Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

I have been thinking about IKEA's Christmas smorgasbord lately.  Damn pandemic had to ruin things.  I have a feeling it may return this holiday season.  For about $12,99, all I can say is "bring it on."

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I have been thinking about IKEA's Christmas smorgasbord lately.  Damn pandemic had to ruin things.  I have a feeling it may return this holiday season.  For about $12,99, all I can say is "bring it on."

IKEA has a XMAS smorgasboard? Never heard of it or seen it. This is offered in their small restaurant? 

• Haha 1

Yes, from what I recall when they were doing them habitually, Portland IKEA has/had 4 of them a year:

Easter julesbord (smorgasbord)

Mid-summer julesbord (" ")

Christmas julesbord (" ")

a buffet centered around crayfish *

They use a 2 seating system, with 2 blocs of time.  With the IKEA card, they are a really good value.  The food is actually of good quality, though it has that trademark Nordic IKEA blandness, which I can roll with.

* I hated this one ... I don't like crayfish or crawfish ... for some reason, this event was largely attended by Asians and the decorations for the event reflected that, too.  I don't know what the link might be.  The others were attended by a more typical cross-section of people.

23 hours ago, ccap41 said:

FYI, this is two different Hummers with differing issues. 

The one that had interior issues and air ride issues is GM's and they said it had just under or just over 2000 miles on it. The other one is theirs with 150 miles on it. 

That's a good way to piss customers off and push them away from EVs for awhile until it becomes proven technology. 

Your flagship vehicle shouldn't be bricking itself brand new. 

Teslas are still bricking themselves brand new after 2-3 years of being on the market.

6 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes, from what I recall when they were doing them habitually, Portland IKEA has/had 4 of them a year:

Easter julesbord (smorgasbord)

Mid-summer julesbord (" ")

Christmas julesbord (" ")

a buffet centered around crayfish *

They use a 2 seating system, with 2 blocs of time.  With the IKEA card, they are a really good value.  The food is actually of good quality, though it has that trademark Nordic IKEA blandness, which I can roll with.

* I hated this one ... I don't like crayfish or crawfish ... for some reason, this event was largely attended by Asians and the decorations for the event reflected that, too.  I don't know what the link might be.  The others were attended by a more typical cross-section of people.

When does it start? I don't see anything about it on my local Ikea page.

32 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That doesn't make it any more or less acceptable for the Hummer, especially with its starting price. 

It's a bleeding edge product. Totally new platform with totally new tech.  I'm okay with there being a bit of leeway regardless of if it is GM, Mercedes, Nissan, whoever.  Anyone who bought one of these knew that they were signing up for a new release product.

The people who made the video are in the business of making these videos... and frankly, I will be doing the same thing once my EValanche shows up.  And if it breaks down, I'll make a video of it.   But I know going into that purchase that the EValanche is new tech and problems could happen. That's why I'm keeping the gasser also.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's a bleeding edge product. Totally new platform with totally new tech.  I'm okay with there being a bit of leeway regardless of if it is GM, Mercedes, Nissan, whoever.  Anyone who bought one of these knew that they were signing up for a new release product.

BlEeDiNg EdGe, with a description like that I'd assume you work for GM. 

The technology really isn't THAT new. It's still just an electric vehicle with air suspension and a locking differential. Rear wheel steer isn't new either, even for GM. 

I can't imagine any regular person buying one of these(or any vehicle) is expecting things to not work, just because it's new. 

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The people who made the video are in the business of making these videos... and frankly, I will be doing the same thing once my EValanche shows up.  And if it breaks down, I'll make a video of it.   But I know going into that purchase that the EValanche is new tech and problems could happen. That's why I'm keeping the gasser also.

And don't forget, it's not like ICE cars don't have problems off the factory floor and sometimes major problems and they have been on our roads for well over a century. This, like the YouTube video depicting it, is making a mountain of a molehill, if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

BlEeDiNg EdGe, with a description like that I'd assume you work for GM. 

The technology really isn't THAT new. It's still just an electric vehicle with air suspension and a locking differential. Rear wheel steer isn't new either, even for GM. 

I can't imagine any regular person buying one of these(or any vehicle) is expecting things to not work, just because it's new. 

Difference in definitions. Electric motors, batteries, and air suspension aren't new.  But these are totally new designs for all of them... it's a full platform.

It's exactly like when the Alfa-Romeo Guilia came out. Everything on that car except the transmission was a new design.  New engine, new electronics, new body, new everything... except the ZF-HP8 transmission.  And that's why it was a problem for FCA. But that same platform has been perfected since 2015 and now rides under the Grand Cherokee and it's largely fine.

All manufacturers play fast and loose with the term "all-new".  Is the Integra really all new?  The platform is just a Civic, it just uses the CR-V/Civic engine and transmission, it uses a lot of off the shelf Acura components.  What about the Bronco?  The body was new, sure, but everything under the sheetmetal was lifted from the Ranger and F-150 and they still had issues.

The Hummer really is "All new" ... like for real.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's exactly like when the Alfa-Romeo Guilia came out. Everything on that car except the transmission was a new design.  New engine, new electronics, new body, new everything... except the ZF-HP8 transmission.  And that's why it was a problem for FCA.

Comparing the Hummer to an Alfa product likely isn't a good thing... I guess we should expect them to be piles for a few years. 

Also, not having a fairly easy way to get the vehicle into a tow mode for trailering..? What's that about. I wonder how many other vehicles have the same issue, I've just never come across it (because the vehicles don't brick themselves). 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

That doesn't make it any more or less acceptable for the Hummer, especially with its starting price. 

This is one of the better documented stories on a Tesla S P85D, a 6-figure car that bricked itself while on the highway and just instant stopped from mid 2021. 
A Tesla Bricking Itself On The Highway Shows EVs Have A N Issue (jalopnik.com)

Yet, I am also finding plenty of Tesla current stories on bricking after software update, ram failure, etc. It is across all 4 models even the Platinum have bricked. So Guess Tesla is not as rock solid as expected.

OUCH, just found this, a class action lawsuit against Tesla. Seems Tesla is not willing to cover the cost of a failed OTA EMMC flash update.

BRICKED TESLA - Is your Tesla Model X or S not working? If your main 17" screen is dead, you may have a case.

Interesting, I think the fact that GM took this into account with a hard to get too yes based on the videos you posted @ccap41 switch to get a reset and the Hummer rolling where this option is not in the Tesla shows at least GM realized issues could happen and the need to get it to roll out of the way was much needed.

That's freakin inexcusable for how long these same exact models have been around. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting, I think the fact that GM took this into account with a hard to get too yes based on the videos you posted @ccap41 switch to get a reset and the Hummer rolling where this option is not in the Tesla shows at least GM realized issues could happen and the need to get it to roll out of the way was much needed.

No, there's a relatively simple process to get a Tesla into a tow mode/neutral. I couldn't find one for a Hummer EV. You don't have to unhook the 12v battery in a Tesla to reset it (did you see the process to reset everything once they reconnected the 12v battery?) to then be able to put it into neutral. 

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's freakin inexcusable for how long these same exact models have been around. 

No, there's a relatively simple process to get a Tesla into a tow mode/neutral. I couldn't find one for a Hummer EV. You don't have to unhook the 12v battery in a Tesla to reset it (did you see the process to reset everything once they reconnected the 12v battery?) to then be able to put it into neutral. 

Yes, but then maybe since I grew up working on auto's, I took it as convoluted but still a process for a new era of a new auto, first of its kind for GM. I honestly do not think it was top of the list for the engineers which we have seen for ICE autos with some of the head scratching what the hell was engineering thinking when they put this filter here or required this stuff removed to do a supposedly basic maintenance.

I think at this early of a stage, bricking is an expected possible issue for all EVs as we move to everything electric and drive by wire. I am sure as they make more and hit various issues, engineering will say DOH, why did we not think of it at the start, but not everything can be caught at the start of a Revolution.

Be interesting to see what Honda does about this in their Ultium based SUV. 

39 minutes ago, David said:

I think at this early of a stage, bricking is an expected possible issue for all EVs as we move to everything electric and drive by wire.

If that's the mindset, then they're going to push the movement back some years because it'll piss off regular buyers enough to say "fck electric, it's not worth it". 

40 minutes ago, David said:

Be interesting to see what Honda does about this in their Ultium based SUV. 

It's Honda, they likely won't allow something to leave their facilities with major issues. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

If that's the mindset, then they're going to push the movement back some years because it'll piss off regular buyers enough to say "fck electric, it's not worth it". 

It's Honda, they likely won't allow something to leave their facilities with major issues. 

A random Bricking is not like the early days of ICE when you had to crank and hope you could turn over your motor.

One could say if that was the case, then fck it, I stay with a horse. 🤪

I have seen more and more Hondas broken down on the side of the road, so who knows. Yes you would think a very conservative auto company like Honda would not allow it's EV to Brick, but then sadly their current Hybrids have been broken down in places I never thought I would see them.

Time will tell and I suspect the Bricking issue will be resolved by the time Blazer, Equinox come out. I honestly have searched and not found a single Bricking issue for the Chevrolet Bolt.

46 minutes ago, David said:

A random Bricking is not like the early days of ICE when you had to crank and hope you could turn over your motor.

One could say if that was the case, then fck it, I stay with a horse. 🤪

Well, we're well beyond those days and a reliable vehicle is pretty easy to find. 

I, too, haven't heard any stories of Bolts bricking, just catching fire. 🤣

I kid, but seriously, I haven't heard of those issues with the Bolts. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Haha 1

This makes me dislike Tesla even more. This move to cheapen the auto and take away features temporarily till they can make the features work with cameras only reinforces me not willing to touch a Tesla as I think this is a gamble by Tesla to increase profits at the risk of human life.

Tesla bets on cameras, drops ultrasonic sensors, pauses some features (greencarreports.com)

Good read for those interested in why 800V EVs are desired over a 400V system and to better understand the difference. 

Why 800V High Voltage System makes more sense for EVs? - Wheels On Roll

I also posted this in the thread below as I did not realize till today that Mercedes is the only German auto company NOT on an 800V system, but a 400V system. I could not recommend a Mercedes EV at this time. It will be 2024 before they have a new platform that supports 800V and probably has the parts lined up that are needed.

Just found the most current 800V paper on why all EVs should be on this and why the Auto industry has committed to having all EVs on 800V platforms by 2025 globally.

Paper was published Dec 15th, 2020 but is the bases of what the auto industry is building too.

800-V Electric Vehicle Powertrains: Review and Analysis of Benefits, Challenges, and Future Trends | IEEE Journals & Magazine | IEEE Xplore

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm just guessing they'll do it this year because we're seeing a lot of restrictions lifted.  U.S. to Canada and vice versa travel is now free of restrictions.  IKEA is probably waiting until closer to the date to decide whether they will do it.

The Christmas one is typically the second Friday in December.  I would check with your store in mid-November.  The price with the IKEA card may now be a little higher than $12.99, but I expect it to be fair.  There is an early seating and a late seating so they can handle the demand.  You buy tickets in advance.  That's what I've done at the Portland location.

Just think:  salmon, Swedish meatballs, soups, salads, sides, their Scandinavian chocolate bon bon type things, lingonberry juice, coffee and tea ... and return trips to the serving line for more.

Wishful thinking for the return of IKEA smorgasbords!

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

From researching the website for IKEA, it seems this is part of their family events and one has to register to be a part of the family to take advantage of the event.

IKEA Family – Join our club for free - IKEA

Seems they imply that free certain foods, drinks and events will be available for Family members only and you must join their free family member program to take advantage.

IKEA U.S. introduces new IKEA Family benefits - IKEA

I could be wrong, but that is the take I get on the IKEA Smorgasboard events.

• Thanks 1

@David

The IKEA card is indeed free.  I've had one for years.  Most average metro areas have only one IKEA.  Sometimes, it's at an "end."  I recall that, in the Seattle area, it's down south around Kent-Auburn* and one took the Valley Fwy. to get there, so I have only been once or twice.  They could easily put one in on the north end and it would do well, if one is not already there.

They might have upgraded the benefits.  They don't matter much to me.  I don't like their merchandise very much and I find the maze inside annoying.  Mostly, I've used the card for the free coffee and tea and the food specials.

I think that anyone can go to the julesbord events.  It's just that the price spread for members and non-members was noticeable.  Maybe they've changed the rules and are now requiring IKEA card membership to  go to these "buffets."

BTW, the IKEA card and its bar code mean squat in Europe.  I explained the situation after presenting my card, getting a "thud," and they did tell me to help myself to the tea!

* yes, that Kent, about which one friend said, "If Tonya Harding were from the Seattle area, she'd be from Kent."  I've told this one before.  Classic.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I would like to introduce you to the 2019 Acura RDX: the one a lot of people say to stay away from.  It took Acura at least a year to correct those issues in time for the 2021 model.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@David

The IKEA card is indeed free.  I've had one for years.  Most average metro areas have only one IKEA.  Sometimes, it's at an "end."  I recall that, in the Seattle area, it's down south around Kent-Auburn* and one took the Valley Fwy. to get there, so I have only been once or twice.  They could easily put one in on the north end and it would do well, if one is not already there.

They might have upgraded the benefits.  They don't matter much to me.  I don't like their merchandise very much and I find the maze inside annoying.  Mostly, I've used the card for the free coffee and tea and the food specials.

I think that anyone can go to the julesbord events.  It's just that the price spread for members and non-members was noticeable.  Maybe they've changed the rules and are now requiring IKEA card membership to  go to these "buffets."

BTW, the IKEA card and its bar code mean squat in Europe.  I explained the situation after presenting my card, getting a "thud," and they did tell me to help myself to the tea!

* yes, that Kent, about which one friend said, "If Tonya Harding were from the Seattle area, she'd be from Kent."  I've told this one before.  Classic.

Yes the Kent IKEA is still there, none in the north end.

I agree with you, hate the maze, hate the cheap stuff they sell, was not willing to wait in a long line to try the food, so who knows if I would like it. Over all, my son likes IKEA and I think it is because it is cheap.

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I would like to introduce you to the 2019 Acura RDX: the one a lot of people say to stay away from.  It took Acura at least a year to correct those issues in time for the 2021 model.

I would say Acura took till 2022 to fix their issues with the RDX and MDX. 

My sister inlaw, wifes sister has a 2019 of each. She drives the MDX and her husband drives the RDX. Both have had all types of electrical issues, water leak issues and drivability issues that took till this year to resolve. Both are retired and on a fixed income now otherwise they say they would trade them in on something else, not an Acura.

Maybe they are just unlucky, but I will say that I think Acura built a name and then went cheap to maximize profits from the line.

• Agree 1

Have to say that this is one of the best write ups I have seen on a state-by-state ability to see what your state tax credit is for EVs.

Every electric vehicle tax credit rebate available, by state (electrek.co)

Why in the hell is there even a debate about issues with a completely new FIRST YEAR product? Regardless of price or powertrain, sometimes (believe it or not), $h! happens, even for Honda. What GMC does to fix said issue is the key here so making endless excuses about why its BS for it to brick like that means not one thing here. Just sounds like bitching for the sake of just bitching. Maybe nitpicking is a kinder word here but either description fits here IMO.

Some interesting reads, I like what I see for the IONIQ 6 sedan, the EV fighter to the Tesla 3. @oldshurst442 @ccap41 Might just like the car.

Review: 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6 challenges Model 3 in range, revives sedans for the aero age (greencarreports.com)

Seems the EV tax credit for U.S. production will bring back more manufacturing jobs as more auto companies want to compete and take advantage of the EV tax credit.

Audi May Finally Build Cars In The US Thanks To New EV Tax Credit (insideevs.com)

Seems Amazon is going to continue to fund Rivian as they expand with a European plant that will allow trucks, SUVs and Especially delivery vans to be produced.

Amazon will spend €1 billion on electric vans and trucks in Europe (electrek.co)

@ccap41 This I thought of you about the inconvenience of charging. Good read on an EV road trip. I find it a fair assessment and yes, it is on the west coast, so charging is far easier to find than the mid west.

I took a 2,200 mile electric roadtrip with no prep. It was easy. What’s the big deal? (electrek.co)

U.S. Military is experimenting with Electricity and GM Ultium is leading the way. Think 55 ton M1 Abrams tank with quiet electric drive? At 55 tons, who cares if you have to add 3 or 4 tons of battery to drive it. LOL 🤪

The US Military Is Buying Ultium Battery Packs From GM Defense - CleanTechnica

@regfootball Thank you for posting, I just do not have enough time to cover everything that gets press released.

Here is the official press release:

2024 Chevrolet Trax Delivers Beyond Expectations

Starting MSRP of $21,495 with the following:

Five distinct personalities — LS, 1RS, LT, 2RS and ACTIV — offer design and content choices, while all trims add enhanced features and technologies, including:

• Chevy Safety Assist2 with six advanced safety and driver awareness technologies
  • Larger infotainment3 screens — a standard 8-inch-diagonal system and an 11-inch-diagonal screen on LT, 2RS and ACTIV trims
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay4 and Android Auto5 capability
  • LED headlamps
  • 17-inch, 18-inch or 19-inch wheels
  • Four-wheel disc brakes
  • Active Noise Cancellation

Additional new features on most trims include push-button start, automatic climate control, wireless phone charging6 and more. Cruise control is also standard equipment on all models and Adaptive Cruise Control2 is available on some trims, a first for Trax.

The new Trax is powered by a 1.2L turbocharged inline-three engine rated at a GM-estimated 137 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. It is matched with a proven six-speed automatic transmission. The turbo contributes to excellent on-demand power, particularly for passing maneuvers and on-ramp acceleration.

Each trim has specific design cues, including specific grille designs and wheels, as well as unique décor, depending on the model:

• LS and LT feature clean, straightforward designs, with additional bright trim on LT. 17-inch steel wheels are standard on LS and 17-inch machined aluminum wheels are standard on LT.
  • RS trims offer the Trax’s sportiest design with additional exterior trim accents, as well as a unique grille with an embedded RS badge. The 1RS trim includes unique 18-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels and the 2RS features 19-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels.
  • The new ACTIV has a monochromatic look including titanium chrome accents and an aggressive-looking rear skid plate motif. It also features unique black 18-inch wheels..

The different trims also receive their own décor and accents, including:

• LT features black seats with Sky Cool Gray accents
  • 2RS features red accents on the seats and a racing-inspired flat-bottom steering wheel
  • ACTIV features Evotex seats with yellow accents
  • RS and ACTIV trims feature black bowtie emblems

Additional standard and available content include:

• Center console with ergonomically optimized shifter location
  • An electronic parking brake opens up more storage space in the console
  • Four bottle holders and two cupholders
  • Heated front seats, steering wheel and outside mirrors are standard on 1RS, 2RS and ACTIV and available on LT. Heated front seats and outside mirrors are available on LS
  • Remote start standard on 1RS, LT, 2RS and ACTIV and available on LS
  • Automatic climate control, push-button start and added rear-seat USB ports on LT, 2RS and ACTIV
  • Power-adjustable driver’s seat on ACTIV
  • Available sunroof

For the first time on Trax, customers can wirelessly connect Apple CarPlay4 or Android Auto5 to the infotainment system, while wireless phone charging6 is a new available feature on LT, 2RS and ACTIV. Trax also continues to offer Wi-Fi Hotspot capability7.

2024 Chevy Trax Trim Starting at Pricing1

LS

1RS

LT

2RS

ACTIV

$21,495

$23,195

$23,395

$24,995

$24,995

2024-chevrolet-trax-activ-017.jpg2024-chevrolet-trax-activ-008.jpg2024-chevrolet-trax-activ-019.jpg

Full Specs can be seen on this Press Release: 2024 Chevrolet Trax Delivers Beyond Expectations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is so true:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella puts his finger on the problem with WFH | Fortune

We have way too many business leaders using worthless data to either justify forced office work or stupid reasons that they have to monitor you to have a hybrid works system. Microsoft has nailed this as has Dell and the profits prove it. Work from home or Hybrid work from home can allow a business to excel if the leaders can inspire the workers to deliver.

• Like 1

Other Interesting news this week so far:

Sony and Honda have formed a joint company called Sony Honda Mobility. Will sell a Sony EV as the first of many autos to come for this new company.

press-release_2022-10-13_en (sony-honda-mobility.com)

This makes one wonder about the future of Honda and their agreement with GM and the Ultium platform.

Honda has announced a $700 million investment in three Honda Plants to retool them for EV production. 

They have also announced a $3.5 billion joint investment with LG Energy Solutions for battery modules with converting the whole product line to EVs by 2040.

Honda Makes Major Investment in Ohio to Create New Electric Vehicle Hub (hondanews.com)

Seems we keep having breakthroughs in battery development and charging. This now gives us a 10 min charge time.

Battery Tech Breakthrough: 10-Minute Charge Time Paves Way for Mass Adoption of Affordable Electric Car (scitechdaily.com)

Playing with Rivian configurator to see what all is available now and I like what they offer. Here is my R1S SUV that I like and I would get if I can just get access to a demo unit to test fit myself and the back seat in.

image.png

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's a pretty awesome to benchmark. I'd probably do the same. 

Makes me believe that the Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban, GMC Yukon/Yukon XL and Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV will be pretty good when they do start rolling out EV versions.

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not a huge fan of that face but I bet it's a phenomenal vehicle. 

Sierra EV.webp

Lots to love about this Truck, look for more in the story I will publish in a bit.

Many of us here have said that Tesla and the World of Musk will come crashing down as competition gets EVs going. The latest report along with a U.S. and Global recession and inflation is making it come true I think.

Elon Musk's lofty goals came back to bite him again — and it's only going to get harder from here (msn.com)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Many of us here have said that Tesla and the World of Musk will come crashing down as competition gets EVs going. The latest report along with a U.S. and Global recession and inflation is making it come true I think.

Elon Musk's lofty goals came back to bite him again — and it's only going to get harder from here (msn.com)

Tesla could use a real CEO rather than a guy who seeks celebrity instead of doing his job.  At least most automakers like GM have a real CEO focused on the job and not celebrity.

• Agree 4

Work has me slammed so I am not going to get this written up. Seems FoxConn is not only the latest Contractor and Design manufacture for other EV companies but has decided to become an EV auto company as well.

In May 2021 FoxConn and Fisker signed an agreement that would have FoxConn build their low-end EV SUV. Fisker Ocean is scheduled to start 2023 manufacturing on FoxConn plant here in the U.S. located in Wisconson.

Fisker, Foxconn sign deal to build EV in U.S. | Automotive News (autonews.com)

Now FoxConn is going to expand in the U.S. to build their own EVs for sale globally. 

HHTD 2022 Unveils Two Concept Prototype EVs, Defines Contract and Design Manufacturing Service (CDMS) First made-in-Taiwan electric pickup and crossover hatchback │ Foxconn Technology Group

Two SUVs and One Pickup truck.

Model B is aimed at the younger generation. This is a compact size @ 2.8 meters in length and 450 kilometers of range on a full charge.

image.png

Model C is a midsize SUV with 700 kilometers of range on a full charge.

image.png

Third auto is the Model V, a first made-in-Taiwan electric pickup truck. 5 seat configurations in a double cab mid-size truck.

image.png

FoxConn platform is a 48V based system. As the auto's go into production starting in 2023, more details about power train, HP and Torque will be released.

image.png

Seems Hyundai is very serious about raking in EV subsidies and sales as they move production of EVs here to the U.S. in 2023 and now this about battery production.

Hyundai breaks ground on $5.5 bln U.S. EV, battery plant | Reuters

Hyundai says new U.S. EV plant could begin production in 2024, produce 500,000 vehicles annually | Reuters

• Like 1