Random Thoughts Thread

Truth is...I wasnt bored.  Just making a point that snow is truly cute and all, when the sleigh bells go jingle-ing ring ting tingling.  

But its not all sleigh bell joyriding. As he also pointed out. 

So...

1. I had a chuckle because I found it cute that he measured the snowfall.

2. I had another chuckle that he wanted more of that white stuff.

More of what?

The  jingle-ing ring ting tingling sleigh bell riding kinda snow falls or the  kind that makes blasphemous words come out of ones mouth? 

Everybody loves...(yes Dean Martin, there is another song with those words I think)THAT kind of snowfalls...    

The ones that Dean Martin sings about.  

I find it cute that he continues telling us that he loves snow falls.  

I find it funny that anybody that deals with the blasphemous words type of snowfalls,  dont want more of it...they want no PART of it actually.  

I found it quite amusing is all.   Trolling, being bored. Whatever. 

But thanks for your concern. 

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I truly hate scraping ice off of my windshield or brushing snow off of a car...which is why I'm looking for a place w/ more garage space (so nothing has to sit outside next winter).

My single most hated thing I hate living on this planet is scraping ice off my car's windows and taking the snow off of it and shoveling my driveway to clear it.  I got a contractor to clear the snow off my driveway, but life is not perfect and he sometimes doesnt clear it when I get home...  So either my wife does it or me.  But I HATE HATE HATE shoveling phoquing snow.

Love playing in snow. Hate living with it day to day. 

But its part of Montreal's charm...  But if I have the phoquing funds to leave Montreal when I reach THAT age when my old bones wont be able to tolerate the cold and humid and snowey winters, Ill gladly leave. I would ONLY want to see snow on a TV or computer screen...   

As far as wanting more of it right now at my current age?

Well, we've had colder summer days during summer than we have had in October and November so far so THAT is disconcerting.  So yeah, kinda like @David, I wish there was some snow right about now on the ground...  

One thing I do like about working from home full time is I can be selective about when I go out, so I can avoid going out much in the bad weather.   I’ve always preferred more northern climates, only a few places that are snow-free that I generally like and they have many negatives.  I could see spending Jan and Feb someplace beachy eventually though.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

True dat.

And we are all in a place in life to know what we like and dont like.  

What I wanna know, is how many times does @David shovel his cars out of his driveway...and of he enjoys that as much as he loves skiing? 

Because I LOVE skiing. I HATE shoveling snow off my cars!!! 

Both involve snow. 

Like you said.

Reality is complex.  There is wet snow and dry snow and icey snow.

Then there is snow on ski slopes and snow on the road. Snow and ice on your ski goggles and snow and ice on your damned windshield...

I wanna know if he enjoys the snow and ice on his windshield trying to get to work on the freeway as much as he loves snow and ice on his goggles when he is skiing?

Shoveling snow is not a problem, rather than have a snow blower sit most of the time, the few weeks a year we have snow to shovel, I happily do it. My driveway is a big all-day deal as it is 35 feet or 10.668 meters wide and 65ft long or 19.812 meters long. Since it is a slope down into my garage and I do not want my wife or kids to slip, I get out and shovel it every time it snows to ensure clear walking.

Since I work from home full time, and my autos are all garage kept, I never have to clear ice if I go out. Even then it does not bother me to clear the windshield as I like the cold anything under 60 degrees or freezing is better than heat for me.

What Amazes me is I get that some homes have small garages, but the amount of people around where I live use it for storage and leave their autos out. Crazy, but I use the approach, if you have not touched it in 90 days, probably better to donate it to goodwill or sell it. I do get that some have hobbies like Roberts awesome model auto collection. We all have hobbies, but when your garage is full of stuff and most people do not remember what all is in it, that is hording a bad mental problem IMHO.

Snow/Ice on the freeway/roads does not bother me. Right tool for the right job as to why I have proper AWD SUVs with the proper tires and as we all like to use a little common sense on how to drive in the snow.

@oldshurst442 I will admit I am a weird person as I love snow, I love Rain, I love things green and to me, hate the sun. I love that Washington State only has about 3 months a year of sunny weather though this year we got 5 months straight of no rain or clouds, summer was hell for me and a record as Washington usually does not have that long of a dry, sunny summer. I hate heat, hate humidity. I do not mind snow, love it and the more we have the more snowpack for fresh water we have, healthier for the planet and better for the glaciers to rebuild.

Overall, we need more snow and cold temps to offset climate change to cool the earth down. 

U get that as we get older, we feel it in our joints, bones on rainy days, etc. Heat pumps are great for a home to regulate moisture levels and comfort year-round.

Our Ski season is usually first of December to mid-April, if we get a good winter, we can push it into June here. If the snow fall is really good like it was in 1994 and 2012 where we had ski season all year. Mt. Baker, Mt. Bachelor and Mt. Hood usually get enough snow to ski well into early summer. If this year is a powder dump like they are forecasting, I could be skiing well into summer 2023. Nothing like a sunny day on the mountain in Shorts and a t-shirt skiing.

53 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Don’t accidentally be too graceful, Cadillac. 

IMG_5990.MOV

I hope that was one of the preproduction LYRIQ that he reviewed. I will know for myself as I attend Cadillac's November 17th Grand Opening of the new Showroom and service center for Cadillac PNW by Brotherton where I have bought my past Cadillac's and they are to have LYRIQs there for us to check out. I will be taking pictures and having my wife snap them of me as I do my normal fit check of Me in the front seat, then in the back seat to see if I fit.

I am going to check out the charge door and see how it works as well.

Thank you for posting.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, Robert Hall said:

One thing I do like about working from home full time is I can be selective about when I go out, so I can avoid going out much in the bad weather.   I’ve always preferred more northern climates, only a few places that are snow-free that I generally like and they have many negatives.  I could see spending Jan and Feb someplace beachy eventually though.  

It's interesting how, among regular American folks, some gravitate toward northerly latitudes and some gravitate toward southerly latitudes.

If they relocate from one to the other, I notice that they tend to go back to the latitude they know.

Some Californians who moved up to Washington and Oregon during the different "waves" ended up going back to California.

Some Northeasterners or Midwesterners who moved to Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, or one of the metro areas in Florida end up going back up.

It's a baseline thing.  For one, northerly latitude and southerly latitude people (in the States, for one) seem to develop different personality styles.  Upon relocating, Californians in the PacNW are told to "tone it down," or they read the cues and do so.

- - - - -

My real random thought:

It's great when people can resist the movie stars, athletes, and other celebrities at the polls.

With me, someone's being a star or a celebrity most likely brings on the visceral reaction that I WON'T be voting for them.

"Just say no" - well, that was a "movie star's" wife who said that ...

* short rant *

• Agree 2

'latitudes and attitudes'...

Though I lived in the Florida Keys for 6 school years growing up, and 11 years in Colorado and 9 years in Arizona, NE Ohio has always felt like 'home' to me...been way happier the last 5 1/2 years I've lived back here than I did in Arizona.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

'latitudes and attitudes'...

Though I lived in the Florida Keys for 6 school years growing up, and 11 years in Colorado and 9 years in Arizona, NE Ohio has always felt like 'home' to me...been way happier the last 5 1/2 years I've lived back here than I did in Arizona.   

I like Colorado.  After living in the PacNW for a few years, the forestation and vegetation in CO seem drier - and they are.  I just have an issue with too much fleece, those "hiking shoes" everyone wears and seem to have been issued at birth, and, of course, the Subarus.  That would knock the forested communities of Northern New England out of the running, too.

Kate-Brown-2.jpg

Here you go:  Kate Brown, ex-governor of Oregon, and her husband doing some "free advertising" for LL Bean or Eddie Bauer or one of those companies.

I liked the physical geography of California and didn't think I would ever leave.  My entire family left, although not at all one time.  Having just gotten back, I realize how much I liked, and have always liked, interacting with New Yorkers and Northeasterners.   I get along with them more easily than the folks of any other American region.  But, then, our living room in CA while growing up was usually populated by transplanted New Yorkers and European immigrants.  The California natives were fine, too, and more relaxed, but nowhere near as colorful.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

I liked Colorado quite a bit...the diversity of the Denver metro area, the wide variety of tech job opportunities, the vistas of the mountains.  Definitely dryer than the PNW.    Lots of Subarus, but also lots of Jeeps.   Moving to Arizona was a family thing really, ultimately not a place I wanted to go.

I could see myself moving back to Colorado  maybe when I retire in 15 years or so..  a small town in the mountains like Salida, Buena Vista or Pagosa Springs could be a great place to live and explore.  I do like hiking and the outdoors, not to the extremes that others do (I'm not into tent camping), but I do love getting out in nature...I enjoy exploring the many parks in NE Ohio and its' North Coast. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Think they'll offer a full EV version this time around? 

That is what I am wondering.

Would make sense to offer a full EV version, otherwise I feel they are throwing away the marketing capital of the Prius line.

It would seem that even the German Auto Brands could not hold up against Genesis of Korea as they won the German Car of the Year award. That has got to hurt for the German brands.

Genesis Media Center : GENESIS GV60 NAMED "GERMAN PREMIUM CAR OF THE YEAR 2023"

The "German Car of the Year" (GCOTY) is chosen by an approximately 30-member jury, which selects five class winners through an online voting process. The selected cars represent the top of their respective segments and thus qualify for the final stage, where class winners compete against each other through test drives to determine an overall winner.

The all-electric GV60 won in the "Premium" category, which included new cars with a starting price between 30,000 and 60,000 euros. GV60 prevailed in this particularly competitive vehicle class, going up against well-known competition from Germany and abroad. Additionally, the brand’s first dedicated electric vehicle was also nominated in the "New Energies" category, which is dedicated to alternatively powered models.

"I am delighted that our first all-electric car, the Genesis GV60 has been named German Premium Car of the Year. The significance is not lost on anyone at Genesis; this is an award from the cream of German automotive media, for a Korean car on sale in Germany, the home of premium automotive brands," explains Lawrence Hamilton, Managing Director of Genesis Motor Europe GmbH.  "This award is extremely encouraging for everyone at Genesis; it means we have the right electric cars, the right design and the right technology to help us succeed in Europe – nothing is guaranteed, but this is a very strong indicator."

627311.jpg

On 11/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, ccap41 said:

I was thinking the same exact thing. Utilize the branding of the Prius name and just expand it. 

I doubt Toyota will do that because Toyota does NOT want to go full EV on any vehicle.  If they finally go full EV, they will use a different name rather than Prius.  Prius = hybrid, not EV.

I enjoyed reading this as the question posted is "What are the 3 best small performance sedans?"

As many posted responses and as the writer says, many would says German, with a focus on BMW M and Mercedes AMG.

Seems the top 3 are in the following order:

#3 Audi S3

#2 Audi S4

#1 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing

The 3 Best Small Performance Sedans According to Edmunds (motorbiscuit.com)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, David said:

This is such a cool VIDEO.

If the Slade was able to actually keep its nose down at launch, it might be a much closer race. Launch control for the Durango aside, that front end lift was the biggest reason for the loss by the Escalade. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

If the Slade was able to actually keep its nose down at launch, it might be a much closer race. Launch control for the Durango aside, that front end lift was the biggest reason for the loss by the Escalade. 

Agree, in searching online, those that have already got their hands on the Escalade V have stated it needs stiffer springs and the suspension needs to keep the nose down plus, the request for launch control also. 

I do wonder how long before the aftermarket has out an update flash for the system to allow for some of the same things in the Durango Hellcat to be added to the Escalade.

I feel like they stuffed the supercharged V8 in there and then minimal effort on the rest of the auto to cover warranty period and that was it. A half ass effort to give a decent performance SUV.

2 hours ago, David said:

Agree, in searching online, those that have already got their hands on the Escalade V have stated it needs stiffer springs and the suspension needs to keep the nose down plus, the request for launch control also. 

I do wonder how long before the aftermarket has out an update flash for the system to allow for some of the same things in the Durango Hellcat to be added to the Escalade.

I feel like they stuffed the supercharged V8 in there and then minimal effort on the rest of the auto to cover warranty period and that was it. A half ass effort to give a decent performance SUV.

Yes and no, about Cadillac doing minimal effort on the V version Escalade.

While Cadillac could have put more engineering effort in the AWD system to work better with the suspension set-ups, especially when the Escalade has the magnetic shocks, to make the Escalade a faster quarter-mile warrior. 

The question to ask though, is:

Does Cadillac really need for the Escalade V to be a faster vehicle?  

Its composure  during the quarter mile run is not confidence inspiring, true, but at the same time, the Escalade V doesnt really need to compete head-to-head with a HELLCAT Durango.    In the video, which I saw last week, Thomas says (the Briish dude, not the bearded Canadian dude) that if you never sat in the Escalade, you would never know how DOWNMARKET the Durango is.   THAT is one POWERFUL statement that means only one thing, one vehicle is a Dodge, and the other is a CADILLAC.  While its true that its a Cadillac, its strength as a vehicle lies not with it being a V Cadillac, but it being a Cadillac.  At the end of the day, the Durango is a Hellcat after all.  Losing to a Hellcat in a drag race is not that big of a deal.   The Escalade V is still the second fastest SUV in the world.  Not including the EV SUVs.  The Hellcat Durango gives fits to EV SUVs...  Like I said, not that big of a deal if the Escalade V is not tuned to be a drag racer.   What WOULD have been a problem is if Chevrolet made a Tahoe  SS version and THAT SS version would have behaved in the same manner the Escalade V behaves.  Then Id be inclined to agree with you.  At the end of the day, the Escalade V is crafted beautifully inside and out, worthy of THE Cadillac badge.  The V Escalade sounds mean. Its loud like a Hellcat engine.  Its actually louder and meaner...and its hella fast.  And THAT is good enough for a V designated Escalade. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Now imagine if Cadillac put the same efforts into ALL of its vehicles as it does the Escalade (V-series or not).  Then Cadillac can become the standard of the world again, like it was before 1970.

Yes!

But to be fair, Cadillac HAS been doing exactly that.  The CT4 and CT5, ESPECIALLY the V versions are fantastic on ALL fronts of the standard of the world equation.   Room to improve. Of course.  But it doesnt seem like Cadillac is letting off the gas pedal so to speak. 

The Lyriq's quality fit and finish and attention to detail seems to have left off where Cadillac's current products are, and then some. 

We'll not like many here have not said what goes up must come down. Mercedes is now at the bottom of the reliability ranking by Consumer Reports. @smk4565 will not be happy that his perfect little company makes the least reliable autos now on the planet.

2022 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability: Hybrids Come Out on Top, While Mercedes Hits Bottom | GearJunkie

image.png

• Thanks 1

Probably too much complexity.  Not just M-B, though.   Most vehicles today have insane amounts of electronics, wiring, etc...too many complex parts crammed into tight spaces.  Complexity for the sake of complexity.  Disposable appliances not designed to repair. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, David said:

We'll not like many here have not said what goes up must come down. Mercedes is now at the bottom of the reliability ranking by Consumer Reports. @smk4565 will not be happy that his perfect little company makes the least reliable autos now on the planet.

2022 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability: Hybrids Come Out on Top, While Mercedes Hits Bottom | GearJunkie

image.png

I am amazed that some of the ranges in reliable scores is so narrow on Buick and RAM.  Almost everyone else has models that are either really good, mediocre or really bad.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:33 AM, David said:

image.png

It is also "predicted reliability" their guess versus what past performance really is.  And they also tested 2 models.  

Not surprised that Toyota-Lexus lead the way.   

Also what do these even mean?  Like I can buy a BMW M5 and have more reliability and less maintenance costs than a Honda Civic?  

• Facepalm 1

Last night I was invited to our local Brotherton Cadillac Dealership Grand Re-Opening. They tore down the 1950's building which it used to be a Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac dealership. They saves the etched glass of the auto company logos but the dealership is a new EV compliant Cadillac only dealership now.

Was able to sit in the Cadillac LYRIQ and I have to say, they have a Home Run Hit on their hands. If Cadillac executes all EVs this way, they will be the standard of the world again.

I have to say that while I can fit in the drivers seat comfortably and then get out and get behind the front seat and had a fingers width between my knees and the back of the seat. Short drives for me would be fine, but long distances would be a bit tough. Yet most people are not my size and as such, plenty of people will find it very roomy and comfortable.

Fit n Finish is amazing, everything was so solid, quiet and just said luxury.

I did find some comments by others to be funny. One person who has a Tesla Y was there and checking it out as his wife liked the looks over the Tesla. He complained that it was busy and too much plastic surfaces. I did point out that this was a base RWD model and that the surfaces he was pointing too are the Piano finish glossy black surface that is supposed to be that way as many people like that finish/look. His wife pointed out that unlike his Tesla that she can never find anything till the auto is on and has to hunt through the menu screen, she could at least find the basic switches for stuff on the dash which to her was far easier and she liked the piano black finish inside.

I have to say that the steering wheel is logically laid out so was easy to make things happen.

Interesting observation is that like the videos on the web, when you touch the Cadillac logo on the power panel, the door opens about 3/4 of the way smoothly, pauses or glitches and then finishes going down. Thought it was weird at first till I talked with the GM engineers who were there to answer questions. To deal with cold weather places where Ice and Snow builds up much more, GM has a sensor in that door swing that test for obstruction. If it senses it, it actually stops. If it does not it finishes opening. A safety built in. Makes sense now.

Love the new Dealership and the experience.

There was a 1906 Cadillac for sale, asking price of $72,000 and then one of their customers actually drove their old Cadillac to the grand Re-opening. Talk about a sweet Yellow ride.

Food and a variety of drinks. Had a guy who brought in a variety of Single Malt Scotches for people to try including from the Scottish society that is not available to the public. WOW talk about smooth.

Over all a Great night.

20221117_172544.jpg20221117_172721.jpg20221117_172745.jpg20221117_173001.jpg20221117_173054.jpg20221117_173347.jpg20221117_173605.jpg20221117_185659.jpg20221117_190523.jpg20221117_174423.jpg20221117_174451.jpg20221117_174512.jpg20221117_174502.jpg20221117_182001.jpg20221117_191835.jpg20221117_191848.jpg20221117_191907.jpg20221117_192946.jpg20221117_192941.jpg20221117_192931.jpg

• Agree 3

Seems Toyota is proving just how far they are behind as their EVs suck in a number of areas especially battery pack size and range.

https://insideevs.com/news/622469/toyota-bz4x-norway-test-battery-buffer/

• Like 1

19F this morning…and sunny.  Brrrr. Way colder than I remember mid Nov the last 5 years.    Just a light dusting of snow so far, nothing like points further north east up Lake Erie...

Edited by Robert Hall

-2 Celsius here.  Google tells me -2 C is 28.4 F.   Sunny.  Snow in my backyard but not on the streets.  Id say its a pleasant day here.

I wouldnt want to be in Buffalo NY though.   Perfect now that the storm is gone. The ski slopes over at Stowe Vermont are probably rockin' with all that snow. But clearing all that snow must be a bitch.   With that being said, I am looking forward to Montreal's first snow storm of the season. None in sight so far though.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My favorite is

1. Summer

2. Fall

3. Winter

4. Spring

Yeah...I hate Spring.  Spring here is schizophrenic. It doesnt know if it wants to leave behind winter or summer to start and just BE Sping.  Sometimes Spring doesnt exist and it goes from winter to summer.  March is the worst.  For 2-3 days its summery feeling and the next is the worst kind of winter. It could be well BELOW freezing or it might blizzard a few feet of snow only to melt the next few days only to repeat the process.  Then April comes.  We might get snowfalls in April, but its the slush that rules the roads and sidewalks in April.  Its ugly and disgusting. 

I LOVE the seasons and weather in Montreal between the the first week of May all the way to mid October. 

Mid October to the first week of January is my second favorite.  

From the first week of January to the first week of May is my anathema. 

I love the warm, spring is in the air almost summer  aura that the month of May gives us.  I love the warm to slowly cooling air and the fall colours that Autumn gifts us equally.  But my happiest time is the summer.  Love the sun. Love heat.    

• Agree 1

On 11/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, riviera74 said:

I doubt Toyota will do that because Toyota does NOT want to go full EV on any vehicle.  If they finally go full EV, they will use a different name rather than Prius.  Prius = hybrid, not EV.

They've already gone full EV on a vehicle. It isn't Prius branded but they're currently selling the bZ4x.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

My favorite is

1. Summer

2. Fall

3. Winter

4. Spring

If living at a northerly latitude:

1.  Autumn

2.  Summer

3.  Spring

4. Winter

If living at a southerly latitude, especially one with a Mediterranean climate:

1.  Summer

2.  Spring

3. Autumn (tie)

3. Winter (tie)

There are so many different climates and micro-climates, even within short distances.  That's why my rankings differ.

However, for me, autumn is all about great photo opportunities.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

They've already gone full EV on a vehicle. It isn't Prius branded but they're currently selling the bZ4x.

OK.  Toyota has a full EV for sale.  They still should not brand it a Prius.  Time will tell if the Toyota bZ4x is successful.

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

If living at a southerly latitude, especially one with a Mediterranean climate

If I was living in a Mediterranean climate, 

1. Summer, summer aaaaaaaaand....summer.

2. Spring and Fall

3. Winter

Buuuut...

All the old Greeks that I have talked to over the years, the ones that were born in Greece and immigrated to Montreal, and I mean ALL of them, they told me that Greece is beautiful in the Spring and Fall.   In the Spring, it rains and green greenery everywhere as opposed to the summer when it doesnt rain at all and its brown and hot. Like hot hot.  Autumn is just as nice as its not as hot, one could still swim in the water and relatively NO TOURISTS. Which was a BIG thing with those old school Greeks.  

So...me loving the summer for a Greece scenario comes from the experience of me being a tourist in Greece and not as an inhabitant and obviously only visiting Greece IN the summer.  Maybe Id have the opinion of loving spring and fall more than summer like those old school Greeks if I actually lived there.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1