Telsa Model 3 pic

It is?

I got fooled then. Sorry.

I was told by one of my employees that that pic was the Model 3.

I then looked at my partner's Model S and saw it was different and so I went with it..

I was looking at the fogs...they are different???!!!

MW-AS799_tesla__20120706190649_ME.jpg?uu

Upon further inspection....I will apologize for the idiocy I just did...

We'll so much for the web site working.

https://model3.tesla.com/

post-12-0-69109500-1459484558_thumb.jpg

If this is the true car, I am not impressed.

Reminds me of that ugly french car that I cannot think of the name of right now, but they have them in canada. Had a cool early hydrolic suspension but was butt ugly like this car.

model-3-unveil-1.jpg

The GCI shots look better than the in-person photos of the prototype, which looks, well, unfinished like a prototype. There's something about the finishing of the sheetmetal and panel gaps that make it look like a work in progress. I expect the actual car to look better...

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/tesla-model-3-ev-finally-revealed/

It's a Pig with Lipstick and it has been punched in the face with that ugly front end.

FAILURE, there is nothing they can do to fix this ugly auto. The BOLT is far superior to this POS.

The shape is a bit previous gen Mazda 3 and the headlights a bit like an Infiniti G37.  But overall it has the Tesla look after seeing the offical photos.  The Specs are awesome though.  $35,000 before tax credit, 215 mile range, 0-60 in under 6 seconds and autopilot is standard.  The upgraded model is supposed to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, that is Corvette fast, but cheaper than a Corvette and a sedan with space and hardly any maintenance costs.

This car could be the tipping point.  Right now electric cars like the Leaf are just too costly, too slow, too low a range, etc.  They can't compete with a gas powered car.  But the day will come when a gas engine car is more expensive and slower than the electric car.  Might take 10-15 years, but it will happen.

• Agree 1

150,000 people already put down a $1,000 refundable deposit for this car.

I am curious to see the cost of the Insane mode car or whatever they will call it.  If it is like $55k with M3/C63 performance that is a pretty good deal.

• Agree 1

I think people in general need to get over the fact that these cars(any economy/electric) are going to all the aero points they can get so they will all become more and more similar and more and more bland as time goes to perfecting the least amount of drag all while pushing a 5 person sedan through the air. That is the whole "jelly bean" thing going on with all of the SUVs as well. There just won't be much for uniqueness on the economy car, electric, small CUV, heck most CUVs...  That's one reason all of the mid size sedans are moving to the "coupe" body style because the long, raked rear window is more aero eficient than a rear window that is more vertical and a flat trunk.

FYI, the Model S has a 0.24 drag coefficient. Tied with the Current C and S class, which are about 10 years newer. The Prius is 0.25 for comparison's sake. 

Yes they do seem to be this cheap and that is no different than a returned Leased Tesla S model. they drop big time in value like MB do's.

150K pre-orders and lines around the blocks. Just give up, GM.

All those who have ragged on Cadillac that the ATS isn't 'bold enough' are going to be extremely displeased here.

No, because Cadillac billed A&S as being bold and fresh, yet the ATS was staler than Subway spinach.

Tesla has no such pretensions.

• Agree 2

However you feel about Tesla, they done did broke the internet.

And people want to buy their cars.

They have done the hard work by building a superior brand. You mention Tesla to the average joe and they'll instantly think it's better than GM or anyone else.

It appears to be the most credible electric car for the masses, and if anyone thinks the Bolt is any better looking, then I'll just say I like my dumplings long and smooth instead of fat and short - you'd be amazed at what gets clogged and what doesn't.

• Agree 2

For the plebes that could not see the unveiling live.

The car looks the way it looks. At this point it still is vaporware. But damn do people love sniffing it - and the Bolt surely could have used a similar reaction.

I saw the interior and I was like "Is that like a merging of a Prius & Audi minimalism" and some BMW i3 tossed in terms of a total lack of flavour?

Calling this car an ugly failure while praising the Bolt?????

model-3-unveil-1.jpg

The GCI shots look better than the in-person photos of the prototype, which looks, well, unfinished like a prototype. There's something about the finishing of the sheetmetal and panel gaps that make it look like a work in progress. I expect the actual car to look better...

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/tesla-model-3-ev-finally-revealed/

I like the looks. The grill-less nose is different, thats for sure. 

Not sure how this car can be called an ugly failure while at the same time calling the Bolt superior. Each to their own...

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-this-is-it-1768284734

The people have spoken.

Elon Musk says Tesla has taken $7.5 billion worth of Model 3 preorders

"This morning, some 24 hours after the first US dealerships began taking deposits, Elon Musk tweeted that Tesla has taken 180,000 preorders. That's $180 million in deposits, and, according to Musk's estimates, $7.5 billion worth of cars at a predicted average selling price of $42,000."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/1/11346916/tesla-model-3-preorder-180000-elon-musk-tweet

• Agree 1

The shape is a bit previous gen Mazda 3 and the headlights a bit like an Infiniti G37.  But overall it has the Tesla look after seeing the offical photos.  The Specs are awesome though.  $35,000 before tax credit, 215 mile range, 0-60 in under 6 seconds and autopilot is standard.  The upgraded model is supposed to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, that is Corvette fast, but cheaper than a Corvette and a sedan with space and hardly any maintenance costs.

This car could be the tipping point.  Right now electric cars like the Leaf are just too costly, too slow, too low a range, etc.  They can't compete with a gas powered car.  But the day will come when a gas engine car is more expensive and slower than the electric car.  Might take 10-15 years, but it will happen.

Yeah...SMK...I too see the previous Mazda 3 from the top side silhouette.

I also see Tesla's own Model X in that silhouette.

I need time to get used to that face without a grill. But one could personalize that area very easily....its an empty canvas space with lots of free real estate that one could use his imagination and just....personalize...

Besides...that is not the final product...maybe Tesla will put some sort of signature styling thing on it...like how the Model X is like rather than the Model S.

I....want to see the real final product for me to announce like or dislike...

I HATE the Model X's silhouette, but the Model 3 is pleasant enough.

I may tire really quickly of the sagging ass/crouching dog taking a pee stance of the rear end...but then again, many cars use that styling today....so I may eventually end up liking it due to the fact that many are doing that style...

Im just baffled because it looks like Tesla has successfully copied Apple's playbook of fanatical sales...

And THIS is why I think Tesla is here to stay for the long haul.

Unless of course they fumble the ball....

I see parallels with Musk to Steve Jobs....

Many disliked Jobs also...within the company even....and he was even "fired" from Apple...only to come back a start a new revolution called the iPod original and iPhone...and the next gen iPod and iPad....

Nothing that Apple did with Jobs was a failure in the market place...

Fad you say?

Well, from having no experience in cell phones...it did not take long for Job's Apple to be the industry leader in selling smart phones....

Hate Musk and think he is a detriment to Tesla....

Tesla has got it going on right now and GM better be afraid....because I dont thing the Bolt will be much of a threat to the Model 3....

These pre-orders are a frenzy....we have seen this before.....I mentioned the iPhone.....

Nokia is no longer what it used to be...

Blackberry is but a spot...

The Fremont plant....

The next step for the nay sayers,I bet you, is gonna question how will Tesla keep up with these orders?

Because now we see that Tesla is the real deal....

Let us not forget that the Fremont plant is the former NUMMI plant...I think it has enough capacity to build these...

Im happy with this frenzy...

Yes...yes...Apple fanatics can be crazy...and I see the same with Tesla fanatics....

But really, is that any different from  Mustang guys?

Or Camaro guys?

Or Vette guys?

Or even BMW M3 guys?

It takes fanaticism to make for a more enjoyable world to live in.

I don't understand people's affectations for grilles. They only exist because it has its roots based on function, not form.

For ICE cars - air is one of the many working fluids required. Like required. Therefore a frontal grille/opening/aperture that allows the existence of an air intake is also required. Then it's up to designers now to somehow make the grille look good and remain functional. 

But electric car's don't need as much air as a working fluid - perhaps only for cooling, but not for combustion!! So get used to it. Even the Bolt has the same kind of black shiny stuff to resemble what would have been a grille if there was an engine under the hood.

We had that whole thread WAYY back, like McConaughey back about fake hood scoops/vents. Well, similar thing.  

Now allow me to use LE TRUMP CARD. Case in point: Porsche mission E. Welp, there's no big as mofo grille!!! 

Oh my gaud....It's like Nissan Leaf all over again. Or GM EV1....or $h!. No more distinguishing grilles, just wedge shapes that fundamentally are based off of aerofoils. 

And Mr. Seabaugh at the MT says the car looks better in person. Now...I gotta be honest, I'm not wowed by the styling. But it's purely function over form. How some people say it looks sleek, well it's a happy accident that it appears to be so.

But they've used the nifty trait of EV packaging to produce a 3 Series size vehicle which has the total usable stowage space of a new crossover among the likes of a Buick Encore. Sure you don't get a big hatch opening, but the frunk works. It works. 

And then we have the requisite RWD for many of us. We have available AWD. You can get air suspension - which means potentially crossover-like ground clearance.

The car is appealing to a lot of people for the right reasons. It isn't a compliance car. They actually put some thought into this, and I don't see how anything electric can touch this car except in EV range and perhaps MPG-e. Hey, let's start comparing gasoline cars that you can fill up at any gas station btw by the range you have on a tank of gas. Comparable cars too like say a 2012 Cruze and 2012 Focus. They pretty much get the same mileage on their base engines. Range might differ because of gas tank size. But why should that matter? Why should range matter when it's the last thing people think about, they can fill-up where ever they want.

What I'm saying is, is that having comparable range to this car isn't going to cut it - not when Tesla has the best charging infrastructure - you can use their superchargers, you can use any SAE fast charger with the adapter provided with the car, and you can also charge on a household 110 here or the adaptive charging allows the car to "refuel" world-wide.

And if you can invest some cash into some decent solar panels (which Solar City [another Musk husk] will make a gigafactory [in USA as well)) you've got some nice combined synergies.

Marketers dream of synergies like this....

Seriously. Tesla can sell you the car, the home power storage system, and then you can potentially get unlimited local fueling for your Tesla through SolarCity panels, and then with all those gas savings you can buy a ticket to Mars through SpaceX.

$h!. This is a helluva strategy. And made in here in good ol' USA. 

• Agree 1

All those who have ragged on Cadillac that the ATS isn't 'bold enough' are going to be extremely displeased here.

No, because Cadillac billed A&S as being bold and fresh, yet the ATS was staler than Subway spinach.

Tesla has no such pretensions.

Actually, according to a blog on teslamotors.com by von Holzhausen, Tesla's chief designer, dated April 2009, Tesla's design goal is to be :

…better looking than anything on the market.

So now we know: they have the loftiest of pretensions possible.

Back to the Model 3 ……...

Edited by balthazar

Interesting that the deposit for the 3 is 1/5th the deposit for the X, yet the X is not 5 times the starting cost of the 3.

As mad behind schedule as the 3 is, let's hope Tesla has a MUCH better grip on getting it's new model to customers than it did with the Model X- there it took 4 months to deliver a whopping 208 SUVs. 

Edited by balthazar

But the day will come when a gas engine car is more expensive and slower than the electric car.  Might take 10-15 years, but it will happen.

But will they sell?

EV sales are not even half of 1 percent.

Well....like SMK said, the day will come when all the intangibles for EVs  will be at the very least equal but most probably be superior in EVERY metric as compared to petrol powered cars.

Intangibles such as range, charging infrastructure, maintenance...

Range:

Battery range for EVs will equal gas tanks in car....the day will come when 300-350 miles of range will be achieved in EV powered SUVs....in the extreme cold and heat...eliminating this huge obstacle..its just around the corner actually.

Infrastructure:

More and more charge stations are being put up....but the kicker is this: charging your EV AT HOME is PRICELESS to achieve 300-350 miles in extreme cold and heat with the AC or heat blasting with the radio and rear window defrost on MAX...

Even if supercharging does NOT improve and it stays at 20 minutes for 80-85% charge....charging the EV less on the road because of extended range becomes a moot point....and its done at home....most of the time...that equals AWESOME.

No need to stop at the gas station every 3-4-5 days...for normal every day commutes.

Maintenance: 

This is already an advantage.

Brakes and suspension and battery maintenance and tire wear and tear and steering components and CV Boots and Tie Rods and wiper blades needing replacement and windshield cracks are still gonna be necessary to be checked on and maintained and fixed and replaced....but...

NO LIQUIDS to be verified and topped off and replaced....therefore no wear and tear on mechanicals  that swim in that shyte....and its usually that shyte that is the most sensitive....(in pot hole countries....suspension bits and pieces are also high alert items).

EV motors have waaaaaaaaaaaay less moving parts and have ALWAYS been a waaaaaaaaaaaay more reliable source of mechanical energy.

So....as time goes by....more and more people WILL adapt and adopt....

Granted...in some parts of the continent faster than others....

Quebec, British Columbia, California, Washington....I think that these folks are already there....no need to wait 10-15 years like SMK said.

• Agree 2

Quebec, British Columbia, California, Washington....I think that these folks are already there....no need to wait 10-15 years like SMK said.

He said they would be "cheaper & faster" than ICE cars. Are you saying that's the case in the areas you mentioned above?

- - - - -

There are real AND perceived disadvantages to the EV that will take FAR more than a decade to overcome.

IMO, EVs need to reach 20% of vehicle sales to be an established, recognized segment. Right now, they are an extreme niche, akin (in sales penetration) to convertibles, maybe less than even that (IIRC, converts sit around 1.6%??). Imagine all the hype/buzz RE Tesla...instead talking about convertibles and how they're going to "take over". Most manufacturers have one, people like them….

At the rate EVs are going sales-wise, we're looking at at least 25 years to come close to 20%, not less than 10.

Edited by balthazar

He said they would be "cheaper & faster" than ICE cars. Are you saying that's the case in the areas you mentioned above?

- - - - -

There are real AND perceived disadvantages to the EV that will take FAR more than a decade to overcome.

IMO, EVs need to reach 20% of vehicle sales to be an established, recognized segment. Right now, they are an extreme niche, akin (in sales penetration) to convertibles, maybe less than even that (IIRC, converts sit around 1.6%??). Imagine all the hype/buzz RE Tesla...instead talking about convertibles and how they're going to "take over". Most manufacturers have one, people like them….

At the rate EVs are going sales-wise, we're looking at at least 25 years to come close to 20%, not less than 10.

According to government statistics, the West Coast is already where people think we will be for Charging stations, DC rapid charge and sales.

Current Statistics are as follows:

California leads North America with 24% of new auto registrations are plug in Hybrids, 32 percent were pure EVs for 2012 the latest full year of detailed auto registrations.

This is followed by Florida, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, Tennessee all having new auto registrations of Hybrids and pure EVs that run at just above or below the 10% mark. Meaning new auto registrations in these states are approaching 20% of new auto sales.

The overall green state winner is Washington state where power is in abundance and 100% renewable due to the excessive Hydro power, wind generation and sea generation of power.

Washington state has their 5yr plan for pushing plug-in hybrids and pure EVs.

EV Action Plan Washington State

Here you get incentives to purchase and own the following models:

EV Models:

BMW i3 • Ford Focus Electric • Mitsubishi i-MiEV • Nissan Leaf • Smart ForTwo Electric Drive • Tesla Model S

PHEV models:

Cadillac ELR • Chevrolet Volt • Ford C-MAX Energi and Ford Fusion Energi • Toyota Prius Plug-In

But the day will come when a gas engine car is more expensive and slower than the electric car.  Might take 10-15 years, but it will happen.

But will they sell?

EV sales are not even half of 1 percent.

EV's don't sell now because they are all bad except for the Model S.   The Model S despite the $100k price outsells the Leaf and Volt.  The EV range and charge time will improve and the technology get cheaper.  Suppose 10-15 years from now Tesla (or whoever) has an electric mid-size sedan that has a 400 mile range, 0-60 time of 6 seconds and virtually no maintenance and it costs less than a gas powered Toyota Camry.   It is game over for the mid-size gasoline car.

Imagine never having to go to a gas station, never having to drive out of your way to get to one, or never having to stop on the way home from work and spend 5-10 minutes pumping gas, smelling fumes, stating in the cold in winter, etc.   The electric car lets you plug in in your garage, and never need a gas station.  The cost savings are big too, you can drive a Tesla Model S 10,000 miles a year for about $300-$400 of electricity.  A V8 gas car would easily drink $1,000 more in gas.

It is still possible that Tesla fumbles the ball here, but if they get it right, the Model 3 could be a huge hit, and each following car as technology gets cheaper and economies of scale increase, the scales tip in their favor.

It remains to be seen RE the Model 3. I'll wait until the actual production model gets here and see if they fix the 'toast slot' trunk opening. And what the actual price is.

The scenario you spell out above certainly has it's appeal, but there are other factors involved; don't pretend there aren't.

A brand new Camry starts @ $21K; an Avalon, which should be a much nicer car, starts @ $32K. Which sells more???

I'll tell you: so far in '16 it's 37K Camrys to 4K Avalons.

@ $35K, the Camry & Tesla 3 aren't remotely in the same price tier. But my belief is the Model 3 will be substantially higher than $35K.

If Tesla doesn't make money on the Model 3, the company is going under. And if Tesla CAN make money on the 3, they need to GREATLY up their production schedules- Tesla has only built 12% of the Model X pre-order volume after 4 months of production. 

Edited by balthazar

I know the current (or proposed) Model 3 isn't the price of a Camry, I mean 10 years down the road.  Once the Gigafactory is up and running they will produce over 50% of the lithium ion batteries in the world.  That kind of scale along with technology improving will drive down the cost of the battery.   So what if the 2nd generation Model 3 is $25,000?  Then the consumer has a choice between a Tesla or a Camry/Accord type product for equal money, with the Tesla having better performance.  

The Model 3 is $35,000 base (which includes Autopilot) and expected to be $42,000 for the average car, since buyers will take options.  Then take $7500 off those numbers for tax credit.   I think the C-class, 3-series, A4, IS, ATS, etc are all going to take a sales hit.  Those 200,000 buyers are coming from somewhere.  Even if they are driving a Camry now, but buying a Tesla next time, that is still a lost potential sale for Toyota/Lexus.

Lots of hypothetical with the battery cost, I know, only time will tell how it will play out.   They need to be able to get production up to meet the demand as well.  If they can pull it off though, they could make a huge impact.

Has anyone ever seen any estimates as to the cost of the batteries alone vs. the rest of a Tesla vehicle?

Because this Gigafactory is all well & good, but how much will it effect the vehicle price?? Certainly NOT $10K worth.
Gigafactory batteries aren't going to be free, just cheaper.

The Model S battery pack is $10,000 for 60 kW and $12,000 for 85 kW. 

If they can get the battery and electric motor down to like $5,000 then you are getting close to cost of a gasoline engine/transmission, etc.  They have work to do, but as cost drops look out.  The higher trim Model 3 is expected to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds.  So that is Corvette level performance in a $50,000 sedan that seats 5 and has 2 trunks worth of storage space.

If GM put more effort to make their Bolt desirable, and build their brand they'd have the total production volume of the Bolt sold out.

But it's come out as just another compliance car, with derivative styling - such as the Honda Fit front end, Lexus RX rear pillar, so much more. The Bolt has 200 miles of range and nothing else to distinguish itself.

While the upcoming Nissan Leaf, an arguably much more well known electric car will push 300 miles of range. 

And the Model 3 - well, Tesla only needs to turn half of the pre-order deposits into sales to absorb all of the world's electric car sales. All of the world. And of course, their higher priced S and X Models get the wealthy buyers that provide them with excellent automotive margins.

And, Tesla has already put a path forward to profitability. But I don't understand the Income and Balance sheet scrutiny. By all means, Tesla has the entire ownership experience locked down as itself and its sister firms offer everything needed to create a product ecosystem.

And I don't see any big name automaker invest in America to make new facilities. And it's not like they can't even try. The same state incentives that Tesla took advantage of are easily available for other makes.

Again - the other automakers are inept. All of them. The only real competition for Tesla will come from Porsche, and their car is another 4 years away, using today's available technology.

I'n not a big fan of electric cars, but the Tesla is the only desirable electric car manufacturer. No one is even remotely close.  

• Agree 3

252,000 orders for the Model 3 now.  This for a car that hasn't had a single advertisement or tv commercial made for it.

I agree with Sauviloquent.  Most automakers are worried about selling trucks or whatever their cash cow is, they haven't thought about 10 years down the road.  I will say Mercedes is working on an electric car platform that will produce 2 sedans and 2 crossovers.  That is an area they need to steer money to, as it looks like the Model 3 will put a hurt on the C-class.

The thing is that the automakers are no longer just competing against each other for the prized award for best compliance car. No.

Right now, Tesla is still growing. Investing in such a capital intensive industry - NPV recovery doesn't happen in a mere 2, 3 years. It takes a good decade against the incumbents.

And inept incumbents that aren't fully committed are stupid competitors.

Like if the end goal is to make electric vehicles, why develop hybrids? Why waste money to bridge the gap, when you can make quantum leaps - everyone believes the incumbents can do so.

The Bolt will cannibalize sales from the Volt. 

But being able to materialize triple the intention of purchase within a fold of 2-3 days. That's unprecedented. Now Tesla has grabbed all of the market share that somehow GM was going to take. Or Ford was going to. Or Nissan had tried to in the very beginning. Stupid companies. All of them.