Random Thoughts Thread

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of car

Love these types of bad ass rides. Reminds me of custom 4x4 Z ride that I saw up on Stevens pass back in 2016.

IMG_20160307_153930.jpg

We need more sweet rides like this.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, David said:

Tools always have use and are cool. Was looking at some of my old Craftsman tools I have from the 60's that my dad gave me.

Agree the picture is very cool, Snake looks like it is part of the boa family, but pigmy in how fat but short it is. Crazy colors too.

I don't know how anyone could ever be biored so many amazing things in life to look at. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Love these types of bad ass rides. Reminds me of custom 4x4 Z ride that I saw up on Stevens pass back in 2016.

IMG_20160307_153930.jpg

We need more sweet rides like this.

I actually like this little Datsun. 

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I had a good running version of the exact same van that I was going to restore, but sold it to a guy who needed the good 350/TH350 set up. the carcass of that van is still sitting in the salvage yarde I promised Balthazar I would visit back in January. 

This is what I grew up in as a kid. And it was a Sportvan, not a sport ten. Lots of people hauling and camping trips. It was also a 3 on the tree, true old school.

251840344_ScreenShot2021-05-21at12_58_40PM.thumb.png.ebdd05daa3d1879d4fa415beb5b397b9.png

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I don't know how anyone could ever be biored so many amazing things in life to look at. 

I actually like this little Datsun. 

I kinda like it also...I like 240Zs more like these, though...

unnamed-9.jpg

1972-datsun-240z-15768061730a17a1972-datsun-240z-157671289908495d565e0e36c521-b6ed-4cd5-97ad-9584a9b43069-kk73yn-1578079481.jpg

1973_datsun_240z_1562862262bc1bd79de29637export-5538.jpg

50737699536_70019eed7e_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

This is what I grew up in as a kid. And it was a Sportvan, not a sport ten. Lots of people hauling and camping trips. It was also a 3 on the tree, true old school.

251840344_ScreenShot2021-05-21at12_58_40PM.thumb.png.ebdd05daa3d1879d4fa415beb5b397b9.png

Neat...I did a lot of camping at Ohio and Pa lakes, state parks, etc as a kid in my folks' '73 Dodge Sportsman Mobile Traveler 21 ft Class C RV...even took cross country summer trips to Arizona in it. .They had it from about 1975 to 1981, then got a 28 ft Southwind Class A RV.  The Mobile Traveler looked like this one below. 

VirWRvm.jpg

• Agree 3

@Robert Hall @A Horse With No Name Have to say this is a very cool conversion of a 240Z to BEV.

Joe Porcelli's 1975 Datsun 280Z (evalbum.com)

Gained 500lbs due to the use of Lead Acid Batteries. 40 miles range, but then that was 2006, imagine with modern Lithium batteries.

image.png

image.png

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I kinda like it also...I like 240Zs more like these, though...

unnamed-9.jpg

1972-datsun-240z-15768061730a17a1972-datsun-240z-157671289908495d565e0e36c521-b6ed-4cd5-97ad-9584a9b43069-kk73yn-1578079481.jpg

1973_datsun_240z_1562862262bc1bd79de29637export-5538.jpg

50737699536_70019eed7e_b.jpg

Neat...I did a lot of camping at Ohio and Pa lakes, state parks, etc as a kid in my folks' '73 Dodge Sportsman Mobile Traveler 21 ft Class C RV...even took cross country summer trips to Arizona in it. .They had it from about 1975 to 1981, then got a 28 ft Southwind Class A RV.  The Mobile Traveler looked like this one below. 

VirWRvm.jpg

Nice! My dad actually took the third row seat out of his van and then put in a queen size sofa sleeper bed inside of it (just the metal framework, no couch), making it a pseudo conversion van. He then made a rare mistake by letting my brother drive it as his first car as a teenager. Doesn't take much to see where that could go horribly wrong for a parent lol. Once I find pictures of it, I'll post them here. Just a truly different time.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 3

The later RVs my family had looked like these--a '78 Southwind, 28 ft w/ a 440 V8, had it for about 4 years then replaced by an '85 Winnebago Chieftain 33 ft w/ a 454. They kept that one 10 years until they retired from RVing.

img_370650_2_86d6ed6fb948c1aec63880e755948aea.jpg

unnamed-10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The later RVs my family had looked like these--a '78 Southwind, 28 ft w/ a 440 V8, had it for about 4 years then replaced by an '85 Winnebago Chieftain 33 ft w/ a 454. They kept that one 10 years until they retired from RVing.

img_370650_2_86d6ed6fb948c1aec63880e755948aea.jpg

unnamed-10.jpg

I dig everything about that.

• Agree 1

Interesting event in SW Florida.  They make the news from time to time.  A nuisance gator was chasing customers in a Wendy's parking lot!  Sadly, I didn't see any footage ... just photos.  Why would you even get out of your car if you saw an alligator in the parking lot? 

A similar sight took place in Texas.  Yes, they live there, too.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alligators-spotted-two-separate-restaurant-154200844.html

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Interesting event in SW Florida.  They make the news from time to time.  A nuisance gator was chasing customers in a Wendy's parking lot!  Sadly, I didn't see any footage ... just photos.  Why would you even get out of your car if you saw an alligator in the parking lot? 

A similar sight took place in Texas.  Yes, they live there, too.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alligators-spotted-two-separate-restaurant-154200844.html

Found what little video was posted about this.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The camouflage effect makes this scary.  I suppose anyone could walk out of their car and head into a fast food joint.

Edited by trinacriabob

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

what a glorious find this would have been for a road trip machine!

three rows of seats!  throw cladding on it and call it a CUV!

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/1994-buick-roadmaster-wagon-5600-miles-photos-auction/

image.png

image.png

image.png

The 90's version of a Suburban Coupe CUV and just as long lol.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, regfootball said:

I think I like the equivalent Olds full-size wagon a little bit more because of its grille.  I still see some of these on the road.  They are doing their job for their owners ... 5.7 V8 et. al.

However, I do like the interior of this one.  The simple, vertical dash is nicely trimmed out and makes a good statement.

The price of $ 24 K that it sold for is no surprise, given that colonnade coupes from the '70s in great condition sell for anywhere from $ 10 K to $ 20 K.

• Agree 2

Just completed 3rd service visit here at Rancho Balthy on my buddy's '02 Infiniti QX4- replacing both front rotors / pads. 

2nd visit was because LF wheel was getting overly hot, had to be either the caliper going bad or the bearings. Turns out the new pad backings' were a bit too long and binding- one pad was stuck at an angle. Has to grind the end tabs of the pads. 'New parts'.

3rd visit we replaced there bearings & seal on that side, wheel seems to rotate the same as the other side WRT resistance now (nissan has the front half-shafts and the transfer case engaged even if in RWD (has automatic 4WD drive), so it's constantly rotating a large mass of components- part of the reason is gets 15 MPG). Hopefully done now- I hate working on modern junk.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I think I like the equivalent Olds full-size wagon a little bit more because of its grille.  I still see some of these on the road.  They are doing their job for their owners ... 5.7 V8 et. al.

However, I do like the interior of this one.  The simple, vertical dash is nicely trimmed out and makes a good statement.

The price of $ 24 K that it sold for is no surprise, given that colonnade coupes from the '70s in great condition sell for anywhere from $ 10 K to $ 20 K.

Always been a fan of these wagons. Have a major love for those early to mid 70s GM wagons... 🙂 

• Agree 3

Up near cuyahoga falls, one of the trails I want to do. Not my picture. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, daves87rs said:

Always been a fan of these wagons. Have a major love for those early to mid 70s GM wagons... 🙂 

I prefer the 60's wagons. 

• Agree 2

I was a stop light the other day.  2 lane highway. After these lights, the highway opens up and there are no more lights for a dozen of miles or so.   70 KM/H (45 MPH) speed limit but folk drive 100 KM/H (60 MPH) and the cops usually let the traffic flow at those higher speeds...usually.

In front of me at pole position was a Hyundai Ioniq of the year. To his left was a new of the year Nissan Leaf.  In back of the Hyundai, there I was.  Nobody else but us three. 

I said (to myself)..."GREAT!  Im stuck behind two earth loving snails!"  (Because I believed both would drive the speed limit and both would block both lanes in preventing me from passing...)

To my surprise, when the lights turned green, they both jack rabbited their start and never let off the "gas".  Its as if they were racing each other...   (Not quite, but they both eagerly accelerated...)

I was caught flat footed, but I immediately floored my Acura.  It took a awhile for me to catch up and by that time, these guys were still accelerating.  Let me tell you, for these EVs that are NOT Teslas in that both of these EVs are more 'geared' to be family oriented rather than speed statuts oriented, my Acura had to work hard JUST to keep up.  I had more than enough power to surpass them, I think, because maybe they were not using all of their juice, and maybe my Acura did NOT have what it took to surpass them.  

Just goes to show you how fast EVs really are no matter what type of EVs were are talking about.  It was quite fun just trying to keep up with them. Im sure they had the same fun I did.  Luckily, no cops were around for us  to see if they would let us drive at 60MPH and more...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

^ kinda looks like Brandywine Falls, was last there July 2019, took these pics then.   Was out there yesterday, parking lot was full.  

2B845B57-6E82-4502-B772-61FBC6A5BCE9.jpeg

2075AE5F-ACC6-48C7-97B5-29F127379BB4.jpeg

227D8BA6-D9BF-4C3D-BD59-C2F525F24305.jpeg

Very cool walk Robert.

Around here so many have gone to hiking and trail walks that there is far more chance of being coughed on a trail now than in the city where everyone is avoiding. Crazy times.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

^ kinda looks like Brandywine Falls, was last there July 2019, took these pics then.   Was out there yesterday, parking lot was full.  

2B845B57-6E82-4502-B772-61FBC6A5BCE9.jpeg

2075AE5F-ACC6-48C7-97B5-29F127379BB4.jpeg

227D8BA6-D9BF-4C3D-BD59-C2F525F24305.jpeg

That would be correct. 

I think a few guys in Cleveland might be up for a meal. 

56 minutes ago, David said:

Very cool walk Robert.

Around here so many have gone to hiking and trail walks that there is far more chance of being coughed on a trail now than in the city where everyone is avoiding. Crazy times.

I will be out by you in about 3 weeks. Maybe I can meet you in person. 

No photo description available.

May be an image of bird and nature

Random nature shots just because I feel good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I will be out by you in about 3 weeks. Maybe I can meet you in person. 

Sure will DM you my cell # for contact. :thumbsup:

• Agree 1

My homepage told me that, today, "Thelma and Louise" turns 30!  A painful movie to watch ... unless you're a feminist.

But who can forget the unexpected finale ...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

My homepage told me that, today, "Thelma and Louise" turns 30!  A painful movie to watch ... unless you're a feminist.

But who can forget the unexpected finale ...

A painful movie if you love old convertibles...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm struggling with the presentation that this is accurate; size-relation-wise : 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.36.45 PM.png

This too: 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.37.00 PM.png

Well, the first pic is a 2nd gen Sonoma on the left, those were truly compact.  

• Agree 1

On 5/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, Robert Hall said:

I guess that movie wouldn’t have been the same if they had been driving a current LeBaron convertible.  

No, it wouldn't.

Back when things were made in America with pride...

May be an image of text that says '2020 appliances Breaks within two years. 1970s refrigerator I will outlive you and everyone you love. am eternal. am time itself. SamLepore LISTING APPT WIT SAM 4:00 * TROM CONTRACT RETRIGERATOR EXCLUDE'

Simple cars sometimes the best...

May be a cartoon of text

• Haha 1

Be careful what you do....funny....

May be a cartoon

May be a cartoon of cat and text that says 'WHOA, WHOA! KNOCK OVER THE MUG, NOT THE COFFEE POT. YOU'RE A LOVABLE JERK, DAVE, NOT A BARBARIAN. CAT IN TRAINING'

May be a cartoon of ‎text that says '‎©2020 Scott Hilburn/Distributed by Andrews McMeel Syndication ANCESTRY. COM 23% TOASTER 18% CAMCORDER 26 % TRASH CAN 4% HUB CAP 3 % LASER POINTER 12% DURACEL_DATTE ILLLE کا 8/25 lτeω‎'‎

19 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm struggling with the presentation that this is accurate; size-relation-wise : 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.36.45 PM.png

This too: 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.37.00 PM.png

There is a reason I bought a Ranger rather than a ful size truck. Although the Chevy trail boss is still lust worthy 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

DREAMY

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.36.53 PM.png

I have a fetish for this era Mopar. 

19 hours ago, ykX said:

@balthazar

At one point a guy at my work had 1st gen Tacoma and he parked next a new one.  The size difference was staggering.  I didn't save the picture but this represents it pretty accurately. 

002-new-vs-old-toyota-truck.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.25

I wish they still made a Toyota truck the same size as the earlier ones. Would buy. 

19 hours ago, ykX said:

@balthazar

At one point a guy at my work had 1st gen Tacoma and he parked next a new one.  The size difference was staggering.  I didn't save the picture but this represents it pretty accurately. 

002-new-vs-old-toyota-truck.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.25

Yeah, the one on the left is an '80s Hilux, which is a bit smaller than the original '90s Tacoma..but still quite a size difference. 

• Agree 2

WOW, Amazon has purchased MGM studios to add to their Prime Video Services and now owns James Bond and Shark Tank plus so much more.

Amazon to buy MGM, studio behind James Bond and 'Shark Tank' - ABC News (go.com)

19 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, Amazon has purchased MGM studios to add to their Prime Video Services and now owns James Bond and Shark Tank plus so much more.

Amazon to buy MGM, studio behind James Bond and 'Shark Tank' - ABC News (go.com)

Kind of unreal how they seem to now own everything. 

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says '"Every little thing she does is magic" "BURN HER!"'

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Kind of unreal how they seem to now own everything. 

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says '"Every little thing she does is magic" "BURN HER!"'

Makes one wonder when the monopoly Anti-trust will happen against Amazon.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David said:

This has the potential to drift into politics, so i am going to lay low. 

Looking at Audio amplifiers. Want to upgrade amplifier in my home system, and add a better guard to one fo my table saws. Other than that, I want to simplify and get rid of things I am not using. 

This looks interesting. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-aegir-power-amplifier

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, David said:

I've wondered about that before...Amazon is involved in so many different businesses..  I was thinking about it--- I'm an Amazon Prime customer and purchase a lot of products from their site, I have Amazon Prime audio and video streaming and listen to/watch/read a lot of content from them, and I use many of their AWS tools and services at work.  3 very distinct use cases. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This has the potential to drift into politics, so i am going to lay low. 

Looking at Audio amplifiers. Want to upgrade amplifier in my home system, and add a better guard to one fo my table saws. Other than that, I want to simplify and get rid of things I am not using. 

This looks interesting. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-aegir-power-amplifier

I can respect that and yes I agree it can go politics, but from just a basic business sense, the Prime Video will be interesting to watch as I am a HUGE James Bond Fan of the books and all the movies even the cheesy ones!

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I've wondered about that before...Amazon is involved in so many different businesses..  I was thinking about it--- I'm an Amazon Prime customer and purchase a lot of products from their site, I have Amazon Prime audio and video streaming and listen to/watch/read a lot of content from them, and I use many of their AWS tools and services at work.  3 very distinct use cases. 

Yes, An Amazon Prime household here too and so many use cases. Was interesting to see that Amazon has done the same as Costco with Auto Purchases for those that hate dealerships and just want to shop, buy and move forward.

Amazon.com: Vehicles

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, David said:

Was interesting to see that Amazon has done the same as Costco with Auto Purchases for those that hate dealerships and just want to shop, buy and move forward.

Amazon.com: Vehicles

That is interesting...wasn't aware of that.

• Agree 1

Costco's auto program is extremely limited in its scope IMO, and the 'online' vehicle purchase entities I've looked at (carvana & amazon)- there's no deals to be had there. You can do better at a dealer, and get far better purchase service. The online services have a long way to go. 

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Costco's auto program is extremely limited in its scope IMO, and the 'online' vehicle purchase entities I've looked at (carvana & amazon)- there's no deals to be had there. You can do better at a dealer, and get far better purchase service. The online services have a long way to go. 

I would totally agree that the online purchase services have much to improve. If you do not mind the time at a dealership to haggle then you can also do much better than online. 

With the above stated, I know way too many fellow tech workers that hate dealerships and do not mind paying a set price to just buy what they want, have it delivered to their home, sign papers and accept their new auto.

Crazy, but many people hate the negotiating part of buying a new auto. Probably why I have bought so many auto's for family and friends as they just want a good price and sign and go. 

Agree that if you can deal with the sales person, back n forth, add on's at signing, etc. much can be gained by the buyer. Yet many just want to buy like a grocery store.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

I would totally agree that the online purchase services have much to improve. If you do not mind the time at a dealership to haggle then you can also do much better than online. 

With the above stated, I know way too many fellow tech workers that hate dealerships and do not mind paying a set price to just buy what they want, have it delivered to their home, sign papers and accept their new auto.

I could see myself doing that..I don't really like dealing with car salesmen, they waste so much time.  I have no interest in haggling, prefer fixed prices for products. 

• Like 1