECU -- which is to say the SMOG gay have no idea. All the guy knows is that all the HARDWARE are all in place and no error codes are present.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Things are moving in the right direction in some ways. 

I really love the thought of a diesel full size pickup truck though. All 3 of the big three build some compelling vehicles in this regard. 

On the more humerous side...

128832435_10159426154679505_890099581570

No doubt a good diesel truck has its uses but most of the jack wagons in Arizona never use them for their intended purpose, like pulling and hauling heavy loads. It's just something to compensate for that small D energy and making a lot of engine because "Murica!".

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

128300184_10161401791269522_233551203664

Because Gary Larson is a genius!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, surreal1272 said:

No doubt a good diesel truck has its uses but most of the jack wagons in Arizona never use them for their intended purpose, like pulling and hauling heavy loads. It's just something to compensate for that small D energy and making a lot of engine because "Murica!".

I really want one for camping and maybe towing a trailer. So I would use it as God and GG (or Ford, or Ram) intended. 

Got in a bit of trouble...

128493314_2691499251180237_3359979127429

3 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

Nobody actually needs to remove anything in half of the modern diesels. These use urea injection not a nitrogen storage catalyst. This is favored in the USA because we do not really have true low sulfur diesel fuel and sulfur poisons nitrogen traps. The Urea is misted downstream of the cat and the ammonia in it converts oxides of nitrogen to nitrogen and CO2 (as well as some CO). When the Urea tank is empty the ECU knows and is supposed restrict vehicle operation (to 5 mph). THAT, however, is easily fixed with a software flash. It's as easy to detect as performance software on the ECU -- which is to say the SMOG gay have no idea. All the guy knows is that all the HARDWARE are all in place and no error codes are present.

Diesel trucks are interesting because if you want to drive to say South America the quality of diesel si apparently not always good enough to work with modern emissions systems. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I really want one for camping and maybe towing a trailer. So I would use it as God and GG (or Ford, or Ram) intended. 

Got in a bit of trouble...

Diesel trucks are interesting because if you want to drive to say South America the quality of diesel si apparently not always good enough to work with modern emissions systems. 

That is only a problem with nitrogen storage catalysts. Urea Injection is an after treatment sprayed into the exhaust after the cat; $h! fuel is not going to hurt the tank or the sprayer. You may have trouble buying the Urea (aka DEF) if you used it up and peeing in there won't cut it. But, they typically last between 6000 and 9000 miles so if you top it off before the trip you should be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

That is only a problem with nitrogen storage catalysts. Urea Injection is an after treatment sprayed into the exhaust after the cat; $h! fuel is not going to hurt the tank or the sprayer. You may have trouble buying the Urea (aka DEF) if you used it up and peeing in there won't cut it. But, they typically last between 6000 and 9000 miles so if you top it off before the trip you should be fine.

That would bode well for a diesel as a future purchase. Thank you. 

Just skip ahead to 7:25 where he gets on it, damn this sounds good. Or watch the whole video if you wish. 

25 minutes ago, balthazar said:

toyoters require a LOT of repair.

The number of recalls does not equal reliability or relate to a "lot of" repairs (There are exceptions to every rule of course). Thought this was common knowledge when GM and Ford were recalling cars left and right not even a decade ago (and still do for the most part). That's what their supporters were saying anyway.

• Agree 1

Auto Humor we all can love!

https://youtu.be/wKiW5OYjels

57 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

What 😮 You cannot use a decent Beer wiz to refill if ya have too? ;)

Some of these failures are just too funny!

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, David said:

Auto Humor we all can love!

https://youtu.be/wKiW5OYjels

What 😮 You cannot use a decent Beer wiz to refill if ya have too? ;)

Some of these failures are just too funny!

Ranger rololin coal at ab out the 9:30 mark...lots of these are funny. 

Seems Europeans are dumping public transportation to avoid Covid-19 chances of getting sick, so the used auto market has exploded which is bad as they say for the air and environment. Why you might ask, because many of the used auto's are diesel with no emissions control on them.

Pandemic Motors: Europeans snap up old cars to avoid public transport | Autoblog

I could so enjoy owning this Dodge Durango Hellcat!

image.png

2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat First Drive: The Three-Row, One-Year Wonder (thetruthaboutcars.com)

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The number of recalls does not equal reliability or relate to a "lot of" repairs (There are exceptions to every rule of course). Thought this was common knowledge when GM and Ford were recalling cars left and right not even a decade ago (and still do for the most part). That's what their supporters were saying anyway.

Do toyoter recall issues fix themselves, or do they require human techs/mechanics to do them?

• Thanks 1

Not sure if anyone remembers what happened on September 8th 2019 Port of Brunswick Georgia. 656 foot long auto carrier ship started to list as it left port and then fully capsized with 4,200 auto's on board. Finally they are cutting up the ship using a special metal cutting chain and pulling sections of the ship from the port.

😮 

Giant Chain Rips Through Dozens of Cars as Capsized Cargo Ship Gets Chopped Up (thedrive.com)

• Agree 1

Covid is going nuts...

3 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure if anyone remembers what happened on September 8th 2019 Port of Brunswick Georgia. 656 foot long auto carrier ship started to list as it left port and then fully capsized with 4,200 auto's on board. Finally they are cutting up the ship using a special metal cutting chain and pulling sections of the ship from the port.

😮 

Giant Chain Rips Through Dozens of Cars as Capsized Cargo Ship Gets Chopped Up (thedrive.com)

Probably the only way BMW cars could actually become less relaible than they already are. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, David said:

Hi Dwight, Always appreciate your take and input on this.

1) I will disagree with you on economic sense. If looking at the bigger picture of how much toxic exhaust to toxic chemicals current ICE auto's can drop into the environment as well as the affect an ICE auto has versus an EV auto on the same environment, for people who can afford them now, they would see the long term affect of having a 21st century EV auto as being cost effective. One cannot just take a black and white approach to EVs due to cost alone. The bigger picture of how auto's affect the planet's climate cannot be denied as they exhaust does have an affect and many people are taking that into affect.

First of all, I am a CLIMATE DENIER. I do not believe in the Global Warming hypothesis. It is nonsense that the climate today is warmer than it has ever been or that it is in any way abnormal. The fact is that the Earth was warmer 800 years ago when there was practically no polar ice cap and the Norsemen were able to settle on Greenland. She was also warmer when the Step Pyramid was built, when the Minoans thrived, when the Dinosaurs walked the Earth and for countless periods in between. Perhaps more importantly, she has been warmer during most of these periods with half the CO2 in the air. The planet was also capable of being frozen to the equator with 8~10x the CO2 in the air such as during the late-Ordovician ice ball. If the planet had been warmer with half the CO2 and much colder with 10x the CO2 how can we conclude that the current climate -- smack in the middle of historical fluctuations -- is in any way abnormal or that it is linked primarily to CO2 much less man made CO2? It doesn't matter how many "scientists" anyone claims agree with them; science is not a popularity contest.

Therefore carbon emissions are totally irrelevant to me and I never believed in any form of carbon footprint reduction or economic suicide pacts like the Paris Accord. CO2 is a trace gas in the Earth's atmosphere at 2~4 parts per 10,000. Water vapor and other factors dominate our green house effect, while ice core samples have shown that warming and cooling cycles have never, ever, tracked CO2 concentrations ever since with have an Oxygen-Nitrogen atmosphere.

That said, I do care about pollutants like particulates, oxides of nitrogen and other compounds that are actually harmful to humans. I also care about the economics of EVs. The idea that EVs are cleaner is predicate upon the electrical grid's power generation actually being cleaner. This is empirically not true in countries like China which gets 80% of their power from coal, while is is quite true with countries like France which is 80% nuclear. As far as the US is concerned, we get about 20% nuclear, 68% fossil fuel and 12% others. Of the fossil fuel slice of the pie, modern ULEV and PZLEV rated ICE are about as clean as the natural gas plants and CLEANER than the oil and coal fired plants.

Edited by dwightlooi
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

I will say that I find these little Suzuki's to be very cool. Happy 50th Birthday Suzuki Jimny!

Quote: Less than three meters (9.8 feet) long and with a wheelbase of just 1.93 meters (6.33 ft), the first mass-produced 4x4 model was introduced in this popular market segment. The first version offered three seats, an open body with a canvas cover, and an air-cooled 360-cc two-stroke engine with 25 horsepower (18 kilowatts).

image.png

Latest version was released in 2018 with a 1.5L 102 hp / 76 kW motor and automatic as an option for Transmission.

image.png

image.png

Suzuki Jimny Turns 50, Remains True To Its Compact Off-Road Origins (motor1.com)

23 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

First of all, I am a CLIMATE DENIER. I do not believe in the Global Warming hypothesis. It is nonsense that the climate today is warmer than it has ever been or that it is in any way abnormal. The fact is that the Earth was warmer 800 years ago when there was practically no polar ice cap and the Norsemen were able to settle on Greenland. She was also warmer when the Step Pyramid was built, when the Minoans thrived, when the Dinosaurs walked the Earth and for countless periods in between. Perhaps more importantly, she has been warmer during most of these periods with half the CO2 in the air. The planet was also capable of being frozen to the equator with 8~10x the CO2 in the air such as during the late-Ordovician ice ball. If the planet had been warmer with half the CO2 and much colder with 10x the CO2 how can we conclude that the current climate -- smack in the middle of historical fluctuations -- is in any way abnormal or that it is linked primarily to CO2 much less man made CO2? It doesn't matter how many "scientists" anyone claims agree with them; science is not a popularity contest.

Therefore carbon emissions are totally irrelevant to me and I never believed in any form of carbon footprint reduction or economic suicide pacts like the Paris Accord. CO2 is a trace gas in the Earth's atmosphere at 2~4 parts per 10,000. Water vapor and other factors dominate our green house effect, while ice core samples have shown that warming and cooling cycles have never, ever, tracked CO2 concentrations ever since with have an Oxygen-Nitrogen atmosphere.

That said, I do care about pollutants like particulates, oxides of nitrogen and other compounds that are actually harmful to humans. I also care about the economics of EVs. The idea that EVs are cleaner is predicate upon the electrical grid's power generation actually being cleaner. This is empirically not true in countries like China which gets 80% of their power from coal, while is is quite true with countries like France which is 80% nuclear. As far as the US is concerned, we get about 20% nuclear, 68% fossil fuel and 12% others. Of the fossil fuel slice of the pie, modern ULEV and PZLEV rated ICE are about as clean as the natural gas plants and CLEANER than the oil and coal fired plants.

I accept you as you Dwight. Yes the history is in the rocks as they say or Geologist say and science does show that we have gone through multiple ice ages. We clearly have evolved and with that comes the ability to look at the past and learn from it and realize that the climate has changed and drastic things have happened as the climate got out of balance.

One would ask then, would it not behoove us to learn from the past, what is recorded in the rocks and improve upon it where we can by limiting how we affect our climate?

I am happy to read that you like me do care about the pollutants that are harmful to humans.

While Natural gas is the US highest form of electricity production, Nuclear and coal are now bellow green power generation I believe based on what Drew posted earlier. 

• Agree 2

Why you don't loose your shit with your car and get in a fight in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Watch on youtube...pathetic....road rage...

News story on this...store destroyed on its grand opening day...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Why you don't loose your shit with your car and get in a fight in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I kinda go a big both ways here. I do believe that the earth goes in cycles (Hot, cold, etc) and that it is going to change regardless of what we do. But, I also feel we can speed up that change by adding more Co2 and other chemicals to the air/earth/sea....

And we need to find better ways to power these things for the future as well. Can’t simply use nuclear and coal forever. We need to make solar, wind and even sea powered ways to get energy for our car and home.

I might be the minority, but I believe that both EV and ICE powered cars can live in harmony, and that both can be around......

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I kinda go a big both ways here. I do believe that the earth goes in cycles (Hot, cold, etc) and that it is going to change regardless of what we do. But, I also feel we can speed up that change by adding more Co2 and other chemicals to the air/earth/sea....

And we need to find better ways to power these things for the future as well. Can’t simply use nuclear and coal forever. We need to make solar, wind and even sea powered ways to get energy for our car and home.

I might be the minority, but I believe that both EV and ICE powered cars can live in harmony, and that both can be around......

They will. My Ranger is apolitical...It can play right wing talk radio or NPR.  Or play Ted Nugent or a Rap artist. Car discussion should not be politicized. 

Only known collission between a car and a submarine...can't find much information...

965287c95671cc5d2cd1190c2f47e968.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They will. My Ranger is apolitical...It can play right wing talk radio or NPR.  Or play Ted Nugent or a Rap artist. Car discussion should not be politicized. 

Only known collission between a car and a submarine...can't find much information...

965287c95671cc5d2cd1190c2f47e968.jpg

Yep. Still will need to be the best for both worlds. For extreme weather, towing, and off road activity ICE is still king. But for local commuting or long trips to work or play, EV can be a changer there. One simple charge to get all of your shopping done.

I still plan to own both..... 🙂 

• Agree 2

Speaking of extreme weather, supposed to get our first hit of winter tonight and tomorrow here in NE Ohio.  Been raining all day, supposed to change to snow tonight.  Predicted 5-12” here in the Cleveland burbs.  Maybe I’ll get the snowblower out tomorrow.   Maybe get my Jeep out and play in the snow..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

News story on this...store destroyed on its grand opening day...

WOW, that is so stupid, yet sadly, I have seen this before especially from entitled kids. Hope the owner and employees can recover fast and get back to work during this pandemic.

20 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of extreme weather, supposed to get our first hit of winter tonight and tomorrow here in NE Ohio.  Been raining all day, supposed to change to snow tonight.  Predicted 5-12” here in the Cleveland burbs.  Maybe I’ll get the snowblower out tomorrow.  

Post pics please, love to see snow! :D 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, that is so stupid, yet sadly, I have seen this before especially from entitled kids. Hope the owner and employees can recover fast and get back to work during this pandemic.

Post pics please, love to see snow! :D 

2a0.jpg

• Haha 2

I've never plowed with my truck.
I put in 4L once. In treacherous snow I only need 4H.

When I plowed for a buddy of mine using 3 or 4 different vehicles of his, I only ever used 4H.  With plowing, it's better to have a bit of slip anyway.  4L is serious off road / mud pit stuff.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I've never plowed with my truck.
I put in 4L once. In treacherous snow I only need 4H.

When I plowed for a buddy of mine using 3 or 4 different vehicles of his, I only ever used 4H.  With plowing, it's better to have a bit of slip anyway.  4L is serious off road / mud pit stuff.

I still have yet to figure out if I have a locking transfer case or not. The difference between Auto and 4H for me is that the front wheels are engaged, but the front diff is not locked in Auto. 4H locks the front diff. At least that’s my understanding.

• Agree 2

I chickened out on attempting to put my new bathroom floor down (LVP), I called a guy in, and he was at my place in 24 hours, had it done in about 2 hours, did a great job.  Got the room painted first, resurfaced the closet shelves.  After the floor was down I put up new base moldings and PVC wainscoting on the short wall so I could put in my new toilet.  Put a new baseboard heater on the long wall.   Still have to do the wainscoting on the long wall and put in a new faucet.  So the project is coming along nicely and I'm proud of myself.

I do hate fooling with water shut-off valves.   Turning the water back on at the short supply lines is a trick because they always drip until they're turned at the EXACT angle necessary.  Does anyone know a secret to avoiding this problem?

IMG_0500.JPG

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I chickened out on attempting to put my new bathroom floor down (LVP), I called a guy in, and he was at my place in 24 hours, had it done in about 2 hours, did a great job.  Got the room painted first, resurfaced the closet shelves.  After the floor was down I put up new base moldings and PVC wainscoting on the short wall so I could put in my new toilet.  Put a new baseboard heater on the long wall.   Still have to do the wainscoting on the long wall and put in a new faucet.  So the project is coming along nicely and I'm proud of myself.

I do hate fooling with water shut-off valves.   Turning the water back on at the short supply lines is a trick because they always drip until they're turned at the EXACT angle necessary.  Does anyone know a secret to avoiding this problem?

IMG_0500.JPG

Excellent, looks great, Bill!

4 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Looks great!!

Yes it does!

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

20x24’ deck I built for a customer, plus I installed the sliding door. 

C5A83107-4C16-4015-BA9C-F79A66F8626A.jpeg

Love the lights, railing. 

• Thanks 1