Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's a pretty bold statement about a company who is leading the US in total sales. 

Same thing was said about GM in the 80's and 90's when they were leading the global sales king title. 

Every dog has their day and drops.

In other news, seems that for a few changes and for retooling the Hyundai IONIQ 6 EV sedan is delayed by 4 to 6 months, but that has not stopped presales from setting a record for the first 24hrs on sale.

South Korea: Hyundai Ioniq 6 Preorders Exceeded 37,000 In 24 Hours (msn.com)

No. of Ioniq 6 preorders hits new record on 1st day (koreaherald.com)

Slowing down the launch... Ioniq 6 battery, design change | Hankyung.com

Top Gear in an interview seems that car lovers could get a manual gear box.

The electric Lexus LFA successor *might* get a manual gearbox | Top Gear

EDIT: Also adding that Toyota is behind in the EV race as I pointed out they bet on hydrogen and lost.

2018 you can find stories like this about being behind: Column:-Toyota-lagging-behind-in-EV-race | Rubber News

By 2021, more and more writting on Toyota being behind: Why is Toyota lagging the competition in the EV race? - CatoCarGuy.com    Toyota is behind in global electric vehicle race | NationofChange

Even 2022, still the news is always about Toyota being behind now, seem much like how GM was in the 90's as the news said they were always behind before Toyota took over. Toyota, Honda, And Nissan Are Falling Behind In EV Race | CarBuzz

Yes, they are still Global much bigger than GM and will probably stay there as Toyota seems to not have any problem selling in places that GM / American or European companies would not sell due to the Countries political system or religion. Toyota does not care about anything other than the money. Yet this very same approach while sustaining them to catch up could still be what topples them too.

Toyota has been recognized as being a leader in Solid State batteries. 

Toyota secures huge lead in solid-state battery patents - Nikkei Asia

Yet even with this, Toyota is working with Panasonic on how to commercialize them as well as deal with their one problem of a short life span for Toyota. As such, 2025 they will have limited use in their Hybrid auto's and not in any EV. Toyota is saying 2030 for that compared to others like Samsung or LG where they are seeing Solid State production without life issue around 2025.

Toyota’s Quick-Charging Solid-State Battery Coming in 2025 (caranddriver.com)

Very cool, Seattle has started a program, if you do not have a charging station at your apartment or condo building, you can request they be added at the street side and they will install.

image.jpeg

Thought about writing up a story on this, but just too much to get done today and this weekend, as such here are the two PDF files for those that want to see the difference in stereos between the Rivian R1T and R1S.

Did not realize that Rivian had gone with a Meridian built Stereo system for their EVs. Very cool.

Snag_5160a885.pngSnag_51609396.png

rivian-r1t-meridian-at-a-glance.pdfrivian-r1s-meridian-at-a-glance.pdf

Meridian | Rivian (meridian-audio.com)

OUCH for Ford. I have to say I would not want a auto built between 2020 to now as this build, take apart and finish later just sucks.

Growing Pile of Unfinished Ford Trucks Is Visible From Space Again (thedrive.com)

WOW, Crazy some of the weird things you learn on an auto site.

Here's What A Sinister Looking Giant Black Pyramid Is Doing At An Abandoned Military Base (thedrive.com)

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Its mindboggling to what lengths we try to defend Toyota when its clear that Toyota is NOT this super reliable thing. Toyota is JUST as shytty as the next OEM. 

And this is why I don't try to argue facts versus feelings here (no offense Olds). Countless reliability and quality studies over the last 30 years or so directly contradict this "shytty as the next OEM" assumption. Again, I am not saying they are perfect because they are far from it but reliability is still not one of their main issues unlike companies like Fiat. It's not even debatable when we look at actual facts.

@David--As far as this rust nonsense goes, I can put that to bed too. While working at a couple of used car lots years ago in NC, I found out one thing very quickly. Any car purchased at auction DID NOT come from up north, regardless of brand. I've seen rust on everything from Nissan, to Ford, to Audi and BMW and they all came from the north. It is not just a "Toyota thing" because some folks decided to file suit against one generation of trucks (forgetting the fact that no other Toyota seemed to suffer this supposedly "rampant" problem, so much so that folks went to court over it).  

That is all. 

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

And this is why I don't try to argue facts versus feelings here (no offense Olds).

None taken.    🖕

oops...wrong emogi  

👍

All jokey and fun!!!     :)

but...

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Countless reliability and quality studies over the last 30 years or so directly contradict this "shytty as the next OEM" assumption. Again, I am not saying they are perfect because they are far from it but reliability is still not one of their main issues unlike companies like Fiat. It's not even debatable when we look at actual facts.

This is not accurate.

Frame failures and engine failures due to oil sludge tell a different story, an opposite story of reliability and especially quality.

Its engineering failure is what it is and to simply ignore THAT reality is what you have said, trying to argue facts over feelings because of some moronic sheeple person ignoring the fact that his Camry's engine has seized up, Toyota blamed him for using the wrong oil when in fact he done his oil changes AT Toyota dealerships and then filling up a contrived survey favoring Toyota to begin with about Toyota reliability when that sheeple Toyota Camry owner SUBJECTIVELY, not OBJECTIVELY, filled out that his Camry is reliable ignoring the fact that his Camry is out of commission. 

Please spare me the bullshyte with reliability surveys... 

Reality tells me otherwise

https://www.toyoland.com/sludge.html

Both four-cylinder and six-cylinder Toyota engines of the late 1990s and early 2000s have been prone to oil gelling or “sludging,” which could affect cars that were only a couple of years old. Before buying a used Toyota of this era, it may pay to look under the valve covers for “sludged” oil. Blue smoke may be one symptom. Many recommend using synthetic oil to avoid the problem.

In some situations, oil additives are burned off or destroyed; then oxidation occurs and pollutants congregate in the oil, producing sludge and varnish. Originally, it was thought that the oil was being “burned” by excessive heat, but the sludge may be caused by problems with crankcase ventilation, at least in some cases. The problem was not particular to Toyota and Lexus; Mercedes, Volkswagen, and Chrysler have all had problems (Chrysler’s was restricted to the 2.7 V6, and was soon cured) — but Toyota appears to have been afflicted more than any other automaker, and it affected both V6 and four cylinder engines (built from 1996 to 2001).

But even then, I remember 'twas only Chrysler getting shyte from the automotive media for their 2.7 V6 not a peep for Toyota and Mercedes.  

Remember, this was at the HEIGHT of German engineering prowess and Toyota god like status for reliability and quality.  

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/toyota-tacoma-most-years-are-reliable-but-some-2005-2010-models-struggle-with-rusty-frames-faulty-leaf-springs

Key Points

• Toyota Tacomas from 2005 to 2010 were recalled for excessive rust and rot impacting the structural integrity of the frame, and airbags that may not deploy.
  • The 2016 and 2017 models scored low across the board for a host of problems, with the most common being a quirky transmission.
  • Overall, the Toyota Tacoma is one of the best midsize pickups in its class, and if you avoid the worst years you should end up a happy owner.

That last point...the overall point, that if someone avoided the worst years, one would end up a happy owner...
Talking about putting feelings above facts, huh?
About those owners whose Tacomas have failed them?
As sheeple as they can get,  they forgave Toyota and said in surveys other than the frame falling apart on me, but yeah FCKN GREAT VEHICLE!!!  I mean, I couldnt do truck things with it because the frame rotted and buckled, I couldnt drive it, because, you know, but it was reliable and it was quality built...
Automotive media brushed it off. 

And remember, these Tacomas that have failed are RECENT... 10 and 15 years ago, right after the record recalls that Toyota has had for other problems including sticky electronic pedal failures, and the aforementioned engine oil sludges.  I could dig up more problems because Toyota is THAT shytty...
But we keep on harpering on Detroit.  We keep on forgiving Toyota.
My point still stands, the lengths we go to ignore Toyota's shyttyyness.
My point still stands, Toyota is JUST as shytty as the next OEM. 
Edited by oldshurst442

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Frame failures and engine failures due to oil sludge tell a different story, an opposite story of reliability and especially quality.

And in both cases, way overblown (owned one of those 3.0 sludge cases via a ‘93 ES300 with absolutely no sludge issues). Again, I am more than happy to side by side some the competition from those years and their related issues but I’m not wasting any more time trying to convince folks who don’t want to be convinced. 

• Agree 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:23 PM, surreal1272 said:

I sold it December 28th, 2019 with 267K miles on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.80ee8155ec1e31d10da441ca7e2889d0.jpeg

But yeah, that Toyota quality and reliability was soooo overrated. I just don't get why millions buy them every year.

I can handle Toyotas and, with the lack of American cars in the market niches they do serve, they are beginning to look even better. 

However, what I cannot handle is the brown/tan aesthetic of any of the population centers in the Mountain West.  I might even include the Central Valley of California.

- - - - -

The random but practical thought I really wanted to share:

I just got my flyer from Costco.  In a few days, the Michelin sale cycle is on, with $150 off when buying 4 tires.  That's essentially 4 tires for the price of 3 in my world, meaning the tire size I need for my daily driver.  Check your specific Costco market area if this is of interest to you.

5 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And in both cases, way overblown

yeah...overblown

Eyeroll Robert Downey Jr GIF - Eyeroll Robert Downey Jr Sigh - Discover &  Share GIFs

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I am more than happy to side by side some the competition from those years and their related issues

Sure, the Northstar V8 had issues. Catastrophic issues.  Its just that in one case, we are still miffed with Cadillac and with the other, we are calling it overblown.  Same time frame to boot. 

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

trying to convince folks who don’t want to be convinced. 

765,535 Mirror reflection Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

The lengths we go to ignore Toyota's shyttyyness.
 Toyota is JUST as shytty as the next OEM. 

This is interesting 🤔

Seems Ford and Mercedes Benz are the worst auto companies this decaded for recalls.

Car Recall Facts and Statistics 2022 | Bankrate

Recalls jumped from 2011 to 2015 and then fell from 2015 to 2018 before heading up again.

• Automotive vehicle and equipment recalls - U.S. | Statista

More interesting news, comparison of the Hummer EV, F-150 Lighting and R1T pulling a 29 foot trailer.

GMC Hummer EV Towing Compared To Ford Lightning, Rivian R1T (gmauthority.com)

Details per the story: the GMC Hummer EV managed 140 miles with a full battery, well below the 329 miles estimated without towing. By contrast, the Ford Lightning and Rivian R1T fared considerably worse at 100 miles and 110 miles, respectively.

What was interesting observation is the comments about the weight of the EVs actually helped to give a more stable safe ride pulling the trailer.

Tug of War match between Rivian and Ford. Rivian Humbles the Ford Tough EV.

Rivian R1T shocks Ford F-150 Lightning in tug-of-war exhibition (teslarati.com)

Tesla is sure not going to win fans with their test mule and the crazy placement of cameras. Talk about a dog.

Battle-weary Tesla Cybertruck spotted testing with new equipment (teslarati.com)

21 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

yeah...overblown

Eyeroll Robert Downey Jr GIF - Eyeroll Robert Downey Jr Sigh - Discover &  Share GIFs

Sure, the Northstar V8 had issues. Catastrophic issues.  Its just that in one case, we are still miffed with Cadillac and with the other, we are calling it overblown.  Same time frame to boot. 

765,535 Mirror reflection Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

The lengths we go to ignore Toyota's shyttyyness.
 Toyota is JUST as shytty as the next OEM. 

Just because you think it’s true doesn’t make it so and I’m done trying to convince folks here who would rather gaslight because of their own prejudices than to understand the wealth of data that contradicts their view. 

BTW, I like Cadillac but that is gaslighting 101 if you think the Northstar was the only big issue with Cadillac back then.

And that mirror goes both ways Olds. Just sayin’. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Just because you think it’s true

I dont think its true.  I know its true.

Toyota reliability is a lie. A nicely planned marketing scheme.

They even got you hooked, line and center by telling me about reliability surveys. 

their own prejudices than to understand the wealth of data that contradicts their view. 

The data actually shows that Toyota is not that special in the reliability department. Their marketing spins it. But data actually shows their engineering falters as much as other so called unreliable OEMs. 

BTW, I like Cadillac but that is gaslighting 101 if you think the Northstar was the only big issue with Cadillac back then.

Again...

Toyota sold MILLIONS of sludge infected 4 and 6 cylinder engines across the Toyota and Lexus brands.

3.5 million to be exact ONLY from the USDM.

Class action suit for phoques sake.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge.

An engine gummed up with oil sludge can cost thousands of dollars to repair and in many cases must be replaced. The class action settlement could potentially cost the automaker hundreds of millions of dollars.

The agreement will allow consumers whose claims have been denied by Toyota to submit those claims to a third-party mediator at no cost for binding arbitration.

How many engines did GM phoque up during this time and sold to the public?

About as much? Toyota was a lot smaller though from GM then so that 3.5 million is a huuuuuuge number.

You could say that GM was cheaply engineering their engine issues but Toyota was arrogantly  denying theirs.

But you just proved MY POINT as we NEVER hold Toyota accountable for anything.

YOU yourself said Toyota's issues are overblown but keep on harping that somehow Cadillac has more issues. 

Dude...

3.5 million cars affected with shytty engines yet you dont seem concerned...

4 cylinders and 6.

Toyota cars and Lexus at a time when ALL surveys and consumer report rag mags (paid by Toyota) to sell a lie that Toyota cars are reliable.

I know you are not any kind of blind fanboy, and good on you that you've had great Toyota vehicle experiences, but no, Im not sold on Toyota's marketing campaigns. 

No gaslighting. Just stating truths. With actual links to back up my opinions.  Not fake news links. Actual Toyota failures.  Huge failures that SHOULD 
You on the other hand, are just spewing these slogans that somehow all these major engineering failures are  nothing.  Talk about using feelings over facts when discussing this topic. 

Your link would be what?

Consumer's report?  

The funny part is that consumer's report didnt even report the engine sludges and all these years the Camry was America's most reliable car. 

LOL

Ignoring that Camry's 4 AND 6 cylincer offerings were sludges...

3.5 MILLION cars.

But yeah...

On 8/27/2022 at 3:13 PM, surreal1272 said:

And in both cases, way overblown (owned one of those 3.0 sludge cases via a ‘93 ES300 with absolutely no sludge issues).

Overblown right?...   The ironic pun in you word choice...

(It would be a 3.0 V6 from 1997 instead of your 1993 FYI)

from another link.

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/oil-sludge/

• The oil inside Toyota's 1997-2005 3.0L engine is predisposed to sludge problems.
  • Oil sludge is a thickening of engine oil that increases fricition and heat, eventually causing massive damage to the engine.
  • In 2007, Toyota settled a class-action engine sludge lawsuit that covered an estimated 2 to 5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles made between 1997 and 2002.

The Engine Sludge Settlement

Toyota settled a class-action engine-sludge suit in 2007 that covered an estimated 2.5-million Toyota and Lexus vehicles made between 1997 and 2002. Toyota agreed to repair the "sludged-up" engines for up to eight years from the time of purchase.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, surreal1272 said:

And this is why I don't try to argue facts versus feelings here (no offense Olds). Countless reliability and quality studies over the last 30 years or so directly contradict this "shytty as the next OEM" assumption. Again, I am not saying they are perfect because they are far from it but reliability is still not one of their main issues unlike companies like Fiat. It's not even debatable when we look at actual facts.

Yeah, I'm not really understanding how they can be just as "shytty as the next OEM" either. A couple big recalls and they're on par with "everybody else"..? 

• Thanks 1

@oldshurst442 @surreal1272 @ccap41

I like facts, sooooooooo.

This only covers 1985 to 2016 on yearly average recall by vendor. Toyota is on par with GM. Interesting is that GM is the fastest and best response, and the lowest recall is Porsche.

Best and Worst of Automaker Recall Rates (wardsauto.com)

image.png

QUOTE: 

Tesla was the timeliest at 100%. GM had the best recall timeliness of the major automakers at 74.7%.

“Despite the well-known ignition-switch recall in 2014, GM’s recalls have historically occurred within the first three years after production,” Ly says.

image.png

Here is additional details on reliability.

Car Recalls: How to Check for Recalls by VIN - iSeeCars.com

image.png

10 Most Recalled Cars Of The Last Decade (hotcars.com)

Auto Recalls Down Overall, But Not For Everyone (forbes.com)

Interesting is Toyota in 2016 hit the top 10 chart for recalls falling to spot #4 behind Ford, Chevrolet and BMW.

The 10 Most Recalled Car Brands | YourMechanic Advice

Lots more but the facts seem to have Toyota on par to GM for Recalls.

• Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, David said:

I like facts, sooooooooo.

I like facts too and you know for a fact that recalls do not equal long term reliability yet you love bringing it up whenever Toyota comes up even though that fact still remains. 

From dealerships to auto publications, They are near or at the top of damn near every reliability study and data set out there. 

https://www.carmax.com/articles/most-reliable-car-brands

https://www.wane.com/news/top-picks/the-most-reliable-car-brands-for-2022/

https://www.autolist.com/guides/most-reliable-car-brands

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/consumer-reports-lexus-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-lincoln-the-least/

https://www.hotcars.com/most-reliable-cars-last-miles/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I like facts too and you know for a fact that recalls do not equal long term reliability yet you love bringing it up whenever Toyota comes up even though that fact still remains. 

That was exactly the first thing I thought of, as well.  Recalls absolutely do not equate reliability or unreliability. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

From dealerships to auto publications, They are near or at the top of damn near every reliability study and data set out there. 

https://www.carmax.com/articles/most-reliable-car-brands

https://www.wane.com/news/top-picks/the-most-reliable-car-brands-for-2022/

https://www.autolist.com/guides/most-reliable-car-brands

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/consumer-reports-lexus-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-lincoln-the-least/

https://www.hotcars.com/most-reliable-cars-last-miles/

Thank you for your input, considering that many of the Toyota's that are considered reliable are also the small basic lemming auto, even Chevrolet basic trucks like my truck I got from my dad, a basic Series 5 Luv Truck was considered junk by some, and others thought they were great, had manual door locks, manual windows, 4 spd manual transmission and it just went almost half a million miles. Reliable and solid, yet Consumer reports rated them as Isuzu made junk for Chevrolet, reliable for Isuzu. So, depending on the reporter, it can vary greatly. For the Lexus/Toyota's that have allot of electronics to supposedly luxury interiors, I have seen far more junk than quality.

Never have figured out why my aunt loves Lexus when the last 3 she has had, had so many problems both mechanic and interior trim. In fact the one thing that would keep me from every owning a Lexus is how often I have seen their head liners drop in the back of which my Aunt had them in every single auto and she just started on her 4th Lexus, but rather than a car, she went with their SUV so she could slid her butt in and not have to do deep squats to get in and out of.

Your right my friend, I do love facts, but even facts can be twisted to whatever line of thinking the writer wants, we all know that.

I happen to agree with @oldshurst442 That Toyota has gotten a free ride on allot of failed crap in their auto's due to an excellent marketing department that has kept up this whole reliability thing.

At least we can debate and discuss it here.

End result to me is that Toyota is equal to Ford or GM or Mercedes in quality and not this reliable better than most auto company.

They sell ALLOT of basic transportation to the Lemming Crowd and as such, when you have basic no frills, minimal electronic stuff, it should last regardless of if an engine has a sludge problem or not, if taken care of, it should last.

Complexity seems to be an area of challenge for Toyota, if you look at the first couple of years for the Prius, it was terrible and had problems, then worked out and has not really changed much for the last decade other than adding additional body models, but the power train and setup along with a terrible nav interface IMHO is what it is. 

Now Toyota is playing catchup on EVs and that is not looking good. Yes, they have more battery patents than most companies and have engineering talent, but that does not mean it gets to the actual end user product all the time.

Time will tell how things go with Toyota as we move into the EV generation.

• Agree 1

Funny part is

I NEVER MENTIONED RECALLS...

FUNNIER part is

A frame failure and engine failure, two HUGE lawsuits that Toyota HAD to settle affecting MILLIONS of cars, at the height of Toyota's God like stature and some of you, not mentioning names, do NOT think this is not part of the reliability equation...

You do you...(dont really care what you believe)

Robert De Niro Casino Gif : Casino Review Movies Tv Amino / The president  of the screen actors guild announced that robert de niro will be receiving  the 2019 sag life achievement

I, on the other hand, dont buy into these false claims that Toyotas are more reliable...  

I KNOW that Toyotas are just as shytty as what Toyota sheeple (and the two resident C&G guys)  regard the other OEMs...

Casino" Turns 25 Years Old This Month | Lipstick Alley

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

All this talk and arguing about Toyota ... what a coincidence.

I had to rent a car for two days just a few days ago.  I had requested a compact.  When I got there, I told the rental agent I preferred something with a trunk.  So, he gave me a Camry, which I had rented in Houston a year or two ago and reviewed here.

So, I live with this car for 2 days and take it out of town.  The driving was 65% interstate, 25% two-lane rural highway with some stops and speed zones, and 10% stop and go city driving.  I got 35.9 mpg - or let's just say 36 mpg.  (Had it been all interstate, it would have pushed 40 mpg).

They were able to do this with with 2.5 liters worth of engine, no turbocharger, and an 8 speed automatic transmission, which is the best part of this powertrain.  For this, I give Toyota some credit.

I like my own car with over 100,000 miles much more than this car, but I sure don't have many options on what to buy these days.  (I'm not looking to open up a discussion on EVs and the future right now ... I'm just venting).  I'll say that, compared to my GM car, you feel the cheapness when you slam the doors shut or have to use the prop rod to keep the hood up.  

If the few cars I sort of like can be purchased new within the window of time I foresee, I will be somewhat happy about that. (I recently learned the VW Passat is also gone, and I like the Passat much more than any Asian car of the same size.)  If not, and I wind up buying one of the remaining sedans left on the market I'm lukewarm about, it looks like I will have gone from loving cars to merely liking them.

• Thanks 1

Very cool, GM willstart mass battery cell production for Ultium battery packs allowing GM to ramp up EV production.

https://gmauthority-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/gmauthority.com/blog/2022/09/production-starts-at-gms-joint-venture-ultium-battery-factory-in-ohio/amp/

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

All this talk and arguing about Toyota ... what a coincidence.

I had to rent a car for two days just a few days ago.  I had requested a compact.  When I got there, I told the rental agent I preferred something with a trunk.  So, he gave me a Camry, which I had rented in Houston a year or two ago and reviewed here.

So, I live with this car for 2 days and take it out of town.  The driving was 65% interstate, 25% two-lane rural highway with some stops and speed zones, and 10% stop and go city driving.  I got 35.9 mpg - or let's just say 36 mpg.  (Had it been all interstate, it would have pushed 40 mpg).

They were able to do this with with 2.5 liters worth of engine, no turbocharger, and an 8 speed automatic transmission, which is the best part of this powertrain.  For this, I give Toyota some credit.

I like my own car with over 100,000 miles much more than this car, but I sure don't have many options on what to buy these days.  (I'm not looking to open up a discussion on EVs and the future right now ... I'm just venting).  I'll say that, compared to my GM car, you feel the cheapness when you slam the doors shut or have to use the prop rod to keep the hood up.  

If the few cars I sort of like can be purchased new within the window of time I foresee, I will be somewhat happy about that. (I recently learned the VW Passat is also gone, and I like the Passat much more than any Asian car of the same size.)  If not, and I wind up buying one of the remaining sedans left on the market I'm lukewarm about, it looks like I will have gone from loving cars to merely liking them.

Have you driven or checked out any of the cars by Hyundai or Kia?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, David said:

Have you driven or checked out any of the cars by Hyundai or Kia?

Yes, I have had the Elantra and Forte as rentals several times.  I believe I've had an Optima once. 

When it comes to Hyundai and Kia, I almost like their Accent and Rio, respectively, more.  They're like personal go karts.  Sadly, those have gone from 6 speed automatics to CVTs.  I've had rentals with both types of transmissions.

13 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes, I have had the Elantra and Forte as rentals several times.  I believe I've had an Optima once. 

When it comes to Hyundai and Kia, I almost like their Accent and Rio, respectively, more.  They're like personal go karts.  Sadly, those have gone from 6 speed automatics to CVTs.  I've had rentals with both types of transmissions.

Maybe due to my personal size, I was thinking of their bigger cars than the subcompacts. Everyone I have talked to that owns or has had a chance to drive like the Kia K5 and especially the Stinger have loved them. Very solid built cars.

Very interesting, seems the Porsche IPO is going forward in 4 weeks and VW and Porsche both expect the large cash infusion to help them pass Tesla in becoming the top EV auto companies in the world.

Volkswagen and Porsche Take a Huge Risk With a Big Bet - TheStreet

8 hours ago, David said:

Very interesting, seems the Porsche IPO is going forward in 4 weeks and VW and Porsche both expect the large cash infusion to help them pass Tesla in becoming the top EV auto companies in the world.

Volkswagen and Porsche Take a Huge Risk With a Big Bet - TheStreet

A Porsche IPO?  Why do they need this?

Interesting, so we all know the Challenger and Charger are dead as V8 powered cars at the end of 2023. 

Camaro is to be dead at the end of 2024 as an ICE car.

Ford is now looking at stretching out the current Mustang to the end of this Decade and will be the last V8 Pony car as with the launch of the New GE2 Global Platform that will give an updated Mach-E next year, Ford is also planning to role out an electric Mustang by 2027 or 2028 and have both ICE and EV run till 2030 then EV only.

Next-gen Ford Mustang hybrid and AWD reportedly dead | Autoblog

19 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Put French onion dip in front of me and I become dangerous.

Make a pint of that with Ruffles Potatoe Chips and a good movie and yes, it will not survive! 🤤

Very cool to see this modern supercharged powerplant in a 1981 Trans Am.

Sweet and Sour: This 1981 Trans Am Features Big Boost (theblock.com)

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I just saw this photo.  I had completely forgotten that they made these and couldn't even generate an image of it in my head if told about it.  Cutlasses couple sales far exceeded sedan sales in several of its generational designs.

pt3PU1bG8=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

However, it's not totally ugly.  They did the best they could with it.

• Like 2

And note that they made both 4dr sedans and 4dr hardtops (like the blue Cutlass) in each of the 4 lines from '66-72 (the 4dr ht was added in '66).    Pretty rare to see any of them today.

That '71-72 Skylark looks familiar--when I was a kid circa 75-78 my next-door neighbor had a blue '71-72 Skylark 4dr sedan, and got a blue w/ white top '76 Regal.   Both in a shade similar to that blue Cutlass.

This '66 LeMans 4dr ht is clean...

ca0812-133708_9@2x.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

File:1970 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4-dr, front left.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Pontiac Le Mans Questions - Where can I get photos of 1970 4-door light  yellow LeMans? - CarGurus

Four Doors Can Be Cool: Low-Mile 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass | Barn Finds

Believe In This! 36k-Mile 1972 Buick Skylark | Barn Finds

Yeah, the 4 door A-Body leaves much to be desired.

You got them all, and you got them in ascending order, by division!

There we go:  unified grille on Chevy and Buick, split grille on Pontiac and Olds

I doubt that these were anything but reliable ... you can probably get an in-line 6 in all of the base models ... maybe even a "3 on the tree" (lol) but I hope people wouldn't have done that!

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

This '66 LeMans 4dr ht is clean...

ca0812-133708_9@2x.jpg

I liked the curved and mirror-imaged taillamps on LeMans coupes that had the finned back lites, say around '67.  A good many of those seemed to have 326 motors.

1 hour ago, evee said:

any thoughts regarding iphone 14?

I say a hard pass. 

Both of my kids are apple fans but they have both said there is nothing special about the 14 to justify upgrading from the 13 or even the 12 as they told one of the nieces to hold off a bit longer and see what new tech gets into the 15 as then the tech crunch for chips should be over.

• Like 1

Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth II ... it would have been nice to see both the Queen and Prince Philip become centenarians.  

Like most Americans, I do not follow the royals, but one good memory of the Queen would be her christening of the QE2 some 55 years ago, in 1967.  The superstructure would need to be completed and outfitted after the launch of the hull.  The ship - the famed QE2 - was finished and first sailed to NYC in 1969.

They haven't been sliding them into the water for decades.  They build them in dry dock and then "add water."

Also, the champagne bottle HAS TO break.  It would be bad luck if it didn't, they say.

There wasn't all the technology we have today, but, in many regards, these were probably simpler and better times.

52 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth II

The Queen is dead. Long live the King!  (as they say)

Queen Wave GIFs | Tenor

Maybe now, with a new monarch,  but Im not holding m breath, the Parthenon Marbles will be returned back to Athens where they rightfully belong.  If not, phoque him too!!!  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Queen is dead. Long live the King!  (as they say)

Queen Wave GIFs | Tenor

Maybe now, with a new monarch,  but Im not holding m breath, the Parthenon Marbles will be returned back to Athens where they rightfully belong.  If not, phoque him too!!!  

Very sad time, an amazing woman is gone.

Sadly, the people got an Idiot,

• Failure as a Husband
  • Questionable Father
  • Cheater on woman and other things
  • The list is so long, 
    • why, Oh why, did the queen not kick her son out and give it to William! 😒

45 minutes ago, David said:

Very sad time, an amazing woman is gone.

Sadly, the people got an Idiot,

• Failure as a Husband
  • Questionable Father
  • Cheater on woman and other things
  • The list is so long, 
    • why, Oh why, did the queen not kick her son out and give it to William! 😒

Questionable father is more of a monarch thing.

Failure as a husband that he eventually cheated on his wife would also be a monarchy thing.  His then girlfriend Camilla was not princessy like.  She didnt exude virgin vibes.  Diana was just 19 when they got married. He was 32.     Both were forced upon each other for monarchy image reasons.

When you analyze it a tad deeper, Diana was just 16 when she met her prince.  How phoqued up is that? They got married in 1981.  That would be AD.  Not BC.   I dunno about you, but my non-royal Greek a$$ has higher standards for my daughter than for me to ship her off without an education and I dont care if that person is 'royalty' almost twice her age.  As we eventually saw from both, money does not bring happiness. 

I dont really care for any royalty, much less for the British one, but I dont fault King Charles III for his failed marriage to Diana. I blame the hypocritical institution that is the British monarchy.  Not that I care all that much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:47 PM, evee said:

any thoughts regarding iphone 14?

Unless you need a 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max feature, you don't need to buy one.  If you have an iPhone 11 or later, no need to upgrade.  If you own an earlier ones, I would consider refurbished 12 or 13 models.

I'm sticking with my 2020 iPhone SE, even though the battery life is not good.  I don't need face id, and I don't like the large form factor of the regular and Max iPhones.  A small phone that fits in my pocket is fine for me.