Buick News: 2016 Buick Envision to Start In the Low $40,000s

When the Buick Envision hits dealers in June, you'll only be able to get it in the two highest trims, along with a turbo engine and all-wheel drive. We first learned about this back at the Detroit Auto Show when speaking with a Buick representative and now we have more details.

According to Automotive News, the 2016 Envision will start at $42,995 for the Premium I trim and $45,635 for the Premium II trim. Both prices include destination. These models will feature a 2.0 turbocharged four-cylinder with 252 horsepower and all-wheel drive.

Now if those prices scare you, don't fret. The 2016 Envision will only be sold between June and October. After that, the 2017 Envision will arrive at dealers with an expanded lineup with three other trims. Prices for the 2017 model will begin at $34,990 for the base model. The base and other two trims - Preferred and Essence - will get a 2.5L four-cylinder with 197 horsepower. Expect a choice of front or all-wheel drive for these models.

We'll have more details when Buick officially announces Envision pricing hopefully in the near future.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

EXCITEMENT! :P Wish they would tell us what specifically is in Premium 1 trim versus Premium 2 trim.

I am excited for this to hit the dealers lots. I expect it to do well for Buick.

Update: Buick now has all the details on their web site.

Buick Envision 2016 Trims

Based on comparing the two trims, I would have to have the Premium 2 Package. I have to have my cooled seats, something that is not available in the Premium 1 package.

Even after looking at the 2017 trims that are also posted for the 3 lower trim levels, I would still only consider the Premium 2 package on this auto.

After pricing out a new Jaguar F Pace on line for like 45k, I scratch my head to figure who is gonna pony up for this, especially with its already past due styling, and Chinese build.

I have been showing this to coworkers who have come to me asking about AWD CUVs and I have to say this is being received very warmly. There is plenty of interest in these auto's and being built in China is not an issue it would seem.

After pricing out a new Jaguar F Pace on line for like 45k, I scratch my head to figure who is gonna pony up for this, especially with its already past due styling, and Chinese build.

The people who don't have Jag dealers near them...

Not the mention the people who don't want Jaguar maintenance after the warranty runs out.

• Agree 1

Not the mention the people who don't want Jaguar maintenance after the warranty runs out.

So true as the reliability of Jags is terrible. I would hate to have to pay for the repairs of these poor quality so called Luxury autos.

• Agree 1

That was number 2 on the reasons I wouldn't want a Jag but if I was buying brand new I wouldn't be overly concerned about that part. That's more what I, personally, would worry about as I'm more of a 2nd hand car purchaser where I probably won't have much, if any, warranty remaining. 

• Agree 1

A Lexus NX or Lincoln MKC is cheaper and a much better deal than the Envision.  And the Lexus NX is a Lexus, it has a real luxury badge on it.  And if people are shopping reliability, sadly Lexus is the best in that regard.   $45k for an Envision Premium 2?  You can get a Lexus RX for that money, and have a larger, roomier vehicle, with a V6, etc.

A Lexus NX or Lincoln MKC is cheaper and a much better deal than the Envision.  And the Lexus NX is a Lexus, it has a real luxury badge on it.  And if people are shopping reliability, sadly Lexus is the best in that regard.   $45k for an Envision Premium 2?  You can get a Lexus RX for that money, and have a larger, roomier vehicle, with a V6, etc.

. There you go again. Let me tell you something about the Lexus NX. It is a Fancy Toyota RAV4. Funny how you don't say anything about that but when it involves Cadillac, it is somehow a different story.

. There you go again. Let me tell you something about the Lexus NX. It is a Fancy Toyota RAV4. Funny how you don't say anything about that but when it involves Cadillac, it is somehow a different story.

We are talking about a Chinese built Buick SUV that has already been on market a few years and looks dated at launch, and they want Lexus money for it.  Yes the Lexus NX is a Rav4 underneath, but it is still a Lexus, which is better than any Buick, and a much more respected badge.  

I was comparing the Envision to NX and MKC because they are based on the Rav4 and Escape, and turbo 4, front drive crossovers.  Both the Lincoln and Lexus are nicer and I think look better and have a better brand image.  Would be unfair to compare those 2nd tier crossovers to the rear drive Germans.

• Agree 1

Normally I'd agree, but the Lexus NX beat the venerable BMW X3 in MT's recent comparison.

It may be a fancy RAV4 but it has the substance, and the Buick being a Chinese car - I'm okay with it, but no way hell would I consider it.

We are talking about a Chinese built Buick SUV that has already been on market a few years and looks dated at launch, and they want Lexus money for it.  Yes the Lexus NX is a Rav4 underneath, but it is still a Lexus, which is better than any Buick, and a much more respected badge.  

I was comparing the Envision to NX and MKC because they are based on the Rav4 and Escape, and turbo 4, front drive crossovers.  Both the Lincoln and Lexus are nicer and I think look better and have a better brand image.  Would be unfair to compare those 2nd tier crossovers to the rear drive Germans.

Bah, again, the Lexus NX beat the RWD X3 in a luxo crossover comparison. The Mercedes GLC is probably best in class, but it has yet to be compared against. 

For $33k base in the Lincoln MKC you get a turbo 4 making 240 hp and 270 lb-ft.  For $35k in the Lexus NX you get a 235 hp, 258 lb-ft turbo 4.  For that price in the Buick you get the 2.5 liter 4 making 197 hp and 192 lb-ft.   

• Agree 2

Yeah. The Buick is not really that good of a proposition anymore. I mean, there are options already that do quiet and soft. It is somewhat large for its segment.

And only in the top model you get the option of the better AWD system.

I think the Buick will do well regardless. 

I would go odd ball here and get a Mazda CX-5 and call it a day.

Buick Verano

Buick Encore

and now the Buick Envision....

Based on the last two made for Chinese market and sold here in North America a year later were actually big hits for Buick.

Yeah that's right!

The Verano in China called the Excelle was engineered for China....and so was the Opel Mokka/Buick Encore. (the Encore was also made for Europe in mind....but it is built in 2 Asian countries and in 1 European one...)

I think this latest Buick product will follow in the footsteps of the cars I just mentioned...which is sales success.

Ive got past history on my side....and that is what Im basing my opinion on...

Edited by oldshurst442

Normally I'd agree, but the Lexus NX beat the venerable BMW X3 in MT's recent comparison.

It may be a fancy RAV4 but it has the substance, and the Buick being a Chinese car - I'm okay with it, but no way hell would I consider it.

That really isn't saying much to me as the X3 has always been unremarkable.

You also missed the bigger point of why I said it in the first place. 

You keep telling yourself that. You'd be wrong but keep telling yourself that, especially when stating things like Lincoln having a better brand image here when you have completely dogged them out in every other way on every other thread about Lincoln. BTW, Buick has beaten Lexus in several comparos (see LaCrosse vs. ES350 for one example) so your "Lexus better than any Buick" remark is, as usual, pure hot air.

Edited by surreal1272

That was number 2 on the reasons I wouldn't want a Jag but if I was buying brand new I wouldn't be overly concerned about that part. That's more what I, personally, would worry about as I'm more of a 2nd hand car purchaser where I probably won't have much, if any, warranty remaining. 

right now i think you get a 6 yr warranty on Jags.  I'll check that.

I'd choose a Jag before a Chinese vehicle at 45-50k.  I'd have a lot more trust in that.

45k for 340 +/- hp supercharged v6, big ass moonroof, etc.  sure it may not be real leather at that price? but often GM's leather feels more like vinyl anyways.  This is a serious machine, not a next gen downsized Equinox

http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us_seatoff/f-pace_k17/3c3m9/a-30p-340aawd_a-crossover_jt0/b51d_jt1b-1_ner_z88d/jaguar.pdf

Edited by regfootball

I'd choose a Jag before a Chinese vehicle at 45-50k.  I'd have a lot more trust in that.

45k for 340 +/- hp supercharged v6, big ass moonroof, etc.  sure it may not be real leather at that price? but often GM's leather feels more like vinyl anyways.  This is a serious machine, not a next gen downsized Equinox

http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us_seatoff/f-pace_k17/3c3m9/a-30p-340aawd_a-crossover_jt0/b51d_jt1b-1_ner_z88d/jaguar.pdf

Yeah I just built a Jag F-Pace for $50,520 and the only thing I didn't add because it was 2k was the bi-xenon headlights but it came with parking sensors and crap I didn't really want and I didn't think 2k was worth it.  

6 years but how many miles? 

FYI This is how mine turned out. http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us_seatoff/f-pace_k17/3c3m9/a-30p-340aawd_a-crossover_jt1/b16d-f45c_c55r_f96j_h01ejet_hgy_jt1b-1_z93l1/jaguar.pdf

Yeah I just built a Jag F-Pace for $50,520 and the only thing I didn't add because it was 2k was the bi-xenon headlights but it came with parking sensors and crap I didn't really want and I didn't think 2k was worth it.  

FYI This is how mine turned out. http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us_seatoff/f-pace_k17/3c3m9/a-30p-340aawd_a-crossover_jt1/b16d-f45c_c55r_f96j_h01ejet_hgy_jt1b-1_z93l1/jaguar.pdf

It five years just like almost everyone else. Still would not have one.

It five years just like almost everyone else. Still would not have one.

If I'm buying brand new and I have warranty and if both dealers were within a reasonable distance(which they are not in my case..at all. The closest Jag dealer is probably an hour to an hour-15 away and a Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer is about 4 miles away.) I would take the sportier and much better looking(in my opinion) Jag. Which is also a lot more optionable as well. There are just more ways to order your F-Pace than there are an Envision. Aren't there only 2 trims to choose from and 1 engine and only AWD? I know the F-Pace is only had in AWD as well but they offer 3 engines and 5 trim packages.

I guess the biggest thing to me is the looks and the 340hp engine(middle engine) for 45k and one step up in package. It actually seems like a better deal to the enthusiast. Of course this is all dependent on their warranty because if for some reason there were no warranty or only like 5 years but 30,000 miles for some reason then it's a deal breaker because I would never trust a Jag outside of the warranty period. 

That's the thing. Jaguar has a very sparse dealer and parts network compared to Buick. Listen. I have always loved the look of most Jaguars but they are nightmares after the warranty runs out (and sometimes before it runs out), which is still a big deal for most folks. They are just piles of dung to me and I have seen nothing from them over the years that will change my opinion of them.

The Jaguar F-Pace is also going to offer a 550 HP supercharged V8 option, although I am sure at a steep price.

You can get a 310 HP V6 Cadillac XT5 cheaper than a 252 HP 4-cylinder Buick Envision. That is a no brainer. I think that GM thinks Buick is on par with Lincoln, Acura, And Lexus, but I don't see people paying $42k for a Buick crossover when the Lexus is actually cheaper.

• Agree 1

35k for 197hp.. Bargain of the year right there. Probably less tq too as it's a n/a 4cyl. 

I guess I'm finding it harder and harder to make a case to buy this thing.

Upon initial release I was pretty excited as a smaller premium CUV is kind of up my ally for a next vehicle but at 40k it is still a sub 200hp vehicle and I won't drive a vehicle that size with less than 200hp and 200tq. I'm just not finding anything that makes me want it over the competition. 

• Agree 1

The Buick Envision will sell to those that see Cadillac as too expensive and an old persons auto. They want a family luxury CUV and this fits that image. I can see families buying this rather than a Cadillac.

35k for 197hp.. Bargain of the year right there. Probably less tq too as it's a n/a 4cyl. 

Upon initial release I was pretty excited as a smaller premium CUV is kind of up my ally for a next vehicle but at 40k it is still a sub 200hp vehicle and I won't drive a vehicle that size with less than 200hp and 200tq. I'm just not finding anything that makes me want it over the competition.

I doubt though that anyone is cross shopping a Buick with a Jaguar, with a few exceptions of course. This is aimed at Acura, Lexus, and Lincoln.

I doubt though that anyone is cross shopping a Buick with a Jaguar, with a few exceptions of course. This is aimed at Acura, Lexus, and Lincoln.

You are absolutely correct. But does that make the Buick overpriced or the Jag a bargain ? (excluding their reliability because we agree that is an issue - out of warranty)

You are absolutely correct. But does that make the Buick overpriced or the Jag a bargain ? (excluding their reliability because we agree that is an issue - out of warranty)[/quote

I won't get into all that because I think most cars are overpriced these days. I agree that the motor is small for that price but most non-enthusiast buyers don't care and probably won't even notice such things as long as it does what they need it to do.

Oh just gag me with the base 2.5.... it doesn't belong in the ATS and it doesn't belong here.

Use the 1.6T, it has the same total horsepower with a much more agreeable torque curve.  Probably would beat the 2.5 on MPGs too....

110% agree. 

I don't know why they're using it in their premium applications. I would also have to believe that they'd get better emissions(score/rating ?) out of the smaller turbo engine as well.

Also, how ya been Drew??? I feel like I haven't heard from you in awhile? Busy at work, I assume? 

You are absolutely correct. But does that make the Buick overpriced or the Jag a bargain ? (excluding their reliability because we agree that is an issue - out of warranty)

I won't get into all that because I think most cars are overpriced these days. I agree that the motor is small for that price but most non-enthusiast buyers don't care and probably won't even notice such things as long as it does what they need it to do.

lol I agree with everything being overpriced. 

Will 197hp be enough though? I mean this isn't a smaller, lighter CX-5. The premium-ness will add some weight as well. I really agree with Drew that they should have put something smaller and turbo'd in there to give the illusion of power by having a stout torque curve.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 2

The Buick Envision will sell to those that see Cadillac as too expensive and an old persons auto. They want a family luxury CUV and this fits that image. I can see families buying this rather than a Cadillac.

I think if people see Cadillac as an old person's car they will have the same opinion of Buick.   The Envision is smaller than an Equinox, it is has the same length and width as a Verano, so it isn't really family sized either.  

You can also get a 310 hp mid-size Cadillac XT5 for less money than a 197 hp small sized Buick Envision.   And your car won't be made in China.

The Encore starts around $24k, I thought the Envision was a good idea with a base price around $28k, more money than a Ford Escape, less than a Lincoln MKC.

• Agree 1

The Acura RDX is the same size as the Envision and has a base 279 hp V6 with 252 lb-ft  and for $35,370.    Plus is has VTEC yo!

How in the world is Buick charging $35k for a 197 hp 4-cylinder?  If anything the 2.0T should be the base engine at $34k, forget the 1.6T unless that is in the $28,995 price point this car should start at.

Edited by smk4565
  • Agree 1

I never thought I'd agree with SMK - but if CADILLAC is thought as too expensive and and old persons auto - holy $h! the Buick will definitely be perceived as an old persons auto.

That really isn't saying much to me as the X3 has always been unremarkable.

You also missed the bigger point of why I said it in the first place. 

The X3 has been very praised... it's only flaw is that recently the options sheet has swelled, and as time has worn on, others present greater values.

Otherwise, it's just as fuel-efficient, but faster than its competitors.

The Buick is definitely a premium vehicle and it goes against Lexus and Lincoln, Acura and the rest.

What makes the Buick so premium though?  It has an engine you'd find in a CR-V or Rav4.  The RDX has a 279 hp V6, the Lexus NX and Lincoln MKC have turbo 4's standard.  For the premium price over the Honda/Toyota/Ford you get a noticeable engine upgrade.  I wouldn't say the Envision has a better interior than any of those 3 vehicles either, and the Buick is made in China, vs American made Lincoln and Acura, and Japanese for Lexus, so they don't win the country of origin image award either.

I think the Buick Envision is needed, crossovers are hot, but they way over priced it.   The Envision is priced $14,000 above the Verano, and is the same size vehicle with basically the same engines, 2.4 liter vs 2.5 liter the only difference.  

Er... Buick brand is premium(er) than Chevy.

We'll have to see how the car does. I don't like it. I think it's a piss poor value, engine'd wrong, and made in the wrong country - but if some Buick person can rationalize it, sure, why not?

It's not that much of a stretch though to get into an Enclave at those price points.

Which leads me to believe they'll make the next Enclave approach Escalade pricing fully loaded.

Hot damn...

Making MONEY!!