Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.08.29 PM.png

It looks killer in that color. 

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Google brings up many renderings...could be nice.

Dodge-Charger-Magnum-1.jpg

2020-dodge-charger-hellcat-widebody-wagon-rendered-as-dodge-magnum-revival-135602_1.jpg

That next to a G8 based/Holden ute based pick em up....two vehicles that we should have gotten and didn't. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Now see, that is a very handsome machine.  If I had money and a big enough garage, I'd try to leverage my employee discount and get myself one.  DO IT!  YOLO!

Agree entirely. 

Although your truck is nothing to sneeze at. 

USPS-truck-fire-Connecticut.jpg

https://www.trucks.com/2020/12/01/postal-service-delays-mail-truck-replacement-contract-again/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=popup&utm_content=ram

Apparently the post office needs some new trucks...

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Google brings up many renderings...could be nice.  The red one appears to be the current Charger front stuck on the old Magnum body, seen pics of several of these that have been done in 1:1, even seen a couple w/ Challenger fronts. The 2nd rendering is a wagon w/ the current Charger lower bodysides..

Dodge-Charger-Magnum-1.jpg

2020-dodge-charger-hellcat-widebody-wagon-rendered-as-dodge-magnum-revival-135602_1.jpg

Those Rock, Thank you Robert!

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.08.29 PM.png

That is an Awesome looking truck, Professional and rocks! Home Run Hit and would serve you so well.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, David said:

Those Rock, Thank you Robert!

That is an Awesome looking truck, Professional and rocks! Home Run Hit and would serve you so well.

I love how sculpted the sides look. Much better than the slab sided look of a lot of other trucks. 

• Agree 1

Mazda Honoring Local Heroes by Giving Them 100th-Anniversary Miatas

The free Miatas are going to 50 people who have dedicated themselves to their communities this year.

Mazda Miata Special Editions Being Gifted to 50 'Local Heroes' (caranddriver.com)

That's our local hero who gets the car:

N.J. teacher who turned his home into PPE factory honored with new car.

N.J. teacher who turned his home into PPE factory honored with new car - nj.com

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ykX said:

Mazda Honoring Local Heroes by Giving Them 100th-Anniversary Miatas

The free Miatas are going to 50 people who have dedicated themselves to their communities this year.

Mazda Miata Special Editions Being Gifted to 50 'Local Heroes' (caranddriver.com)

That's our local hero who gets the car:

N.J. teacher who turned his home into PPE factory honored with new car.

N.J. teacher who turned his home into PPE factory honored with new car - nj.com

I really love and respect Mazda ans a corporation, and I so badly want a Miata. Kudo's to them. 

1280px-1934.morgan.super.sports.arp.jpg

• Agree 2

Snow stopped overnight.  30 and sunny, supposed to get to 39 this afternoon.  Measured 15 inches off the back patio and front driveway..drifts larger.  Used the snowblower a bit, it gets bogged down in a foot or more of snow.  Was a heavy wet snow.  Did some shoveling, got the Jeep out and made some passes back and forth to knock down some of the snow in the driveway.    Cleared it enough for the Amazon deliveries and USPS...

B95BB398-A6D5-44AD-B165-FEDE331F8627.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Snow stopped overnight.  30 and sunny, supposed to get to 39 this afternoon.  I used the snowblower a bit, it gets bogged down in a foot or more of snow.  Was a heavy wet snow.  Dig some shoveling, got the Jeep out and made some passes back and forth to knock down some of the snow in the driveway.   

B95BB398-A6D5-44AD-B165-FEDE331F8627.jpeg

Much warmer here in Columbus. 

"God all powerful can't seem to handle money. Always need more". From George Carlin.

54 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Mid 40s to low 50s over next 10 days here. I think we got the last warm day Monday- was 65 but it rained most of the day.

That is still not too bad. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Get any snow down there?

Just a little bit, we had about an inch of accumulation but it is quickly melting off. 

Interesting fabrication work here. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Got pretty slammed up here...some areas further east got a couple feet of snow.

One reason I really like living further south. I70 seems to be a dividing line here....up in Delaware or Northern Franklin county, we can ahve an inch or inch and a half of snow. South of I70, it can be clear. 

• Agree 1

Really worth watching...Overhead cam vs. Overhead valve on a motorcycle....how indian and harley market and think differently about bikes. Well shot with good photography, well paced commentary. 

• Like 1

Trying to figure out which is more insane from Facebook....the marketplace advertisement for a 67 Fairlane convertible clapped out and sans drivetrain for 40 Grand or the question in an overlanding forum I am part of asking about the most fuel efficient vehicle to overland antarctica.

Just curious...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Some beautiful scenery here...

Vancouver Island is supposed to be incredible.  It is not related to the city of Vancouver.  That's why I've never been there.  Vancouver Island sits across the wide Strait of Georgia and requires an expensive ferry ride to get there.  The only recognizable names on the island might be Victoria and Namaimo (tasty Nanaimo bars were named after this town).  The island is enormous and is hardly populated. 

One of its not so great aspects is a fairly high incidence of mountain lion and human encounters.  Western Canada seems to have more of these than the Western U.S.

Nanaimo-Bars.-New-and-Improved-3.jpg

Nanaimo bars!

You can definitely get these when getting coffee in Canada.  Not so much in most of the U.S.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Vancouver Island is supposed to be incredible.  It is not related to the city of Vancouver.  That's why I've never been there.  Vancouver Island sits across the wide Strait of Georgia and requires an expensive ferry ride to get there.  The only recognizable names on the island might be Victoria and Namaimo (tasty Nanaimo bars were named after this town).  The island is enormous and is hardly populated. 

One of its not so great aspects is a fairly high incidence of mountain lion and human encounters.  Western Canada seems to have more of these than the Western U.S.

Nanaimo bars!

You can definitely get these when getting coffee in Canada.  Not so much in most of the U.S.

A friend of mine that lives in BC (Burnaby) has a vacation home on Vancouver Island somewhere on the coast..  the photos I've seen of the area look quite spectacular.    I really want to get out there eventually and explore...

Those bars look delicious.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Nanaimo bars!

🤔 I am confused as Vancouver Island here which is a normal basic cost ferry ride from the US or from Vancouver city in British Columbia has a population of 870,000 plus citizens. There is a national park there and on the north end of the island plenty of cool camping stuff, hikes, water falls etc. to see.

Empress Hotel

image.png

Basic freeway system, but plenty of dirt roads for off roading.

image.png

If one wants to get away from it all, then the northern tip of the island is worth visiting to camp.

image.png

Best park if your wanting a good day trip is Butchart Gardens. They have their own private marina if you own a boat or you can take the ferry there and drive to the garden which is freaking amazing.

image.png

image.png

Once done at the Garden, a visit to the Buttery fly garden is worth it.

Victoria Butterfly Gardens

A posted video by a visitor.

• Agree 4

Seems a price war is on for the ubber 6 figures luxury SUV products as Mercedes-Benz has rolled out their latest 2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS600 Opulence embraced SUV. Undercutting Bentley Bentayga, Land Rover Range Rover SVAutobiogrphy and the Rolls-Royce Cullinan with a starting price of only $161,550. This SUV maxes out at $200,000 so if your looking for the monogrammed floor mats, then look to Bently or Rools-Royce.

image.png

2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS600 first drive review: Opulence embraced - Roadshow (cnet.com)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/1/2020 at 12:29 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Even in a big city I shop independant hardware stores and small family owned restaurants and businesses. And I live on the edge of Columbus....

OK, so I bought this ICE toy for myself as an early Christmas present...ICE isn't all bad... Stihl MS 250. 

127212849_3431696290200624_7257602451170

Sorry the shop is messy but I have been busy. 

How much and how big of stuff are you using it for? I borrowed my dad's Husqvarna 40V chainsaw and it impressed the hell out of me. I'm 100% going all electric as I grow my yard tools. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Stopped at my local dealer this afternoon - had a Silverado RST Duramax, but short bed. No good.
'cross the street at GMC, had an Elevation Double Cab / standard bed 5.3L. No good (& sold). But I like the Elevation in person, and tho I'd still like it 1-2 inches lower, it's pretty appealing to me (as a crew cab / standard bed).

Saw a perfect Elevation online.... in Wyoming.  😔

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

How much and how big of stuff are you using it for? I borrowed my dad's Husqvarna 40V chainsaw and it impressed the hell out of me. I'm 100% going all electric as I grow my yard tools. 

I cut good sized logs several times a week for my woodworking shop. I am thinking of adding a 4th chainsaw at some point. I have a small electric and a Stihl MS 170. I want something with a 24 or 25 inch bar length next.

37 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Stopped at my local dealer this afternoon - had a Silverado RST Duramax, but short bed. No good.
'cross the street at GMC, had an Elevation Double Cab / standard bed 5.3L. No good (& sold). But I like the Elevation in person, and tho I'd still like it 1-2 inches lower, it's pretty appealing to me (as a crew cab / standard bed).

Just order it....

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I have been retiring all my ICE yard tools and replacing them with EGO power tools. Just solid and they last but without the engine noise, so I do not have to wear hearing protection.

Power Beyond Belief, #1 Rated Battery Powered Platform | EGO (egopowerplus.com)

They have at this time a 14, 16 and 18 inch blade.

Cordless Chain Saw Powers Through Trees, Limbs, and More | EGO (egopowerplus.com)

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

They can deliver to local dealer, it might be not as expensive as you think

12 minutes ago, David said:

I have been retiring all my ICE yard tools and replacing them with EGO power tools. Just solid and they last but without the engine noise, so I do not have to wear hearing protection.

Cordless Chain Saw Powers Through Trees, Limbs, and More | EGO (egopowerplus.com)

My yard is not huge, I have pretty much everything EGO now.  Didn't want to deal with smell of gas and noise.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Trying to figure out which is more insane from Facebook....the marketplace advertisement for a 67 Fairlane convertible clapped out and sans drivetrain for 40 Grand or the question in an overlanding forum I am part of asking about the most fuel efficient vehicle to overland antarctica.

Just curious...

Fuel efficiency where there are no gas stations is probably quite crucial, actually... 

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I cut good sized logs several times a week for my woodworking shop. I am thinking of adding a 4th chainsaw at some point. I have a small electric and a Stihl MS 170. I want something with a 24 or 25 inch bar length next.

Oh yeah, you cut too much and too often for an electric one. They're great for the average homeowner needing fallen branches and some bigger things up to 12" but that's about it. 

36 minutes ago, David said:

Oh yeah, all electric is the way to go. My yard it too big for an electric rider that I'd be willing to spend the money on yet but I know they're on their way. I think I'm going either Toro or Husqvarna. I'm yet to buy anything but I've been researching the crap out of them. I haven't read anything negative about EGO but there's just something about them that doesn't pull me in like the "ols school" brands do. I'll have to give them a look again because an electric push mower is one of the mandatory items they must make and EGO actually has a 30" push mower that would be fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have Black & Decker electric leaf blower, leaf vacuum/mulcher, string trimmer, and saw.  Most work pretty well, biggest irritation is the cord coming displugged and the cord tangling around my feet.  

I have an electric snow thrower, and it is disappointing as it it can’t seem to handle snow deeper than a foot or so.   

But I really don’t want to fool around w/ gas power tools;  having to carry a gas can in my Jeep would be disgusting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Fuel efficiency where there are no gas stations is probably quite crucial, actually... 

Oh yeah, you cut too much and too often for an electric one. They're great for the average homeowner needing fallen branches and some bigger things up to 12" but that's about it. 

I have used the EGO 18" bar to cut logs equal to the bar and it just rips through them. I see no down side to an EV Tree saw. Too easy to have multiple battery packs even if you live on a a 5 acre plot.

18 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Oh yeah, all electric is the way to go. My yard it too big for an electric rider that I'd be willing to spend the money on yet but I know they're on their way. I think I'm going either Toro or Husqvarna. I'm yet to buy anything but I've been researching the crap out of them. I haven't read anything negative about EGO but there's just something about them that doesn't pull me in like the "ols school" brands do. I'll have to give them a look again because an electric push mower is one of the mandatory items they must make and EGO actually has a 30" push mower that would be fantastic. 

I love my EGO push mower. I did buy the one with lights and driven wheels, but I love the workout so have not used the motors to drive the wheels, I have used the lights to mow as it is getting dark at night and worked great to cut the grass and no one was aware I was mowing. So nice and quiet compared to ICE mowers.

Big difference of EGO versus Toro, Husqvarna and others is the computer controller boards in the battery packs to keep all cells strong. I am at the 5 year mark on my batteries for the Mower, hedger, Weed Wacker, Blower, and saw. No loss of performance. In fact I love the blower, faster and easier at cleaning up the yard than a rake. 

EGO has intelligence built in to monitor and move power around the cells to insure none die and the battery stays in top condition when not being used. Worth checking out.

Ask me any questions as I am sold on EGO over everyone else.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, David said:

I have used the EGO 18" bar to cut logs equal to the bar and it just rips through them. I see no down side to an EV Tree saw. Too easy to have multiple battery packs even if you live on a a 5 acre plot.

I love my EGO push mower. I did buy the one with lights and driven wheels, but I love the workout so have not used the motors to drive the wheels, I have used the lights to mow as it is getting dark at night and worked great to cut the grass and no one was aware I was mowing. So nice and quiet compared to ICE mowers.

Big difference of EGO versus Toro, Husqvarna and others is the computer controller boards in the battery packs to keep all cells strong. I am at the 5 year mark on my batteries for the Mower, hedger, Weed Wacker, Blower, and saw. No loss of performance. In fact I love the blower, faster and easier at cleaning up the yard than a rake. 

EGO has intelligence built in to monitor and move power around the cells to insure non die and the battery stays in top condition when not being used. Worth checking out.

Ask me any questions as I am sold on EGO over everyone else.

The only downside would be runtime with electric vs gas when it comes to doing what sounds like quite a bit of "real work". I agree that electric stuff is phenomenal.

Seeming how I'm yet to buy anything, I'm reading more and more about EGO's line. It really does sound quite fantastic and there are hardly any negative reviews. 

My mower would certainly be self propelled but I can't seem to find the 30" electric mower anywhere anymore. I'm almost certain it was EGO who made it.

I'd ask which exact models do you have but I'd be willing to be they've been replaced by now as that stuff is very quickly changing. 

Edited by ccap41

9 hours ago, David said:

I am confused as Vancouver Island here which is a normal basic cost ferry ride from the US or from Vancouver city in British Columbia has a population of 870,000 plus citizens. There is a national park there and on the north end of the island plenty of cool camping stuff, hikes, water falls etc. to see.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Butchart Gardens

image.png

image.png

@David

Thank you for all these great photos.  Incredible.  I've never been to Vancouver Island (and Victoria), yet I've been to Vancouver (city) between 50 and 100 times.

I feel that the ferry ride from the principal ferry port (Tsawwassen, BC, I believe, south of the city of Vancouver) is a little expensive if you were to bring on a vehicle.  It was to me.  Sure, you can be a "walk aboard," but then it's a pain to get into Victoria and get around using transit.  On the other hand, doing the "walk aboard" on the WSF system from downtown Seattle to either Bremerton or Bainbridge is an incredible experience and "reasonably" priced.  You always want to take out of town guests on that for the incredible views and endless photos you can take.  I've even brought on my car a few decades ago and it was doable ($).  I haven't priced it lately.

Wow, just like WA, the population of British Columbia has boomed.  I remember when it had 3 million people.

I'm being a geek now ...

British Columbia - 4.6 million

Vancouver metro - 2.6 million

Vancouver city - almost 700,000, similar to Seattle

Vancouver Island - 870,000, like you said, but look at that land mass! About 370,000 of those folks live in the greater Victoria area, meaning most of the island - about the size of Idaho's panhandle - is not populated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The only downside would be runtime with electric vs gas when it comes to doing what sounds like quite a bit of "real work". I agree that electric stuff is phenomenal.

Seeming how I'm yet to buy anything, I'm reading more and more about EGO's line. It really does sound quite fantastic and there are hardly any negative reviews. 

My mower would certainly be self propelled but I can't seem to find the 30" electric mower anywhere anymore. I'm almost certain it was EGO who made it.

I'd ask which exact models do you have but I'd be willing to be they've been replaced by now as that stuff is very quickly changing. 

While I have some older models, it seems most are still being sold. I have the following models:

21" Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

530 CFM Cordless Lawn Blower by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

The Power of Gas, the Convenience of Multiple Tools | EGO (egopowerplus.com) I have the following heads:

• Extension pole
  • String Trimmer
  • Hedge Trimmer
  • Pole Saw

18" Cordless Chain Saw by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

As you can see, I am a believer in their product line. Works great, will never go back to ICE tools.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, David said:

While I have some older models, it seems most are still being sold. I have the following models:

21" Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

530 CFM Cordless Lawn Blower by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

The Power of Gas, the Convenience of Multiple Tools | EGO (egopowerplus.com) I have the following heads:

• Extension pole
  • String Trimmer
  • Hedge Trimmer
  • Pole Saw

18" Cordless Chain Saw by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

As you can see, I am a believer in their product line. Works great, will never go back to ICE tools.

Greenworks was the brand of the large electric push mower, 25 inches. I really thought it was a 30 inches like the Toro Timemaster. 

I’ll have to give those all a good look. It does seem that the more I look at them the better they appeal to me. Unfortunately, the mower I like is $650.. that’s a pretty penny for a push mower but the Toro and Husqvarna self propelled electric push mowers are about the same anyway. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Greenworks was the brand of the large electric push mower, 25 inches. I really thought it was a 30 inches like the Toro Timemaster. 

I’ll have to give those all a good look. It does seem that the more I look at them the better they appeal to me. Unfortunately, the mower I like is $650.. that’s a pretty penny for a push mower but the Toro and Husqvarna self propelled electric push mowers are about the same anyway. 

Greenworks is the brand of my snowthrower.  Got it on Amazon.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Which model of the EGO mower are you looking at, I see mine can be purchased on Amazon for $429.99 which is cheaper than what I paid years back.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I have an EGO mower it is fantastic.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Same deal as electric cars.
It's great, it's quiet, it's double the price.
Husquevarna 16" gas chainsaw : $180
Ego 16" chainsaw : $300.

All depends on what you want to budget for something. 

I would be willing to pay for an electric chainsaw (a second more powerful one) because I could cut wood later in the evening without bothering my neighbors.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Same deal as electric cars.
It's great, it's quiet, it's double the price.
Husquevarna 16" gas chainsaw : $180
Ego 16" chainsaw : $300.

All depends on what you want to budget for something. 

I think Diesel trucks hit a good price compromise. After owning a Diesel Jetta I really want to own a diesel truck.

Motor Trend, Nov 1979 :
Saab 900 Turbo ~
wheelbase 99", OL 187", curb weight 2760 (!!!), 4-spd manual, 3.89 axle, 121CI turbo/injected I-4.
HP 135 @ 5500, TRQ 160 @ 3500.
0-60 : 9.8, 1/4 mile: 17.2 @ 81.
Pontiac Trans Am Turbo ~
WB 108", OL 198", curb weight 3673, 3-spd auto, 2.56 axle (!!!), 301 CI turbo/4bbl V8.
HP 210 @ 4000, TRQ 345 @ 2000.
0-60 : 8.0, 1/4 mile: 16.5

Had an article on the available turbo cars that year. In addition to the above, it was the
Buick Century Turbo
Buick Regal Turbo
Buick LeSabre Sport Coupe
Buick Riviera S
Chevy Monte Carlo
Ford Mustang Cobra
Ford Fairmont
Merc Capri Turbo
Merc Zephyr
Porsche 924 Turbo and
Mercedes 300SD. Here, the turbo raised the unblown diesel's 77 HP to a whopping 110.

- - - - -
Car & Driver Jan 1979 :
Pontiac Trans Am ~
WB 108", OL 198", curb weight 3700, 4-spd man, 3.23 axle, 400 CI 4bbl V8.
HP 220 @ 4000, TRQ 320 @ 2800.
0-60 : 6.7, 1/4 mile: 15.3 @ 97.