Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just talked to the finance manager at my local GMC dealer (called 2 mins before closing)- after a bit of conversation he told me what Horsey told me 'just order the truck'.
Also said they'll go 250 miles to get a vehicle; no farther.
And Employee pricing (running thru 1/4/21) isn't good on ordered trucks.
8-10 weeks to come in.

I am actually now trying to get a vehicle from North Carolina and they said they will ship it to me for $900.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just talked to the finance manager at my local GMC dealer (called 2 mins before closing)- after a bit of conversation he told me what Horsey told me 'just order the truck'.
Also said they'll go 250 miles to get a vehicle; no farther.
And Employee pricing (running thru 1/4/21) isn't good on ordered trucks.
8-10 weeks to come in.

Sadly, that was the way I was told if I want anything different than what is ordered. GM seems to want GM dealerships to order stuff in a certain way, in bulk.

Have a co worker who simply wanted a basic Equinox L in silver ( he was paying mostly cash for it) and was told he would have to order it. Any Ls on the lot were only for businesses......

• Agree 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, riviera74 said:

Hurricanes and alligators: just two occupational hazards that come with living down here.

As for the hurricanes, at least they warn you.  They're working on earthquake prediction.

I've heard that, unless provoked or their space is invaded, alligators don't seek to interact with humans.  I know Floridians who, except for maybe in a zoo, have never seen one.  Nonetheless, I would never walk a dog, or even myself, right next to a freshwater body of water anywhere in the Southeast that is their habitat.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, balthazar said:

Of course; that's FINE. You, as a representative of the market, have 'spoken' with your purchase. And that's how a market is composed; of millions of individual choices. But no consumer market is composed of a single product (that I can think of).

Where I come in is; not everyone can afford or WANT to pay 'the extra price' for what they get.

Yet while you have not replaced your blade for a sharp one, oil change or spark plugs, plenty of people do that annually or bi-annually as there would not be the home call service business. 

If these people broke down what they pay for gas, maintenance, etc. and compared it to the higher cost EV mowers which are significantly quieter also, they pay for themselves in the savings long term.

I agree it is great that we have choices. I for one look at how long I usually hold onto a tool and use it and the costs to maintain it and I see savings on top of not having to wear ear muffs for the ICE noise. On top of this the average person does not do the maintenance you do or others here do on their auto's, tools, etc. Most people like @A Horse With No Name gain some benefit from doing their yard work. I enjoy the workout, but I am glad to not have to mess with fueling, oil, etc.

You stated a $1000 for an EV Mower, I actually looked it up and paid $550 for mine and 5 years with zero maintenance other than some very cheap electric charging to run and it still is going strong. I say the EV mower is better than a cheap $200 ice mower IMHO.

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

Well, I'm sure GM encourages dealers to inventory what SELLS.
Base models don't, much.

I expect the future is going to see less & less lot inventory, even tho the guy I talked to expressed frustration at the level it's at now.

I also think we will go to more demo models at the dealers and more ordering what one wants than to have a ton of lot inventory. The internet and Amazon is making people re-think how they shop.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, David said:

OUCH ,something is up at Ford. Bummer for the Contractors.

https://www.wallstreetreporter.com/2020/12/ford-motor-co-cuts-contract-workers-effective-immediately-ends-buyout-period-for-salaried-employees/

Ski season started and I got 10 runs in, q8 miles covered. Safety was top notch and you have to be fully covered at all times.

20201205_090706.jpg

20201205_090319.jpg

20201205_090220.jpg

I haven't skied in a LONG time.  I'm not even sure if I miss it.  I liked it when I was doing it, as an intermediate of sorts (blue runs).  Not only that, the prices are now insane.

I don't understand the mask thing while on the runs.  People have their own space.  I would hope that someone with Covid is as asymptomatic as to send them skiing.  But I can see putting the mask back on while approaching and boarding a lift.

Just one comment:  I feel that I'm in the minority for strongly disliking fiercely sunny skies when a place is full of snow, and I especially dislike them when on skis.  It's more comfortable to ski under overcast skies.  My two cents.

Nice photos!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I haven't skied in a LONG time.  I'm not even sure if I miss it.  I liked it when I was doing it, as an intermediate of sorts (blue runs).  Not only that, the prices are now insane.

I don't understand the mask thing while on the runs.  People have their own space.  I would hope that someone with Covid is as asymptomatic as to send them skiing.  But I can see putting the mask back on while approaching and boarding a lift.

Just one comment:  I feel that I'm in the minority for strongly disliking fiercely sunny skies when a place is full of snow, and I especially dislike them when on skis.  It's more comfortable to ski under overcast skies.  My two cents.

Nice photos!

I love skiing all days even what we call Blue Bird days like this weekend. Lucky, snow returns tomorrow and normal cold rain for Seattle.

I would miss skiing if I could not do it. Just great freedom. The ski resorts do say you can put down your face covering during the run, but must have it on at all times when in the resort area, lift areas and at the top of the lift areas. I see no difference in breathing, so I just keep it on during the run. Warmer face. I do look forward to some powder days. But for the first time up, great to get back in the grove on a sugar run day with Blue Bird conditions. The mountains are amazing from the runs.

This is from ridding up Mills Creek, a 3 person chair normally. The views are like this from all over the mountain.

image.png

This is from the Top of Khers Chair overlooking the lower resort area. Mountain at the Top Left corner is Cowboys Ridge, Single to triple black diamond, but amazing on a powder day. Beginners and intermediate is at the bottom and to the right in the photo.

image.png

Map of the base ski area, more on the back side.

image.png

From last year, it is supposed to be like this, this coming weekend.

Snag_84767a46.png

• Agree 2

Love you guys like brothers... sometimes dysfunction brothers...but brothers.

Drove to Michigan to see a cousin my age in hospice with Ovarian Cancer and had a mostly good trip. Detroit has a fantastic NPR station and Alma is a neat small town. But got mild food poisoning from the drive thru I got a burger at on the way back home.

Doing much better with a bit of rest. First road trip with the Ranger and I am happy I bought it.

Hey.... Balthazar...just buy the damned truck... nothing like a new truck...

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 12.28.32 AM.png

Getting in my modified Delorean with a cash payment...sure hope that Cadillac can hit 88 miles an hour in front of the courthouse because Marty McFly and I are bringing it back to December 2020.

• Agree 1

As for 🎿 ski stuff...lot of guys I used to autocross with also enjoyed skiing. Similar set of mental thoughts. One Well known Miata autocross dude was an Olympic skiier...forget his name.

Life is to short to do everything. Right now I am fighting the urge to buy a motorcycle.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, ykX said:

I am actually now trying to get a vehicle from North Carolina and they said they will ship it to me for $900.

Or just road trip it and pick it up if it is road worthy. Highway miles can be enjoyable if one doesn't get a burger from a certain fast food restaurant off of I 96 in Michigan...!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Or just road trip it and pick it up if it is road worthy

I would love to do this if it was under different circumstances.  But it is a two day trip and with the Covid and everything I can't really do it at the moment.  

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would love to do this if it was under different circumstances.  But it is a two day trip and with the Covid and everything I can't really do it at the moment.  

I can appreciate that...

The new cutting board I just made...

No photo description available.

(Sarcam and humor....)

Humming bird and bumble bees sharing a water fountain...

Image may contain: text that says 'Some lucky photographer in California captured a hummingbird sharing a water fountain with 4 bumble bees!!!'

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 12.28.32 AM.png

Cool building, for its day, with its curve in brick ... this could either be a sunny day in Wisconsin ... or a blistering humid day in Alabama.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Explains a lot....

128445494_10222576937028579_967191237887

I've never thought about it this way.  I first saw the word in Reader's Digest, of all places, thought it was an interesting multisyllabic word, but didn't really understand what it meant.  I think I was about 11.

• Agree 2

On 12/4/2020 at 5:24 PM, balthazar said:

Is there a 'good for the money' battery mower?

Certainly. If you already have a cordless line of work tools, there's likely a mower that'll use the same battery. You can certainly find an electric push mower in the $2-400 if you're just looking to get an electric mower. 

• Agree 2

On 12/4/2020 at 11:24 PM, balthazar said:

It's not that I have an 'issue' with a gas mower maintenance, it's simply that there's basically none to do. They run forever. A can of gas lasts me all year. A spark plug and blade last 10. And gas mowers "leak fluids" about as often as electrics 'leak acids and spew ozone' from the arcing motors. It's a lot of nonsense. But you go ahead and justify your $1000 push mower any way you need to.

How is there zero maintenance on mowers? You at least need to winterize them and change the oil once a year. If you insist on not winterizing them in any way, I'm sure starting it in the spring is waaaaay easier than just pulling the handle bar to engage the blade(s). 

Then add in your string trimmer and leaf blower and you now have 2 stroke gas/oil to deal with. 

• Agree 2

On 12/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, trinacriabob said:

I'm usually not a fan of things presented in posh English (think Robin Leach's "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"), but this is well done, as are the photography and the topic.

In Florida, their population is such that there is about 1 alligator for every 20 people.

Sink your teeth into that.

My nieces got out of the pool a few weeks ago because one showed up at the golf course the pool was at....they are everywhere. 

18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Certainly. If you already have a cordless line of work tools, there's likely a mower that'll use the same battery. You can certainly find an electric push mower in the $2-400 if you're just looking to get an electric mower. 

The intagibles of it being quieter would make me pay $100-200 more for an electric. Plus if my wife mows, she isn't coming in to get me if she has trouble getting it started. Electric is dead nuts reliable. 

We use battery powered leaf blowers and such with student workers here on campus. So much nicer and queiter. Blowling leafs and such....clearing sidewalks...much quieter outside of a classroom with class in session. 

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

How is there zero maintenance on mowers? You at least need to winterize them and change the oil once a year. If you insist on not winterizing them in any way, I'm sure starting it in the spring is waaaaay easier than just pulling the handle bar to engage the blade(s). 

Then add in your string trimmer and leaf blower and you now have 2 stroke gas/oil to deal with. 

Car, truck, two chainsaws to deal with. Thinking of a small motorcycle at some point....that's enough ICE for me to deal with. 

1 hour ago, David said:

🤔 All the Atheists I know either have dogs, a far superior pet or none at all like me! :P :D 

I love both....cats and dogs. I would own a dog but I am too busy to spend the required time with it. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Just in it for the close up look at the rig...

This really looks like it belongs in Vinton County Ohio...

129517878_10218423970169848_235083036654

This never gets old....love old Chevy's....

129443781_10218780898582402_800419797493

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 1:10 AM, balthazar said:

Well, I'm sure GM encourages dealers to inventory what SELLS.
Base models don't, much.

I expect the future is going to see less & less lot inventory, even tho the guy I talked to expressed frustration at the level it's at now.

There has been talk at GM in cost savings to only keep the LT and Premier trims around starting mid 2021. This allows savings while giving customers all the stuff they want....

Granted, I happen to like not having a loaded car.....

https://www.wallstreetreporter.com/2020/12/ford-motor-co-cuts-contract-workers-effective-immediately-ends-buyout-period-for-salaried-employees/

You already know what is coming next....

Lots of job loss in the auto industry.... 😞 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My nieces got out of the pool a few weeks ago because one showed up at the golf course the pool was at....they are everywhere. 

I love both....cats and dogs. I would own a dog but I am too busy to spend the required time with it. 

Gators are goofy.  They seem somewhat oblivious to humans, but I wouldn't take it for granted.  Look how often animal control is called to remove them from backyard pools.

- - - - -

I am agonizing over what kind of dog to get sooner than later - mini Australian Shepherd, smaller Border Collie, Shetland Sheepdog, or a larger Bernese Mountain Dog?  All great breeds.  And, yes, I like some cats, too.  There is an all black one in my complex that invites itself over upon seeing me.  It already has a home.  However, it has marked me.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'57 Star Chief, began barn slumber in 1968.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.10.43 PM.png

Hopefully getting saved...

3 minutes ago, David said:

I am currently totally loving the Labradoodle. Soft, does not shed, good personality and hypo allergenic if you have friends with allergies. Great over all medium size dog.

I have no idea what breed I would get.

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

There has been talk at GM in cost savings to only keep the LT and Premier trims around starting mid 2021. This allows savings while giving customers all the stuff they want....

Granted, I happen to like not having a loaded car.....

You already know what is coming next....

Lots of job loss in the auto industry.... 😞 

It's going to have a ripple effect on the economy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

6CEC3908-F2C5-466F-986F-CA4BEAF546D7.jpeg

Or this '51 Chieftain Deluxe dropped with the skirts on. Beauty!

A KUSTOM BOMB – ADAM WOODHAMS'S 1951 PONTIAC CHIEFTAIN DELUXE 2-DOOR SEDAN  | Pontiac chieftain, Pontiac cars, Pontiac

Or original factory stance '52 Deluxe

1952 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe 2-door sedan - only 45,000 miles!

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Re: dogs---some friends of mine that live in downtown Columbus in a condo recently got an Australian Cattle Dog puppy...they get to about 35 pounds.   Interesting looking dog, they apparently don't shed much..often have blue eyes.

bigstock-Heeler-Pup-2101571.jpg

Speaking of dogs, our pack is doing fine..Henry (golden Yorkie) recently turned 14,  Ginny (tiny Yorkie) is 12, and the younger ones are fine (Raine--Australian Terrier mix, and Beardsley--something mix)..  also took a couple pics today of a squirrel on my patio wall...

IMG-4666.jpg

IMG-4670.jpg

IMG-4673.jpg

IMG-4674.jpg

Awww....

Find it kinda funny that my dogs are around me like that when I am on facebook..... 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Re: dogs---some friends of mine that live in downtown Columbus in a condo recently got an Australian Cattle Dog puppy...they get to about 35 pounds.   Interesting looking dog, they apparently don't shed much..often have blue eyes.

Speaking of dogs, our pack is doing fine..Henry (golden Yorkie) recently turned 14,  Ginny (tiny Yorkie) is 12, and the younger ones are fine (Raine--Australian Terrier mix, and Beardsley--something mix)..  also took a couple pics today of a squirrel on my patio wall...

IMG-4666.jpg

IMG-4670.jpg

IMG-4673.jpg

IMG-4674.jpg

Ooohhh....you have some MCM modern furniture as well. Need to look into that dog breed your friend in Columbus has. 

8 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Or this '51 Chieftain Deluxe dropped with the skirts on. Beauty!

A KUSTOM BOMB – ADAM WOODHAMS'S 1951 PONTIAC CHIEFTAIN DELUXE 2-DOOR SEDAN  | Pontiac chieftain, Pontiac cars, Pontiac

Or original factory stance '52 Deluxe

1952 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe 2-door sedan - only 45,000 miles!

You won a huge amount of respect from me with this post. I love GM cars from this era. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

I am speechless....

• Agree 1

Stupidity...motorcyclist fails to secure load...another driver stops to pick it up....girl on cell phone rear ends driver. It is a wonder more accidents don't happen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

IMG-4666.jpg

IMG-4670.jpg

IMG-4673.jpg

IMG-4674.jpg

That is a Fat Squirrel.

Wishing your friend with the Australian cattle dog all the best. Great dogs, but very high strung and energetic. They need room to run. I know this as my other sister has one with freaking crazy light blue eyes and that dog runs all over the house and their yard. Wish I could bottle the energy as that dog bread is bred to run big time.

Your Troop of dogs are looking good Robert! :D 

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Lovely, Simply Loverly.

Question for you Yoda of Old Metal. 

Did Cadillac ever have this kind of Hood Ornament? I have looked and did not find any, but these are sexy as hell and wish more auto's would have them.

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Awww....

Find it kinda funny that my dogs are around me like that when I am on facebook..... 🙂 

Selfie time I say! :P 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Stupidity...motorcyclist fails to secure load...another driver stops to pick it up....girl on cell phone rear ends driver. It is a wonder more accidents don't happen. 

Wonder if he edited the video showing he was going over 90 MPH at the beginning as that would be reckless driving. So many questionable things. Nice sounding guy, but come on, responsibility is there for him. 

Interesting posts, thanks for posting.

• Agree 1