William Maley

Chevrolet News:2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel To Begin At $24,670

As a number of manufacturers are running away from diesel (and who can blame them), Chevrolet is running towards it with the introduction of the Cruze Diesel early next year. Now Chevrolet has announced pricing for the diesel variant.

The Cruze Diesel will begin at $24,670 for the six-speed manual and $26,270 for the nine-speed automatic. Like the previous Cruze Diesel, the new model will only be available in the LT trim which nets you LED daytime running lights, seven-inch infotainment system, and six-speaker audio system. The diesel will also get the optional Convenience package as standard - keyless entry, push-button start, power driver's seat, and heat for the front seats. 

In terms of options, a leather package for $1,125 is available for both transmissions. The automatic also gets the option of the Sun/Sound/Confidence package. The 'too many words for a name' package adds a Bose nine-speaker audio system, an 8-inch infotainment system, a color screen for the trip computer, power sunroof, blind-spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, and rear cross-traffic alert. This package adds $3,680.

It should be noted this pricing is for the sedan. The Cruze Diesel hatchback isn't due till 2018.

Source: Car and Driver, Roadshow
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

Ohhhh, i wonder if they will grab a lot of ex VW diesel owners?  I have to admit, a manual diesel hatch really has me thinking......

• Upvote 1

Took today off work (use it or lose it by end of the yerr) so I went and had a recall done on my truck (HVAC system).  Very cold and windy day, but I ventured out to look at a sharp little LT/RS hatch in Kinetic Blue with Convenience and Sun & Sound packages.  Real nice little automobile.

Now we have the concrete possibility of diesel power, which puts me in blissful territory... I really wish they could get the Mexican plant up to speed sooner than 2018 for the hatch diesel.

Edited by ocnblu

6 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

26K to start w/ an auto?? Ouch.

I don't see this finding many buyers.

Tough to say....market could get interesting...gas prices are bound to go back up.

Also get the feeling there will be some rebates for it to get it going.....

Price is kinda high, though...

Ugh.. I HATE that they force you into such a high trim on this. I mean, likely, that's what I would want but it sucks for those who just want a cheap commuter with insane mileage. 26k is nuts, IMO. 

@Frisky Dingo do you know what the Jetta TDI started at? 

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Ugh.. I HATE that they force you into such a high trim on this. I mean, likely, that's what I would want but it sucks for those who just want a cheap commuter with insane mileage. 26k is nuts, IMO. 

@Frisky Dingo do you know what the Jetta TDI started at? 

$22,460 for the base S TDI

One is hopeful that GM studies the market as well as the take rate on their product, as they price it.  $25K is a bit high for a compact, but then again, there are few other options, so they have an advantage.  But obviously, the premium content is to justify Diesel cost.  They throw in premium features at minimal cost to GM.  

Anyone know the take rate on Diesel Cruze?

5 hours ago, William Maley said:

Thanks! 

Makes me wonder what trim my buddy has because I doubt he got anything fancy as it still has cloth seats and I don't believe the nav screen either. I'd think a good amount of hear buyers we close to the base trim with a package or small things added. 

I hope GM does well with this but the prices seem a little steep for entry. 

5 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

$25K is a bit high for a compact

I believe it is one of 2-3 in this class that is technically a "mid-size" with how much it has grown. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Thanks! 

Makes me wonder what trim my buddy has because I doubt he got anything fancy as it still has cloth seats and I don't believe the nav screen either. I'd think a good amount of hear buyers we close to the base trim with a package or small things added. 

I hope GM does well with this but the prices seem a little steep for entry. 

I believe it is one of 2-3 in this class that is technically a "mid-size" with how much it has grown. 

Cruze is far from a mid.

Unless they moved the goal posts on what defines a mid these days.  I had a Cutlass Supreme with a V8 that was considered mid once.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

26K to start w/ an auto?? Ouch.

I don't see this finding many buyers.

please refer to recent thread about smart car spending and the discussion of MSRP's going through the roof.  It's true, 26k for a CRUZE? (even if it's a diesel).........

And about the time one gets a Cruze diesel, somehow magically, diesel will shoot up to 5 bucks a gallon.....

I have to admit though I am really curious to see how these turn out...

14 hours ago, William Maley said:

that include huge EPA fines?  LOL

$26,300 for a Malibu diesel sounds better.  $26k for  a Cruze seems a bit steep. Most won't buy this, not only are the gas models way cheaper but they are always discounted too.

People who buy compact cars usually are looking for frugality. That's why the Corolla and to a lesser extent, the Civic dominate. 

I appreciate the gesture, but this is one expensive compact car. That's too bad. They have to make money, but they'll just start offering rebates for the year-end of 2017, for 2018 models. I'd wait until then. But there's plenty of car that you can get for around $25k realistically buy and still get a lot of fuel for, before you get the diesel.

They keep making the cars bigger though, which makes the price creep somewhat explanable.

But really, a Sonic sedan for example, has good enough packaging to have been like a compact form like 12-15 years ago.

I can't believe how reasonably priced the Civic hatch is versus the Cruze hatch.  Shoot, the Sport is less than $22k to start, and it has 22 cu ft of trunk space with the seat up... the LX has even more space, with a lower level sound system.

I took off work tomorrow and I have half a notion to go drive some vehicles.

2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

Hard to take that list seriously when the Chevy Sonic and Dodge Challenger are both on it. 

I know what you mean but one is a hatch and one is a coupe and I presume they're looking at interior volume. 

I just know I was reading a "compact" comparison but I'm not sure which one and it said that it was one of 2 or 3 that had technically crept into the mid size sedan interior volume. 

Ill continue to look for it. It was only a couple months ago. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. gerardo
      gerardo
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There are some vehicles that leave you scratching your head, wondering why is anyone buying them. A perfect example is the previous-generation Jeep Compass. The model had a long list of negatives ranging from a very cheap interior to powertrains that could be beaten by a snail. But a number of folks bought the Compass and its sister car, the Patriot, in droves. It offered the looks and the image of owning a Jeep vehicle without the downsides of owning something that provided a rough ride or was too expensive. 
      Almost a decade later, we have the new Compass which hopes to right the wrongs of the previous model. We spent a week in the Limited trim to see if Jeep was able to.
      First impressions seem promising when it comes to the exterior. There is a lot of Grand Cherokee in the Compass’ shape with similar profiles, angled front end, and rear tailgate. Our Limited tester came with 18-inch aluminum wheels and two-tone paint that helps make the model pop. Compared to the last Compass, the new model is slightly shorter (173.2 vs. 175.1-inches).
      A big complaint about the Compass/Patriot was their interiors. It was easy to tell they were built to the lowest cost possible with cheap plastics, a short list of standard features, and odd design decisions. The new Compass thankfully fixes many of those mistakes. Step inside and it becomes quite clear that Jeep focused on making the Compass a special place to be in. Again, there is a lot of Grand Cherokee influence with a similar dash design and the extensive use of soft-touch materials. We like the contrasting trim pieces around the vents that help make the interior not feel as dark. One thing we’re not so keen on is the low placement of HVAC and audio controls in the center stack. It is a bit of reach to adjust the temperature or change the volume.
      In terms of seating, you feel that you’re sitting on top of the Compass, not inside it. This is due to Jeep raising the seats to provide the high-riding experience of an SUV. The front seats provide decent support for long trips and optional power adjustments make it easier to find the right position. In the back, there is plenty of legroom for those over 6-feet. Headroom is tight for taller passengers if you get the optional panoramic sunroof. Cargo space measures out to 27 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 61 cubic feet folded.
      Our test Compass came with the 8.4-inch UConnect system. Recently updated for the 2018 model year, the system features an updated interface and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Unlike other FCA vehicles equipped with UConnect, the system in the Compass was problematic. For starters, the system had trouble trying to pair an iPhone 7 Plus via Bluetooth. The system would try to connect to the phone for about 30 seconds and then give up. On the third attempt, UConnect froze and I had to shut off the vehicle and walk away for a minute before the system turned off. After doing some troubleshooting, I realized that I had too many UConnect pairings on my phone and deleted them all. After this, the system was able to connect to connect to my phone with no issues. Yes, this is only a problem to those of us who review a number of new cars. But other problems with this system would pop up such as the system taking a few moments to bring up certain functions, being unable to find my iPod or iPhone when plugged in, and the system crashing when I was trying to bring up navigation. I believe these most of these issues are isolated to this vehicle, but it doesn’t leave a good impression with the new version of UConnect.
      There is only one engine available for the Compass, a 2.4L four-cylinder with 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque. Our Limited came equipped with a nine-speed automatic and all-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive models have the choice between a six-speed manual or automatic. This engine has been a weak point in many Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ vehicles we have driven and the Compass is no exception. Acceleration is very anemic as the engine takes its sweet time to get up to speed. The engine is also very noisy when accelerating but thankfully quiets down when cruising at a steady speed. The nine-speed automatic is well-behaved for the most part as it smoothly and quickly upshifts to help boost fuel economy. There is some hesitation when it comes to downshifting. 
      Fuel economy is not a strong suit for the Compass. EPA ratings for the nine-speed and AWD combination stands at 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. Our average for the week landed at 23 MPG.
      The tall height may hint that the Compass is a bit of handful when cornering, but the model is surprisingly agile. There is some lean when cornering, but the Compass feels planted and controlled. The steering feels nicely weighted and responds quickly to inputs. In terms of the ride, the Compass’ suspension is able to smooth over most bumps with no issue. We sadly didn’t get the chance to try the Compass’ off-road capability. AWD models come with Jeep’s Selec-Terrain system that offers four different driving modes that alter various settings. Those who have taken the Compass off the beaten path say it is surprisingly capable.
      The second-generation Jeep Compass is worlds better than the original model. A lot of the changes made to this model have been for the better with a sharp-looking exterior, pleasant interior, and surprising driving dynamics. But there are two issues that hold the Compass back from reaching greatness. First is the 2.4 four-cylinder engine which feels sluggish and fuel economy is somewhat poor. FCA really needs to come up with a replacement for the 2.4 ASAP. Second is the price. The Compass Limited starts at $28,995 and our as-tested price came to $34,955. This makes a bit of a poor value, especially when the Hyundai Tucson Limited we reviewed a few weeks ago was only $300 more. Given the choice, we would pick the Hyundai.
      Despite the changes made by the Jeep, the Compass is relegated to mid-pack. If they can get a new engine and work on the value argument, then the Compass could be a real threat.
      Disclaimer: Jeep Provided the Compass, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Compass
      Trim: Limited 4X4
      Engine: 2.4L MultiAir 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Nine-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 180 @ 6,400
      Torque @ RPM: 175 @ 3,900
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,327 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toluca, Mexico
      Base Price: $28,995
      As Tested Price: $34,955 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      19" x 7.5" Polished Black Pocket Aluminum Wheels - $895.00
      Advanced Safety & Lighting Group - $895.00
      Navigation Group - $895.00
      Safety and Security Group - $745.00
      Beats Premium Audio System - $695.00
      Power Liftgate - $495.00
      Compact Spare Tire - $245.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There are some vehicles that leave you scratching your head, wondering why is anyone buying them. A perfect example is the previous-generation Jeep Compass. The model had a long list of negatives ranging from a very cheap interior to powertrains that could be beaten by a snail. But a number of folks bought the Compass and its sister car, the Patriot, in droves. It offered the looks and the image of owning a Jeep vehicle without the downsides of owning something that provided a rough ride or was too expensive. 
      Almost a decade later, we have the new Compass which hopes to right the wrongs of the previous model. We spent a week in the Limited trim to see if Jeep was able to.
      First impressions seem promising when it comes to the exterior. There is a lot of Grand Cherokee in the Compass’ shape with similar profiles, angled front end, and rear tailgate. Our Limited tester came with 18-inch aluminum wheels and two-tone paint that helps make the model pop. Compared to the last Compass, the new model is slightly shorter (173.2 vs. 175.1-inches).
      A big complaint about the Compass/Patriot was their interiors. It was easy to tell they were built to the lowest cost possible with cheap plastics, a short list of standard features, and odd design decisions. The new Compass thankfully fixes many of those mistakes. Step inside and it becomes quite clear that Jeep focused on making the Compass a special place to be in. Again, there is a lot of Grand Cherokee influence with a similar dash design and the extensive use of soft-touch materials. We like the contrasting trim pieces around the vents that help make the interior not feel as dark. One thing we’re not so keen on is the low placement of HVAC and audio controls in the center stack. It is a bit of reach to adjust the temperature or change the volume.
      In terms of seating, you feel that you’re sitting on top of the Compass, not inside it. This is due to Jeep raising the seats to provide the high-riding experience of an SUV. The front seats provide decent support for long trips and optional power adjustments make it easier to find the right position. In the back, there is plenty of legroom for those over 6-feet. Headroom is tight for taller passengers if you get the optional panoramic sunroof. Cargo space measures out to 27 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 61 cubic feet folded.
      Our test Compass came with the 8.4-inch UConnect system. Recently updated for the 2018 model year, the system features an updated interface and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Unlike other FCA vehicles equipped with UConnect, the system in the Compass was problematic. For starters, the system had trouble trying to pair an iPhone 7 Plus via Bluetooth. The system would try to connect to the phone for about 30 seconds and then give up. On the third attempt, UConnect froze and I had to shut off the vehicle and walk away for a minute before the system turned off. After doing some troubleshooting, I realized that I had too many UConnect pairings on my phone and deleted them all. After this, the system was able to connect to connect to my phone with no issues. Yes, this is only a problem to those of us who review a number of new cars. But other problems with this system would pop up such as the system taking a few moments to bring up certain functions, being unable to find my iPod or iPhone when plugged in, and the system crashing when I was trying to bring up navigation. I believe these most of these issues are isolated to this vehicle, but it doesn’t leave a good impression with the new version of UConnect.
      There is only one engine available for the Compass, a 2.4L four-cylinder with 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque. Our Limited came equipped with a nine-speed automatic and all-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive models have the choice between a six-speed manual or automatic. This engine has been a weak point in many Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ vehicles we have driven and the Compass is no exception. Acceleration is very anemic as the engine takes its sweet time to get up to speed. The engine is also very noisy when accelerating but thankfully quiets down when cruising at a steady speed. The nine-speed automatic is well-behaved for the most part as it smoothly and quickly upshifts to help boost fuel economy. There is some hesitation when it comes to downshifting. 
      Fuel economy is not a strong suit for the Compass. EPA ratings for the nine-speed and AWD combination stands at 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. Our average for the week landed at 23 MPG.
      The tall height may hint that the Compass is a bit of handful when cornering, but the model is surprisingly agile. There is some lean when cornering, but the Compass feels planted and controlled. The steering feels nicely weighted and responds quickly to inputs. In terms of the ride, the Compass’ suspension is able to smooth over most bumps with no issue. We sadly didn’t get the chance to try the Compass’ off-road capability. AWD models come with Jeep’s Selec-Terrain system that offers four different driving modes that alter various settings. Those who have taken the Compass off the beaten path say it is surprisingly capable.
      The second-generation Jeep Compass is worlds better than the original model. A lot of the changes made to this model have been for the better with a sharp-looking exterior, pleasant interior, and surprising driving dynamics. But there are two issues that hold the Compass back from reaching greatness. First is the 2.4 four-cylinder engine which feels sluggish and fuel economy is somewhat poor. FCA really needs to come up with a replacement for the 2.4 ASAP. Second is the price. The Compass Limited starts at $28,995 and our as-tested price came to $34,955. This makes a bit of a poor value, especially when the Hyundai Tucson Limited we reviewed a few weeks ago was only $300 more. Given the choice, we would pick the Hyundai.
      Despite the changes made by the Jeep, the Compass is relegated to mid-pack. If they can get a new engine and work on the value argument, then the Compass could be a real threat.
      Disclaimer: Jeep Provided the Compass, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Compass
      Trim: Limited 4X4
      Engine: 2.4L MultiAir 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Nine-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 180 @ 6,400
      Torque @ RPM: 175 @ 3,900
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,327 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toluca, Mexico
      Base Price: $28,995
      As Tested Price: $34,955 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      19" x 7.5" Polished Black Pocket Aluminum Wheels - $895.00
      Advanced Safety & Lighting Group - $895.00
      Navigation Group - $895.00
      Safety and Security Group - $745.00
      Beats Premium Audio System - $695.00
      Power Liftgate - $495.00
      Compact Spare Tire - $245.00
    • By William Maley
      After countless months of speculation, spy photos, and someone leaking out the cover of this month's Car and Driver, Chevrolet has revealed the 2019 Corvette ZR1. This is the maddest Corvette that Chevrolet has ever built.
      Beginning under the hood, the ZR1 packs an LT5 V8 engine. While carrying the same name as the engine found in the original ZR-1, the new ZR1 skips the dual-overhead cams found in the original LT5. Instead, Corvette engineers took the supercharged 6.2L V8 found in the Z06 and installed a larger Eaton supercharger that pumps in 52 percent more air into the engine. The LT5 also features direct and port fuel injection, upgraded crankshaft, dry sump lubrication, and a 4-inch throttle body (the largest ever fitted to a Corvette). The end result is action with 755 horsepower and 715 pound-feet of torque. Chevrolet is keeping quiet the 0-60 mph time, but did say the ZR1 can reach a top speed of 210 mph.
      Like the Z06, the ZR1 will be available with the choice of a seven-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. According to a report from Automobile, engineers tried to fit GM's new ten-speed automatic into the ZR1 but couldn't due to packaging issues with the Corvette's architecture.
      Polarizing is the best way to describe the Corvette ZR1's styling, especially in the front with large air ducts. This is to help maximize cooling with each duct featuring a radiator and intercooler. The front fenders are slightly wider to make space for wider tires. Unlike the previous ZR1 with a window on the hood showing off the supercharger assembly, the new model makes do with a carbon fiber “halo” hood featuring vents and a shaker piece covering the supercharger.
      The ZR1 shown in the photos provided by Chevrolet features the optional ZTK performance package which comes with an adjustable high-wing kit, front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and special tuning for the chassis and magnetic ride control system. The large rear wing is said to provide 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the optional Z07 package. The standard ZR1 sticks with a fixed, low wing that is said to deliver the highest top speed.
      Those wanting to stand out further with their ZR1 can order the Sebring Orange Design Package. It includes a Sebring Orange Tintcoat for the exterior, brake calipers finished in orange, rocker panels and splitter featuring orange stripes; orange seatbelts and stitching for the interior; and bronze aluminum trim.
      The Corvette ZR1 arrives at dealers next spring. No word on pricing, but we wouldn't be shocked if it begins over $100,000.
      Source: Chevrolet
      Press Release is on Page 2

2019 CORVETTE ZR1: RETURN OF THE KING
      The fastest, most powerful production Corvette ever retakes its supercar crown DUBAI — The King is returning, stronger than ever.
      Chevrolet today introduced the 2019 Corvette ZR1, a supercar that pushes Corvette’s performance legacy with the highest power, greatest track performance and most advanced technology in its production history.
      “I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”
      The Corvette ZR1’s exclusive LT5 supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm), is establishing a new benchmark in performance. Further, the ZR1 elevates Corvette’s track capability with two wind tunnel-honed aerodynamics packages, including an available High Wing that provides an estimated 950 pounds of downforce.
      Most powerful ever
      The ZR1’s LT5 6.2L V-8 engine advances Corvette’s supercharging legacy, which began with the 2009 sixth-generation ZR1 and continued with the 2015 seventh-generation Z06. The LT5 delivers the highest output ever for a Chevrolet production vehicle, thanks in part to a new, more-efficient intercooled supercharger system that offers 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. GM’s first dual-fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection, helps the LT5 achieve its record output.
      Seven-speed manual and eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with the LT5. It’s the first time an automatic transmission has been offered in a ZR1.
      Fastest ever
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1’s aggressive appearance is driven by function, contributing to its distinction as the fastest production Corvette to date.
      An all-new front fascia is designed to channel air for propulsion-system and drivetrain cooling, with four new radiators bringing the heat-exchanger total to 13. A special carbon-fiber “halo” hood is open in the middle to clear the LT5 engine’s supercharger/intercooler assembly. Additional features, including aero packages with stanchion-mounted wings, help push the ZR1 harder onto the track for more confident handling and faster lap times. Top speed of the ZR1 is over 210 mph.
      “As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.”
      The ZR1 will offer two aero packages: a standard rear Low Wing, which delivers the highest top speed and helps generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and an available two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on the track for the quickest lap times — about 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also feature a Chevrolet-first, downforce-enhancing front underwing.
      The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip.
      Both of the ZR1’s wings are tied into the chassis, like the Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.
      Sebring Orange Design Package
      The Corvette ZR1 introduced today also debuted a dynamic, available Sebring Orange Design Package. Centered on its Sebring Orange Tintcoat exterior color, the package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.
      The new design package complements the Corvette ZR1’s tradition of offering maximum performance with refinement and design distinction. The driver-focused, well-appointed cockpit includes standard leather-trimmed seats, with sueded microfiber inserts offered. Heated and vented Napa leather-trimmed seating is also available, as well as a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel, competition sport seats, Performance Data Recorder, Bose premium audio system and more.
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1 goes on sale next spring, poised to take on the world’s best.
      It’s good to be the King.
    • By William Maley
      After countless months of speculation, spy photos, and someone leaking out the cover of this month's Car and Driver, Chevrolet has revealed the 2019 Corvette ZR1. This is the maddest Corvette that Chevrolet has ever built.
      Beginning under the hood, the ZR1 packs an LT5 V8 engine. While carrying the same name as the engine found in the original ZR-1, the new ZR1 skips the dual-overhead cams found in the original LT5. Instead, Corvette engineers took the supercharged 6.2L V8 found in the Z06 and installed a larger Eaton supercharger that pumps in 52 percent more air into the engine. The LT5 also features direct and port fuel injection, upgraded crankshaft, dry sump lubrication, and a 4-inch throttle body (the largest ever fitted to a Corvette). The end result is action with 755 horsepower and 715 pound-feet of torque. Chevrolet is keeping quiet the 0-60 mph time, but did say the ZR1 can reach a top speed of 210 mph.
      Like the Z06, the ZR1 will be available with the choice of a seven-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. According to a report from Automobile, engineers tried to fit GM's new ten-speed automatic into the ZR1 but couldn't due to packaging issues with the Corvette's architecture.
      Polarizing is the best way to describe the Corvette ZR1's styling, especially in the front with large air ducts. This is to help maximize cooling with each duct featuring a radiator and intercooler. The front fenders are slightly wider to make space for wider tires. Unlike the previous ZR1 with a window on the hood showing off the supercharger assembly, the new model makes do with a carbon fiber “halo” hood featuring vents and a shaker piece covering the supercharger.
      The ZR1 shown in the photos provided by Chevrolet features the optional ZTK performance package which comes with an adjustable high-wing kit, front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and special tuning for the chassis and magnetic ride control system. The large rear wing is said to provide 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the optional Z07 package. The standard ZR1 sticks with a fixed, low wing that is said to deliver the highest top speed.
      Those wanting to stand out further with their ZR1 can order the Sebring Orange Design Package. It includes a Sebring Orange Tintcoat for the exterior, brake calipers finished in orange, rocker panels and splitter featuring orange stripes; orange seatbelts and stitching for the interior; and bronze aluminum trim.
      The Corvette ZR1 arrives at dealers next spring. No word on pricing, but we wouldn't be shocked if it begins over $100,000.
      Source: Chevrolet
      Press Release is on Page 2

2019 CORVETTE ZR1: RETURN OF THE KING
      The fastest, most powerful production Corvette ever retakes its supercar crown DUBAI — The King is returning, stronger than ever.
      Chevrolet today introduced the 2019 Corvette ZR1, a supercar that pushes Corvette’s performance legacy with the highest power, greatest track performance and most advanced technology in its production history.
      “I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”
      The Corvette ZR1’s exclusive LT5 supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm), is establishing a new benchmark in performance. Further, the ZR1 elevates Corvette’s track capability with two wind tunnel-honed aerodynamics packages, including an available High Wing that provides an estimated 950 pounds of downforce.
      Most powerful ever
      The ZR1’s LT5 6.2L V-8 engine advances Corvette’s supercharging legacy, which began with the 2009 sixth-generation ZR1 and continued with the 2015 seventh-generation Z06. The LT5 delivers the highest output ever for a Chevrolet production vehicle, thanks in part to a new, more-efficient intercooled supercharger system that offers 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. GM’s first dual-fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection, helps the LT5 achieve its record output.
      Seven-speed manual and eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with the LT5. It’s the first time an automatic transmission has been offered in a ZR1.
      Fastest ever
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1’s aggressive appearance is driven by function, contributing to its distinction as the fastest production Corvette to date.
      An all-new front fascia is designed to channel air for propulsion-system and drivetrain cooling, with four new radiators bringing the heat-exchanger total to 13. A special carbon-fiber “halo” hood is open in the middle to clear the LT5 engine’s supercharger/intercooler assembly. Additional features, including aero packages with stanchion-mounted wings, help push the ZR1 harder onto the track for more confident handling and faster lap times. Top speed of the ZR1 is over 210 mph.
      “As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.”
      The ZR1 will offer two aero packages: a standard rear Low Wing, which delivers the highest top speed and helps generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and an available two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on the track for the quickest lap times — about 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also feature a Chevrolet-first, downforce-enhancing front underwing.
      The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip.
      Both of the ZR1’s wings are tied into the chassis, like the Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.
      Sebring Orange Design Package
      The Corvette ZR1 introduced today also debuted a dynamic, available Sebring Orange Design Package. Centered on its Sebring Orange Tintcoat exterior color, the package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.
      The new design package complements the Corvette ZR1’s tradition of offering maximum performance with refinement and design distinction. The driver-focused, well-appointed cockpit includes standard leather-trimmed seats, with sueded microfiber inserts offered. Heated and vented Napa leather-trimmed seating is also available, as well as a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel, competition sport seats, Performance Data Recorder, Bose premium audio system and more.
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1 goes on sale next spring, poised to take on the world’s best.
      It’s good to be the King.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It is no secret that Chevrolet will be debuting a new Corvette ZR1. Numerous spy shots have revealed Chevrolet is going all out with a large rear wing, larger intakes, and distinctly shaped hood. We now have gotten our first look at the new ZR1 thanks to a leak.
      Corvette Blogger got their hands on a leaked image of Car and Driver's December issue which has the Corvette ZR1 front and center. The model matches up perfectly with spy photos with the various aero bits and large air intakes. The cover also reveals the ZR1 will be packing 750 horsepower, but we don't know what engine will be providing that power (our guess is a supercharged V8).
      Corvette Blogger also revealed that the ZR1 will likely debut in Dubai. A reader living in the UAE sent Corvette Blogger an invitation for a special celebratory event to mark the Corvette's 65th birthday on November 12th. A couple of outlets have confirmed this event by saying they will be going.
      After the cover leaked out, Chevrolet released a teaser video of the new Corvette with the November 12th date.
      Source: CorvetteBlogger, Chevrolet
      (Author's Note: At the time of this writing, CorvetteBlogger is currently down. We'll keep you posted when it goes back up).

• My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook