Random Thoughts Thread

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Oh, yeah, random thought:

One of the funniest people on the planet!

MV5BMGI4MjU2MDAtMDhhZC00OTRjLTlmYTktMmZm

Yes, was one of the funniest people on the planet in his early movies, now just Meh. Latest stuff I have seen of him is forgetable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Yes, was one of the funniest people on the planet in his early movies, now just Meh. Latest stuff I have seen of him is forgetable. 

To be honest, even some of his earlier stuff was meh.

To be honest, some of his later stuff was just as funny as his funniest earlier stuff.  Daddy Day Care and Haunted House were great family oriented movies.    He was great in Norbit and the Nutty Professor to which showcased his acting prowess in doing multiple characters. He experimented with that with Coming to America along with Arsenio Hall to which Arsenio was also great in.   

Coming to America 2 I haven seen, but as with all sequels, especially sequels to movies that are a couple decades apart, I suspect was probably not that good.

Another 48 hours was crap.  Movie from relatively early in his career.   Not early early like Trading Places or the original 48 hours, but right after  Beverly Hills cop 2 and Coming to America.  Harlem Nights was crap, which was at the same time as Another 48 Hours.

Vampire in Brooklyn Beverly Hills Cop 3 were pure crap.  Mid point of his movie career. 

Dr Doolittle was a good children's movie.

Bowfinger and Showtime were excellent in rekindling that Eddie Murphy goofiness we were accustomed too. 

He has had hits and misses throughout his movie career all around is what Im saying.

But movies and movie acting really dont showcase his funny-ness.  He hasnt done stand-up or live TV funny sketches since the 1980s, so we cant really know if he has stayed relevant with his jokes.  

But if Shrek and that franchise let him loose on some of the dialogue like some other voice over cartoon comedians were  allowed to such as Robin Williams with Aladdin, then to me, he is still that hilarious guy I saw on Beta and on VHS. (Delirious and Raw)  

I think some of that Donkey dialogue was Eddie's.  And no, he wasnt swearing, like we are used to with Eddie Murphy, the things that Eddie said as Donkey were funny. As were the dialogue in his other funnier movies like Showtime.  The movie was crap, the character that Eddie played was pure Eddie Murphy...the Eddie Murphy that we know and love.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

^ I do enjoy 'then & now' automotive comparisons!

- - - - -
Tried asking 2 different questions thru the GMC virtual assistant, but struck out both times. I'm not completely sure there's real, actual humans on the other end.

Was looking for wheel track and weight distribution specs on my Sierra. I found them via GMC press pages... but for 2018- 2019 & newer don't list specs.

I like specs.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, balthazar said:

Today we could be putting these guys in 4-sec-to-60 electrics; fun, eh?

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 8.44.41 PM.png

But those particular 90 year old guys have long since past, 90 years ago. 

Oh....you mean 90 year olds tah-day...  I get you. I get you. 

Why put these guys in electrics doing 4 seconds to 60 and shock them (pun intended) when you could be putting them in supercharged Hellcat SUVs instead. Something familiar to them. 

2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat Review, Pricing, and Specs

They were in their mid 30s after all when these dinosaurs roamed the earth.   

1967 Dodge Coronet R/T – Horsepower Memories

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 7.47.35 PM.png

Always did love that bodystyle of Malibu. Sweet ragtop. used to be a blue one with a white top running around town when i was in High school. 

Todays thought...

May be a cartoon of text that says 'EARLY WORM GETS THE BIRD Fuck him up Gary'

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:14 PM, oldshurst442 said:

The wife and I, along with our kids,  are planning to visit Italy in the next 2 or 3 years.  My daughter's high school trip to Italy and Switzerland  last year was canceled. (Covid)

The wife and I plan to as well. Our honeymoon was supposed to be in Italy but in April of 2020, it may have been the worst place to travel to so we had to cancel and we're yet to re-plan anything. We can't wait!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, Robert Hall said:

1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  Slight difference in size.

Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Comparison-photo-Benjamin-Hunting-Driving00079-scaled.jpeg

I can't believe the one on the left is a 1991.  It almost looks like something from the '70s.

As for the one on the right, I'm not so sure I like the tall grille with a lot of chrome.  I preferred it when Jeep(s) canted their front grilles rearward.  It gave them a sportier look.

Pittsburgh has gotten undrivable. Between the constant lane closures and 50% of drivers that have brain stem activity that would get a turnip removed from life support, it is utterly impossible to get somewhere quickly. When planning to go somewhere, add 50% - 100% to your time estimate. Of course, the bus and trolley service can't pick up the slack because they're utterly inept as well. It's not even the full holiday season yet.

• Sad 2

Cool to read this and see the Hummer in production.

An Electrifying Year
An Electrifying Year
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/electrifying-year-mark-reuss

Very cool read as GM is investing $750 million across the US to build charging stations by 2025 to support the 30 new models coming to market.

I see he states next year in addition to the Chevrolet and GMC mass production trucks to compete with the F150 Lighting that. Blazer EV will come out.

Happy Thanksgiving to the folks of C&G.  Give thanks for whatever you have to be thankful for.  In most cases, we underestimate or underappreciate when it comes to this sort of thing.  At the very least, 2021, thus far, has better than 2020.  We can be thankful for that.

Enjoy the day and the long holiday weekend.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, marcs said:

Random thoughts: i've been super busy for the past months. just wanted to sit down, play the games i bought months ago, do the things i love, create a journal, and make new habits. 

Welcome Marcs to Cheers and Gears. Yes, the pandemic has been a crazy busy time for all to survive. I agree, nice to just take some time off and chill with what ever one feels like.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, marcs said:

Random thoughts: i've been super busy for the past months. just wanted to sit down, play the games i bought months ago, do the things i love, create a journal, and make new habits. 

Yep, new habits ... or stick to resolutions that I always put off.  Happy Thanksgiving.

• Agree 1

@riviera74

The last couple of weeks there has been a ton of fights in the NBA between the players.  NHL level of intensity of fights.   

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-watch-jimmy-butler-challenges-nikola-jokic-to-a-fight-in-a-fit-of-rage-after-ugly-nba-collision/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/nba-2021-lebron-james-ejected-isaiah-stewart-detroit-pistons-vs-los-angeles-lakers-fight-video-reaction/news-story/dc27119bc3cfef795669885a72ec3314

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/11/jazz-pacers-rudy-gobert-myles-turner-fight

Lebron James calling his suspension bullshyte and also involved with tossing out 2 fans.  The antics of these fans being tossed out is very reminiscing of hockey fans in a beer league.  Keep in mind, the NHL is just one step above a beer league.  And that is today's NHL.  In the '70s and '80s, the NHL WAS a beer league...   

Ill stand by my statement. LOL  

Hi guys-

Been a bit busy- not easy being a single dad now with two jobs and a 13 year old to take care of.  We’re hanging in there, and staying out of trouble. 🙂 Well, kind of…..

Bought out the Equinox- and it’s doing just fine. Even after the local dealerships have bugged me to turn in the Trax after she passed-it’s still sitting in my driveway. My son would like it as his first car (since it was Mom’s) so i might buy. it out as well….

Also not expecting to attract women- guess things have changed a bit.  Have gotten some really interesting stuff on IM’ed on facebook to me. Not really looking, but yet they find me…. 😮 

Also on the hunt for a classic Truck…….

Hoping everyone Is doing well!

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Hi guys-

Been a bit busy- not easy being a single dad now with two jobs and a 13 year old to take care of.  We’re hanging in there, and staying out of trouble. 🙂 Well, kind of…..

Bought out the Equinox- and it’s doing just fine. Even after the local dealerships have bugged me to turn in the Trax after she passed-it’s still sitting in my driveway. My son would like it as his first car (since it was Mom’s) so i might buy. it out as well….

Also not expecting to attract women- guess things have changed a bit.  Have gotten some really interesting stuff on IM’ed on facebook to me. Not really looking, but yet they find me…. 😮 

Also on the hunt for a classic Truck…….

Hoping everyone Is doing well!

As I understand it, you are on the hunt for a truck while chicks are on the hunt for you!    Cool!  

Im happy for you that you could find joy being with your son.  I believe you when you say its not easy being a single dad.  Im also glad that your son has been able to cope with losing his mom so young.  

You'll have to (or your son...) will eventually have to buy a car for himself. The Trax I take it, is a good reliable ride.  No need to give it up.  You will have to drive it from time to time so it doesnt sit in your driveway and rot.  But that is a good thing as you minimize wear and tire to both of your cars.    Id say its a good idea to keep the Trax.  

Thanx for chiming in.   Happy Thanks Giving to you!  

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

@riviera74

The last couple of weeks there has been a ton of fights in the NBA between the players.  NHL level of intensity of fights.   

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-basketball-news-watch-jimmy-butler-challenges-nikola-jokic-to-a-fight-in-a-fit-of-rage-after-ugly-nba-collision/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/nba-2021-lebron-james-ejected-isaiah-stewart-detroit-pistons-vs-los-angeles-lakers-fight-video-reaction/news-story/dc27119bc3cfef795669885a72ec3314

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/11/jazz-pacers-rudy-gobert-myles-turner-fight

Lebron James calling his suspension bullshyte and also involved with tossing out 2 fans.  The antics of these fans being tossed out is very reminiscing of hockey fans in a beer league.  Keep in mind, the NHL is just one step above a beer league.  And that is today's NHL.  In the '70s and '80s, the NHL WAS a beer league...   

Ill stand by my statement. LOL  

Wow. All those fights.  For what exactly? 

The strange part was that the Cowboys-Raiders game had a two-man fight out of bounds in the third quarter.  Both were ejected, of course.   They may face suspensions too.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, riviera74 said:

Wow. All those fights.  For what exactly? 

The strange part was that the Cowboys-Raiders game had a two-man fight out of bounds in the third quarter.  Both were ejected, of course.   They may face suspensions too.

I dunno why these fights happened or why the NBA has gotten to be that intense all of a sudden.   Competition will always garner friction amongst the competitors and foes. Its in the nature of winning and losing.   

Yeah, I saw the game. I am a Cowboys fan.  

Why I mentioned it the way I did is because, although in the NHL fighting is also not allowed, never has been allowed, it continues to be tolerated as a means to diffuse tensions of perceived injustices between the players.  An illegal hit and especially if the officials failed to see and punish the infraction and fighting will be allowed to happen as a means to ease the tension so the game could go on without anymore shenanigans.  The combatants will get penalties, and if they fight again in the same game, they will be 'disqualified' as per NFL lingo. They will get a game misconduct as per NHL lingo.    An illegal hit will be reviewed and the dirty hit player will get fined or suspended. But this is where the NHL lacks as compared to the NBA and NFL.  Player safety rules arent enforced as strongly and logically and dirty players arent punished as harshly as they could be. 

In that Raiders/Cowboys game.  The two players will probably get suspended. In the NHL, a situation like that will not even get noticed. If a play was made intended to injure the other player, then maybe a suspension might happen in the NHL.  In the NFL, just a little tango between players will garner a suspension. A dirty hit will most definitely garner something more intense than just a game suspension and a fine.   

Lebron Jame's incident will most definitely invoke a fight in the NHL.  Whether the perpetrator of an elbow to the head of an opponent will be involved in the fight is not important, a policing fight will happen.  Its most satisfying when the perpetrator of a dirty play IS involved in the fight both for the players and the fans, but for the game to continue on without anymore shenanigans going forward, for the players, its not important. As llong as some sort of on the ice justice between the players has happened.  And THAT is the main difference in NHL hockey versus the other pro sports and leagues.  Off the ice,  the perpetrator will get a suspension if the victim has a concussion. If not, the dirty player will probably just get a fine...    And THAT is also another difference in the NHL.  Dirty hits are not stifled enough through harsher league punishments. 

But hockey players and hockey fans are never satisfied with the punishment no matter what side of the fence you sit on and will ALWAYS say that the punishment is bullshyte.  LOL

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Why would anyone put a Rolls-Royce grill and front on a Chevy Monte Carlo?  It's an insult to both RR and the MC.

The money they want for it is also an insult, especially since it's so far from being stock.

• Agree 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:40 PM, balthazar said:

^ The '70s was the haven for Neo-classic trash.

As far as the kits, some of the over-the-top heavily padded vinyl roofs and altered window schemes because of them, and some Cadillac interiors like one called "Maharajah" cloth in the mid-'70s, I'd agree.  If we're talking a pared down and tasteful Regal S/R coupe or Cutlass Salon coupe, with sport wheels and gauges inside, I disagree. 

NOT ok:

cadi1974cdvmaharajahmedjasper.jpg

VERY ok:

1977-buick-regal-is-a-barn-find-with-jus

A0AtcfNIM-WcX7DqvD0UDascr6RsgP2yCJxhjEGe

I'm only speaking for myself:  when we've gone from a market where I couldn't decide what to buy because there were so many options to a market where I don't know what I want to buy next because I don't like anything, that's a real downer.

'70s neo classic trash that I very VERY agree is trash.

Superfly Cadillacs

Superfly Pimp Car - YouTube

70s Blaxploitation Movies – Ricochet

1973 Corvorado (Corvette/Eldorado) by Dunham Coach | 70s cars, Donk cars,  Cars

Stutz Bearcats

1979 Stutz Bearcat | conceptcarz.com

1979 Stutz Bearcat, owned by Jim Milliken | Cool old cars, Old classic  cars, Antique cars

1971-1987 Stutz Blackhawk: Banking on the Baroque | Autopolis

'70s neo classic trash that I could actually live with.  Maybe.  If I was in my 50s and a millionaire in the 1970s thanx to a publication that Id publish every month  featuring naked girls and in the middle of the magazine would be THE star feature naked girl  >the centerfold<     The nicknames Id give to these naked girls would be 'bunnies'. 

I wouldnt be a dirty old man  but an eccentric millionaire.   

Excalibur

Curbside Classic: 1975 Excalibur Series III Phaeton, 1989 Touring Sedan and  1990 Limousine – How A Semi-Tasteful Beginning Became The Epitome Of Kitsch  | Curbside Classic

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

'70s neo classic trash that I very VERY agree is trash.

Superfly Cadillacs

70s Blaxploitation Movies – Ricochet

Why do I feel like I'm watching the beginning part of "Live and Let Die?"  They can't do stuff like that anymore.  Not P.C.  But my friends and I sure liked it.

- - - - -

On a different note, some good news for plane buffs:

You can realistically fly on an Airbus 380 in the near-term future.  And you don't have to be flying Emirates, Singapore, or Qantas to do so.

British Airways has it on the MIA-LHR (London Heathrow) schedule.  You don't need to be going to London (and I wouldn't necessarily want to, since they drive on the wrong side of the street and it can be hazardous to cross the street with an American frame of mind), but you can take it elsewhere to Europe.

I thought it might be back on the JFK-LHR route.  Instead, they are running several 777s a day on that route.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Why do I feel like I'm watching the beginning part of "Live and Let Die?"  They can't do stuff like that anymore.  Not P.C.  But my friends and I sure liked it.

- - - - -

On a different note, some good news for plane buffs:

You can realistically fly on an Airbus 380 in the near-term future.  And you don't have to be flying Emirates, Singapore, or Qantas to do so.

British Airways has it on the MIA-LHR (London Heathrow) schedule.  You don't need to be going to London (and I wouldn't necessarily want to, since they drive on the wrong side of the street and it can be hazardous to cross the street with an American frame of mind), but you can take it elsewhere to Europe.

I thought it might be back on the JFK-LHR route.  Instead, they are running several 777s a day on that route.

Wonder how long before Omnicron virus version shuts it all down again. 🤔

• Sad 1

Flying in an A380 is definitely a thing I wanna do.  (I despise the term 'bucket list' so Ill refuse to call it that...)  

Unfortunately, Air France had long since stopped flying  it (2014 being the last year I think) for Paris-Montreal directs flights and I dont think British Airways will do London-Montreal anytime time soon with the A380 either... 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Early early reports are saying that Omicron wont be that severe.  Hoping that it wont be. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-59463879

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/28/omicron-covid-variant-spreads

So this is reverse fear from the media and politicians?

Hurry, lets starts conspiracy theories because media and politicians are saying NOT to worry...when we damn well know they put fear to sell to us and control us...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The original Stutz Blackhawk was the purest, and I do like it. The rims were unique, the thin-stripe tires are neat, and there weren't yet any garish colors or wide-whites/wire basket rims. Don't even get me started on the converts or the 4-drs. The original's proportions are very good, not exclusively because it was based on the '69 Grand Prix stunner. The only thing I would change would be to eliminate that thick chrome... whatever-it-is above the side exhaust.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 1.08.17 AM.png

But yeah; Olds covered the gist of what I was referring to; over-the-top Neo-classics.

For the record, I kinda like the Cadillac interior posted above because it's SO different (but I don't care for greens much on autos & would have to see it in person). Cadillac used to have dozens & dozens of different upholstery options in a given year. The Regal has nothing wrong with it stylistically, it's just boring.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, David said:

I hope that we'll be better equipped to deal with this crap and not alter how we live our lives.  It never ends.

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Flying in an A380 is definitely a thing I wanna do.  (I despise the term 'bucket list' so Ill refuse to call it that...)  

Unfortunately, Air France had long since stopped flying  it (2014 being the last year I think) for Paris-Montreal directs flights and I dont think British Airways will do London-Montreal anytime time soon with the A380 either... 

Early early reports are saying that Omicron wont be that severe.  Hoping that it wont be. 

I also hate the term "bucket list."  I probably use the term "to do list" more.

I recall that AF had 3 nonstops a day from Montreal to Paris, all on different wide bodies.  You might get on either a 747, a 777, or an Airbus 340!

I once flew from YUL to Paris on the evening 747.  It was a fantastic experience.  I got to sit upstairs.  I didn't even ask for that.  I got upgraded.  Then, the flight is less than 7 hours.  Then, based on the direction of the take-off, I got to see the Oratory, Mont-Royal, Centre-Ville, and the river from my window.  I only wish I had had a better camera.  

AF does not plan to put the A 380 back into service.  And, if they did, I doubt they'd use it for Montreal.  I was scheduled on an AF A 380 from Atlanta to Paris, and connecting onward to Italy, in June of 2020.  Obviously, they cancelled the trip and put the miles back into my account.  I was counting the days for the trip ... and to fly on that behemoth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

The original Stutz Blackhawk was the purest, and I do like it. The rims were unique, the thin-stripe tires are neat, and there weren't yet any garish colors or wide-whites/wire basket rims. Don't even get me started on the converts or the 4-drs. The original's proportions are very good, not exclusively because it was based on the '69 Grand Prix stunner. The only thing I would change would be to eliminate that thick chrome... whatever-it-is above the side exhaust.

But yeah; Olds covered the gist of what I was referring to; over-the-top Neo-classics.

For the record, I kinda like the Cadillac interior posted above because it's SO different (but I don't care for greens much on autos & would have to see it in person). Cadillac used to have dozens & dozens of different upholstery options in a given year. The Regal has nothing wrong with it stylistically, it's just boring.

Greens can be a negative.  Very few of them work.

As for boring, I've been boring for a long time.  But, at the same time, reliability can be a good form of boredom.

I filed away this photo within the last few days.  It's very green.  I saw this within the last 6 months from a DART rail train going through a nice part of Dallas. 

KIMG0226.thumb.JPG.a0b2e54f91e63e1a25e9e71ca3809c1b.JPG

This thing is a fright.

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

I dont like the side exhaust at all. That chrome thing sticking out like that is hideous.

I do like the silhouette. Like you said, the proportions are spot on.   

About that Parthenon grill.  If it was more bigger, it be better. And by bigger I mean of it was slightly longer Id prefer it more.   Not by much. Kinda like a MK III  Continental

The Continental Life: 1971 MK III – NotoriousLuxury

Eliminating the smaller lights and pushing the main lights in their place instead.  Or keeping the smaller lights but reversing their positions with the bigger lights. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Greens can be a negative.  Very few of them work.

As for boring, I've been boring for a long time.  But, at the same time, reliability can be a good form of boredom.

I filed away this photo within the last few days.  It's very green.  I saw this within the last 6 months from a DART rail train going through a nice part of Dallas. 

KIMG0226.thumb.JPG.a0b2e54f91e63e1a25e9e71ca3809c1b.JPG

This thing is a fright.

That BMW SAV is ugly AF.  Especially in that awful shade of green.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1