Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

Again with the same bullshyte.

Ill be calling you Tucker from now on. 

Call me Tucker, CNN, Fox News, whatever. It's still more of a hassle to rent an EV than an ICE vehicle. 

You guys can go rent your EVs and show me how convenient it is. As a wise man once told me: 

55 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

why the phoque have you an opinion on something that you dont know about but want to die on a hill for for being an idiot? 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You're right, the whole process is completed in 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. It's completed in less time than walking to and from your charging EV, let alone moving it to a parking spot and getting back to what you were just doing. 

🤣 I love how you and few others always say 5 min give or take a minute. I only see that for subcompacts. Most mid-size auto's take 10 minutes to fuel give or take a minute and full size; you have 20 minutes for sure. I have never seen my Escalade fuel up 33 gallons in less than 20 minutes at Costco or Fred Meyers, etc.

I think due to the habit of fueling many people do not think about how long it takes to fuel an auto anymore especially if they drive a compact or sub-compact auto, yes those run 5 to 10 minutes at most. Everything else is longer.

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Call me Tucker, CNN, Fox News, whatever. It's still more of a hassle to rent an EV than an ICE vehicle. 

No it aint Tucker.

No amount of false fear mongering alters that.

Charging is just a tad longer than filling up. But that is just the way it is for EVs. For now.  

The concept of RENTING EVs for vacation is not an inconvenience.  Like at all.  YOU want it to be. YOU say it is. You twist it like Fox news and Tucker Carlson does,  but it really is not.  You can keep on harping on the fact about charging times, and that is ALL you got, but it aint a problem unless you want to make it a problem.  And with that, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can and IS an inconvenience.    

About that wise man thing...

You are the one making a mountain out of a mole hill.   

Ive given you how it is. You dismiss with the same Tucker Carlosn style talking points like your judgement is how it is. And your talking points is NOT how it is...

Keep at it Tucker! 

Edited by oldshurst442

3 minutes ago, David said:

🤣 I love how you and few others always say 5 min give or take a minute. I only see that for subcompacts. Most mid-size auto's take 10 minutes to fuel give or take a minute and full size; you have 20 minutes for sure. I have never seen my Escalade fuel up 33 gallons in less than 20 minutes at Costco or Fred Meyers, etc.

I've actually timed filling my MKC up with 13 gallons (15.1 gal tank) in 3 minutes. You are full of it thinking it takes 10 minutes to pump 15-20 gallons or 33 gallons in TWENTY MINUTES. 

I'm not trying to be a smart@ss here, but will you record this next time you fill up? I'm just curious to actually see how slow that pump is flowing. 

"Light passenger vehicles pump up to about 50 litres (13 US gallons) per minute[5] (the United States limits this to 10 US gallons [38 litres] per minute[6]); pumps serving trucks and other large vehicles have a higher flow rate, up to 130 litres (34 US gallons) per minute in the UK[5] and 40 US gallons (150 litres) in the US. This flow rate is based on the diameter of the vehicle's fuel filling pipe, which limits flow to these amounts."

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

No it aint Tucker.

No amount of false fear mongering alters that.

Charging is just a tad longer than filling up. But that is just the way it is for EVs. For now.  

The concept of RENTING EVs for vacation is not an inconvenience.  Like at all.  YOU want it to be. YOU say it is. You twist it like Fox news and Tucker Carlson does,  but it really is not.  You can keep on harping on the fact about charging times, and that is ALL you got, but it aint a problem unless you want to make it a problem.  And with that, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can and IS an inconvenience.    

I would not call @ccap41 Tucker as some might confuse it with the great auto pioneer Tucker and his dream car that the Legacy OEMs destroyed.

He has a right to see how he sees things as do you and me. 

Honestly it has been a good debate, you and I see no problem with a little longer time to re-charge an auto just like we do for our laptops, phones, etc. Others find change hard. 

In @ccap41 point he sees the benefits of EVs for home use, local driving, he just does not see it for rentals and that is fine. If he visits Hawaii after 2030, his only choice will be an EV for rental as the Islands are doing everything they can to change to green energy and reduce emissions by requiring all rental places to have EVs starting with 2030 for rent.

I honestly think we will see more rental companies watch Hertz and over the next few years start buying EVs for rent as people get more comfortable. 

Some folks like myself love living on the edge of technology and change, others want more comfort in what is established and known. 

Others yet are willing to die to keep things stagnant and that is how great societies have died and fallen. We have history to prove this as you look at the Egyptian empire, Roman Empire, Persian Empire, Gangu's Kaan Empire, Russia and the great cold war and the fall of Communism and how now Russia wants to rebuild their empire thinking they can force humans back into the old ways.

Too late, too little, society will always move forward and those that resist change eventually fall to the wayside.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

I've actually timed filling my MKC up with 13 gallons (15.1 gal tank) in 3 minutes. You are full of it thinking it takes 10 minutes to pump 15-20 gallons or 33 gallons in TWENTY MINUTES. 

I'm not trying to be a smart@ss here, but will you record this next time you fill up? I'm just curious to actually see how slow that pump is flowing. 

"Light passenger vehicles pump up to about 50 litres (13 US gallons) per minute[5] (the United States limits this to 10 US gallons [38 litres] per minute[6]); pumps serving trucks and other large vehicles have a higher flow rate, up to 130 litres (34 US gallons) per minute in the UK[5] and 40 US gallons (150 litres) in the US. This flow rate is based on the diameter of the vehicle's fuel filling pipe, which limits flow to these amounts."

Sure, for local driving I tend to never let the tank get below half and I refill, but I know my wife is going on a road trip with her sister on thursday, so she should come back in the Escalade on empty so I will check this out.

One thing to point out about the statement you have above, that is based on perfect conditions and we know most gas stations DO NOT service their equipment until forced too except for Costco which seems to stay on top of changing fuel filters on their tanks.

I find due to the vapor recovery hose system which I hate as it slows things down when fuel vapors push back up and click off or slow down the pump that most stations as the filters get dirty, the longer it takes to fuel.

West Coast especially all fuel pumps have this damn nozzle that really can slow down dispensing of the fuel, but I get it as it keeps the vapors from going into the ozone.

image.png

This was a good read.

Why Do Gas Pumps Run Slow? (jalopnik.com)

Exactly, @David, I am certainly on board with buying and owning an EV. To make it sound like I'm some anti-EV guy is absurd(but that's Olds for ya). This is no different than saying I don't think a Camry is a great tow vehicle, there are just better options for the given situation. That is one thing that's great, is there are so many different vehicle options and everything can be great for a given situation. Everybody's wants and needs are different and that's no different here. I wouldn't want to deal with an EV if I'm a renter but, I think it would be PERFECT for me to own. I'd even road trip it and charge publicly. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing to do. We all just know that isn't truly an IDEAL situation. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The point is its not a BIG PHOQUING deal. Especially when one is on VACATION.

Yes, EVs DO take a tad longer to charge up.  

In the context of being ON vacation.

250-320 miles, in a city core or beach or tourist theme park, to do touristy things, one does NOT need a car as much as YOU seem to think you need one. 

THAT is the point.

I showed you examples as how it WILL be done.  The storyline is true and realistic...

Stowe Vermont

https://chargehub.com/en/countries/united-states/vermont/stowe.html

Popular Charging Stations in Stowe

In phoquing Vermont...

Its a tourist hot spot...

What inconvenience are you babbling on about?

Hey Tucker, have a nice day because Im done with your shyte today! 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

To make it sound like I'm some anti-EV guy is absurd(but that's Olds for ya).

I never said you were.

There is that Tucker Carlson way about your views...

Its in the posts that I wrote DIRECTLY to you that I say you are NOT anti-EV. Just that you are a CONTRARIAN. A troll...

Your Tucker Carlson style of discussing shyte is getting old and tiresome. 

But you do you if it tickles your fancy for your entertainment purposes... 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Exactly, @David, I am certainly on board with buying and owning an EV. To make it sound like I'm some anti-EV guy is absurd(but that's Olds for ya). This is no different than saying I don't think a Camry is a great tow vehicle, there are just better options for the given situation. That is one thing that's great, is there are so many different vehicle options and everything can be great for a given situation. Everybody's wants and needs are different and that's no different here. I wouldn't want to deal with an EV if I'm a renter but, I think it would be PERFECT for me to own. I'd even road trip it and charge publicly. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing to do. We all just know that isn't truly an IDEAL situation. 

As many know, @ocnblu always attacked me for not owning an EV, but I do not fit into anything but full-size auto's and even then, I need a test fit as every auto is different.

I would not agree with your last statement. Tesla owners have come to see their EVs and Charging times to work for them so one could not say it is not an IDEAL situation as many are fine living with the longer charge times. 

I would say that EV ownership and EV rentals is NOT IDEAL for some portions of humanity at this time.

We know for a fact that in places in Africa where they do not have reliable or any electricity, that an EV will not work yet.

Though never say never as Rivian did prove that driving an EV from the southern tip of South American back to the US through central American can be done. A road trip I hope to do one day myself as I love road trips.

12 minutes ago, David said:

I would not agree with your last statement. Tesla owners have come to see their EVs and Charging times to work for them so one could not say it is not an IDEAL situation as many are fine living with the longer charge times. 

The context of that sentence was only renting, FYI. I did not mean it for ownership. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Though never say never as Rivian did prove that driving an EV from the southern tip of South American back to the US through central American can be done. A road trip I hope to do one day myself as I love road trips.

I also completely agree with this and I believe I even stated that in the Hertz Rental thread. I just said within the next five years, the stated delivery dates of the vehicles, I don't think it will be ideal or beneficial for the renter. 

What I said previously:

"And I think that'll happen. I think it'll get to the point of a lot places having a charger or two for customers(one would probably suffice for most smaller businesses). I don't think it'll be that way within the next five years though."

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"And I think that'll happen. I think it'll get to the point of a lot places having a charger or two for customers(one would probably suffice for most smaller businesses). I don't think it'll be that way within the next five years though."

And its NOT a problem right NOW...

Unless you want it to be. 

And if you make into a problem discussing it, a mountain out of a mole hill, you are no better than Tucker Carlson...

And if you truly dont know about reality, than maybe inform yourself with non-misrepresenting details before spewing FUD... 

@DavidI legitimately appreciate your civil discussion where we can go back and forth without the childish name calling. 

Not trying to be a smart@ss but you did mention not being able to fit into the previous generation of EVs, have you gotten to test fit a Hummer EV yet? If so, do you think you'll pull the trigger on one yet? I know you like pretty much everything about them.

@David, I was out running Friday and saw one of these! Funny enough, I managed to see an R1S before I’ve seen an R1T. Aaaaalso, funny enough, a day later I saw my first R1T but j was driving so I couldn’t grab a picture of that one. 

I had to zoom in quite a bit because it took a couple seconds to get my phone out and camera open so it’s pretty bad quality. 

BF15D332-4AEE-40FD-95F1-AF2056139277.jpeg

• Thanks 1

https://www.reservations.com/hotels/st-louis-and-vicinity-mo/amenity/electric-car-charging

Even in St Louis...  Hotels in and around the area, with 250-320 mile range, renting an EV and charging it at your hotel 2-3 times in a 2 week vacation time period is NOT an inconvenience by itself, let alone compared to an IVE vehicle.

FYI...  There are very few gas stations in the downtown core of Montreal...

For the last hundred years, I havent heard anybody bitch about being low on gas and freaking out in the downtown core of Montreal... 

There are many many many more charge points...  Links are posted before.

Hotels in the downtown Montreal core with EV charging points

https://www.reservations.com/hotels/montreal-qc/amenity/electric-car-charging

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I legitimately appreciate your civil discussion where we can go back and forth without the childish name calling. 

Youde get that with me too. But you argue like Tucker Carlson. You act like a child. You deserve the same treatment.

To keep on spewing about charge times when I have REPEATEDLY given you LINKS to relieve your so called opinion, you ignore all I have to say and go back to your childish charging times...

On vacation, walking around is done. Anywhere in the world for ANY reason.  Cars are less so of a factor.

Hotels DO have charging points. Touristy arears DO have charging points. 250-320 miles is a helluva lot of miles to drive....   Like in daily driving, 3-4 days one goes before one has to charge or gas up. And THAT is a lot of freakin miles driven.  

We are NOT driving AWAY 250 miles from our vacation spot.... 

I included the Quebec city thing only to prove how absurd your so called opinion is.

But in that scenario, we are visiting TWO cities. TWO destination spots.  Ind in THAT scenario, both Montreal and Quebec are walking cities. You get the MOST out of both cities walking. As you walk and dine and witness historical sites, the EV is charging... 

Visiting any vacation destination,  50 miles going and 50 miles coming back in one day is probably the MOST you;ll drive in that day.   Coming back to the hotel, one WILL charge overnight and have another 250-320 mile range again if one needs to do another 100 mile range trip.  But if that is the case, why did you choose a destination hotel to be 100 miles AWAY from these destinations.   But it dont matter, it aint an inconvenience to charge up while EATING on a reststop along the way if one couldnt charge AT the hotel THAT night... 

In ANY scenario...

Going to Disneyworld and one stays at hotels NOT at Disney, the Hotels are NOT 50 miles away...   One could do several trips to Disney without having range anxiety. Charge up at night after the 3rd trip to Disney. g=Have another 250-320 mile range... 

Staying in Miami, the fartest away from the beach, and want to go to the beach?

Miami beach is not 300 miles away from the fartest point of Miami. And even if it was, swimming at Miami beach is a 3-4 hour affair. Plenty of time to charge the phoquing EV...

You will eat. Move the phoquing car at that point in time. 

But why are you staying 300 miles away from the beach if you wanted to go to the beach?

Hey Tucker...

Discuss with me like an adult. NOT like a teenager. When you do that, you will get respect... 

Edited by oldshurst442

Calm your jets.  None of this is that big a deal.

What everyone needs to remember is that you do not need to charge to 100% every time you plug in.

And everyone needs to slow the eff down on their trips. None of us here are doing the Cannonball run.  I don't know who on this site has covered the most distance in road trips, but any list of the top 5 is gonna include me.  I've done Pittsburgh - Miami in a single run without stopping to sleep and it's killed me every time I do it. I am dead to the world for the next two days, so it really puts a damper on any vacation activities.  I've done it in as little as 17 hours and as much as 24 hours when stopping somewhere to sleep. Forget about what fuel you're using... it's just not good for your body to do trips like that.

That said, I have done the trips enough times that I know approximately where my regular stops are.  With the new high(er) speed charging that is coming with the next generation EVs (EValanche, the Cadillacs, Blazer, etc), they can add 100 miles of range in 10 minutes.  Starbucks can't even make my order that fast.

Now, because I've done the trip so many times and I know the range of the EValanche, I already know the truck can make the trip to my hotel in Columbia SC with one 15 minute recharge in Princeton West Virginia.   I also know that my body can't make it all the way to Columbia without at least two more bathroom stops.

And with EV trip planning, as with everything... there's an app for that.  Plug-Share says I could do the trip to my parent's with just 5 stops to recharge.  Now my parents don't have a charger, so I'd need to add a 6th stop in there somewhere, but Jacksonville to Miami is such an awful boring part of the trip I'd need to stop for my own sanity and bladder relief.

2022-09-27 (2).png

Click to enlarge. It is set to GMC Hummer EV and I artificially bumped the range to 350 miles per charge which is still under the 400 mile range anticipated for the Silverado EV.  I filtered the search to 70kw chargers or better for the best charging speed.

The point I'm making here is that I couldn't do this trip, in this few stops, even in my current gasoline truck.  My truck has a 550 mile range tank, and it can make it in just two fill ups.

I do the drive twice a year and it is awful.

Thursday I'm doing Pittsburgh - DC area.  I can pick any one of these three DC fast chargers for a 15 minute break and be fine.  But I'm also traveling with my elderly in-laws, so I know I'll be stopping at least once in Breezewood, PA and Berkley Springs, WV for bathroom breaks and probably their McDonald's coffee.  So again, even in a gas car, I'll stop more than is technically necessary in an EV.  My FIL is mostly disabled, so just getting him from the car into the McDonald's can take 10 minutes.

2022-09-27 (3).png

Can we not put requirements on EVs that we don't put on our gas cars please? 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

To be honest, I don't think anybody was talking about road-tripping.. 

then with ranges of 300 - 400 miles on many new EVs, why does anyone care about range? Even if you rent and can’t plug in at home, all Walmarts, GM dealers, Nissan dealers, Ford dealers, many malls, grocery stores, and parking garages have or are getting chargers.

GM dealers were told by GM to reach out to local communities and install chargers. I have a meeting with a local Chevy dealer coming up to discuss charge points in the town I work for.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Even if you rent and can’t plug in at home, all Walmarts, GM dealers, Nissan dealers, Ford dealers, many malls, grocery stores, and parking garages have or are getting chargers.

Because there's nothing more that I want to do on my vacation or work trip than spend time at a Nissan dealership (or any car dealership but Nissan is the worst) charging my car. 

You can't honestly tell me that it is equally or more convenient to rent an EV than it would be to rent a comparable ICE vehicle. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Disagree 1

Because there's nothing more that I want to do on my vacation or work trip than spend time at a Nissan dealership (or any car dealership but Nissan is the worst) charging my car. 

Then don’t. When I was in Denver last December and had a Kia Niro EV, I plugged it in while my friend and I went to lunch (it wasn’t necessary, but I did it as an experiment) and the next morning I went to breakfast in Boulder and charged while I ate and strolled Pearl Street (the tourist part of Boulder).

I went and enjoyed my trip rather than having to stop for gas. And I didn’t have to stop to charge before I returned the rental… just dropped it.  So it was a next savings in time and money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

than spend time at a Nissan dealership

Again with the Tucker Carlson response...

Just because HE mentioned a dealership, it doesnt HAVE to be a dealership...\

There are COUNTLESS of chargers... 

THAT is the point...

@Drew Dowdell and myself showed you yet ANOTHER phoquing solution to charge a phoquing EV on your work/vacay trip...

YOU decide to shyte on it and use your bullshyte excuse again...

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

and the next morning I went to breakfast in Boulder and charged while I ate and strolled Pearl Street (the tourist part of Boulder).

I went and enjoyed my trip rather than having to stop for gas. And I didn’t have to stop to charge before I returned the rental

Just IGNORE this part of his dialogue JUST to pick on a suggestion...

Ignore all the phoquing charging ports one passes by in a TOURISTY area where no wastage of time or effort is being done by a work or vacationing dude.

Ignore all that and continue to be Tucker...

Boy...you are such a lame a&&

If it works out perfectly that you want to eat next to a charger, that's absolutely perfect. 

Hey Tucker...

charging points are all over the major cities, especially in the tourist spots... Including the one YOU live in...

Stop the phoquing trolling already... 

59 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Can we not put requirements on EVs that we don't put on our gas cars please? 

Hey Tucker, you are not gassing up in a gas car. Why do you need to charge up every day in an EV?

If you are working, you are staying in a hotel close to work. You are walking to work. Not driving.  If you are staying at a hotel close to the airport, the airports have chargers...

Downtown?  Yup chargers.  

Dude, you are wrong and you know it.  

Stop trolling CCAP! 

@ccap41 

Your downvotes are fine. I do the same thing to you.  

Its phoquing funny that you have resorted to downvoting, actually.  

Like a little man-child not liking what he is hearing.  

Wah wah wah. 

Grow the phoque up!!! Not the first time I tell you this. 

Edited by oldshurst442

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

If it works out perfectly that you want to eat next to a charger, that's absolutely perfect. 

My vacation this year was at Rehoboth Beach. Once I parked the Chrysler, I didn’t touch it again until we left because we walked everywhere.

3 chargers within east walking distance of my hotel.

E8A7776B-FF7A-4562-8FA2-4B00AA4818CA.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

hey Tucker (CCAP)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Busch+Stadium,+700+Clark+Ave,+St.+Louis,+MO+63102,+United+States/The+Dome+at+America's+Center,+701+Convention+Plaza,+St.+Louis,+MO+63101,+United+States/@38.6277209,-90.1949022,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b31b440bcf17:0xa57962d7e3509f27!2m2!1d-90.1928209!2d38.6226188!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b31f4b9ec5c1:0xe0984b60ee40c8ee!2m2!1d-90.1885068!2d38.6328232

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Busch+Stadium,+700+Clark+Ave,+St.+Louis,+MO+63102,+United+States/Enterprise+Center,+1401+Clark+Ave,+St.+Louis,+MO+63103,+United+States/@38.6245147,-90.2002652,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b31b440bcf17:0xa57962d7e3509f27!2m2!1d-90.1928209!2d38.6226188!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b313f33f9ffd:0x16d092e190f89a21!2m2!1d-90.2026783!2d38.6268402

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Enterprise+Center,+Clark+Avenue,+St.+Louis,+MO,+USA/The+Dome+at+America's+Center,+701+Convention+Plaza,+St.+Louis,+MO+63101,+United+States/@38.6285755,-90.1989582,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b313f33f9ffd:0x16d092e190f89a21!2m2!1d-90.2026783!2d38.6268402!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b31f4b9ec5c1:0xe0984b60ee40c8ee!2m2!1d-90.1885068!2d38.6328232

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Enterprise+Center,+Clark+Avenue,+St.+Louis,+MO,+USA/The+Gateway+Arch,+Gateway+Arch,+St.+Louis,+MO+63102,+United+States/@38.6224845,-90.2030462,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x87d8b313f33f9ffd:0x16d092e190f89a21!2m2!1d-90.2026783!2d38.6268402!1m5!1m1!1s0x87c0f0607541e5b5:0x79ed2889c696a834!2m2!1d-90.1867504!2d38.6251269

All the best restaurants and hotels and those sports stadiums I posted up there using google maps are all within 2-3 miles of one another, if not shorter. 

The phoquing airport is 26 miles away

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/MidAmerica+St.+Louis+Airport+(BLV),+9656+Air+Terminal+Dr,+Mascoutah,+IL+62258,+United+States/The+Gateway+Arch,+Gateway+Arch,+St.+Louis,+MO+63102,+United+States/@38.5880517,-90.1411138,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88760f698c7acb57:0x3935d0dba5d589cf!2m2!1d-89.8156661!2d38.5476913!1m5!1m1!1s0x87c0f0607541e5b5:0x79ed2889c696a834!2m2!1d-90.1867504!2d38.6251269

Six Flags in St Louis is 30 miles away from the Arch.  50 some odd miles from the airport...

EVs today have 280-320 miles of range.

Hotels and airports HAVE EV chargers.

Admittingly, I had a hard time to search for charging ports near the park.

But...

1. Im not from St Louis.

2. Im not planning to take a trip their tomorrow either to really find one next to the park.

3. Its only 30 away from the St Louis Arch, next to a hotel Im leaving in. Or 50 some odd miles from a hotel airport.  150 miles of travel time to and from for that particular day Im visiting the park if I stayed next to the airport, is plenty of mileage. I charge at the hotel at night. I got 280-320 miles of range again in the morning an NO inconvinience what so ever. 

Hell, I drive after the park to see a NHL game or baseball game and eat and drive and do all kinds iof things downtown St Louis WITHOUT walking, just driving and I still have enough juice to get back to the airport hotel... 

Like phoque off Tucker!!!

Stop the trolling. 

I njustb did a fast planning thing to go to YOUR city and I KNOW I wont have any inconveniences with an EV... 

Working or vacationing in YOUR city. 

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's super convenient that there are three chargers there and at the rates of those chargers, you'd have to leave it there your whole trip to get home, 6-13kw chargers. 

Well, I wouldn’t be rolling in on 0% and I only need enough to get me to the high speed chargers on my way out… so like 50% of the way back home.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

@DavidI legitimately appreciate your civil discussion where we can go back and forth without the childish name calling. 

Not trying to be a smart@ss but you did mention not being able to fit into the previous generation of EVs, have you gotten to test fit a Hummer EV yet? If so, do you think you'll pull the trigger on one yet? I know you like pretty much everything about them.

@David, I was out running Friday and saw one of these! Funny enough, I managed to see an R1S before I’ve seen an R1T. Aaaaalso, funny enough, a day later I saw my first R1T but j was driving so I couldn’t grab a picture of that one. 

I had to zoom in quite a bit because it took a couple seconds to get my phone out and camera open so it’s pretty bad quality. 

BF15D332-4AEE-40FD-95F1-AF2056139277.jpeg

No, I have not had a chance to see a GMC Hummer or the Rivian in person yet. While I have seen plenty of Rivian R1T around this area, I also saw on the news that the Bellevue service and delivery center had their first R1S's, I have not seen like you one in the wild yet. Thank you for posting, awesome to see.

I do like just about everything on the Rivian both internally and externally. GMC Hummer, my big issue that we have discussed here in other threads and @Robert Hall and I believe others here have also mentioned is the depressing black all interiors and the lack of options for said interior colors. The First Edition GMC Hummers were a no go with that ugly colored black and white or was it grey and white, NASA inspired theme. While the wife and I both like the external styling, the internal is a failure to us for colors, style and layout is fine.

I have to say that I am really liking the Rivian look and style works so well. It is going to be interesting to see what GM and Ford does for Full size SUV EV style.

I also already responded to a GM survey on full size SUV/Trucks and bashed them about the lack of interior color options and exterior color options. Why does an EV from GM not have a green color of some sort to show off their Green Auto's?

@ccap41 This will help as the final 17 states have approval that has triggered the first of the funds to install coast to coast along all national highways Chargers.

States get final OK to build highway EV charging network | AP News

QUOTE: 

The Transportation Department said it had OK’d EV charger plans from a last set of 17 states, triggering the release of $1.5 billion in federal funds to all jurisdictions nationwide — or $5 billion over five years — to install or upgrade chargers along 75,000 miles (120,000 kilometers) of highway from coast to coast, with a goal of 500,000 EV chargers nationwide. Plans for the other 33 states and the District of Columbia were approved earlier this month.

• Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

26 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I saw a pic of the new Genesis G90

2023 Genesis G90 First Drive: Exemplary Audacity, Unburdened By Tradition -  Forbes Wheels

And it reminded me of this

Dave's 1977 Pontiac Firebird - Holley My Garage

The wheels

2023 Genesis G90 First Drive: Exemplary Audacity, Unburdened ...

Jessie Jewart's Boosted LSX-Powered 1979 Pontiac Trans Am Dropped Jaws At  LS Fest West 2021 - Holley Motor Life

I prefer the Trans Am wheels!

I like the Genesis look of the auto but for me, the rims while nice to look at are so busy and so time intensive to clean properly. I would go with a much simpler design that is easy to clean. Those rims just do not last looking that nice.

These rims that I had on my Suburban before one broke and I could not get a replacement is the style of simple, clean and nice.

large.gallery_12_383_21775.jpg

Too Funny BMW has released their new Hybrid $160,000 SUV and the public is hating it based on social media reports.

People are roasting BMW for unveiling a 'hideous' $160,000 SUV with 644 horsepower — see the polarizing XM (msn.com)

Full Press Release is here along with a ton of pictures.

The First-Ever BMW XM: A BMW M Original. (bmwgroup.com)

P90480554_highRes_2023-bmw-xm-european.jpgP90480555_highRes_2023-bmw-xm-european.jpg

Have to say that the Hybrid M XM SUV is just tacky in so many ways.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I think it looks better than their gargantuan grille versions of everything else...

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

I would agree with you that the Grill is way better than the gargantuan one they have on the other SUVs. In looking at the comments, people really are hating the gold trim all over the auto as well as the disconnected weird total front end and the Japanese anime like rearend.

Interior has not gotten to many hates, but the exterior, especially among the BMW faithful have them really hating the look of the auto.

Interesting for sure.

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I really don't hate the styling and I'm sure there will be non-gold versions to actually buy so that's not really an issue to me. The gold doesn't do much for me but just assuming that will not be on every single one of these sold, it doesn't bother me. I can look past that. 

Yes, until they add it to their website available for configuration, who knows what other looks it might have for color, trim, etc. 

I will say for an M version, it does not say performance to me but gaudier look at me.

OUCH, pictures out of Florida especially this one makes an Auto fan cry. Why would the owner leave that Road Runner out in the weather where a Hurrican could flip it? 

image.png

Hurricane Ian live updates: Ian might be deadliest in Florida history, Biden says (msn.com)

Seems Chevrolet is ramping up the marketing of their EVs.

An Electrifying Future For Everyone | Chevrolet

Family Photo of the current products coming out by 2023.

image.png

Reese Witherspoon is the new Voice of Buick!

An Electrifying Future Ahead | Discover Buick

Check out the cool info on current ICE auto's and their EVs to come.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that you can find and read stories about International Harvester being brought to market by VW as a serious Off-road EV product in SUV and Truck Form.

VW's International Harvester Scout will reportedly be a true off-roader | Autoblog

They always show images like this from the story above.

image.png

Which on one hand says they are coping the general look of the Rivian R1T and R1S, but then I also see some of the Atlas Tanoak truck too.

13962-TheAtlasTanoak.jpg

It will be interesting if we ever actually see a Scout for sale in the U.S.

The best info I can find is this New Startup venture by VW to focus on a true off-road company that will build and sell the Scout in SUV and Truck form.

Global Volkswagen Group strengthens leadership to advance NEW AUTO strategy in North America - Volkswagen US Media Site (vw.com)

Here they say prototypes will be revealed in 2023 with production starting 2026.

The Scout Brand is Coming Back as a Rugged Electric Vehicle (newsweek.com)

2026 Scout electric truck (pickup): Everything we know (topelectricsuv.com)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Seems to be some quality issues with the Hummer EV. 

Thanks for posting.

Part of what you get for being the first for the new tech. Always will find things that the real world will break. 

It will only make it better as they improve the Hummer.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks for posting.

Part of what you get for being the first for the new tech. Always will find things that the real world will break. 

It will only make it better as they improve the Hummer.

FYI, this is two different Hummers with differing issues. 

The one that had interior issues and air ride issues is GM's and they said it had just under or just over 2000 miles on it. The other one is theirs with 150 miles on it. 

That's a good way to piss customers off and push them away from EVs for awhile until it becomes proven technology. 

Your flagship vehicle shouldn't be bricking itself brand new. 

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

FYI, this is two different Hummers with differing issues. 

The one that had interior issues and air ride issues is GM's and they said it had just under or just over 2000 miles on it. The other one is theirs with 150 miles on it. 

That's a good way to piss customers off and push them away from EVs for awhile until it becomes proven technology. 

Your flagship vehicle shouldn't be bricking itself brand new. 

I understand that they are two different EVs. Yet the first even for Tesla had plenty of issues once you get it out of a controlled Engineering environment. Heck we have seen that even with ICE autos that had issues. 

Some are willing to be first in having the auto, others like me will wait to work out the kinks first.

I suspect that the Hummer is a way to work out the kinks before the Chevrolet Silverado, Equinox and Blazer EV go into production.

23 minutes ago, David said:

I understand that they are two different EVs. Yet the first even for Tesla had plenty of issues once you get it out of a controlled Engineering environment. Heck we have seen that even with ICE autos that had issues. 

Some are willing to be first in having the auto, others like me will wait to work out the kinks first.

I suspect that the Hummer is a way to work out the kinks before the Chevrolet Silverado, Equinox and Blazer EV go into production.

I know Ford hasn't been known for their problem-less rollouts recently but I don't recall hearing Mach-e's and Lightnings bricking themselves nor having non-functional systems within the vehicle. 

There's a price to pay to being the first and there's a price to pay for a company not completing the vehicle. The above issues with the Hummer shouldn't happen, period. 

I don't think people spending 100-150k on a vehicle should be considered test dummies, just because they're early adaptors. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I know Ford hasn't been known for their problem-less rollouts recently but I don't recall hearing Mach-e's and Lightnings bricking themselves nor having non-functional systems within the vehicle. 

There's a price to pay to being the first and there's a price to pay for a company not completing the vehicle. The above issues with the Hummer shouldn't happen, period. 

I don't think people spending 100-150k on a vehicle should be considered test dummies, just because they're early adaptors. 

True, while I have not heard of any Mach-e or Lightings bricking themselves, I have heard of plenty of other issues. But so has Rivian and Tesla, so the early stage is always hard, but hopefully next year will be smooth especially as GM and Ford ramp up their EV inventory and models.

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

This article spells out why normal CEOs watch what they say. . . . and why Elon may end up ruining Tesla.

I honestly have a ton of respect for the Engineering divisions that have built the motors, controllers, battery pack and the leadership Tesla employees have given in moving the auto industry forward.

I really hope that the Board wakes up, stops rubber stamping a narcissistic CEO and brings in a professional to build Tesla beyond this crazy startup phase.

• Agree 1