Random Thoughts Thread

Its nice to see the trusted PIT maneuver, or any variant form of, outside of the USA with the same American problems plaguing other countries.  Maybe the shytty arrogance of Eurotrash snobbiness will dissipate when THEIR societal problems make OUR headlines and  pop culture, music and movies in general will talk about THEIR inequalities and lowlife individuals...

Now...I CAN be down with some comparisons of which police car has the best PIT maneuver capabilites.   That Audi in the video or the legendary 1990s B Body Caprice and last gen Fox body Ford Crown Vic. 

I put my money on the American cop cars. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to our members north of the border (we're so used to hearing "south of the border") and those who want to celebrate this day with them.

For the Canadians, I believe it's an annual celebration of the harvest more so than commemorating the symbolic arrival of the pilgrims to Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Knight Rider, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Hart to Hart, MacGyver, Magnum P.I., Miami Vice and LOVED V were the only shows I watched.

WOW, Talk about a walk down memory lane. Would love a modern CGI version of V as that would just rock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There was V reboot series about 10 years ago, don't know if it was any good. 

I remember regularly watching Magnum P.I., Simon & Simon, Hunter, Miami Vice, Sledge Hammer!, Police Squad, MacGuyver, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, The Fall Guy, TJ Hooker, Cheers, and Dallas growing up in the 80s.   And starting back in the 70s--M*A*S*H*, ChiPs, Dallas and the Rockford Files. 

During the '88-97 period I didn't watch a lot of TV--was busy w/ college and grad school--but I did enjoy Twin Peaks, The X-Files, and my intellectual guilty pleasure--Beavis and Butthead. 

I love this montage I found on YouTube of 1980s music, movies and tv set to a popular '80s pop song..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Just like music, in general, used to be better, TV shows used to be better.

Watching "Big Bang Theory" would be like pulling teeth, just like all those shows that take place in only 1 or 2 living rooms.

I wrote my comment inside his post!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Oh Yeah! 1

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There was V reboot series about 10 years ago, don't know if it was any good. 

I was watching that.  

It was pretty good.  I enjoyed it.  Was sad that it wasnt continued.    Kinda like in the 1980s...  Discontinued abruptly.  At least in the original 80s version, there was a 2nd or 3rd season but ended shortly thereafter when that hybrid baby came along.  It grew  up (fast) I remember as a pre-teen or teen but then the show was canceled...   Something like that.    The reboot didnt last a season.  

I enjoyed the two part made for TV movie that spawn the TV series the most.  I remember enjoying the 1st season a lot but then the subsequent stories and seasons (those were off and on again as well before being canned for good) were cheesiest.  I mean, the whole V thing was cheesy, but it was good cheese.  The last episodes of V were not as good is what Im trying to say.

The reboot was not cheesy at all.  If I rememer correctly, it followed the story beats of the original, but were nicely acted.  It was a more grounded production.

An interesting outlook on it, the movie Independance Day starring Will Smith in 1996 was EXACTLY the TV movie V for the first 40 or so minutes.  The way the ships come into the Earth's atmosphere.  The way the ships  line up on top of chosen Earth cities.  Is all the same.   Up until the White House was blown up. 

In the TV series V, the aliens come down to earth to introduce themselves while sneakily disguising their intentions and their actual reptilian appearance.  The movie Independance Day, we get to know the true intentions of the aliens when they destroy the chosen locations.  And this is where the two movies separate.  

• Agree 2

Very cool, the rebates become instant starting in 2024 for EV purchases of new and used vehicles plus leasing.

EV tax credit becomes instant dealership rebate in 2024: Here's how (greencarreports.com)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Very cool, the rebates become instant starting in 2024 for EV purchases of new and used vehicles plus leasing.

EV tax credit becomes instant dealership rebate in 2024: Here's how (greencarreports.com)

I didn't even know there was a credit for used EVs. That makes them even more inticing. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I didn't even know there was a credit for used EVs. That makes them even more inticing. 

Yes, for me I always hated the idea that you had to wait till the end of the year to get your credit and you had to finance and pay the full amount when it should have been a rebate all along. Now with January 1 2024 the credit becoming an instant rebate at the point of purchase, EVs sales should take off and of course as you pointed out, $4,000 rebate for used EVs makes it very enticing.

Another point is that if you have both a 220V outlet for a dryer as well as Natural Gas, and like me your not using the 220V as I use Natural Gas Dryer, then I can easily use that as a home charger circuit breaker to have it in my garage and just change the location.

Very excited for this rebate, next year could be the year for my first EV.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Do those credits and/or rebates apply when you lease an EV, buy an EV, or both?

Yes, they apply to both buying and leasing, this is how Hyundai, Kia and Genesis are able to offer the $7,500 rebate on their EVs. As they ramp up production in the US, many of this model year are from Korea and so only leasing gets the rebate, next year they will produce all their EVs in the US having the rebate for both buying and leasing.

Cool thing is all those new EVs made in Korea that do not sell can be turned into demo EV's and then sold as used with the $4,000 rebate even when they were made out of the country. Plenty of ways to get around the U.S. built only for new sales rebate.

• Thanks 1
  • Educational 2

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I didn't notice this until now but has anybody else gotten this notification through Chrome? I mean, I know there's no personal information held on this site from me but still interesting. 

@Drew Dowdell

image.png.01012172eaf6920bffc62815b0a773da.png

What site told you this or did you get it in email? That is very weird, I have never seen it before.

42 minutes ago, David said:

What site told you this or did you get it in email? That is very weird, I have never seen it before.

I was in Chrome and under the "Google Password Manager" then "Password Checkup" and it said this. I also had one for Yahoo, which also doesn't have anything personal of mine on it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, ccap41 said:

I was told about that when I was doing the first charge on that Tesla "wild card" rental that I exchanged. The guy charging up his car near me was telling me about these rebates ... and also that he didn't think these vehicles belonged in rental fleets because of the learning curve, even though he loved his car.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:44 PM, riviera74 said:

Do those credits and/or rebates apply when you lease an EV, buy an EV, or both?

It would have to be both to make it equitable.  Especially if there is a long lease term involved. Also, it makes it way better if it's a "flow through" when signing on the dotted line than having to wait for it until filing a return, or finding out which type of credit it is (the kind that can kick off a refund ... or that won't).  Purchases are more straightforward, so it makes me wonder what happens when someone doesn't comply with the initial terms of the lease.

I'm not at the stage of thinking about an EV, so I won't be educating myself on all the details. I only know I've got a decent chunk of GM card points and scratch my head as to whether I will ever be using them.

• Oh Yeah! 1

42 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I was told about that when I was doing the first charge on that Tesla "wild card" rental that I exchanged. The guy charging up his car near me was telling me about these rebates ... and also that he didn't think these vehicles belonged in rental fleets because of the learning curve, even though he loved his car.

I would totally disagree with him as rental is a great way for people to explore and try out the EVs. Usually good rental experience will lead to future purchases.

This discussion has been had before but I agree with @trinacriabob's interaction, I don't think rentals is a great way to get EVs into peoples' hands. 

The biggest advantage of an EV is charging overnight, at home, for very few dollars. Renting them negates all of that. 

15 hours ago, David said:

I would totally disagree with him as rental is a great way for people to explore and try out the EVs. Usually good rental experience will lead to future purchases.

Having to deal with public chargers isn't a great way to have a great experience. 

• Great Idea! 1

29 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Rental would be a good way to see how they drive, and how the interior fits and controls workthough...I don't care how they charge overnight.    

I will certainly agree with that. I just don't think *most* people are worried about that stuff. It feel like more people are concerned with charging them and that whole situation. 

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I will certainly agree with that. I just don't think *most* people are worried about that stuff. It feel like more people are concerned with charging them and that whole situation. 

The charging and range are a big deal, certainly...but I care about how a car drives and the interior fit/finish, ergonomics, etc...even if it's just a potential lease appliance..

As a truly random thought, I'm definitely thinking about options for a new car in the next year....CPO or new or lease, with an 830 credit score what kind of deal can I get, etc.. I don't see myself getting an EV, considering anything I get would only be driven a few times a week w/ working from home.  

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The charging and range are a big deal, certainly...but I care about how a car drives and the interior fit/finish, ergonomics, etc...even if it's just a potential lease appliance..

Of course everybody cares about that stuff but are there people who think they'll be THAT much different from an ICE vehicle? They think the ergonomics are going to be so vastly different because its powered by electricity as opposed to gasoline? There are people who think the fit and finish will be different because it doesn't have a gasoline engine? I know people are REALLY stupid A LOT of the time but that's tough to comprehend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Of course everybody cares about that stuff but are there people who think they'll be THAT much different from an ICE vehicle? They think the ergonomics are going to be so vastly different because its powered by electricity as opposed to gasoline? There are people who think the fit and finish will be different because it doesn't have a gasoline engine? I know people are REALLY stupid A LOT of the time but that's tough to comprehend. 

So true, it is amazing that people think because it is ICE it is powered differently on all the internal electronics from an EV.  Plenty of lemmings in the world for sure compared to us auto nuts. :P 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

So true, it is amazing that people think because it is ICE it is powered differently on all the internal electronics from an EV.  Plenty of lemmings in the world for sure compared to us auto nuts. :P 

With EVs, there are often weird door handles and overdone touch screen controls.  A lot of tech that doesn’t improve the experience.  I couldn’t imagine buying or leasing something without driving it and getting familiar with it first…and the driving experience *is* different, with a one speed trans/ linear power delivery and regenerative braking.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea! 1

This cracks me up, Toyota is trying to rewrite history about their focus on EVs and battery development. Supposedly been doing battery research on Solid-states since 2006. Love the writers comment on how Toyota is smelling it's own Hydrogen Farts since that was the focus on the now retired CEO and chariman of the company. The new CEO has pretty much brought the Gas thing to a close as he focuses on the world change to EVs. Toyota is in last place now, but has the deep money pockets to catch up if they do it right.

Right now Toyota / Subaru EVs suck.

Toyota joins race to bring solid-state batteries to mass production (electrek.co)

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

With EVs, there are often weird door handles and overdone touch screen controls.  A lot of tech that doesn’t improve the experience.  I couldn’t imagine buying or leasing something without driving it and getting familiar with it first…

Agree, just like me test fitting my large frame in the Kia EV9, I need to drive, test fit and check out the auto before I will buy.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Hybrid would be good for you maybe! I would check to see if there are any IRA rebates on it too.

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

and the driving experience *is* different, with a one speed trans/ linear power delivery and regenerative braking.

It is different but CVTs have been around for a long time now and that no-shift-feeling is what people like about them. There's just no engine noise to accompany the acceleration. 

And, I know there are differences and people should test out EVERY vehicle before purchasing. But that isn't unique to EVs. Test drive for awhile at a dealership. 

I'm not saying to not have EVs in rental fleets. I just don't think it is ideal for the majority of people who don't give a crap about their transportation. 

• Agree 2

On 10/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, David said:

I'll go with your second sentence here.  Rentals are what helped me decide on my current (ICE) car and sample others I have considered buying in the past.  For EVs, this is going to be a gradual process rather than a fast shove.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:41 AM, ccap41 said:

This discussion has been had before but I agree with @trinacriabob's interaction, I don't think rentals is a great way to get EVs into peoples' hands. 

The biggest advantage of an EV is charging overnight, at home, for very few dollars. Renting them negates all of that. 

Having to deal with public chargers isn't a great way to have a great experience. 

I agree with this, but more so about basic operation than recharging them, which is also an issue.  Look at how I went to a general charger, figured I'd be up until past midnight (since it's now October, I could have turned into a pumpkin if it had been this month), and had to go back to the drawing board to find the supercharger type that would charge the vehicle in 20 minutes.  For recharging during a rental, the way to get around that would be planning out the charging stops, which is a lot more difficult than purchasing fuel.

You can bet that the interaction was negative. 

First, I couldn't shut the EV off with ease.  I thought that repeating what I had done with the key fob vis a vis the slot near the console top to turn it on would then shut it off.  That wasn't the case.

Second, I didn't know where to obtain the mileage at return/exchange.  I didn't feel so bad when the rental agent came to the vehicle, sat in it, and fumbled around for about 30 seconds before locating the odometer reading.  Once seated, it should take no longer than 3 seconds for anyone to do that.

Yet all of this happened in less than half a day.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, Robert Hall said:

With EVs, there are often weird door handles and overdone touch screen controls.  A lot of tech that doesn’t improve the experience.  I couldn’t imagine buying or leasing something without driving it and getting familiar with it first…and the driving experience *is* different, with a one speed trans/ linear power delivery and regenerative braking.  

Yes, "overdone" is a good word.

I'm sure it has to do with the brand and how "normal" they choose to make these vehicles.  If they decide to keep EVs in rental fleets, they should hand out a basic info sheet or let you scan something with your phone that would give you info on the most basic 10 functions you will encounter, if not 20 of them.  It's not Barnes and Noble, so I'm not expecting 'EVs for Dummies' or be handed a book.  However, something to help the customer rather than shove them out the door to tend to the next customer (or the end of their shift) would be helpful.

• Agree 1

I'd like to rent an EV eventually and test it out, but would have to scope out beforehand to find the charging locations.  

Quite different from traveling to an unfamiliar area and picking up a normal rental car, never give a thought as to where the gas stations are since they are everywhere and easy to find..  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:39 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Fair St. Louis 2019 concert lineup announced | ksdk.com

You beat me to it.  LOL.  I usually notice these on the homepage.  I was not on "terra firma" during this event.

The Arch is very cool.  First, no two views of it to the visitor are likely to be the same.  Second, it gives a lot of credence to the notion that "less is more."

Happy belated to @ccap41

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kia EV day covered the EV 3 and EV4 concepts but according to other news outlets, the CEO has stated that Kia will have an EV2 out globally that will also be in the U.S. for far less than $30,000

2023 Kia EV Day | The revolution begins

KIA EV Day to be Held on October 12th - Korean Car Blog (thekoreancarblog.com)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Teslas biggest fan here

”The Cybertruck will sell like hotcakes and take pickup sales from the D3”

”The Cybertruck will make money for Tesla”

Also the Cybertruck…

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-says-dug-own-102158965.html

I actually saw a Cybertruck (prototype I assume) on a flat bed semi with some other Tesla products headed up interstate 71 here in Ohio. Maybe up north for cold weather testing?

Must is a world class assclown and idiot in so many ways. 

Excellent video on how to sharpen an axe. 

• Agree 2