Random Thoughts Thread

So my wife was at a gas station just a few minutes ago and called me while pumping gas. The pump was pumping EXTREMELY slow but she pre-paid so she was sticking it out. We were on the phone for 5 minutes and it literally only pumped $6 worth of premium in that time span. 

I asked her, “you know what would fix this issue so it’ll never happen again?”

Her, “no, what?”

Me, “an electric car. You’d never need to pump gas again!”

Her, “ugh, you and your electric cars…”

• Haha 3

Filled up the SS at Business Costco, usually I use the regular Costco by my house, but was there and figured kill two birds with one stone, shopping done, now gas. WOW was so slow!!! I asked the attendant and he said that they were getting low on gas and with all the pumps in use it seemed to be slowing everyone. They were supposed to get a delivery tonight of gas, but WOW, talk about slow, was there 20 minutes to pump 18 gallons. Pathetic. 🙄

I think I've only encountered a slow pump two or three times since I've been driving. 

The same station my wife had issue with, she had issues last week as well. I asked if it was the same pump and she said it's a different pump. She jokingly complained about it last week and I just assumed she was being a woman and exaggerating but when we were on the phone for 5 minutes and only pumped $6 worth of premium...that's basically a gallon of premium. 1 gallon in 5 minutes.. I also asked if she tried unclicking it and starting it over. She said she already tried that a couple times to no avail. 

It sure would be nice to not have to deal with that ever again. But then again, I'd deal with slow charging in public at some point, even though it would be rare for me. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

My town is weird high compared to everywhere around us. My town is 4.29/gal and I can drive 10 miles in any direction and it's like 3.89/gal for 87 octane. If I drove 30 miles into Missouri it's in the 3.49-3.79 ballpark for 87 octane. 

That is totally confusing, does your town have a higher income than surrounding communities? I have clearly noticed that Bellevue and Seattle are much higher than up north in my little town. Course their average income is almost double where I live.

6 minutes ago, David said:

That is totally confusing, does your town have a higher income than surrounding communities? I have clearly noticed that Bellevue and Seattle are much higher than up north in my little town. Course their average income is almost double where I live.

Nope, and this is a recent thing. It used to always be right about the rest of the area we live in, give or take $0.05-0.10. 

Since gas prices have been dropping, for the last month, they have just barely moved in town while all of the surrounding towns/cities have dropped significantly. 

• Agree 1

Pittsburgh is dominated by two main gas chains, GetGo and Sheetz. GetGo is run by our dominant grocery chain and they have a points scheme where you get discounts on gas based on grocery purchases and discounts on groceries based on gas purchases. It’s designed to psychologically trap you into only using them for both.  Unfortunately their grocery prices are also the highest, so even with the discounts you’re paying more than you should. 

I stopped playing the game a while ago and now use just Costco + Aldi for groceries and gas. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Pittsburgh is dominated by two main gas chains, GetGo and Sheetz. GetGo is run by our dominant grocery chain and they have a points scheme where you get discounts on gas based on grocery purchases and discounts on groceries based on gas purchases. It’s designed to psychologically trap you into only using them for both.  Unfortunately their grocery prices are also the highest, so even with the discounts you’re paying more than you should. 

I stopped playing the game a while ago and now use just Costco + Aldi for groceries and gas. 

Yeah, got those here also...Giant Eagle w/ Get Go..I have two of those about a mile each from my house...I've shopped at them occasionally for groceries but never bought gas.    I now mostly use Whole Foods via Amazon and Heinen's (local chain) via Instacart..

Ive never used Costco for gas.   (I dont use Costco all that much to begin with) 

I got a Costco at about 5-6 miles from my house and restaurant, but its kinda out of m way. 

Im like those anti-EV guys whining about charging times and charging stations not being in ideal locations.  Well, Im not going to drive 15 minutes just to gas up when other gas stations are on my drive home. That 15 minute drive is going there, it will be another 15 minutes to come back. PLUS the amount of time waiting for a Costco pump to become available plus the actual time pumping gas...     Gassing up, just like charging up for anti-EV people,  but especially for gassing up, should be a fast  convenience, not a slow, tedious, and Odyssean adventure.   

• Agree 1

Join me in wishing @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY , a long time member and our reporter, a happy birthday!

Thanks to Landis, we get to sample automotive videos and articles from past decades as well as more recent ones.  Some of them now look and sound very funny to us in 2022 and, then, some of the regular presenters of these videos are quirky and entertaining.  Nonetheless, all of the content is informative.

Today is also the birthday of Napoleon Bonaparte and Julia Child.  I always knew that.  Of more contemporary personalities, it is the birthday of Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lawrence, and Melinda Gates.

But most of all, this is a day I always remember because it would have been my dad's birthday.  My dad always spoke his mind and his filter didn't always work, so this could be entertaining.  My mom always went for the diplomatic approach and tried to keep the peace with everyone.  I think I'm much more like my dad in this regard.

Happy birthday, Landis!

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, David said:

R.I.P. to the Dodge Challenger and Charger. 2023 is the end of ICE for them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/dodge-challenger-charger-to-be-discontinued-in-2023.html

This is very sad.  It contradicts a fairly recent article uploaded by another C&G member saying they would delay pulling the plug a while more.

As for the numbers, 1.5 million Chargers seems like a lot, but that's over a long span of years.  They sold over 500,000 Cutlasses in 1976 alone.

So what happens, then, there's a vacuum in those vehicle niches until Stellantis figures out what to slot in?

I was hoping for a slight refresh.  They could have pulled it off and kept the Brampton, ON, Canada plant humming along a little longer and there would have still been buyers for those cars. Without a doubt.  Just get rid of the gas hog models with 707 (or 797) horses to bring up CAFE numbers.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In the grand scheme of things, I aint so sad about the ICE version of the Challenger and Charger going away next year.  To say that it doesnt affect me emotionally would not be entirely true.  

Its an end to several types of eras this news is.  Several types of eras that define my automotive enthusiasm.  But hey, time marches on. Things come and go.  Time to move on and unto the next thing. 

As long as Stellantis/Dodge gives us a worthy muscle car in EV form not necessarily needed to be called Charger and/or Challenger, Im good.   But the EV(s) to replace its modern, now old, ICE muscle cars better be in the same vein for me not to feel like Im gonna miss a Hellcat...

• Thanks 2

Sad to hear the Challenger and Charger going away.. so they are giving up on the police car market also (unless they are going to push the Durango police package as a replacement for the Charger?).   

I'll miss the Challenger, was one of the last 2dr RWD coupes available w/ a V8 and manual, in this world of styleless generic white appliances, it really stood out..

It will be interesting to see how walking away from their most iconic models will  go for Dodge.  I can't imagine the EV replacement will get nearly as many sales.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

so they are giving up on the police car market also (unless they are going to push the Durango police package as a replacement for the Charger?).   

Ford does the Explorer as a cop car that has effectively and successfully replaced their own Crown Vic and Taurus and consequently the Charger.   Ford has proposed the Mach E for a police pursuit vehicle but I dont know how successful it ill be as it seems the Mach E isnt suited best for police work.

Chevy has no competitive vehicle to offer. However, the Tahoe is fast becoming a staple on many police fleets after 2 decades of constant pushing and they are proposing a future EV Blazer SUV cop car even before the Blazer is in production.

Dodge been losing much ground to Ford police cars, especially when Ford decided that the Explorer could and is a fine candidate. The Charger has been fast losing its place as a formidable police car for quite some time. 

Dodge has offered a Durango police vehicle for a couple of years now. 

F150s and Silverados have also been added in the police pursuit tool box for many police departments.

What Im trying to say is

WHAT and WHY has taken Dodge  all this time to really push a Durango police pursuit vehicle when its 2 other Michigan rivals have done so what now seems forever?

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'll miss the Challenger, was one of the last 2dr RWD coupes available w/ a V8 and manual, in this world of styleless generic white appliances, it really stood out..

For sure!

This is what I was trying to say myself. 

End of an era for 2dr coupes.  This segment has died 20 years ago. Very few survivors  and not many but more than a handful of revived by a few coupes here and there but really dying now. 

Muscle cars have died 50 years ago. Even fewer survivors and even less new/old name plate revivors. 

RWD cars are too few and far between. Manual transmission cars as well. 

Sad, for sure.  But this news is really not new in any way. Its been a long time coming regardless the advent of an EV era rushing in.  

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It will be interesting to see how walking away from their most iconic models will  go for Dodge.  I can't imagine the EV replacement will get nearly as many sales.

I dont think the names will go anywhere.   However, it will all fall under the engineering as to how close they could engineer an EV to emulate an ICE muscle car and the marketing team to convince folk that an EV  Charger and Challenger could be and actually are worthy modern day muscle cars with electric motors and batteries as their motive power. 

The design team lastly as the EV Chargers and Challengers will have to have that MOPAR muscle car proportions and styles and elements and all that MOPAR eye candy.

• Thanks 1

I still see a lot of Chargers in use by the Ohio Highway Patrol, but I could see those being replaced by SUVs.    What isn't clear to me is how the EV muscle car that they keep hinting at will be named/branded.   Will it be a 2dr or a 4dr?  

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Will it be a 2dr or a 4dr?

Maybe both?

Hopefully both!

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

What isn't clear to me is how the EV muscle car that they keep hinting at will be named/branded

Yeah...very vague details, Tom Kuniskis has been giving us. 

Message is that Dodge muscle and power and speed and performance is not going away even though V8 performance is and even quite possibly the actual muscle car nameplates.

SRT performance engineering is working side by side with Stellantis EV engineering to ensure MOPAR EV performance is in line with MOPAR/Dodge muscle car image, but the how is not revealed.

We will have to wait to see what they end up giving us.  

Inflation has been a weird beast lately.

Most things have gone up in price, but gas has come down about $1.50 per gallon.  With the previous per gallon prices, it would have seriously messed with the travel industry (mostly food and lodging), the airline industry, and all things at the market with having to fuel their transport.  I'm now less reluctant to driving more.

One is a big head scratcher.  A year or so ago, Aldi's was selling these 4 packs of chicken sausage (feta and spinach, basil and tomato, and other varieties) I really liked for $3.19.  They are now $4.59.  That's a ~44% increase.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:38 AM, Robert Hall said:

Sad to hear the Challenger and Charger going away.. so they are giving up on the police car market also (unless they are going to push the Durango police package as a replacement for the Charger?).   

It will be interesting to see how walking away from their most iconic models will  go for Dodge.  I can't imagine the EV replacement will get nearly as many sales.

I agree here.  I just saw a brand new Challenger with 392 badging at a gas station.  It was that currently popular enamel gray color and the owner was really happy he was able to get one.

This is going to be tricky, I think.  

It wouldn't be as tricky if there was a slight revamp, and it was a good one.  Each Charger and Chrysler 300 has gotten a little better than the previous rendition, so there was a frame of reference for buyers.  When the LaCrosse was released, it was a welcomed change from the stodgier Regal-Century platform, and buyers took the them reasonably well.

If it was a brand new ground breaking model in a segment that the brand hadn't previously messed with, this could work, too.  Examples across time might be the Camaro/Firebird, the Cordoba, and the Aurora.

The tricky part is slotting in a model that the buyer would consider an equal (or equivalent), while introducing (forcing) the buyer to a technology for which they do not want to be an early adopter.  The idea of being put into an EV Charger or Challenger equivalent in less than 2 years time for the typical wannabe Charger and Challenger buyer AT THIS TIME - since there haven't been that many on the lots for a LONG TIME - is going to be a head scratcher. 

Edited by trinacriabob

Its a gamble in the sense that all of the automotive world has put all their eggs in the EV basket.  Not just Chrysler and Dodge by eliminating their V8 muscle cars and going E-muscle.

Cadillac's last new V8 engined vehicle is the Escalade V.  The sedans in ICE form are nearing death as well.

Its scary in the sense that Cadillac's sole vehicle that actually everybody "gets" and understands and accepts and knows its a genuine Caddy and Cadillac has any real success AND is known to be the TOP Caddy is the Escalade.  Cadillac also has a cult t following in the V sedans and Cadillac has just fused the two together...

It IS scary and a head scratcher to think that Cadillac will put those models to the side in a short few years to offer an electric UV as its newest luxury ride NOT named Escalade and is doubling down on THE most expensive Cadillac on sale EVER with a brand new halo sedan NOT named Escalade...   Keep in mind its a sedan and NOT a brash fullsized SUV...   Any other brand new entrant for Cadillac the last 20 years has performed mediocrely in the market place. 

As far as Dodge goes with the end of their V8 muscle and its V6 counterparts and ushering in a new EV era...

They kinda have no choice. The ENTIRE industry is forcing them to do so.  The ENTIRE world political environment is as well.  

V8 afficianados will have no choice, sooner than later, but to submit.  They could NOT buy new, and live with their V8s, but MOPAR will eventually end support for this ICE platform.  American counties will also make it super difficult to maintain ICE vehicles in ways that forcing masks and vaccines down our throats will seem very tame, even to the rightest of the rightest extremist. 

These V8 aficionados will never ever buy an EV anyway.  They would rather be content with a 1.5 liter wizzbanger 4 cylinder turbo dropped into a Corvette driving the front wheels than buy an EV...

When you think about it, especially the way the Dodge Charger EV is, Dodge is doing electric muscle the right way because at least they didnt mess with their brand image despite them going EV with their muscle cars.

My thoughts on this topic.

@trinacriabob @Robert Hall @oldshurst442 @Drew Dowdell

FYI, since we were in lockdown during my 30th Anniversary and now in year 31 but things opening up, last week my kids surprised my wife and I by taking us away to Maui for a 7-day celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. 

I will post a review of the two auto's we had, a 2022 Kia Sorrento and a 2019 Ford Escape. Post a few pics of the trip and beaches. Sorry I was not around to help keep an eye on the news and post, but I will say it was a very weird feeling as my kids surprised us last Friday and we flew out that night. The kids even had talked to my boss to keep things secret and got me the week off and took all my electronics other than camera, so I truly was unplugged. Weirdest feeling ever.

Saw lots of cool old autos in Maui, will expand on this later too.

Flew in last night at midnight. Cool seeing about the new Hybrid Hornet. Surprised no one has posted about the NEW CHALLANGER/CHARGER Concept.

Stellantis Media - Performance Made Us Do It: Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept Previews Brand’s Electrified Future (stellantisnorthamerica.com)

Image Gallery here

People can bitch and cry all they want about the death of ICE and the big block engines, but I say the future is Bright for EV Muscle cars.

You can hate the synthetic sound, but I can also turn it off and enjoy the quiet with the performance or have a special built sound.

@ 2:30 you can hear the new sound of the Dodge Charger.  Then we have the updated Blazer EV pictures of Police Pursuit vehicles, so you know they will be ultra-quiet to nail those of us with heavy feet.

Chevrolet Blazer - 2023

2024-chevrolet-blazer-ev-police-pursuit-vehicle-301.jpg

BLAZER EV ON THE JOB — AND ON PATROL

In addition to the “civilian” models of the new Blazer EV, Chevrolet will offer a specially developed Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV) models. Based on the Blazer SS model, the Blazer EV PPV will have the largest Ultium battery in the lineup and will be available in rear wheel drive or with a dual motor all-wheel drive system. The PPV will use the Blazer SS high performance front Brembo brakes to help ensure short stopping distances. The purpose-built Blazer EV PPV model features a police specific interior designed for police officers with ample room to accommodate emergency equipment and gear.

“The possibilities for the Blazer EV’s commercial and law enforcement applications are almost endless,” said Ed Peper, vice president of GM Fleet. “Along with zero-tailpipe-emissions performance, it reduces the number and frequency of certain maintenance requirements typically associated with fleet vehicles."

In addition, the available trims offer different range and content suited for additional fleet and commercial customers, such as pharmaceutical, rental and others.

Good Story on Police Vehicles that go into production in 2023.

All The Electric Police Cars In America | CarBuzz

Police EVs

• Chevrolet Bolt and Bolt EUV
  • Blazer EV
  • F-150 Lighting
  • Mach-e

I would not be surprised to see a Dodge Police EV soon show up and while the retail side of Charger/Challenger ICE are ending next year, Dodge has confirmed they will continue to build all commercial versions in fulfilling long term contracts, so you can always pick up a Police Force retired Charger or Challenger.

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

@David

Wow.  I've never been to Hawai'i.  I don't know if and when I'll get there.  And I don't know how I'd mix it up if there - Oahu, Hawai'i (big island), Maui, and/or Kauai?  One wants to see the famous things we've all seen about Oahu.  But I'm also interested in the topography and vegetation of Kauai, which looks stunning.  I can name all the state's islands, but I don't know much about the other islands. 

- - - - -

Oh, yeah, what I originally came on here to randomly pontificate:

Life is too short for cheap hot dogs.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

@David

Wow.  I've never been to Hawai'i.  I don't know if and when I'll get there.  And I don't know how I'd mix it up if there - Oahu, Hawai'i (big island), Maui, and/or Kauai?  One wants to see the famous things we've all seen about Oahu.  But I'm also interested in the topography and vegetation of Kauai, which looks stunning.  I can name all the state's islands, but I don't know much about the other islands. 

- - - - -

Oh, yeah, what I originally came on here to randomly pontificate:

Life is too short for cheap hot dogs.

My Wife and I started with a trip to Kauai with another couple and I ended up buying a Time Share that I love on Hanalei Bay.

Tropical Vacation Rentals Kauai | Hanalei Bay Resort

With this trip to Maui, I can now say that our Favorite Island is Kauai as it has a mini–Grand Canyon, 7-mile crackling sand beach and amazing hiking and colored volcanic sand beaches.

Waimea Canyon | Kauai Hawaii (hawaii-guide.com)

Polihale Beach Kauai - Kauai Advisor Gorgeous 7 mile long beach

Kauai State Parks: An Insider's Guide (parrishkauai.com)

Division of State Parks | Hāʻena State Park (hawaii.gov)

Our second favorite island is the big Island of Hawaii with the volcanos, space telescope observatories and lots of great outdoors stuff to do. 

Do not get me wrong, if you like history, then the other islands are great to visit especially for the WWII history to be seen, but there are lots of people and the costs are much higher. If you like hiking, seeing the outdoors, then Kauai and Big Island are the places to go.

If you're a movie buff like I am with a minor in Film Analysis, then Kauai wins again due to all the movies that have been filmed there that you can go and explore either on your own or part of a vacation sight-seeing package.

Movies Filmed on Kauai - Poipu Beach Association

Hawaii Movie Tour in Kauaʻi | Roberts Hawaii

Location Guide to Movies Filmed on Kauai (parrishkauai.com)

Did ya know that Gilligan's Island was filmed on Kauai?

If you wanted one Island to enjoy with a balance of small city life and rural beauty, then Kauai is it. If you are more a city person, then Oahu or Maui is it.

Best Hot dog I think is the Extra-Large Hebrew Nation Dogs or Kielbasa dogs from Business Costco, grilled on my own BBQ with a Brioche hotdog bun that is buttered and grilled to a golden brown for a nice Crunch. Add carnalized Spanish Sweet onions, soft, heated cream cheese and BBQ sauce for what we call a Seattle Dog.

So, what is your thoughts on the new Dodge Charger SRT EV?

CN022_001DGmj9se71rgdnrearjn7ugp4sbhb.jpgCN022_003DGv5l7ou7fgrsiic8klufta93hjc.jpgCN022_005DGnk7sfs7h4ok1sdvib74c2a0ec1.jpgCN022_008DGufbs6fdi6mmib5grii8ka4gp4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds you had a great vacation. I’ve been to Hawaii a couple of times, only to Oahu.  Definitely want to go back and explore the other islands.  

I thought I saw a couple threads on here about the Charger EV concept a few days ago.  I like it a lot, have watched a few videos about and read stuff on all the usual sites.   Looking forward to seeing the production model. 

After a few false starts where I started watching it and turned it off because it was tedious and a long movie, I watched "Gone Girl" in its entirety.

That movie contains enough material about dysfunction for a handful of doctoral dissertations in psychology.  Whew.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

After a few false starts where I started watching it and turned it off because it was tedious and a long movie, I watched "Gone Girl" in its entirety.

That movie contains enough material about dysfunction for a handful of doctoral dissertations in psychology.  Whew.

Took me multiple times too, to watch. One messed up movie. LOL

• Agree 1

Interesting Jay Leno Garage videos, he is now a Walmart supplier.

Seems they decided after this episode to build an Electric version of Sam Walton truck.

Jay Leno recreated Sam Walton's 1979 Ford pickup with an electric F-150 Lightning | Fox News

Seems Ford is ready to go step in step with California for all auto's be EVs by 2035 as a national standard.

Ford Statement on Proposed Advanced Clean Cars II Regulations in California | Ford Media Center

• Thanks 1

Seems October 16th, 2022, Mercedes will finally reveal the 2024 EQE electric SUV.

First glimpse of the interior of the new EQE SUV - Mercedes-Benz Group Media

So, it would seem that the EQE will get the same MUUX Hyperscreen for the top-level dash and then the other lower tier dashes identical to the EQS. So other than size and car versus SUV, why is the EQS so much more special than an EQE?

22C0291_010.jpg

On 8/20/2022 at 6:49 PM, David said:

FYI, since we were in lockdown during my 30th Anniversary and now in year 31 but things opening up, last week my kids surprised my wife and I by taking us away to Maui for a 7-day celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. 

Beautiful Fireworks Happy 31st Anniversary GIF — Download on Funimada.com

• Thanks 1

Decided to put this here instead of the Hornet thread (since that's where it started but was diverting from the subject of the Hornet). My last Toyota. 1996 RAV 4, FWD, Auto. Bought it March 2016 with 252K miles on it. It was purely my "beater car" to get to work and back. I sold it December 28th, 2019 with 267K miles on it. Clearly, I did not drive it much. It sat outside in my driveway in Peoria, AZ (Robert knows lol) all those years (no room in the garage lol) with ZERO window tint. The car spent its first 17 years or so of its life somewhere in Davids neck of the woods (according to CarFax). The rest, it spent in 120 in summer Phoenix, AZ, which was at seven years by the time I sold it. These pics are of that very RAV 4 and while the paint was faded six ways from Sunday, the body and frame were both solid and NOT ONE crack in the dash (or anywhere else for that matter), headliner droop, or otherwise faded material (save for the seat fabric of course).

image.thumb.jpeg.80ee8155ec1e31d10da441ca7e2889d0.jpeg

IMG_4627.thumb.JPG.86ac8fcdcb64204e7dae0e591d6b16ee.JPG

IMG_4628.thumb.JPG.313163e4a273d45d0ead7a3a26e0ba77.JPG

IMG_4625.thumb.JPG.40255450e9ef8f09af8aea1b8f3961b2.JPG

But yeah, that Toyota quality and reliability was soooo overrated. I just don't get why millions buy them every year. 😜

(As he tips out for the night)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Decided to put this here instead of the Hornet thread (since that's where it started but was diverting from the subject of the Hornet). My last Toyota. 1996 RAV 4, FWD, Auto. Bought it March 2016 with 252K miles on it. It was purely my "beater car" to get to work and back. I sold it December 28th, 2019 with 267K miles on it. Clearly, I did not drive it much. It sat outside in my driveway in Peoria, AZ (Robert knows lol) all those years (no room in the garage lol) with ZERO window tint. The car spent its first 17 years or so of its life somewhere in Davids neck of the woods (according to CarFax). The rest, it spent in 120 in summer Phoenix, AZ, which was at seven years by the time I sold it. These pics are of that very RAV 4 and while the paint was faded six ways from Sunday, the body and frame were both solid and NOT ONE crack in the dash (or anywhere else for that matter), headliner droop, or otherwise faded material (save for the seat fabric of course).

But yeah, that Toyota quality and reliability was soooo overrated. I just don't get why millions buy them every year. 😜

One thing that I have to point out, as you pointed out, spent the bulk of it's life in the PNW. An area where road salt is banned. PNW vehicles are well known to not have the rust issues of the east coast or midwest. As such, if I was to buy a used auto, those two places mentioned are NOT where I would want the used auto to be from or from Canada which I have seen show up recently as used auto's, but when looking under the auto are rusted 6 ways to hell and back. Mild winters, no road salt and a cool climate makes for long life auto's such as this one you have.

Everything else is on par as average reliability and depending on how one maintains it can either be long life or sucks and dies.

12 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny...

1996 RAV4 alive in 2019?

yeah...Last time a I saw a 1996 RAV4 in Montreal was like a 10-12 years ago... 

Or my anecdotes dont count for anything...

You know what is funnier?

This gen RAV 4 

2010 Toyota RAV4 photos - 1/6 - The Car Guide

is also nowhere to be seen in Montreal... Its only been a decade.  And both gens of RAV 4s were EVERYWHERE here.

You know what is hysterical?

Honda CRVs and Chevy Equinoxes of 2010ish years are still roaming around in the Montreal region.  

Does that count as anecdotal proof?

Ill repeat what Ive said

Its mindboggling to what lengths we try to defend Toyota when its clear that Toyota is NOT this super reliable thing. Toyota is JUST as shytty as the next OEM.  Sometimes, and it has been often that their engineering failures have been some of the worst in automobile history. 

THERE IS NO DEFENDING THAT ESPECIALLY WHEN WE WANT TO PUNISH DETROIT FOR ENGINEERING FAILURES. TOYOTA FAILURES HAVE BEEN DETROIT BAD. SOMETIMES WORSE.

THERE IS NO DEFENDING THAT

@oldshurst442 If Toyota was this super awesome best in class engineering powerhouse then we would not be seeing them buy back all of their first EV attempt due to a problem that Toyota is on record they do not know how or when they will fix it, so the 2,700 owners in the US here who bought the Toyota bZ4X have been pushed in selling them back to Toyota or are being put in a long term loaner as the auto's are parked at the dealerships awaiting an engineering fix that Toyota says they do not know when it will be fixed.

Toyota's bZ4X recall isn't going great – company offers car buyback | Electrek

Toyota recalls all its bZ4X electric cars over wheels potentially falling off | Electrek

Does not matter who posts the story, the common theme is this is not going well for Toyota who is playing catchup to everyone else since they bet on Hydrogen rather than EV to be the consumers preference.

Charged EVs | What does the bZ4X recall and buyback mean for Toyota’s EV efforts? - Charged EVs

• Educational 1

29 minutes ago, David said:

Does not matter who posts the story, the common theme is this is not going well for Toyota who is playing catchup to everyone else since they bet on Hydrogen rather than EV to be the consumers preference.

That's a pretty bold statement about a company who is leading the US in total sales.