Random Thoughts Thread

On 5/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, trinacriabob said:

Sort of a cool photo.  Love white Chargers, though I don't need all the bells and whistles (and costs) of the top of the line model.  For me, less is more when it comes to cars.

Also cool that it is staged at one of those storage lots or graveyards for airplanes found in the Desert SW.  This beast in the background is obviously a KLM 747 that is basking in the desert sun.

dg021_072chdah8hd00of65hgs62cg8fdarvs_1c

You have introduced me to the Charger fetish. I like them more all of the time. that 747 will probaby never fly again, sadly. 

On 5/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, daves87rs said:

Sadly I will be working most of it, but I do at least have Monday off! Be safe, and enjoy it everyone!!

I hiked all weedend, working today (Monday). 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Redwood forrests in California. My fiorst car had the "See the USA in a Chevrolet" front lic plate. Right now, orny of ironies, I am going to see it in a Ford Truck. More trips planned. 

Not my pic....but want to go.

May be an image of tree, nature and road

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I heard this song for the first time in years after David Pastrnak got a hat trick last night and the Gahden's DJ played this song while 18 000 Bruins fans were ecstatic and were singing along. 

So...I got inspired  to post this today

One of those times where the right time and right song just make the atmosphere go nuts. Playoff hockey is a beauty and there's nothing else like it. I'm just disappointed in mah Blues hadedly getting swept in the first round. The ole injury bug struck them BAD this year and it showed. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

One of those times where the right time and right song just make the atmosphere go nuts. Playoff hockey is a beauty and there's nothing else like it. I'm just disappointed in mah Blues hadedly getting swept in the first round. The ole injury bug struck them BAD this year and it showed. 

Ohhhh...no one knows disappointment more than a Columbus Blue Jackets fan....

May be an image of ‎1 person and ‎text that says '‎Geographic South Pole Roald Amundsen December 1911 "So arrived and were able plant Hag geographical South Pole. Rebert Scolt Jamusy 1912 Pole under IEferent eircumatancesfrom Chase elevation ,301 feet رم When you stand at the geographic South pole, all lines of longitude converge at that exact point, so you are literally standing in all 24 time zones. You can step from Today into Yesterday and back into Tomorrow. It's the only place on earth you can Time Travel.‎'‎‎

May be a cartoon of text that says 'NORMALIZE CALLING BABIES UGLY, I'M TIRED OF LYING'

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'NASCAR PRESENTS THE WAL-MART 500'

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Ohhhh...no one knows disappointment more than a Columbus Blue Jackets fan....

Not to take ANYTHING away from your pain being a Blue Jackets fan but...

Just listen to this guy's rant.

If you have watched the NHL only since 2004, you'd realize that Leafs fans have it worse. But if have have been an NHL hockey fan for ever, you'd realize that the Leafs hadnt won a Stanley Cup since 1967.  Which would be the absolute worse drought of ANY North American pro league.  

The Red Sox beat their curse.

The Cubbies have beat their curse.

Hell, the Bruins have found a way to beat their arch rival who ALWAYS lost to the Canadiens have won 1 Stanley Cup while beating the Habs on way for that Stanley Cup... 

The Blue Jackets are still a new franchise per se.  But even they have had MORE play off success than the Maple Leafs...

EDIT:

I just saw this video.  THIS dude pisses on EVERY North American sports LEague teams. THIS guy is GREAT!

I havent watched the video yet so I have NO idea what he said about these shytty Leafs, but Im sure if we both watch it, we will BOTH agree that The Jackets are alright compared to the the Leafs.   

Poor Torontonians.  The RAPTORS have a chance to win another championship and still be better than thee Maple Leafs.  The BLUE JAYS are steaming hot this year and they too, could win another championship.  Yet the Leafs, are still at the bottom of the play off barrel.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yup.

You just knew the fans would be ready to explode.  

1st game back with full attendance. 

1st game round 2 especially the way the Bruins disposed of Ovi and the Caps. 

All it took is their sniper to snipe a hat trick and any song would have done it in my opinion.

It sucks that the Blues went down the way they did, but honestly, the Avs this year look like they will win it all.   

And yeah, hockey playoffs are THE most exciting of all the North American pro sports leagues. 

• Agree 1

@A Horse With No Name

Here is another one.

Remember...the fairytale made for Disney storyline from an NHL game that a 42 year old Zamboni driver suited up because of injuries to both goalies and played and won the game?

Well...here it is

This was last year...and low and behold...the Blue Jackets actually won AGAINST Toronto last year in the Covid shortened year when the league started up again in that pre-qualifying playoff round...]

Yes...the Blue Jackets BEAT the Maple Leafs

This is from 2013.

And the actual game highlights

PS:

Im not only showing you how it aint that bad being a Blue Jackets fan, it could be worse...Im actually having FUN SHYTTING ON TORONTO at the same time!!!    :) 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

It sucks that the Blues went down the way they did, but honestly, the Avs this year look like they will win it all. 

Definitely, credit should not be taken away from the Avs. They likely would have won the series even if we were 100% healthy, but it would have at least been competitive. They look GOOD right now. 

• Agree 1

Interesting battle of a customer Diesel 6x6 Jeep Gladiator versus the 4x4 MB G550.

Jeep Gladiator 6x6 vs. Mercedes-Benz G550 4x4 Squared Tug of War Ends in Failure - autoevolution

:roflmao: Kids with way too much of Daddies money! :P 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They have 1.14m subscribers, this is their own money. 

You had me wonder what the pay out is and according to the various listings about how YouTube pays based on subscribers and the ads, it comes out to about $5 per 1,000 views.

This is one of the clearest layouts on how this works if you want to get to the details.

How much youtube pay per views - the best guide for 2021 - AudienceGain Ltd

So if all 1.14 million subscribers watch at least once per episode, you would have 1,140,000 divided by 1,000 = 1,140 *5 = $5,700 per video they post. Not sure how often they post videos but lets go with once per month would equal $68,400 per year. Not enough to pay for the huge house, land and fancy auto's in the video. Even if we go to 4 videos per month, that would still be $273,600 gross per year and taxes have to be paid on that income. I could be wrong, but I still think money is coming from other sources as I just do not see they affording a luxury life off a YouTube channel. 

Yes some social media stars have become millionaires and they have million of subscribers, but I think that is far rarer than the norm. IMHO

54 minutes ago, David said:

You had me wonder what the pay out is and according to the various listings about how YouTube pays based on subscribers and the ads, it comes out to about $5 per 1,000 views.

This is one of the clearest layouts on how this works if you want to get to the details.

How much youtube pay per views - the best guide for 2021 - AudienceGain Ltd

So if all 1.14 million subscribers watch at least once per episode, you would have 1,140,000 divided by 1,000 = 1,140 *5 = $5,700 per video they post. Not sure how often they post videos but lets go with once per month would equal $68,400 per year. Not enough to pay for the huge house, land and fancy auto's in the video. Even if we go to 4 videos per month, that would still be $273,600 gross per year and taxes have to be paid on that income. I could be wrong, but I still think money is coming from other sources as I just do not see they affording a luxury life off a YouTube channel. 

Yes some social media stars have become millionaires and they have million of subscribers, but I think that is far rarer than the norm. IMHO

Well, here are some of their other videos' views. Yes, I also looked this up awhile back because I was curious how people are making money off YouTube, serious money. There's A LOT to consider when thinking about how much they make because this is now a job for them and they're expensing these things as well. Also, your numbers are assuming none of them do videos with other people and there's nothing given to them, and there are zero other sponsorships going on. 

Yes, it's rare and difficult to become a YouTube millionaire but it's also rare to get a million subscribers and videos with millions of views.

I watched about 10 seconds of what you posted and those guys seem terribly annoying and I plan to never give them a single "view" of mine. 

Views.JPG

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, here are some of their other videos' views. Yes, I also looked this up awhile back because I was curious how people are making money off YouTube, serious money. There's A LOT to consider when thinking about how much they make because this is now a job for them and they're expensing these things as well. Also, your numbers are assuming none of them do videos with other people and there's nothing given to them, and there are zero other sponsorships going on. 

Yes, it's rare and difficult to become a YouTube millionaire but it's also rare to get a million subscribers and videos with millions of views.

I watched about 10 seconds of what you posted and those guys seem terribly annoying and I plan to never give them a single "view" of mine. 

Views.JPG

WOW, thanks for posting this, amazing that so many people watch these annoying guys. I had to skip through the video as it came across as a look at me I am peacocking and have a better life than you.

Agree, no need for me to watch any of the other videos.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

They likely would have won the series even if we were 100% healthy, but it would have at least been competitive

I hear ya.

It looks like it will be Tampa Bay and Colorado in the finals.

I do want it to be Montreal versus Boston tho.

For several reasons.

1. Boston is my team.

2. If Montreal wins, Ill scream in AGONY! 

I HATE the HABS!

But... its MY city!

3.   Just imagine what the games would be like.  PURE hatred for one another.  Pro sports most longest, heated rivalry and its for THE Stanley Cup.  LAST time this happened was in the '50s when Boston played Montreal in the finals FOR the Cup.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Jets win it this year- most likely the Lightning though....

Some Winnipeg and Canada love I see!

Self Fist Bump GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

(I wanted to find a fist bump gif to use to fist bump with you, but I came across this one and I saw that this one is funny...and its also hockey!!!)  

And Montreal just scored a goal to lead the Jets 1-0!!!

I guess Im happy...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Is it me, or are NHL players taking more liberties with each other in these 2021 playoffs?

I find it appalling and disgusting with how players are hitting each other.

At the end of the Jets/Canadiens game with 1 minute left or so...another shytty, blatant, useless act...

And I blame NHL's player safety when they only fined Tom Wilson 5000 bucks instead of suspending him 20 phoquing games (and more) earlier in the season before the playoffs started...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Is it me, or are NHL players taking more liberties with each other in these 2021 playoffs?

I find it appalling and disgusting with how players are hitting each other.

At the end of the Jets/Canadiens game with 1 minute left or so...another shytty, blatant, useless act...

And I blame NHL's player safety when they only fined Tom Wilson 5000 bucks instead of suspending him 20 phoquing games (and more) earlier in the season before the playoffs started...

I’ve noticed the dirtier hits....I think maybe some old time hockey might attract some new viewers or something. As much as I liked the fights and stuff, it is much more of a skill game now....though I like when the emotion comes out! I like good solid hits, but not dirty ones....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I’ve noticed the dirtier hits....I think maybe some old time hockey might attract some new viewers or something. As much as I liked the fights and stuff, it is much more of a skill game now....though I like when the emotion comes out! I like good solid hits, but not dirty ones....

Yes. Yes.

That is EXACTLY me also!!!  You said and feel as I want to say and how I feel!  

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes. Yes.

That is EXACTLY me also!!!  You said and feel as I want to say and how I feel!  

Funny how hockey fans think alike? 😉  Of course, this coming from a guy who enjoyed every minute of the old Avs/Red Wing series! While I do sometimes miss the epic fights and battles- I don’t miss the Thug like hits or real dirty tactics (Marty McSorely comes to mind) I like the faster pace, and the battles have really come on their own the last few years....so we get a healthy mix of both. Before I got a bit busy, I was watching some hockey...will be watching some this weekend.... 🙂 

• Agree 1

Haven't followed hockey in years, but did enjoy going to a bunch of Avalanche games in 1997-2008 when I was living in Colorado...the games against the Red Wings were always fun--was at one in 2002 that broke out into a brawl at the Pepsi Center.   I worked with a group of hard-drinking Canadians for a few years that made going to games as a group a lot of fun...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It is certainly not "more about fighting". There are less fights now than in the past. 

In European hockey and Olympic hockey fighting is prohibited period.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ykX said:

I used to love hockey, but NHL turned me off it.  It used to be about technique, skill and speed.  Now it is more about fighting.  If I want to see fighting I will watch MMA.

It was hardy ever about technique, skill and speed.

It was always about intimidation (elbowing and slashing) and slowing the game down with either brutal (but clean-ish hits) or hooking.

Old time hockey which was referenced in the 1970s movie Slap Shot where the Hanson Brothers talked about it and right after also mentioned Boston Bruins great defenseman Eddie Shore in reality was one tough, mean S.O.B.   And therein lies the joke.  Paul Newman's character turned the Charlestown Chiefs into a contender by chirping shyte to get the opponents mad, and got his players riled up to back up those intimidation tactics.  The owner got the 3 Hanson Brothers to start and finish shyte on the ice.  So when pretty boy got disgusted by all that and refused to fight and all that, that is when the Hanson Bros started saying yeah, lets go back to old time hockey. Like Eddie Shore.  Well, old time hockey was NEVER clean hockey.  Eddie Shore nearly killed a man.  Eddie Shore's ear was nearly amputed in the beginning of his career. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Shore

I got an anecdote of my own.  

Before the NHL was started and there was the Montreal Maroons (the English Montreal hockey club) and the Canadiens (The French Montreal hockey club) (and there were others before them but I digress) these two teams HATED each other.  

One day,  after a snowstorm, there was a game between these two, but unlike today, there was no logistics and hundreds of pucks and hockey sticks available so on game time, the guy in charge of the hockey pucks was late, due to the clogged up roads because of the snowstorm.   Well one Montreal Maroon hockey player was heard talking to the ref: 

"Hey Ref!, when are we going to start the game?"  

"We got no pucks, we have to wait for the pucks to arrive."

"To hell with the pucks, we dont need pucks, lets start the hockey game!!!"  

My dad told me this story.   True or not...that was the way things were back then.

In the 1970s, fighting and brawling came to a peak. hence the movie Slap Shot. Hence the Flyers being called the Broad Street Bullies and the Bruins being called the Big Bad Bruins.   Bobby Orr's knees were finished because opponents kept on slashing his knees.  

In the 1980s, all that continued but iot started to settle down. Bettman came in in the late '80s or early '90s and started doing away with all those shenanigans.  

However, in the 1990s, hooking and grabbing was all the fashion because speed and skill was what made the goals happen, but that was how teams defended. And the occasional blistering hit.  Blind side or otherwise. Which was legal then, but not so much by today's standard's because the head was ALWAYS the target.

And then the 2000s  (2004 I think)  after that lockout happened when skill and speed was the name of the game by changing up the way the game was to be played offensively by eliminating the center line etc... and the late hits and hits to the head was forbitten and stuff

The game today is soooooo different from the 1980s and 1990s.  Its faster. Its cleaner. Way waaaaaaaaaay less fights.  No line brawls.  In the 1980s and 1990s their was a line brawl or two EVERY week.  Literally every week. 

Im all for policing fighters and brawlers on each team so when a player decides to hit dirty, then an enforcer does his job to police the ice.  Especially when the refs wont do their jobs properly.  But THAT is not what today's hockey is all about.  The dirty, unnecessary hard hits need to be gone from the game.  But the refs and NHL player safety need to do their job to deter THAT kind of INTIMIDATATION tactics.  But they flub that all the time!

Hence my signature of what the New York Rangers declared after what Tom Wilson did and the league did nothing. And hence why in these 2021 playoffs, the unnecessary late hits and questionable high hits that have injured players  have happened.  Yet once more last night! 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

But you were into the NHL "before it became more about fighting", but it's ALWAYS been that way and it's less about fighting now more than EVER. 

If you reread my post you will see that I stated that I used to love hockey but NHL turned me off it. Never said that I was into NHL.

I grew up in Europe watching European hockey and it was so much cleaner and better than NHL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ykX said:

If you reread my post you will see that I stated that I used to love hockey but NHL turned me off it. Never said that I was into NHL.

I grew up in Europe watching European hockey and it was so much cleaner and better than NHL.

Oh that's fair enough then. 

Lame, but fair. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

In European hockey and Olympic hockey fighting is prohibited period.

Well...European hockey, there are a lot of CHEAP shots too. Id say MORE than in the NHL.  

And in European hockey, there is also a lot of faking and embellishing going on to get the ref to call a phantom penalty...   Kinda like in soccer.   

And...oh yeah...there is fighting in European hockey...   Its in the nature of the game. 

I talked about what the North American players DO to intimidate one another and they of course injure themselves doing it.  But...its a CONTACT sport.  Its a FAST sport.    Fights will happen. And its necessary. To let the steam and heat dissipate. In order continue to play the game.  

In baseball and in football, much much slower sports and fighting happens there too.  

PS:  Fighting in the NHL is also PROHIBITTED.  Since the beginning.  But the league TOLERATES it in order for the aforementioned heat to dissipate.    

If you saw though, yesterday's game with 1 minute left and the Jets player took a liberty to hit the Habs player, on a questionable high hit to the head...when it wasnt necessary to hit that player.  The Jets player did not go for the puck, but CHARGED the Habs player to prevent him from scoring in the open net, but it was too late for him to prevent that goal...

Well...the refs did not ALLOW ANY fights to break out.    They ejected the Jets player IMMEDIATELY.

If the league is smart and WANTS player safety. They will suspend that Jets player from the rest of that series.

If not, the league is kinda making it so that there WILL be a fight or two the next game...

But Montreal really does not have any enforcers on their team... 

THIS is the disconnect.

No fights and dirty hits?

GREAT!

SUSPEND the culprits. Get that SHYTE out of the game for good!

If not!  Then allow the teams to police themselves.

You dont want that?

Get the dirty, unnecessary shyte out of the game.

Hard, clean hits is not the problem.   Fighting is not the problem. Its part of the game. 

The dirty, unnecessary shyte is the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ykX said:

NEVER was.

European hockey has a lot of cheap shots.    After the whistle shenanigans.  A lot of chirping.  A lot of bullshyte trash talking.  Kinda what you see today in the NHL.   

You NEVER saw that in the NHL as your words had to back it up with your physical play back in the day.  

But if you like that, all that nonsense between the whistles...yeah...good on you.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1