Random Thoughts Thread

On 9/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Questionable father is more of a monarch thing.

Failure as a husband that he eventually cheated on his wife would also be a monarchy thing.  His then girlfriend Camilla was not princessy like.  She didnt exude virgin vibes.  Diana was just 19 when they got married. He was 32.     Both were forced upon each other for monarchy image reasons.

When you analyze it a tad deeper, Diana was just 16 when she met her prince.  How phoqued up is that? They got married in 1981.  That would be AD.  Not BC.   I dunno about you, but my non-royal Greek a$$ has higher standards for my daughter than for me to ship her off without an education and I dont care if that person is 'royalty' almost twice her age.  As we eventually saw from both, money does not bring happiness. 

I dont really care for any royalty, much less for the British one, but I dont fault King Charles III for his failed marriage to Diana. I blame the hypocritical institution that is the British monarchy.  Not that I care all that much.

I get that there are Monarchy things, but on thinking on this since you posted it, I still do blame Charles. I agree that Diana parents FAILED her as parents as a 16 year old should have never been involved with a 30 year old.

@ 32 years of age, he knew better on how to behave as a man, husband, father. He still fails his own sons in what we have seen in both the European and North American News IMHO and the Skank wife of his I leave it at that, a SKANK!

Hi mom was a steady hand for the country but also one could say a failure as a mother to her own son and should at least by the age of 80 seen that and made better plans than to allow him to become king.

Prince William will be a better husband, father and king than his dad ever will be and I hope his dad has a short time on the throne.

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Where To Rent A Car In NYC For An Affordable Price

Meh to the crapy Audi's and Meh to the tower. Solemn place to visit, but I feel they could have done better than that one building.

3 hours ago, David said:

I get that there are Monarchy things, but on thinking on this since you posted it, I still do blame Charles. I agree that Diana parents FAILED her as parents as a 16 year old should have never been involved with a 30 year old.

@ 32 years of age, he knew better on how to behave as a man, husband, father. He still fails his own sons in what we have seen in both the European and North American News IMHO and the Skank wife of his I leave it at that, a SKANK!

LOL

Im not invested in the Royals to give you an answer back.  

Oh....I do have rebuttals, but I dont give a shyte about them. I aint wasting my time for them. 

My country wants to make a national holiday to mourn the Queen's death on her burial to which I BEG that we dont have to.  (Yeah....Id rather go to work, not sell a single french fry and lose money on that day than be forced to celebrate and mourn a royal.)   The government wants all the Provinces to agree to that though.  Thank the Lord I happen to live in Quebec and it wont matter if English Canada votes yes to a national mourn/holiday as Quebec doesnt give a shyte about British Royalty. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Meh to the tower. Solemn place to visit, but I feel they could have done better than that one building.

It didnt have to be done better. It just had to be done.   And be done quickly. And it was done quickly despite all the possible entities being involved that had their own agendas.   

And Im happy the Freedom Tower itself and the other WTC buildings didnt have ANY resemblance of remembering or commemorating the fallen Twin Towers like the first proposals.  

Im glad the Freedom Tower is a big block of pure American Skyscraper looking tall and solid like a big American athlete/boxer with its chest puffed up saying to all that were involved in those terrorist attacks, phoque you, I was down, but know Im up and stronger than before.  And Im here to represent Liberty and Freedom that much louder!

838 The Statue Of Liberty Freedom Tower And Manhattan Stock Photos,  Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

WTC 2 is yet to be decided upon and obviously built.  But there is a skyscraper void in the skyline.  I cant wait for it to rise up! 

The memorial is great

9/11 museum scrapping 20th anniversary memorial is a disgrace

that a building(s) built to  remind us that twin towers once stood there would keep the skyline as a permanent visual scar and not propel New Yorkers and all Americans to stand proud and strong. Only to always see a scar and continue to weep. 

My visit to the World Trade Center Memorial and Oculus – Charlotte Geary |  Northern Virginia commercial and portrait photographer

A Visit to The One World Observatory, 911 Memorial and Museum

Freedom Tower at One World Trade Center - Proud and Soaring Thing New York,  USA | The Plan

Brooklyn Bridge over East River, Lower Manhattan skyline, including Freedom  Tower of World Trade Center, New

The triangular facets are very imposing and the sunlight highlights them when the rays hit them.

Just my  opinion.

BTW, it took a decade plus, as I have read in some sources,   before anybody and especially New Yorkers to warm up to the Twin Towers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@oldshurst442 Glad you like it, I have been once, more than enough for my lifetime. Not really a city person, so could care less if a second one ever gets built. 

Though with that statement, I would have to say that I have never understood the attraction to dense city living. Rather live in the woods, but the wife likes her shopping mall and so suburban living on a 1/3rd of an acre lot size is for me. At least I have space.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Very interesting story on Ford. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/ford-outlines-ev-investment-structure-for-its-dealers-as-it-chases-tesla-like-profit.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/watch-live-biden-touts-electric-vehicles-at-the-detroit-auto-show.html

First round of funds to start construction on the 500,000 charging stations in 35 states.

Question I have is why not all states?

One has to wonder how many launch edition EVs will get destroyed by people lacking attention to how fast they are and having an accident.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/we-waited-years-for-the-rivian-r1t-to-launch-but-someone-crashed-it-after-just-200-miles-198512.html

11 minutes ago, David said:

First round of funds to start construction on the 500,000 charging stations in 35 states.

Question I have is why not all states?

I just read something on this and I believe the ones not included were listed under "submitted". I assume this means they've sent their proposal for the funds but it hasn't been approved yet. 

infrastructure-plan-dot-91422-1663182913.png.89ce7b3fb04e0f98559217908438d420.png

1 minute ago, David said:

One has to wonder how many launch edition EVs will get destroyed by people lacking attention to how fast they are and having an accident.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/we-waited-years-for-the-rivian-r1t-to-launch-but-someone-crashed-it-after-just-200-miles-198512.html

I have a feeling this will happen a "fair amount" with these extremely heavy EVs that are insanely quick, R1T, Hummer, Lightning. Trying to haul 8-10,000lb down from those acceleration rates is beyond the capabilities of the vehicle and physics. 

• Agree 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Where To Rent A Car In NYC For An Affordable Price

I ignored the cars.  They're not my style.

However, I like and am getting used to the new skyline of Lower Manhattan.  Sooner than later, I want to go to the observatory at the top.  I've gone to the upper level of the previous WTC twice - in 1984 and 1996.  I've never been to the Empire State Building, but I've walked past it.  The WTC site has a much nicer position, with views of the harbor, other boroughs, and more of the bridges.

Also, downtown Manhattan can be really cool on an off-peak Sunday because it was surprisingly quiet.  I've actually parked my Cutlass on or near Wall Street for free, walked to Battery Park, and boarded the Staten Island ferry, which is a great adventure in and of itself.  It was also a relief from being at the house of my eccentric but brilliant NYU schooled chemist uncle, where the lodging was free. I've always found that NYers are goofier, funnier, more direct, and friendlier than one might think.  OTOH, Chicagoans are defensive about their city and area to the point of coming across as insecure.  You can have the Windy City.  I got my hands on a National Geographic when I was a kid, and saw how all the boroughs are laid out, on islands, with water all around, and with topography and knew this city and metro area were a gem. 

IxvH28=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Four out of five of NYC's boroughs are on islands.  Only the Bronx is attached to the very bottom part of New York state.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I ignored the cars.  They're not my style.

I posted that particular pic because of the contrast between the Freedom Tower, the surrounding buildings, the water and the cars.  Not the brand of car, but the automobiles themselves.  It was a nice picture to share.  And like I said, the Freedom Tower on the day that I posted it was on the 12th.  

German cars have their place, obviously, but German cars are not my style either.

Had I lived in Greece, a German car would probably be in my style to own and drive.

• Haha 1

Hence the black and white picture.  It is from a village on a Greek island.  

@David mentioned living in thee woods.   Im a city slicker so I dont like that lifestyle. However,  I could give Greek island village a try.   I have done it couple of months at a time when I was younger on vacay.   I could eventually return to that kind of life IF it was like how my mom grew up. 

Which is not.   

Yeah, her growing up in that kind of poverty did suck and hence why many Greeks came over to North America, but her life had advantages that in 2022 we will NEVER see again. 

Clean air.  Fresh fruit directly on the tree.  etc.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Hence the black and white picture.  It is from a village on a Greek island.  

@David mentioned living in thee woods.   Im a city slicker so I dont like that lifestyle. However,  I could give Greek island village a try.   I have done it couple of months at a time when I was younger on vacay.   I could eventually return to that kind of life IF it was like how my mom grew up. 

Which is not.   

Yeah, her growing up in that kind of poverty did suck and hence why many Greeks came over to North America, but her life had advantages that in 2022 we will NEVER see again. 

Clean air.  Fresh fruit directly on the tree.  etc.

I have fresh fruit on my trees, figs were very yummy this year. I also have plenty of fresh air thanks to the PNW drizzle. 🤪

On 9/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, trinacriabob said:

It's Oscar De La Hoya, whose boxing skills took an East L.A. boy out of East L.A.

Thanks, do not watch sports so have no idea who they are. He looks happy though. 😃

1.6 miles/KW is a true joke. I agree.  

The EV Hummer stays true to its original Hummer statement of  pi&&ing on environmentalists!!!  This I find very funny!!!
But alas, the EV Hummer is also a poster car.  None of the poster cars that I know of are efficient in energy use or good for the environment.  So Im totally OK with the EV Hummer getting shytty  mileage kilowattage(?)

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

lol 1.6 miles per kilowatt is atrocious.

Also, here's the actual article.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/612030/hummer-ev-range-test/

This is not an auto for efficiency, but performance and ultimate off-road handling. It is a poster auto to show what can be done with various tech. No one should expect amazing range per kilowatt. Heck even the Tesla Platinum in their performance mode gets terrible ratings. Like all things, when it comes to showing off performance, mileage will always suffer.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Regardless, it's still atrocious.

I'd say the same thing if it were an ICE with 1000hp/tq getting 8mpg. It's one of those vehicles that's comically inefficient. 

You are just a contrarian...

Nobody is DEBATING that it is atrocious.  Because it IS.

But what the Hummer EV is NOT, and NEVER was meant to be, nor was it EVER marketed as such, the Hummer ICE or EV was never a Prius from Toyota...

I dont care what you would say about a 1000hp/tq getting 8 mpg.  

But its comically hypocritical of you to bash the EV Hummer in this way and downright Fox News style, Tucker Carlson/Kellyanne Conway/Alex Jones/ misinformation/alternative facts messed up opinion is what you are doing right now. 

Same as the Hertz EV rent-a-car...

Its annoying as hell what you are doing. 

Judge the phoquing thing as as what it is, NOT for what it isnt... 

Its the same phoquing thing when we debated about the Dodge Challenger Hellcat and Tesla Model S Plaid not being track cars and you slyly and connivingly tried to troll your way in telling me I should have a problem with Dodge because they offer in the TV screen thing an option called "track mode" on the Hellcat...

But hey...you do you.

PS

Good Morning GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

But its comically hypocritical of you to bash the EV Hummer in this way and downright Fox News style, CNN Style, Tucker Carlson/Kellyanne Conway/Alex Jones/ misinformation/alternative facts messed up opinion is what you are doing right now. 

What in the fck are you talking about? 

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Same as the Hertz EV rent-a-car...

Agree to disagree, I just don't think that's a good application for EV adaption. 

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Judge the phoquing thing as as what it is, NOT for what it isnt...

It's a vehicle sold to the public. It isn't a commercial-only vehicle. David posted the article (which was just a link to the actual article. I'm not sure why he didn't just post the actual article.) and I laughed at the inefficiency of it. Just because they're not advertising it as efficient doesn't mean efficiency doesn't matter, hence the artlcie written AND David's link about it's efficiency. 

Why not get on David for posting a link to ANYTHING related to the Hummer's efficiency? If the efficiency doesn't matter, why even post an article about it? 

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Its the same phoquing thing when we debated about the Dodge Challenger Hellcat and Tesla Model S Plaid not being track cars and you slyly and connivingly tried to troll your way in telling me I should have a problem with Dodge because they offer in the TV screen thing an option called "track mode" on the Hellcat...

Oh, I'm sorry Dodge literally advertises their vehicle to be track capable. Do I need to post the screen shots from their own website again or are you just going to dismiss them as if the company isn't advertising it as a track car? 

So, on one hand you're saying that the company needs to advertise the vehicle to do a thing(efficiency - Hummer) but on the other hand if the company does advertise the vehicle to do a thing (track capable - Hellcat Challenger) you'll dismiss it because you don't see it as a track-ready car. 

I guess you're just trying to have it both ways. 

25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What in the fck are you talking about? 

Just because YOU judge the Hummer EV harshly because its not an efficient EV, doesnt make your opinion a correct one.  Your opinion is shyte and false. Your judgment is wrong and stupid. 

Ditto for everything else that I just mentioned.  Dodge Hellcat offers a track mode. Its a good enough track car. The Hellcat is not THE best track car around, because it does NOT have the right engineering components for it to be.  YOU know that ESPECIALLY as a car enthusiast that you are.  But you will say ANYTHING just to be a contrarian to what the CORRECT response should be.  You do you.  

As far as the EV rent-a-car thing goes.

250-320 mile range gets you driving in a city for about 4 days without recharging.  Same as a a gas powered car.  When vacationing, one also walks in a city of vacation to get to actually see the phoquing city.  Boston, New York, Montreal, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, ALL have GREAT restaurants.  AWESOME shopping quarters.  Boston, New York, Montreal all have GREAT historic sites that walking is the ONLY way of exploring.   Driving is NOT an option when doing these things.  The EV, if need be, gets to be charged during THIS time period when exploring the vacationing destination on foot therefore no time wasted on your part charging the EV...

Going to the beach in Greece or Miami or South Carolina...the EV is just used getting to the beach. For 3-4 hours, you are swimming and playing water games and eating on the boardwalk. The EV gets to be charged during this time...

Going to Disneyworld or Land in Anaheim or Orlando or any other theme park. If you dont hotel in the park itself and have to drive there, the EV gets charged while you explore the theme park. Its fair to say that one spends a good 6 hours at these parks...  Plenty of time to get a FULL charge. As with ALL scenarios I mentioned...

Full charge means 250-320 mile range... 

YOU know that as YOU have mentioned that to several posters that may have range anxiety about 250-320 mile ranges...  

That would be 3-4 days of driving great distances per day.  Vacation time is usually 2 weeks...   Walking and exploring on foot is done probably MOST of that 2 week span.  Even if one goes to Montreal and then wants to go to Quebec City.  One walks downtown Montreal. Then one walks Old Montreal. The EV is fully charged and no need to charge up going to Quebec City.  One charge. When one gets to Quebec City, one recharges the EV. But one WALKS to see Quebec City. No need to drive as Quebec is small and quaint.  On that same charge, one goes back to Montreal, back to the hotel.  One charges up the EV while fine ding in Montreal and 250-320 mile range is at your disposal again. One gets to drive 3-4 days before one gets to leave to go back home.  Montreal's airport is less than 15 miles away from the downtown core anyway...  15 miles...    250-320 mile range for the average EV in 2022...

Again... your judgement is wrong. Whether you are being a contrarian, obtuse on purpose or just forgetful on some facts and dont apply them properly, your opinion is shyte and false. Your judgment is wrong and stupid and its annoying as phoque when the same shyte is spewed by you time and time again... 

Edited by oldshurst442

16 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Just because YOU judge the Hummer EV harshly because its not an efficient EV, doesnt make your opinion a correct one.  Your opinion is shyte and false. Your judgment is wrong and stupid.

image.png.36a6a36143a02b7eb45f838fe1c24771.png

19 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

When vacationing, one also walks in a city of vacation to get to actually see the phoquing city.  Boston, New York, Montreal, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, ALL have GREAT restaurants.  AWESOME shopping quarters.  Boston, New York, Montreal all have GREAT historic sites that walking is the ONLY way of exploring.   Driving is NOT an option when doing these things.  The EV, if need be, gets to be charged during THIS time period when exploring the vacationing destination on foot therefore no time wasted on your part charging the EV...

There are soooo many more places in the US that aren't the largest cities. 

But, like I've already said, agree to disagree because I simply do not agree with what you're saying is actually making the user experience better than an ICE vehicle would. That's simply all I've said the entire time. The user experience is more inconvenient renting an EV than it would be renting and ICE vehicle. 

Nothing you or David has said has proven that it is more convenient to rent an EV than an ICE vehicle. You've, to summarize, just said, "it isn't that much worse." But neither of you can come up with a reason why it would be a better user experience to rent an EV over an ICE vehicle. 

27 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

your opinion is shyte and false. Your judgment is wrong and stupid

At least you're remaining civil. 

I live somewhere in the Montreal region. For whatever reason, I dont own a car.  I want to rent a vehicle to go to Stowe Vermont for skiing or Lake Placid to see the former winter Olympic site.

From a central spot in Laval, to Stowe, its a 118 mile drive.

From that same Centropolis Laval spot to Lake Placid, its an almost equal distance.  123 miles. 

I chose Laval to be at a more north point to the US...

250-320 mile range....

Ski for 2-3 hours or explore the former Olympic site for about as much time and the EV is charged while I do what I need to do while Im NOT using the EV and the EV is ready to go back home...      Go back home, the car is charged somewhere and the next day when the car is due to go back tom Hertz and no problem renting an EV.  The charging somewhere might pose a slight inconvenience, but the bigger picture is that I, we friends or family, skied in Stowe or visited Lake Placid.   Bigger picture here...   And not that big of a deal to charge a phoquing EV...

Mountain out of a mole hill.

And I could do that with somebody flying to Toronto and then wanting to visit Niagara Falls.  Including then US side...  Or any other place in the US that is populated and not in the middle of middle America nowhere...  

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

EV is charged while I do what I need to do while Im NOT using the EV and the EV is ready to go back home... 

Is that charger EXACTLY where you're wanting to explore? 

Also, you're going to leave your car parked at a charger for 2-3 hours? If it's a Supercharger, Tesla will charge you for idling your vehicle at a charger. 

The charging somewhere might pose a slight inconvenience,

Exactly. 

I've said this dozens of times here. Owning an EV is great. You get all of the benefits of an EV, charging at home over night, leaving home fully charged, and charging is super cheap at home. All of those benefits go out the window when you rent and and don't have access to charge overnight. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Its hard to remain civil when falsehoods keep on repeating themselves...

When logic is interfered with nonsensical fear mongering and absolute alternative facts.

Now...I understand that your truth is true in some instances...

But...

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There are soooo many more places in the US that aren't the largest cities. 

This is the kind of bullshyte opinion that bugs me...

1. 80% of the US population LIVES in the largest US cities. In the East Coast.  Although the PNW has a large population and the PNW IS trying to accomodate the EV revolution.  

2. So...a possible inconvenience for the 20% means that EV Hertz rent-car should be ditched when the 80% wont feel a thing? 

When discussing, mention right off the bat that there WILL be an inconvenience to the 20% of the American population that is not populated. Places like Wyoming and Utah...  I underrated this.  You do too. But your discussion of things is very disingenuous ...

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Is that charger EXACTLY where you're wanting to explore? 

Of course it...

Its 2022 for phoque's sake...  

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Also, you're going to leave your car parked at a charger for 2-3 hours? If it's a Supercharger, Tesla will charge you for idling your vehicle at a charger. 

You move it...  Chargers are close to tourist places.  OMG...you will have to move the car...

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Exactly. 

I've said this dozens of times here. Owning an EV is great. You get all of the benefits of an EV, charging at home over night, leaving home fully charged, and charging is super cheap at home. All of those benefits go out the window when you rent and and don't have access to charge overnight. 

Exactly on the small inconvenience.

1st world problems...

That you have to move a car...on vacation. Spending hundreds of dollars if not thousands visiting another place buying useless trinket souvenirs and dining like a pig in restaurants...

Dude...  

It aint an inconvenience.  Just because you say it is doesnt make it so...  Hell, it aint even a compromise with the amount of other time wasting shyte we do in our regular daily lives. Including posting on internet forums... 

Trolling some people is what GM does from time to time. 

Remember the 1960 Corvair?  They essentially trolled Ralph Nader by continuing production after his book was published until 1970. 

The new Hummer, like the ICE version before that, is meant to troll environmentalists who only want public transportation ONLY (and at best want only FIAT 500 and Mini Coopers on the road)!  As for its off-road capabilities, they are probably very good for those who are willing to buy it.

• Like 1

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

You move it...  Chargers are close to tourist places.  OMG...you will have to move the car...

Oh that isn't annoying. Let's plug in, go walk around, walk back, move car, continue on with what we were doing. 

How is this more convenient than an ICE vehicle again? 

Exactly on the small inconvenience.

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

It aint an inconvenience. 

Which is it? 

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

As for its off-road capabilities, they are probably very good for those who are willing to buy it.

As long as there aren't trees around, there probably isn't a single vehicle better than it from the factory. There are some good ones out now, but I bet this would walk all around them. 

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Trolling some people is what GM does from time to time. 

Remember the 1960 Corvair?  They essentially trolled Ralph Nader by continuing production after his book was published until 1970. 

The new Hummer, like the ICE version before that, is meant to troll environmentalists who only want public transportation ONLY (and at best want only FIAT 500 and Mini Coopers on the road)!  As for its off-road capabilities, they are probably very good for those who are willing to buy it.

To boot, its still gets a 329 mile range rating...  Despite its atrocious efficiency...  

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Which is it? 

Confirning your response that your 'exactly' was on my 'inconvenience' response.  

Which it aint.

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh that isn't annoying. Let's plug in, go walk around, walk back, move car, continue on with what we were doing. 

Dont brush off this response:

1st world problems...

That you have to move a car...on vacation. Spending hundreds of dollars if not thousands visiting another place buying useless trinket souvenirs and dining.

This is a reality YOU dont want to admit exists.

If YOU want to say it is an inconvenience, you would be a very entitled SOB.  One that garners NO empathy from me.

If you walk around Montreal, yes Montreal, not Venice beach, but Montreal, and you have to move your rented EV car while passing by these individuals and whine about it...

City of Montreal calls on Quebec government for year-round housing, shelter  space for homeless

Atwater Metro station...downtown Montreal.  You are one tone deaf individual. And quite frankly, an a&&hole... 

Like In said... 

1st world problems...

That you have to move a car...on vacation. Spending hundreds of dollars if not thousands visiting another place buying useless trinket souvenirs and dining.

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So @oldshurst442, will you please explain to me, and dumb it down as much as possible because I'm having a difficult time understanding - obviously - , how is it more convenient to rent an EV than it is to rent an ICE vehicle? 

Dont be coy.   You are not stupid.  

Ive explained it thoroughly. 

Chargers in major US cities and in Canada, especially in the touristy areas, are EVERYWHERE.  Where one hotels (as a verb) when visiting downtown cores or beaches or theme parks...   

250-320 average 2022 EV vehicle miles are more than enough to get you going for your necessary winding down time from your 1st world stress.  

Charging the car over night when sleeping is also an option AT the hotel underground parking if you are such an entitled prick that when walking around at a downtiown core of any city is too much for you. Never you mind that you pass your parked car several times over when walking around...

Dont pretend than you dont understand...  

Unless of course you have never vacationed that you dont understand. And if THAT is the case, then why the phoque have you an opinion on something that you dont know about but want to die on a hill for for being an idiot? 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Regardless, it's still atrocious.

I'd say the same thing if it were an ICE with 1000hp/tq getting 8mpg. It's one of those vehicles that's comically inefficient. 

So true and yet there is a market for people who do not care about MPG or kW per miles used.

Example is I own an SS that gets on average 12 miles per gallon on Premium fuel but is a blast to drive.

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Dont be coy.   You are not stupid.  

Ive explained it thoroughly. 

Then will you please re-quote that because I must have missed it. 

14 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Charging the car over night when sleeping is also an option AT the hotel underground parking if you are such an entitled prick

Do you really believe every hotel has public chargers available? 

8 minutes ago, David said:

So true and yet there is a market for people who do not care about MPG or kW per miles used.

Example is I own an SS that gets on average 12 miles per gallon on Premium fuel but is a blast to drive.

100%! That's why they gave it a ~212kw battery. They knew what they were doing and who they were marketing it towards. 

My wife's G55 is almost identical to your SS, 12mpg on premium. It's ATROCIOUS... but we love driving it. It's also why we take my vehicle waaay more often than not. 

12mpg on premium vs 25mpg on regular. 

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The user experience is more inconvenient renting an EV than it would be renting and ICE vehicle. 

How, there is no difference in renting an EV over an ICE. Paperwork to rent is the same steps, driving is pretty much the same. Everything about using an EV versus an ICE is the same. Only difference is Fueling at a pump versus a Charger. Those can also be good or bad depending on where you fuel/charge. I see no difference in renting.

Nothing you or David has said has proven that it is more convenient to rent an EV than an ICE vehicle. You've, to summarize, just said, "it isn't that much worse." But neither of you can come up with a reason why it would be a better user experience to rent an EV over an ICE vehicle. 

Plenty of positive reasons for an EV being more Convenient than an ICE. Unlike an ICE in heavy traffic, you burn fuel, you emit plenty of exhuast emissions where an EV does neither. Postive for the EV. Longer range on the Charge than on Fuel. Currently a BIG BIG positive for EV over ICE is that if you rent a Kia or Hyundai, you have the ports to run electric stuff while at the beach, national park, etc. something no ICE rental has for that purpose. Yes, many ICES now have electrical outlets in the auto or at least powered USB ports, but we have EVs that actually have power ports designed to allow electrical use off the auto wherever one might be without having to run the Engine in an ICE to keep power going on the ICE without running down the small battery pack.

You bring up inconvenient, there are plenty of places one could travel too in an EV or ICE and NOT have a Fueling Station or a Charging station. Both positive and negative depending on how one looks at it.

Positive is that you rent an ICE Jeep Wrangler, ignoring your tank full of gas, go to MOAB and drive the trail and run out of gas. Long hike back unless you find someone else willing to sell or give you gas. NO FUEL station at MOAB trail Head. Yet drive a rechargable Hybrid Wrangler or pure EV like Rivian and you have Charging at the Trail Head. Better for Rivian as their Chargers are 350 kWH 800V chargers, so recharging the Rivian is a total of 72 minutes from 0 to 100% if you truly drove it to zero into the reserve charge, but most will be far less. Many other popular trails and national parks have Jeep or Rivian or other vendor Charge stations there. There are no fueling stations at the trial heads and many national parks do not have fuel stations all over, maybe one or two places, so you still have to watch your tank to make sure you have enough fuel to get through the area to the next station.

Yes, I totally agree, we keep civil in these discussions as it makes this enjoyable for all.

• Thanks 1

@David, thank you for giving me a legitimate response. 

One counter to burning fuel in heavy traffic would be that a parked EV still uses electricity, more in the extreme temperatures, hot and cold, but they do use electricity when parked. 

I do also dig the idea (that I just learned yesterday, actually) that the Hyundai/Kia twins have accessory power in the boot. They're not F150 levels but still a heck of a lot more than most outlets in the back of vehicles. 

That's GREAT that there are chargers at MOAB! 

Edited by ccap41

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Many Chargers at local outdoor sporting areas are level 2 so it would take 2 to 3 hours to recharge and yes, one would hope you would remember to check on your EV and once fully charge, move it for others to use. But unlike Tesla and I have not seen any Tesla Supercharger stations near Ski resorts, but I could be wrong, one does not get dinged for sitting past the 5 minutes of grace Tesla gives you before they charge for sitting there not allowing the use of a charger.

Like Apple Fans, Tesla Fans seem fine with sitting at their auto for the 30 to 45 minutes for charging and then move the auto and go on about visiting the area they are in.

Hertz has been renting out all their Tesla and Polestar autos and have more on order as demand is greater for EV rentals than supply currently. I see no problem with the GM/Hertz EV purchase for EV rentals. 

Yes, some places will be far more receptive to this than others and only time will tell how people respond to the Charging time. Who knows, Hertz could end up with a big money maker as people return them at the 10% or higher mark and let Hertz use their 350 kWh 800V chargers to recharge the auto's.

Hertz paid Tesla to install a few at each rental place of Tesla supercharging points and it seems they are well used as Tesla owners can also go to a Hertz and charge if they want having the rate charged back to their Tesla account.

Then will you please re-quote that because I must have missed it. 

its called selective reading and being a contrarian on your part...

Do you really believe every hotel has public chargers available? 

Where I come from, yeah.

As so where you come from too.  St Louis is not an isolated place.  If I ever wanted to see the Cards play for a day, or the Blues, Id be alright flying into your city and renting an EV for the week. 

Its up to YOU to prove me otherwise, because in Montreal, there is NO problem.  

Search in the description Eaton Center,  Molson Center,  Bonsecour Market.   All these places are at the extreme of one another from Old Montreal to the east (Bonsecour Market), in the middle of the area, Eaton Center downtown Montreal and to the west, Molson Center where the Canadiens play.  Not to far away from Atwater metro station where the Forum used to be... You could enter that too.   

https://lecircuitelectrique.com/en/find-a-station/

in and around Old and Downtown Montreal. 

And all the hotels 

https://chargemap.com/cities/montreal-CA

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

H'mmmm 🤔 We'll you cannot put the fuel pump in the gas tank, start the fueling and walk away from the auto and come back a few hours later. They would tow your auto so others could use the fuel pump.

Tesla owners have not had a problem with charging their auto and moving it. In fact at the shopping stores that Tesla has installed superstations like Fred Meyers on the west coast, people plug in, go do their shopping, come back move the auto if they still need to continue to shop or if done, load up and leave. 

No big deal.

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

100%! That's why they gave it a ~212kw battery. They knew what they were doing and who they were marketing it towards. 

My wife's G55 is almost identical to your SS, 12mpg on premium. It's ATROCIOUS... but we love driving it. It's also why we take my vehicle waaay more often than not. 

12mpg on premium vs 25mpg on regular. 

LOL, comfort over MPG in my household as why I have a performance SS, Performance Custom built Suburban also 9 mpg empty or full of people and my Escalade ESV at 14 mpg. LOL

Also, thinking on the on-Vacation travel as I just got back from visiting a friend for a long weekend from Galveston Texas and I noticed as they took my wife and I to the boardwalk to walk about and see the beach area that all the parking was paid parking with a 3hr maximum parking requiring one to have to move their ICE auto no matter what. Thinking on this, it was this way also in Hawaii when my kids took us to Maui for a year and half late celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary.

Many tourist areas have time limits requiring one to move their auto, ICE or EV. Even in large cities, like NY or Seattle there are time limits regardless of the type of auto, so moving one from a charging spot after 2 to 3 hours is no different than moving one's ice auto IMHO. 

At least with all the EVs on the market, one can monitor their EV while it charges and know when it is full so they can go move it.

10 minutes ago, David said:

H'mmmm 🤔 We'll you cannot put the fuel pump in the gas tank, start the fueling and walk away from the auto and come back a few hours later. They would tow your auto so others could use the fuel pump.

You're right, the whole process is completed in 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. It's completed in less time than walking to and from your charging EV, let alone moving it to a parking spot and getting back to what you were just doing. 

@ccap41 @oldshurst442 Due to the ease of adding chargers, this is becoming far more popular and will help with the transition to EVs over the crazy cost and EPA requirements for gas stations.

Campgrounds with EV charging stations in North America (chargehub.com)

Jeep EV Charging Stations at Off-Roading Trails to Be Built (businessinsider.com)

Jeep Wrangler 4xe Charger & Charging Station | Enel X Way

Rivian has published a map showing the off-road areas they are going to install or have installed Fast Chargers at like MOAB, Rubicon Trail, etc. Electric Bolt shows where they are installed already on the map.

Charging - Rivian

Update, Nation Parks have started to post all the charging stations and when new ones open due to the ease of installing chargers compared to fuel stations.

electric vehicle charging stations - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Seems Camping web sites are tracking this too.

6 National Parks With Convenient EV Charging Stations - Campendium

• Thanks 1

You're right, the whole process is completed in 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. It's completed in less time than walking to and from your charging EV, let alone moving it to a parking spot and getting back to what you were just doing. 

Again with the same bullshyte.

Ill be calling you Tucker from now on.