Random Thoughts Thread

I think the avalanche would look badass like that. 

Prefer kind of purposeful wheels on any kind of truck or SUV that is used for cosntruction, offroad, etc. 

Love the simple basic vibe of this Jeep Rubicon. 

XMA Header Image

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

No, actually I think they can look fine. and for a vehicle that is going to see construction sites, off road use, or b e driven in the third world-outside of roads that are good like what we ahve in North america....Steel wheels can be bent back into shape by a mechanic in Guatamala with a second grade education, just like they can be bent back into shape by a rural Amish blacksmith with an 8th grade education, or replaced cheaply if you live in a place like Detroit and bend one on a pothole. 

Actually love the Bronco look with steel wheels. 

Big wheel and tire combos are over rated. I even prefer the look of wranglers on 33's rather than 37's. 

I am slomost to the point that I just like black wheels the best on any vehicle. If I ahd money, I would swap out the alloy silver wheels on my ranger for black ones. 

Yep, i think the 100% functionality of them is what I like. They're built tough, look tough, and are meant to do work rather than just look pretty. 

I mean, isn't that one reason we like highly capable vehicles whether its Corvette ZR1's, Wranglers Rubicons, 911 GT3 RS's? 

Have your OEM wheels powder coated for a few hundred bucks..? 

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was actually looking at some retro steel wheels for my Avalanche to run snow tires with this morning after we were chatting about the Defender.

8-spoke-white-red-blue-stripe_1.jpg

These with some Blizzacks on 17s on my 'Lanche?   Could be fun. 

That would look pretty damn awesome. I would very much prefer those without the pinstripe, but the style and white would look awesome on your Avalanche. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

His Jeep has been remarkably good to him. 96k miles and just general wear and tear items plus one water pump which I taught him how to replace a couple weeks ago. 

IMG_3074.JPEG

I was referring more to the Land Rover, hence the London troll lol.

As a gag, looked at the Rivian R1T configurator.

This 'new normal' where everything beyond 2 colors is $1500 extra is REE-DICK-U-LUSS. [Emphasis on 'dick']. So there's like almost no options, but as I abhor extremely light colors, I had to click on a $1500 surcharge to get a non-light color.

$69 grand for a truck with a Gladiator-size bed, and a useless 'cargo tunnel' I can't think of a use for. Rivian is officially out for me.

• Agree 2

I checked out the configurator for Rivian R1S.  Spec'd out a 5-seat in Forest Green w/ green interior, Adventure package.   $81k... love the green interior and exterior, but if I were shopping in 2021, I'd get another Grand Cherokee for $30k less...

• Agree 2

On 11/24/2020 at 8:46 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Why do you hate choice?

You can't see the fact that "choice" is being TAKEN AWAY from the general public with this move?  GM is basically extorting their dealers into a binary "choice" of either spend BIG money to switch over to selling an all-EV product line that is totally alien to what Cadillac customers want to buy, or GTFO.  WHAT CHOICE do Cadillac dealers have when they're being STRONG-ARMED by Barra into spending big money for a dubious EV transition and an absolutely diminished return on that investment?  GM is saying "spend a million dollars on your facility and expect to sell FAR fewer units.  Or eff off.  Your choice."

Surreal, you're so right, I'm shiverin' in my boots.  :rolleyes:

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

This 'new normal' where everything beyond 2 colors is $1500 extra is REE-DICK-U-LUSS. [Emphasis on 'dick']. So there's like almost no options, but as I abhor extremely light colors, I had to click on a $1500 surcharge to get a non-light color.

$69 grand for a truck with a Gladiator-size bed, and a useless 'cargo tunnel' I can't think of a use for. Rivian is officially out for me.

Although to be fair I love the Gladiator

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dude in photo looks like he's solely responsible for that "massive methane release".  PUT A CORK IN IT, CORNHOLIO!

Just the sort of scientific mature response I thought you would give. 

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I checked out the configurator for Rivian R1S.  Spec'd out a 5-seat in Forest Green w/ green interior, Adventure package.   $81k... love the green interior and exterior, but if I were shopping in 2021, I'd get another Grand Cherokee for $30k less...

I can spec out a GC I really like for about 36 large

Base model with an off road package that includes several skid plates and a towing package.

But then I can get a Gladiator or Unlimited Wrangler or Bronco for the same coin. Choices.

• Agree 1

Well it's Mary Barra's "choice" to throw Cadillac away, certainly not mine.  And if you think I'm the only one who thinks this way, go over to the newfangled thing they call "Facebook" and you will see plenty of negative comments regarding Barra's "choice" on this matter.

Given GM and the products of a lot of the 80 s and 90 s they have been throwing Cadillac away for decades.

Why do you think Benz and BMW sell so many cars?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Thankfully you won't have to worry they are supply constrained until 2023.

Waiting to see a cybertruck with a ladder rack and Jersey plates in your driveway.

It would look good there. And keep the B59 warm at night. What's not to love?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Although to be fair I love the Gladiator

Just the sort of scientific mature response I thought you would give. 

I can spec out a GC I really like for about 36 large

Base model with an off road package that includes several skid plates and a towing package.

But then I can get a Gladiator or Unlimited Wrangler or Bronco for the same coin. Choices.

Yeah, Laredos are in that range.  My current one is a Limited, my next would be an Overland or a Summit.  Though another CPO makes more sense than new.  But it’s all hypothetical since my ‘14 only has 49k.  I really don’t see myself shopping for at least another 3-5 years.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, Laredos are in that range.  My current one is a Limited, my next would be an Overland or a Summit.  Though another CPO makes more sense than new.  But it’s all hypothetical since my ‘14 only has 49k.  

Does yours have the 8 speed?

A 14 would be really affordable as a driveway mate for the Ranger. Want something that can tow.

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Does yours have the 8 speed?

A 14 would be really affordable as a driveway mate for the Ranger. Want something that can tow.

Yes, 8 speed.  They have changed very little since then. Cosmetic changes to the front, the 3.6 got vvt and stop/start in ‘16 IIRC.  The main features I’d want from a newer one would be Apple Car Play and a couple features from the higher trims like the pano roof (I have the regular sunroof which is fine) and the heated/cooled seats (I have heated seats). I really can’t complain about anything w/ mine...it’s comfortable around town, on short road trips and cross country road trips...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well it's Mary Barra's "choice" to throw Cadillac away, certainly not mine.  And if you think I'm the only one who thinks this way, go over to the newfangled thing they call "Facebook" and you will see plenty of negative comments regarding Barra's "choice" on this matter.

Thank you for explaining the big problem, FAKEBOOK, amazing how many people think what is posted there is actual news and intelligence. Hard Pass on that piece of crap social network failure.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Waiting to see a cybertruck with a ladder rack and Jersey plates in your driveway.

That would have to happen after I'm dead and another family lives here.
Tesla picl-up is the ugliest production-threatened vehicle I've ever seen.
I'd rather drive the '58 Aurora.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That would have to happen after I'm dead and another family lives here.
Tesla picl-up is the ugliest production-threatened vehicle I've ever seen.
I'd rather drive the '58 Aurora.

Hey if I can change my mind and drive a Ford you can change your mind and drive a Cybertruck

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hey if I can change my mind and drive a Ford you can change your mind and drive a Cybertruck

Cyber truck reminds me of the DeLorean, 1 and done for sure.

I would expect a much more normal truck that that POS that supposedly had non-breakable glass, oops, it broke. Rear seats sitting in a hole, So many things wrong with that truck.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, David said:

Thank you for explaining the big problem, FAKEBOOK, amazing how many people think what is posted there is actual news and intelligence. Hard Pass on that piece of crap social network failure.

These are comments from people, opinions just like yours.  WHAT are you talking about.

These are comments from people, opinions just like yours.  WHAT are you talking about.

Opinions are like assholes...the things filling your opinion file are rather ridgid....

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Florida Man.   

Maybe there should be a war on hallucinagenic drugs after all. 

127660014_10223723072640688_1393835630372792885_o.jpg

You could see this thing from the international space station....

• Agree 2

the-real-thanksgiving.png

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I learned a long time ago to not read Facebook comments as they are generally from people who are unhinged and/or without a firm grasp on reality. A bunch of keyboard warriors who can barely make the payment on their '15 Malibu are not Cadillac's target market. 

If Cadillac makes a product with a powertrain equal or greater than Tesla and actually puts some style back in their vehicles (unlike the puke worthy stuff they have out now - excepting remaining CT6 and '21 Escalade) then I'll be back in the Cadillac camp.... but they've gotta make the vehicles look GREAT. 

Well spoken. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, Laredos are in that range.  My current one is a Limited, my next would be an Overland or a Summit.  Though another CPO makes more sense than new.  But it’s all hypothetical since my ‘14 only has 49k.  I really don’t see myself shopping for at least another 3-5 years.  

You'll probably be shopping for the new platform by the time you're ready to trade, so everything you know about the current vehicle will be out the window. 

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The one I specd out was $79,500 in Forest Green w/Green Interior and 7 seats. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You'll probably be shopping for the new platform by the time you're ready to trade, so everything you know about the current vehicle will be out the window. 

Maybe...or a 3 yr old CPO 2021 in 2024...  looking forward to seeing how the new one turns out, but I wouldn't want a first year one. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

@ocnblu Did you see the new color for Jeep for 2021?

iris.jpg

That looks fantastic. Sorry it's not available on the Wrangler or Gladiator.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ah, relying on Facebook as a barometer for your EV claim. Sounds legit lol. As far as Cadillac being thrown away, you should have been worried about that starting forty plus years ago when they started peddling one failed model after another but yeah, it’s them going EV that somehow ruins the brand (heavy use of sarcasm intended here for those “cerebral” types).

And No one is asking you to shiver in your boots. However, you should feel like a hypocrite because that is a far more accurate assessment. Making light of Americans losing their jobs shows just how petty your ridiculous argument towards EVs really is. I don’t want to ever see another post by you proclaiming “America first”.

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I learned a long time ago to not read Facebook comments as they are generally from people who are unhinged and/or without a firm grasp on reality. A bunch of keyboard warriors who can barely make the payment on their '15 Malibu are not Cadillac's target market. 

If Cadillac makes a product with a powertrain equal or greater than Tesla and actually puts some style back in their vehicles (unlike the puke worthy stuff they have out now - excepting remaining CT6 and '21 Escalade) then I'll be back in the Cadillac camp.... but they've gotta make the vehicles look GREAT. 

THIS and then some!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The one I specd out was $79,500 in Forest Green w/Green Interior and 7 seats. 

I like the Gold on the Rivian....and regardless of features, I like the idea of a clean used Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle. 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

126059788_10159012709554581_300507894617

126025665_10159001577969581_760341569693

125969172_10159001577904581_517740105614

125450029_10158997243619581_561579711536

125441900_10158997243594581_915254738147

I so want a T bucket....this one is cool. 

122246712_10158944090849581_684782691161

Still the best looking Post WW 2 ASmerican car, the 58 to 62 Corvette. Can't get enough of these. 

121650187_10158926058054581_909366279086

121495067_10158926058044581_268472638685

• Agree 1

You can't beat a vintage Chevy truck in black...

120281118_10158889525204581_859509567916

120467129_10158889525159581_804979967435

More VW goodness...

120289520_10158889524704581_521558414106

120663017_10158889524689581_318087463462

120344240_10158889524634581_452209443028

120597255_10158889524609581_295285539779

119943579_10158870448614581_783628739756

120114694_10158870448594581_115468134805

Sweet El Camino...

119520821_10158855420144581_670558176791

The 65-70 Mustang fastback is #2 on my list for psot WW 2 American cars, convertibles are not far behind. 

119590079_10158849214304581_612232331059

I love all things Jeep...

119513522_10158849047819581_835738436045

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

127660014_10223723072640688_1393835630372792885_o.jpg

Hmm.....a couple ideas for adding light to my Cavalier.... 😉  Though the tail light one is cool....

And as much as I hear of “All EV” future, it is not going to happen. It would take 20 years, maybe more to junk even half the ICE cars out there. And there are still things a EV can’t so yet, like Survive extreme temps....

I see maybe a 60/40 tops in the ICE/EV amounts. It’s going to take a while before prices will be down enough for the general public tp buy, or simply build a used EV market.

• Agree 3

Winnebago-EKKO-RV-Ford-Transit-Exterior-

https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/all-new-winnebago-ekko-camper-van-is-based-on-the-ford-transit/

Serious air time with both cars in chase, painful to watch finned Mopar destroyed at the end. 

More Rivan developments...

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I couldn't really tell, thanks for clairfying that for me. 

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

'57 Lincoln, but yeah 😫

Here is your dead finned mopar in a car chase, 59 second mark....

On a happier Mopar note...

Too good not to share.