Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

Today was my second time on the Mountain for Ski Season. Awesome, 12 runs made, 21.5 miles skied. Was a Perfect Blue Bird day and more snow comes in tonight! Epic requires total coverage to keep everyone including the employees safe. As such, I am only happy to oblige so that I can enjoy skiing the mountain.

20201212_090513.jpg20201212_101718.jpg20201212_102603.jpg20201212_103305.jpg

Mr. Brooks and Mrs. Daisy Sasquatch are having a good day! 

Last Saturday was Opening day of Skiing and it was excellent on all the signage and safety they had.

20201205_090319.jpg

20201205_090330.jpg

20201205_090220.jpg

20201205_090706.jpg

Bug Man skiing! :P 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Forgot to mention, Last Friday I choose to surprise my wife by redoing our bedroom. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

So I emptied it out, prepped it, Textured the room and repainted it along with an Accent Wall and then moved everything back in. She was very happy, I got it all done in 6 days and still managed to keep my skiing reservations.

20201206_152734.jpg

20201207_153941.jpg

20201209_213826.jpg20201210_072253.jpg20201210_072328.jpg

• Agree 4

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

“Textured”...??

Yes, the house was built in 1952. I bought it in 1999 off the Foreclosed list and gutted it and then updated to modern commercial standards of electrical, Copper water through out and then insulated and sheet rocked it and did a basic tape / mud of the walls and then used Smokers Sealer paint so the whole house was just basic white for about 15 years. Then in 2015 I started to take room by room and do a medium splatter texture. Used my Home Depot gun I bought in 2015 and have textured everywhere in the house and updated with new paints. Our bedroom was the last room to be textured and then painted.

Wal-Board Tools Texture-Pro 200 Hopper Gun with 3 Spray Tips-52-020 - The Home Depot

Works great with my air compressor I have.

Starting off 2021 with the house about 95% complete. The wife asked me if I could update the Laundry room, so have started to remove everything so I can update it to be modern. She wants a stand up shower there for coming in from the yard and just have it updated with some additional shelves and new utility sink. If I can get it all done, then 2021 will start with the house 100% done. I am sure she will think of other things. :P 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Today was my second time on the Mountain for Ski Season. Awesome, 12 runs made, 21.5 miles skied. Was a Perfect Blue Bird day and more snow comes in tonight! Epic requires total coverage to keep everyone including the employees safe. As such, I am only happy to oblige so that I can enjoy skiing the mountain.

20201212_090513.jpg20201212_101718.jpg20201212_102603.jpg20201212_103305.jpg

Mr. Brooks and Mrs. Daisy Sasquatch are having a good day! 

Last Saturday was Opening day of Skiing and it was excellent on all the signage and safety they had.

20201205_090319.jpg

20201205_090330.jpg

20201205_090220.jpg

20201205_090706.jpg

Bug Man skiing! :P 

Still way too warm for us here... but I can't wait for my first ski trip of the year. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I've worn Columbia fleece for probably 20 years..love their stuff...used to shop at REI when I lived in Colorado...North Face is good for the heavy winter parka stuff particularly.   

I’m really liking the Omni heat ones from Columbia, and NF lighter coats....both are toasty!

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Just about finished with my bathroom.

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

That looks Awesome Blu! :D 

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Still way too warm for us here... but I can't wait for my first ski trip of the year. 

Sounds like a Good Avalanche road trip! :D 

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 5:06 PM, balthazar said:

Have an appointment Tuesday at a nearby dealer to have a KBB evaluation on my 2500HD.

Prep work for New Truck Time.

As mentioned in other thread- cancelling that KBB appointment. Going to see about stopping in at my local dealer tomm and starting The Talk.

• Agree 3

Seems February we should see the all new Mitsubishi Outlander according to the latest story from The Truth about cars.

Mitsubishi Teases New Outlander, Schedules Arrival for February (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Mitsubishi teaser released.

image.png

Funny Read, seems Scotland gives their snowplows names. Great list.

Great Scot! Scotland Gives Its Snowplows—All of Them—Hilarious Names (motortrend.com)

I have toyed with the idea of building my own, have made some sketches, went the funeral home to get the basic dimensions. Not car-oriented, different woods, cast iron tub claw feet, with a bunch of tiny drawers in the rear wall. Going to have a barrel of rusty metal by the door, and viewers can scatter a handful in my box as they filter by (if anyone shows). I just don't have the room to store it if I do.

Learned my local Cadillac dealer is NOT one of the 150+ that opted out, so they're staying in the game. Salesman was telling me of the some of the upgrades- neither the Chevy-Cadillac dealer, or the Buick-GMC store across the street has chargers right now, so dedicated lines have to be installed, set up the logistics of having cars come in to charge.

He said GMC is getting one of the Hummer Edition Ones, and there's a whole register/verify/deposit thing before you can even test drive it. Also said they have to install a stronger lift, because all they have is 8000lb lifts, so apparently the Hummer EV is going to curb well above 8K. Amazing considering a Yukon is what- 6000?

• Thanks 2

One of Sicily's most mercurial citizens, going by the name of Mt. Etna, has erupted today.

They say that the suburban towns of the island's second largest city situated further down on its slopes are not in any danger.  Still, I would not live on the slopes of Mt. Etna.  You can live in towns further away and have postcard views of it instead.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Learned my local Cadillac dealer is NOT one of the 150+ that opted out, so they're staying in the game. Salesman was telling me of the some of the upgrades- neither the Chevy-Cadillac dealer, or the Buick-GMC store across the street has chargers right now, so dedicated lines have to be installed, set up the logistics of having cars come in to charge.

He said GMC is getting one of the Hummer Edition Ones, and there's a whole register/verify/deposit thing before you can even test drive it. Also said they have to install a stronger lift, because all they have is 8000lb lifts, so apparently the Hummer EV is going to curb well above 8K. Amazing considering a Yukon is what- 6000?

WOW, I am surprised they have not updated Lifts sooner as the current 2021 Yukon is 5998 lbs curb weight and gross weight of 7700 lbs. I would not want my SUV on those weak lifts. 

I expect the Hummer Edition One to be around 7500 lbs.

8000 lbs isn't a failure weight, but a safety 'buffer' point. 7000 lbs would be fine on a 8000 lb lift. Hummer has to be over 8000 base weight.
My buddy has a shop with (3) 2-post lifts. I helped him install all 3, and I believe one is 12K lbs. 5-6 years later and nothing's broken, came loose or cracked.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stories today. First is on the top 10 wipers. I use what is rated #1 Bosch wipers and am interested in what others use and why?

For me Bosch last about 2 years for me on an auto along with using RainX on the windshields. Just seems to be a superior super clean wipe.

10 best wiper blades for 2020 - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

The other interesting story is the all new GM 3D printing and Development Center.

This is a 15,000 sqft center with 24 3D printers that can produce both metal and polymers 3D parts. One of the biggest questions by people is, is this not just a hobby by computer nerds and how can it hold up to industrial use? Answer is that this process has shown to reduce on average in metal parts by 14 welds and 32% less weight. An example of this is the Aluminum oil tank and inlet assembly on the 2021 Chevrolet Corvette C8 auto. 

Additional benefit is how fast 3D printing allows prototyping in comparison to hand made prototypes. GM has also installed multiple 3D printers in their Arlington, Texas factory where they have produced Nylon Carbon fiber tools that weight in on average of less than 3lbs to replace tools that used to weight between 10 to 40 lbs. for the assembly of the Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac Full size SUVs and trucks.

3D printing has also been used in the production of the Chevrolet Bolt EV and the Hummer EV Battery pack speeding up the assembly and production of various modules. GM has also confirmed that many of the new parts found in the up coming Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing will be built on 3D printers.

GM opens new 3D-printing development center - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Interesting in that in this story, while the CT4 & 5 V Blackwing edition will get a manual, it will be one of the last options offered as the auto's with the 10 speed auto will be produced first and other options before a manual will come towards the end of the first year of production.

3D printing helps bring the Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing models to life (cnet.com)

SUPERCRUISE is coming to the GMC Sierra 1500 Denali in late 2022.

Super Cruise is coming to the GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (cnet.com)

For those that love books, some sad news for you in regards to auto repair manuals. Haynes if following the path of many other auto repair manual publishers and moving to Digital versions only. Haynes will continue to print existing manuals but like everyone else starting with 2021 Auto's, repair manuals will only be available in Digital form. Get your Tablet purchased. ;) 

Haynes to cease printing new repair manuals, moves to online guides (cnet.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking around the web at cars, car ratings, and car reviews.

Then, if one needs help to break a tie between a Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300, they should look at this (courtesy of Motor Trend):

33039486_MotorTrendranking.thumb.JPG.77821232ab57f379e0d78343cb102910.JPG

In basic and base MSRP, the Charger and the 300 are a mere $ 45 apart.

Same platform, chassis, and powertrain.  Completely different roofline, greenhouse, beltline, and front end affect.

You decide.  This made it easy (at least for me).

Oh yeah, as for the Avalon (#1), LOL.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Boy that is heavy....

• Agree 1

We’ve all read pointed commentary about how many huge trucks are out there, all that road-destroying weight, and the consequences in accidents.

Now were going to add a literal ton of MORE weight and make them go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I’m really curious what discussions the insurance industry is having right now 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

We’ve all read pointed commentary about how many huge trucks are out there, all that road-destroying weight, and the consequences in accidents.

Now were going to add a literal ton of MORE weight and make them go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Maybe...EVs OUTSIDE of Teslas, Cadillacs, Audis, Lucid quite possibly Ferraris and Porsches (if they ever decide to get on that train...because they might not have a choice either...but that is for another discussion...) maybe all other EV makers should focus on performance figs that are battery and range and charge times oriented rather than speed?  Especially biggly, hugely EV trucks and EV SUVs...

I mean, I know Dodge and Chevrolet and Ford in the 1920s and 1930s all had horsepower wars with each other, but Duesenbergs were still kicking their ass.  I mean...  Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford  during those times , were also concentrating on comfort and suspensions and the like...   I mean...they tried to offer the creature comfort stuff that Cadillacs and Buicks were known for...    I mean, there are other, more critical stuff to an EV's success other than speed performance.  Speed is sexy.  And THAT is  why Teslas sell. But Teslas also got state of the art electric motors, electronics and software.   But biggly hugely EV trucks and SUVs need not go that fast... 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

It certainly would be nice if pickup trucks and SUVs basically went on a diet.  Like about 800-1000 each.  Then again, in the Good Old USA, nobody really wants to buy smaller unless they have to.  Also, similar performance with less weight tends to cost MORE than the last generation for some reason.  I do believe that all vehicles (regardless of segment) could stand to lose a few LBs, but who is going to pay for that?

• Agree 1

It's not size, it's 'tech' that equals weight. That's not going to go away.

But more to my point- it's BATTERIES that are bringing massive weight increases in. That's the next frontier for EV makers to innovate- reducing battery WEIGHT. Imagine a Model S weighing 4000 lbs (900 lbs lighter).

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Then, if one needs help to break a tie between a Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300, they should look at this (courtesy of Motor Trend):

Same platform, chassis, and powertrain.  Completely different roofline, greenhouse, beltline, and front end affect.

I like the charger better. Ever since we talked about themn in white, I have noticed a bunch. OPne with black aftermarket rims in white yesterday looked especially good. 

8 hours ago, riviera74 said:

It certainly would be nice if pickup trucks and SUVs basically went on a diet.  Like about 800-1000 each.  Then again, in the Good Old USA, nobody really wants to buy smaller unless they have to.  Also, similar performance with less weight tends to cost MORE than the last generation for some reason.  I do believe that all vehicles (regardless of segment) could stand to lose a few LBs, but who is going to pay for that?

Actually, buying a Ranger that will see light trail use....me...I needed a vehicle that would both fit down narrow forrest service and utility roads, and also haul logs home so I could cut them into lumber or turn them into bowls. 

Midsize trucks have huge advantages, and are almsot as alrge as a 60's or 70's fullsize truck. 

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

I can answer on the insurance industry as I have two children who work there. A lot of interest in self driving vehicles, as it is a huge reduction in liability for them. 

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I would rather have the Chrysler 300 personally.  The Charger screams "Race ME".  I prefer a little more elegance and stealth.

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

But more to my point- it's BATTERIES that are bringing massive weight increases in. That's the next frontier for EV makers to innovate- reducing battery WEIGHT. Imagine a Model S weighing 4000 lbs (900 lbs lighter).

I wonder how much the Ford F150 EV will weigh...  7500 lbs? 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I would rather have the Chrysler 300 personally.  The Charger screams "Race ME".  I prefer a little more elegance and stealth.

I will stick by the Cahrger in all of this. One of the aldies that I went to high school with was always into muscle cars. She ahd an orange one at our last reunion, amazing car. 

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I wonder how much the Ford F150 EV will weigh...  7500 lbs? 

It won't be light. Add increased tire replacement itnervals to your maintenance costs. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I like both models, could see myself in either.   I esp. like dark color choices..I like the 300 in dark blue and dark red, the Charger in F8 green or that dark purplish red in particular...

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like both models, could see myself in either.   I esp. like dark color choices..I like the 300 in dark blue and dark red, the Charger in F8 green or that dark purplish red in particular...

I am just  more into performance cars. And I love the charger in green also, any of the greens they have sold it in, Actually. 

• Agree 2

What is the frickin' deal?  Sure, I've read about the funding issues and bottlenecks at the USPS.  However, I've been waiting for very ordinary pieces of mail with bar codes to get to certain places and they haven't.

Any of you noticing slower mail transit time with the USPS?

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, riviera74 said:

After reading this earlier today, I saw a dude on the freeway in a black Chrysler 300.  It definitely owns its niche.

I can see your position.  However, it would have to be just the way I'd want it ordered.  

I reviewed one here once - I had one for $49 for that day.  For $15 more, I finally got to drive a 300!  Surprisingly, the driving experience, smoothness, and noise suppression were no different (to me) than in Chargers I had driven up to then.

In defense of the more recent 300, cloth seats are now standard again and they've gotten rid of the dashboard applique, favoring a simpler black trim (which you notice around the "chronometer") and now have a simple leather wrapped steering wheel (like the one in the Charger) as opposed to the annoying segmented hard metal/plastic one they had in my rental car.

I'm sure the 300 features better visibility because it's more upright.  The one thing that bothers me is how the grille looks so exposed, while the current Charger grille has a very defined bumper section that is body colored.

As for colors, I only like both of these cars in white and in the enamel dark gray color they're currently offering.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

What is the frickin' deal?  Sure, I've read about the funding issues and bottlenecks at the USPS.  However, I've been waiting for very ordinary pieces of mail with bar codes to get to certain places and they haven't.

Yes, definitely slower.  I’ve noticed messages on the USPS website when tracking packages about significant delays due to the Holiday package increase and COVID 19 affecting staffing.  

The message on the USPS website:

ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

According to various sources from Edmunds to Teslarati they all seem to be in the same range of one to two pounds. 

Teslarati actually has a very detailed breakdown of the Tesla S RWD. Total Weight is 4,647.3 lbs. Go to AWD and the second motors with controller adds another 350lbs. so Tesla S AWD would be 4,997.3lbs. If you add the larger batteries it also gains weight so the Tesla S AWD with Ludacris mode which includes the largest battery they have tips at over 5,000lbs.

Ford Mach E that is arriving at dealerships has the following weight for base RWD 4,394lbs to AWD with the largest batter at 4,890lbs.

I say Ford is beating Tesla in the weight department.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

After reading this earlier today, I saw a dude on the freeway in a black Chrysler 300.  It definitely owns its niche.

I can see your position.  However, it would have to be just the way I'd want it ordered.  

I reviewed one here once - I had one for $49 for that day.  For $15 more, I finally got to drive a 300!  Surprisingly, the driving experience, smoothness, and noise suppression were no different (to me) than in Chargers I had driven up to then.

In defense of the more recent 300, cloth seats are now standard again and they've gotten rid of the dashboard applique, favoring a simpler black trim (which you notice around the "chronometer") and now have a simple leather wrapped steering wheel (like the one in the Charger) as opposed to the annoying segmented hard metal/plastic one they had in my rental car.

I'm sure the 300 features better visibility because it's more upright.  The one thing that bothers me is how the grille looks so exposed, while the current Charger grille has a very defined bumper section that is body colored.

As for colors, I only like both of these cars in white and in the enamel dark gray color they're currently offering.

Id take THE Challenger from the Dodge Brothers catalog hands down.  Honestly, at this point, the ONLY one Id buy IS the Challenger between the three.  Id probably want the Challenger the way it is even AFTER a new gen is out.  Its a classic that even if a new generation is made, Id still want this generation in my stable of cars.   But as for the 4 door version, I wished Mopar would have updated the 300 the way they updated the Charger. Then Id want a 300 as well.  

• Agree 2

The Challenger is the one most likely i would buy also.. I like the Charger and 300, but don't need another 4dr---the GC fulfills the comfy sedan role quite well.   A Challenger with a V8 and a manual definitely would be what I would go for, preferably in F8 green.  Not enough garage space right now, though. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Challenger is the one most likely i would buy also.. I like the Charger and 300, but don't need another 4dr---the GC fulfills the comfy sedan role quite well.   A Challenger with a V8 and a manual definitely would be what I would go for, preferably in F8 green.  Not enough garage space right now, though. 

I am more than content with the Ranger. I want something that will go off road, a Jeep or a motorcycle or something. 

How NOT to get a pig to market...

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Would love a Charger, but they like to steal them around here... 😞 

Just got the notice of 1 year left on the lease of my Equinox. Besides the annoying stop/start, it has been a great little CUV. Still quite low in the mileage though! I’m thinking of buying it after the lease anyways for two reasons: 1- the buyout is pretty low, thanks to an extra discount, and being a lower trim level (LS) 2- I have a 12 year old who will be driving not too far down the road, and it won’t hurt to have an extra car around to drive. Who knows, maybe it ends up as his car.... 🙂 

Given Michigan roads, a Surplus US military Tank and or a Mercedees Unimog might be a better choice. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1