Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

It was a battery-ONLY unit; power grid fluctuations are irrelevant.

Okay. That clarifies that. My last one was hard wired with a lithium battery backup. Ran for six years before I moved back to NC. One thing to consider is the maker of said smoke detector and who sources their batteries. Thing is that all of that irrelevant because EV batteries will have a unified standard applied (if not already) unlike smoke detector batteries. There will be more reliable and consistent references and guides for this. Smoke detector batteries will not be subject to the same standards. Your one example doesn't mean there is a widespread issue either without more research.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1

I have seen from name brand 9V to generic 9V batteries live a wide range of life. For smoke detectors, habit is every XMAS, Replace the 9V no matter what to insure it is fresh and strong. Cheap insurance I think that way.

Huge difference between a four dollar nine volt battery and a twenty thousand dollar Tesla battery.

Point is made though. Although I bet if you pulled the history of the ten Rangers built right before mine and the ten Rangers built right after mine...and did it in ten years...there would be a wide wide variety of natural life spans for that Ecoboost four cylinder motor.

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

No 9V replaceable batteries are sold with a claimed 10-yr operating lifespan.

This is why I only use internal combustion smoke detectors in my home. Those extra pipes through my roof aren't vent stacks for plumbing they are exhaust stacks for the detectors.

Getting a little tired of running around the house with a small oil can trying to keep them fueled.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Point is made though. Although I bet if you pulled the history of the ten Rangers built right before mine and the ten Rangers built right after mine...and did it in ten years...there would be a wide wide variety of natural life spans for that Ecoboost four cylinder motor.

Sure, but obviously 20 internal combustion engines operated by 20 operators over 10 years may involve a 1000 variables all affecting those outcomes. I expect all 20 -sans accidents- to still be operating. This, tho the OEM only basically guarantees it to work for 3 years.

I was merely saying that in the most stress-less scenario like I outlined, a L-I battery should be able to perform to it's maximum potential & advertised lifespan. Or at least 90% of that. It's a controlled demonstration cycle.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Sure, but obviously 20 internal combustion engines operated by 20 operators over 10 years may involve a 1000 variables all affecting those outcomes. I expect all 20 -sans accidents- to still be operating. This, tho the OEM only basically guarantees it to work for 3 years.

I was merely saying that in the most stress-less scenario like I outlined, a L-I battery should be able to perform to it's maximum potential & advertised lifespan. Or at least 90% of that. It's a controlled demonstration cycle.

And battery life is a huge concern. Would actually love to own a model 3 but if you ever have to replace a battery pack...yowzers.

And yeah...I have replaced a bunch of those detectors that didn't last ten years 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:48 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

....and an advanced 4WD system could help you navagate Michigan's notoriously $h!ty roads. I always know when I go from Ohio to Michigan, because the pavement looks like something one would find in a bombed out jungle in Laos or a dirt path one would find in Tibet. 

Apparently Michigan has as much trouble playing football as they do maintaining roads, as Michigan is really having an off year. I say this not to run you or Michigan down, but because I want big ten football to stand up and represent. I normally cheer for any big ten team over any non big ten team, exept for Penn State, because I despise Penn State football. 

We judge/compete with Penn State in debate, and every time I write a win for a pen state debater, I hAve to remind the students that jsut because they won the round....it doesn't mean I like their football team.

Then again an Ox and Cart might be cheaper, and you wouldn't have to put up with the inevitable C and G electric vs. ICE debate. You would have your own alternative fuel powertrain!

Hope you had a Great thanksgiving. 

I did, hope you did as well. 🙂

Yeah, and when I cross into Ohio (either on 75 or 23) the roads become much, much better. Bunch of construction though! I had to get each one of the tires on my Cobalt repaired last winter....that was pretty nuts!

Seems Michigan as no defense at all this year. Can’t stop it in the air or the run. Same issue as the Lions it seems. I get the feeling it will get worse. Also found that our QB is playing hurt....but still.....

• Agree 2

•   Reads about Michigan State Football and about the Detroit Lions'

VIDEO: 6 of the best Axel Foley moments · The Daily Edge

• laughs because the Lions have been pathetic as long as I have been watching NFL football. (since the mid-80s)  Laughs even more because as a Cowboy fan, the Lions cant seriously be more pathetic than the Cowboys...can they?
  • Proceeds to google Lions 2020 season

Cotton Fleece Jacket of Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) in Beverly Hills Cop |  Spotern

• cant believe what Im seeing, Lions season is only marginally better.  WTF???!!!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Been a crazy NFL season...the Broncos don't even have a quarterback today (been a Broncos fan since the late 90s).  Browns have done better than I thought they would this year.  Steelers are great as usual. 

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I did, hope you did as well. 🙂

Yeah, and when I cross into Ohio (either on 75 or 23) the roads become much, much better. Bunch of construction though! I had to get each one of the tires on my Cobalt repaired last winter....that was pretty nuts!

Seems Michigan as no defense at all this year. Can’t stop it in the air or the run. Same issue as the Lions it seems. I get the feeling it will get worse. Also found that our QB is playing hurt....but still.....

Ohio--land of orange barrels.   The orange barrel is the (un)official state flower of Ohio. 

Yeah, Michigan has been disappointing for years.   Always had a long running sibling rivalry w/ my brother over Michigan vs Ohio State (I went to Michigan in the 90s for grad school, my brother went to Ohio State in the late 60s-early 70s). 

• Agree 3

Could you be referring to the Dallas Cowboys as the world's most over-rated sports franchise?

Im afraid...you could be right...

Sad emoticon | Stock Images Page | Everypixel

I gotta turn that frown upside down....

• I keep on reading and I come across Milwaukee and I fondly remember a certain TV show.  

retrowar: “'Happy Days' hotrod ” | Famous vehicles, Hot rods cars, Cars  movie

• Strangely enough...Im HAPPY again (wink wink)

• I also fondly remember questioning the Milwaukee baseball club name when I was a young tike and watching MLB.  I didnt quite understand what a Brewer was.  Heck, being born in Montreal and being a fan of MY city's baseball club, I didnt understand what an Expo was either...  
  • But then, I became of legal drinking age and I understood quite well...   

Old Milwaukee | Beer Xpress

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

• Reads about batteries, 9V batteries, smoke detectors...realizes that I didnt change my smoke detector batteries since last year, remembers that I bought the damned batteries last year...
  • Reads the package of the 9V battery and sees that at least Duracell, guarantees 5 years...in storage...
  • please excuse me for a few moments while I change my batteries in my smoke detectors

DURACELL.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:
  • Reads about batteries, 9V batteries, smoke detectors...realizes that I didnt change my smoke detector batteries since last year, remembers that I bought the damned batteries last year...
  • Reads the package of the 9V battery and sees that at least Duracell, guarantees 5 years...in storage...
  • please excuse me for a few moments while I change my batteries in my smoke detectors

DURACELL.jpg

Just read this morning about a CEO who was quite well liked...and died at 46 due to a house fire.

No political posts...but I hate the Dallas Cowboys. I might change my opinion on other things...not that.

Steelers doing wonderful.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Could you be referring to the Dallas Cowboys as the world's most over-rated sports franchise?

Im afraid...you could be right...

Sad emoticon | Stock Images Page | Everypixel

I gotta turn that frown upside down....

• I keep on reading and I come across Milwaukee and I fondly remember a certain TV show.  

retrowar: “'Happy Days' hotrod ” | Famous vehicles, Hot rods cars, Cars  movie

• Strangely enough...Im HAPPY again (wink wink)

• I also fondly remember questioning the Milwaukee baseball club name when I was a young tike and watching MLB.  I didnt quite understand what a Brewer was.  Heck, being born in Montreal and being a fan of MY city's baseball club, I didnt understand what an Expo was either...  
  • But then, I became of legal drinking age and I understood quite well...   

Old Milwaukee | Beer Xpress

You would be correct. When you have to blow the dust off of a VHS tape and find a VCR to see their “glory days”, that says all I need to know about that team. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You would be correct. When you have to blow the dust off of a VHS tape and find a VCR to see their “glory days”, that says all I need to know about that team. 

When I become a fan of a team, Im a fan for life for that team.  Only once have I jumped ship. I was once a Montreal Canadiens fan. I got turned off by the that club, became a Bruins fan and that is that.

Regarding the Cowboys...I fell in love with the team when I started watching the NFL in the early to mid '80s for whatever reason.  The lore of the Cowboys from the 1970s I guess. The allure of the Cowboy's cheerleaders...the "America's Team" moniker that was touted from back then...    Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker.   All the glamour and glitz that was the Cowboys back then.  So...Ill stick with them with all the ups an downs.  Even when they are losing, from the late 1990s all the way to today, you GOT to admit, its entertaining AF!!!!

From Tony Romo fumbling the damned football because his hot Jessica Simpson girlfriend is in the stands, to Terrell Owens pretend mooning the fans and the Cowboys' logo in their own home as an opposing player, to him crying because the fans and media are rough on "his quarterback" when he actually became a Cowboy himself a year or two later after the mooning incident, to well, this year... The Cowboys are FUN to watch!!!   Its awesome when they live up to the famous "America's Team" moniker with the 3 1990s Superbowls to the almost impossible task to live up to that moniker and them imploding the way they do.  Win or lose, the Cowboys are very entertaining.   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Yet those awful Lions currently have a better record than the most overrated sports franchise in the history of sports. Regardless, Patricia had to go.

It would be better if the Lions were sold to a better owner, then get a real GM and head coach and draft a franchise QB.  Lions have not had a franchise QB in decades.  (Stafford does not qualify.)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

It would be better if the Lions were sold to a better owner, then get a real GM and head coach and draft a franchise QB.  Lions have not had a franchise QB in decades.  (Stafford does not qualify.)

Could we also stop the stupid over payment of money to these jocks and have the owners pay for their own stadiums rather than dump the millions on the tax payers.

Just saying, stupid over payments to the jocks, stupid dumping of hundreds of millions of debt on the local tax payers, dumping of maintenance cost on the tax payers when the Billionaire owners can afford it themselves.

Interesting review on how the Kia Telluride is still king after 18,000 miles especially over the Hybrid Highlander from Toyota.

I will say that they mention the 2021 winner being the Land Rover Defender and after seeing the video @A Horse With No Name I believe posted about a review group who bought for long term testing a Defender and are on their 3rd one in only 200 miles, I highly question their 2021 Winner.

I have not heard of the issues for the Kia compared to the Defender.

2020 Kia Telluride Long-Term Update: Still the King After 18,000 Miles (motortrend.com)

Love write ups like this on cool Barn finds, but I do find it sad that someone bought it and just let it sit rather than enjoy driving it.

Barn Find Cars, Chevy Camaro Edition: Featuring ’69 Z/28s and a Yenko Conversion (motortrend.com)

I have started to wonder if BMW and their huge grill is them wanting to really be a Royal Royce Phantom as those auto's also have a huge freak'in grill. 🤔

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I don't know how I became part this fray, but your outburst is nonsensical. I don't dislike you and I never left... I simply haven't found much to comment about on this tread lately exactly because of the prevalence of this kind of diatribe.

My position on EV is very simple and it hasn't changed.

(1) EVs do not currently make economic sense because of the cost of batteries exceeds the cost of fuel over the lifetime of the battery (and often times that of the vehicle). That is why they need subsidizes and tax bates to survive on the market.

(2) EVs also do not make convenience sense because they cannot be recharged in 3 minutes like a gas tank can be refueled. This is a big deal because convenience is the very reason automobiles exist -- if you don't care much for it you'll be happy waiting for the bus and consulting train schedules.

(3) That said, EVs do offer a massive leap in refinement because of the lack of vibrations and noise from electric motors. However, brands like Tesla have done a terrible job making their vehicles refined, luxurious or simply quiet.

(4) Given the above, I have always advocated for a primarily electric vehicles with a SMALL battery enough for 40~50 miles and a micro turbine generator -- which does not have to be efficient, just extremely compact and devoid of a cooling system -- for infrequent trips that exceed that.

The man makes some good points. 🙂  Adding thoughts:

1) I think cost is going to be big- but I also wonder if the batteries will be able to be repaired by cell, or if the whole thing gets tossed like a Duracell. I can also add the cost to charge it up....

2) Time is still an issue, but like phones, I think they will be able to charge them faster. And, like gas powered cars, they would not need to be fully charged- enough to get home to finish it up. Still requires planning though!

3) For all the talk about Tesla, their cars remind me of cheap Chinese cars you see crash tested. I have yet to know a person who has a Tesla that has not has not had some sort of issue with it. And most of it from being cheap. I used to work for a supplier that fed parts to Tesla, and they were famous for cutting corners.......

4) Agreed!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, daves87rs said:

1) I think cost is going to be big- but I also wonder if the batteries will be able to be repaired by cell, or if the whole thing gets tossed like a Duracell. I can also add the cost to charge it up....

2) Time is still an issue, but like phones, I think they will be able to charge them faster. And, like gas powered cars, they would not need to be fully charged- enough to get home to finish it up. Still requires planning though!

3) For all the talk about Tesla, their cars remind me of cheap Chinese cars you see crash tested. I have yet to know a person who has a Tesla that has not has not had some sort of issue with it. And most of it from being cheap. I used to work for a supplier that fed parts to Tesla, and they were famous for cutting corners.......

4) Agreed!

Like I said elsewhere...Tesla fails to understand 1940s technology. They need to do basic fundamental manufacturing right.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 7.23.28 AM.png

Ohio has a garage full of woodworking equipment that should have this in it instead.... gorgeous.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

1925 Graham ::

25 Graham.png

I would like to learn more about Graham. They built interesting vehicles.

8 hours ago, David said:

This looks like Killer Fun!

Just....no.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, David said:

Interesting review on how the Kia Telluride is still king after 18,000 miles especially over the Hybrid Highlander from Toyota.

I will say that they mention the 2021 winner being the Land Rover Defender and after seeing the video @A Horse With No Name I believe posted about a review group who bought for long term testing a Defender and are on their 3rd one in only 200 miles, I highly question their 2021 Winner.

I have not heard of the issues for the Kia compared to the Defender.

2020 Kia Telluride Long-Term Update: Still the King After 18,000 Miles (motortrend.com)

Love write ups like this on cool Barn finds, but I do find it sad that someone bought it and just let it sit rather than enjoy driving it.

Barn Find Cars, Chevy Camaro Edition: Featuring ’69 Z/28s and a Yenko Conversion (motortrend.com)

I have started to wonder if BMW and their huge grill is them wanting to really be a Royal Royce Phantom as those auto's also have a huge freak'in grill. 🤔

Telluride is the current King of three row SUV's

14 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I don't know how I became part this fray, but your outburst is nonsensical. I don't dislike you and I never left... I simply haven't found much to comment about on this tread lately exactly because of the prevalence of this kind of diatribe.

(1) EVs do not currently make economic sense because of the cost of batteries exceeds the cost of fuel over the lifetime of the battery (and often times that of the vehicle). That is why they need subsidizes and tax bates to survive on the market.

(2) EVs also do not make convenience sense because they cannot be recharged in 3 minutes like a gas tank can be refueled. This is a big deal because convenience is the very reason automobiles exist -- if you don't care much for it you'll be happy waiting for the bus and consulting train schedules.

(3) That said, EVs do offer a massive leap in refinement because of the lack of vibrations and noise from electric motors. However, brands like Tesla have done a terrible job making their vehicles refined, luxurious or simply quiet.

(4) Given the above, I have always advocated for a primarily electric vehicles with a SMALL battery enough for 40~50 miles and a micro turbine generator -- which does not have to be efficient, just extremely compact and devoid of a cooling system -- for infrequent trips that exceed that.

Hi Dwight, Always appreciate your take and input on this.

1) I will disagree with you on economic sense. If looking at the bigger picture of how much toxic exhaust to toxic chemicals current ICE auto's can drop into the environment as well as the affect an ICE auto has versus an EV auto on the same environment, for people who can afford them now, they would see the long term affect of having a 21st century EV auto as being cost effective. One cannot just take a black and white approach to EVs due to cost alone. The bigger picture of how auto's affect the planet's climate cannot be denied as they exhaust does have an affect and many people are taking that into affect. On top of this battery costs are being reduced greatly each year and I do expect by 2025 to be on par with ICE.

2) We have had this discussion @Drew Dowdell has pointed out the change in thinking many times and we are moving to get there with rapid charging and solid state batteries that can recharge in minutes. Currently you cannot unless it is an Econ box sub compact with a tiny gas tank of less than 10 gallons fuel all auto's in 3 min. Average fuel tank size on full size trucks and SUV's is 26 gallons. USA limits gas pumps to a maximum flow of 10 gallons a minute from the main tank if all else is perfect. With filters and multiple auto's fueling this rate is usually reduced to an average of 5 gallons per min based on the industry. That would mean for an average 26 gallon fuel tank your are taking from empty 5 to 6 minutes to fuel. Yet many people fill up from a quarter tank or due to limited funds only put in a few dollars and go. EV you can always just get enough energy to get home and then plug in and finish over night. EV's will cause a change in approach to how one fuels their auto due to options that never existed with ICE auto's.

3) Totally agree with you on this point, I think the existing OEMs will bring a far superior EV auto to market due to their experience in mass production that Tesla has FAILED to learn from.

4) I totally get this point and I think that is where Hybrids will come in for those that have a harder time changing habits with an EV. I do believe that the newest solid state battery designs that have been published and are going into production for auto's that will come to market in 2024 and 2025 will help greatly with this as we see increased energy density in the individual cells that will allow for smaller battery packs where needed or keeping the same size but drastically increasing range. Already GM has revised their Ultium battery packs to now have 450 miles of range.

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

4) Agreed!

GM Ultium design of small cell packs allows for ease of replacement if a section has a bad cell or two. This does allow for repair rather than total replacement. Toshiba, LG and Samsung have all moved to a modular design for this very reason. Panasonic has stated they have battery change designs coming, but have not clearly stated what those changes are. Tesla seems to want to build excess cells in to off set the potential for a bad cell or two but has remained vague on this. 

It will be interesting to see the direction we go in how battery repairs / maintenance is done for EV auto's.

• Agree 2

Ummm @oldshurst442... what did I do to get drawn into this fight lol? Long time my friend.. but after sifting thru some of this.. I am still lost as to why @ocnblu is so in love with ICES that he still finds the need to talk $h! about the EV movement. INSANITY.. Propulsion that moves us around faster and more efficiently and if I rev the engine/motor/ up with a kid standing behind it... he won't get carbon monoxide poisoning and die? U'd think NO BRAINER. OCNBLU.. U must work for an oil company up there in PA. Rest assured.. I'm trying to hold out for either that Hummer EV or the Escalade EV as my next. Completely ready to exchange everyone of my gas burner V8s for a plug-in. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Ummm @oldshurst442... what did I do to get drawn into this fight lol? Long time my friend.. but after sifting thru some of this.. I am still lost as to why @ocnblu is so in love with ICES that he still finds the need to talk $h! about the EV movement. INSANITY.. Propulsion that moves us around faster and more efficiently and if I rev the engine/motor/ up with a kid standing behind it... he won't get carbon monoxide poisoning and die? U'd think NO BRAINER. OCNBLU.. U must work for an oil company up there in PA. Rest assured.. I'm trying to hold out for either that Hummer EV or the Escalade EV as my next. Completely ready to exchange everyone of my gas burner V8s for a plug-in. 

....good to see you back. My sister just bought an Escalade and loves it, thought of you when she drove it home. I now have a Ford and a Chevy in my driveway so I am all domestic...my Daughter jsut boguth a Z06 (C6) thought of you when she brought that home. 

GM should do very well with the electric tech they are developing, for the first time in years I am kind of bullish and optomistic about the US auto industry. 

But I am going to put an little Euro love in here, Ducati....love Euro motorbikes. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Welcome back my friend, great to see you post, been a long time. Hope all is well in your family and no one has been affected by Covid-19.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Sadly, I just learned my nephew who works for the FAA in Chicago and is a Type 1 diabetes had been moved to an administrative roll working from home when the pandemic started. His two room mates continued to work in the tower at Ohara airport. They brought home the virus and now Garrett is sick and had to go to the hospital as the virus does seem to affect those with health issues harder than without.

Stay safe everyone, I would hate to have any of you deal with this virus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, David said:

Welcome back my friend, great to see you post, been a long time. Hope all is well in your family and no one has been affected by Covid-19.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Sadly, I just learned my nephew who works for the FAA in Chicago and is a Type 1 diabetes had been moved to an administrative roll working from home when the pandemic started. His two room mates continued to work in the tower at Ohara airport. They brought home the virus and now Garrett is sick and had to go to the hospital as the virus does seem to affect those with health issues harder than without.

Stay safe everyone, I would hate to have any of you deal with this virus.

Very sorry to hear ab out this. It's scary stuff. 

On the bright side, a morning ride through Milwaukee. Enjoy...have a great day, everyone. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:07 AM, ocnblu said:

That pissed me off when I read it... but what would you expect when they have a far leftist parent company.

Thought you were against speaking politics here (and yes, saying things like "but what would you expect when they have a far leftist parent company." is very much political)?

26 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Blu doesn't work for the oil industry but he sure acts like he has lifetime stock in it lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

Besides the fact that part of your assessment is subjective (example, I knew three people in Arizona that owned Teslas and not ONE complained about it not being quiet or luxurious enough which, again, is a subjective term), its statements like No.2 that have me laughing because its the same argument that the anti-EV crowd likes to use while ignoring the fact that you cannot fill up your ICE auto at home while you eat, sleep, enjoy time with your family. In addition, regarding No.3, there are now other EV options in the luxury game so singling out Tesla doesn't really accomplish much there.

• Agree 2

Getting back to vehicles, the RAM looks damn fine set up as an overlanding rig. 

127109554_10218806596615199_919153195919

11 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Besides the fact that part of your assessment is subjective (example, I knew three people in Arizona that owned Teslas and not ONE complained about it not being quiet or luxurious enough which, again, is a subjective term), its statements like No.2 that have me laughing because its the same argument that the anti-EV crowd likes to use while ignoring the fact that you cannot fill up your ICE auto at home while you eat, sleep, enjoy time with your family. In addition, regarding No.3, there are now other EV options in the luxury game so singling out Tesla doesn't really accomplish much there.

I do like the idea of fueling at home. 

As Balthazar said, Thread Cleanse. 

128269770_3437019283012060_9223019849582

• Agree 2

On 11/26/2020 at 2:27 AM, balthazar said:

How is BMW unique vs. the other makes? Or Mercedes? Or any mass mainstream brand?
To be honest about it, the auto industry has embraced MASSIVE homogenization.
1990 vs. 2020 :

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.25.58 AM.png

None of the four is soemthing I want in my driveway. Hard pass....and I get your point...

• Agree 1

Interesting read on Diesel trucks and modifications in America. After the Diesel Brothers Discovery show was found and fined $850,000 for illegal modifications to diesel auto's, the EPA did research and reported on the roughly 15% of Diesel auto's that are running around with illegal performance modifications that have greatly increased the Toxic spew out of the tail pipe poisoning the local community in which they live.

Interesting is that this study by the EPA focused on the last 10 years starting from 2010 and found that North Dakota has the highest number of illegal diesel auto's with removed emissions systems at more than 25% of the registered diesels in the state. This is compared to California that inspects yearly the emission systems and has only found on average 3% with deleted emissions systems.

The study does point out how we have gone from high NOX emissions in the 80's to super clean today and when you remove the emissions system, we go back to being even worse than the 1980's and this is due to the power of the modern diesel motors and what they put out to produce such power. The need to burn up the toxic emissions.

Very interesting read. 🤔

Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant—and apparently a big business (greencarreports.com)

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting read on Diesel trucks and modifications in America. After the Diesel Brothers Discovery show was found and fined $850,000 for illegal modifications to diesel auto's, the EPA did research and reported on the roughly 15% of Diesel auto's that are running around with illegal performance modifications that have greatly increased the Toxic spew out of the tail pipe poisoning the local community in which they live.

Interesting is that this study by the EPA focused on the last 10 years starting from 2010 and found that North Dakota has the highest number of illegal diesel auto's with removed emissions systems at more than 25% of the registered diesels in the state. This is compared to California that inspects yearly the emission systems and has only found on average 3% with deleted emissions systems.

The study does point out how we have gone from high NOX emissions in the 80's to super clean today and when you remove the emissions system, we go back to being even worse than the 1980's and this is due to the power of the modern diesel motors and what they put out to produce such power. The need to burn up the toxic emissions.

Very interesting read. 🤔

Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant—and apparently a big business (greencarreports.com)

They really need to crack down on this here in Ohio. Seriously. Fine people and impound trucks. 

Financial pentalties for this houdl be severe. Do not mind the Diesel Brothers being fined. 

Glad someone did it. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1