William Maley

Chevrolet News:2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel To Begin At $24,670

21 posts in this topic

William Maley    406

As a number of manufacturers are running away from diesel (and who can blame them), Chevrolet is running towards it with the introduction of the Cruze Diesel early next year. Now Chevrolet has announced pricing for the diesel variant.

The Cruze Diesel will begin at $24,670 for the six-speed manual and $26,270 for the nine-speed automatic. Like the previous Cruze Diesel, the new model will only be available in the LT trim which nets you LED daytime running lights, seven-inch infotainment system, and six-speaker audio system. The diesel will also get the optional Convenience package as standard - keyless entry, push-button start, power driver's seat, and heat for the front seats. 

In terms of options, a leather package for $1,125 is available for both transmissions. The automatic also gets the option of the Sun/Sound/Confidence package. The 'too many words for a name' package adds a Bose nine-speaker audio system, an 8-inch infotainment system, a color screen for the trip computer, power sunroof, blind-spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, and rear cross-traffic alert. This package adds $3,680.

It should be noted this pricing is for the sedan. The Cruze Diesel hatchback isn't due till 2018.

Source: Car and Driver, Roadshow
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

Stew    352

Ohhhh, i wonder if they will grab a lot of ex VW diesel owners?  I have to admit, a manual diesel hatch really has me thinking......

• Upvote 1

ocnblu    776

Took today off work (use it or lose it by end of the yerr) so I went and had a recall done on my truck (HVAC system).  Very cold and windy day, but I ventured out to look at a sharp little LT/RS hatch in Kinetic Blue with Convenience and Sun & Sound packages.  Real nice little automobile.

Now we have the concrete possibility of diesel power, which puts me in blissful territory... I really wish they could get the Mexican plant up to speed sooner than 2018 for the hatch diesel.

Edited by ocnblu

daves87rs    349
6 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

26K to start w/ an auto?? Ouch.

I don't see this finding many buyers.

Tough to say....market could get interesting...gas prices are bound to go back up.

Also get the feeling there will be some rebates for it to get it going.....

Price is kinda high, though...

ccap41    1,235

Ugh.. I HATE that they force you into such a high trim on this. I mean, likely, that's what I would want but it sucks for those who just want a cheap commuter with insane mileage. 26k is nuts, IMO. 

@Frisky Dingo do you know what the Jetta TDI started at? 

William Maley    406
5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Ugh.. I HATE that they force you into such a high trim on this. I mean, likely, that's what I would want but it sucks for those who just want a cheap commuter with insane mileage. 26k is nuts, IMO. 

@Frisky Dingo do you know what the Jetta TDI started at? 

$22,460 for the base S TDI

Wings4Life(BANNED)    1,000,000

One is hopeful that GM studies the market as well as the take rate on their product, as they price it.  $25K is a bit high for a compact, but then again, there are few other options, so they have an advantage.  But obviously, the premium content is to justify Diesel cost.  They throw in premium features at minimal cost to GM.  

Anyone know the take rate on Diesel Cruze?

ccap41    1,235
5 hours ago, William Maley said:

Thanks! 

Makes me wonder what trim my buddy has because I doubt he got anything fancy as it still has cloth seats and I don't believe the nav screen either. I'd think a good amount of hear buyers we close to the base trim with a package or small things added. 

I hope GM does well with this but the prices seem a little steep for entry. 

5 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

$25K is a bit high for a compact

I believe it is one of 2-3 in this class that is technically a "mid-size" with how much it has grown. 

Wings4Life(BANNED)    1,000,000
8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Thanks! 

Makes me wonder what trim my buddy has because I doubt he got anything fancy as it still has cloth seats and I don't believe the nav screen either. I'd think a good amount of hear buyers we close to the base trim with a package or small things added. 

I hope GM does well with this but the prices seem a little steep for entry. 

I believe it is one of 2-3 in this class that is technically a "mid-size" with how much it has grown. 

Cruze is far from a mid.

Unless they moved the goal posts on what defines a mid these days.  I had a Cutlass Supreme with a V8 that was considered mid once.

regfootball    250
On 12/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

26K to start w/ an auto?? Ouch.

I don't see this finding many buyers.

please refer to recent thread about smart car spending and the discussion of MSRP's going through the roof.  It's true, 26k for a CRUZE? (even if it's a diesel).........

And about the time one gets a Cruze diesel, somehow magically, diesel will shoot up to 5 bucks a gallon.....

I have to admit though I am really curious to see how these turn out...

14 hours ago, William Maley said:

that include huge EPA fines?  LOL

smk4565    351

$26,300 for a Malibu diesel sounds better.  $26k for  a Cruze seems a bit steep. Most won't buy this, not only are the gas models way cheaper but they are always discounted too.

Suaviloquent    713

People who buy compact cars usually are looking for frugality. That's why the Corolla and to a lesser extent, the Civic dominate. 

I appreciate the gesture, but this is one expensive compact car. That's too bad. They have to make money, but they'll just start offering rebates for the year-end of 2017, for 2018 models. I'd wait until then. But there's plenty of car that you can get for around $25k realistically buy and still get a lot of fuel for, before you get the diesel.

Suaviloquent    713

They keep making the cars bigger though, which makes the price creep somewhat explanable.

But really, a Sonic sedan for example, has good enough packaging to have been like a compact form like 12-15 years ago.

ocnblu    776

I can't believe how reasonably priced the Civic hatch is versus the Cruze hatch.  Shoot, the Sport is less than $22k to start, and it has 22 cu ft of trunk space with the seat up... the LX has even more space, with a lower level sound system.

I took off work tomorrow and I have half a notion to go drive some vehicles.

ccap41    1,235
2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

Hard to take that list seriously when the Chevy Sonic and Dodge Challenger are both on it. 

I know what you mean but one is a hatch and one is a coupe and I presume they're looking at interior volume. 

I just know I was reading a "compact" comparison but I'm not sure which one and it said that it was one of 2 or 3 that had technically crept into the mid size sedan interior volume. 

Ill continue to look for it. It was only a couple months ago. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The 2018 Kia Rio will be arriving at dealers next month and will still be one of the cheapest vehicles in the U.S. The base LX will set you back $14,795 for the sedan and $15,095 for the hatchback - prices include a $895 destination charge. 
      The LX fits the definition of being a stripper as you don't get power windows, cruise control, or a center console. You do get steering-wheel audio controls, satellite radio, and a USB port.
      Next up is the S which begins at $16,995 (sedan) and $17,295 (hatch). It comes with power windows, cruise control, keyless entry, center console, backup camera, Bluetooth, and an additional USB port.
      The EX rounds out the Rio lineup with prices of $19,295 (sedan) and $19,595 (hatchback). Standard equipment includes 15-inch wheels, 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and automatic emergency braking.
      All Rios come with a 1.6L four-cylinder with 130 horsepower and 116 pound-feet. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual or automatic.
      “Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers. This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motors America.
      Source: Kia
      Press Release is on Page 2

Kia Motors America Announces 2018 Rio Pricing
      Feature-Rich Subcompact Sedan and Hatchback Provide Tremendous Value Coupled with Outstanding Design All-new Kia Rio has lower starting price than outgoing model, yet offers technology typically not found in the subcompact segment Rio delivers value-conscious consumers an eye-catching European-inspired design, fuel efficiency, innovative technology, everyday convenience and fun-to-drive character IRVINE, Calif., September 20, 2017 — Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced pricing for the all-new 2018 Rio sedan and 5-door hatchback.  Expected to arrive in Kia retailers beginning early October, the subcompact duo will be offered in three trim levels – LX, S and EX. 
      LX starts at $13,900 (sedan)/ $14,200(5-door) S starts at $16,100 (sedan)/ $16,400 (5-door) EX trim starts at $18,400 (sedan)/ $18,700 (5-door) “Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning, KMA.  “This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment.”
      Rio offers value-conscious consumers a roster of everyday convenience and technology features coupled with a solid structure.  On the tech front, the Rio offers Bluetooth® hands-free functionality3, a six-speaker stereo with satellite radio and a rear-view camera system4.  Available only on the top-tier EX trim is a seven-inch floating touchscreen interface, UVO3 voice recognition infotainment system and smartphone integration through Android AutoTM and Apple CarPlayTM  as well as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)5.  On the safety front, the all-new Rio is targeting the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick designation and a 5-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The 2018 Kia Rio will be arriving at dealers next month and will still be one of the cheapest vehicles in the U.S. The base LX will set you back $14,795 for the sedan and $15,095 for the hatchback - prices include a $895 destination charge. 
      The LX fits the definition of being a stripper as you don't get power windows, cruise control, or a center console. You do get steering-wheel audio controls, satellite radio, and a USB port.
      Next up is the S which begins at $16,995 (sedan) and $17,295 (hatch). It comes with power windows, cruise control, keyless entry, center console, backup camera, Bluetooth, and an additional USB port.
      The EX rounds out the Rio lineup with prices of $19,295 (sedan) and $19,595 (hatchback). Standard equipment includes 15-inch wheels, 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and automatic emergency braking.
      All Rios come with a 1.6L four-cylinder with 130 horsepower and 116 pound-feet. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual or automatic.
      “Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers. This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motors America.
      Source: Kia
      Press Release is on Page 2

Kia Motors America Announces 2018 Rio Pricing
      Feature-Rich Subcompact Sedan and Hatchback Provide Tremendous Value Coupled with Outstanding Design All-new Kia Rio has lower starting price than outgoing model, yet offers technology typically not found in the subcompact segment Rio delivers value-conscious consumers an eye-catching European-inspired design, fuel efficiency, innovative technology, everyday convenience and fun-to-drive character IRVINE, Calif., September 20, 2017 — Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced pricing for the all-new 2018 Rio sedan and 5-door hatchback.  Expected to arrive in Kia retailers beginning early October, the subcompact duo will be offered in three trim levels – LX, S and EX. 
      LX starts at $13,900 (sedan)/ $14,200(5-door) S starts at $16,100 (sedan)/ $16,400 (5-door) EX trim starts at $18,400 (sedan)/ $18,700 (5-door) “Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning, KMA.  “This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment.”
      Rio offers value-conscious consumers a roster of everyday convenience and technology features coupled with a solid structure.  On the tech front, the Rio offers Bluetooth® hands-free functionality3, a six-speaker stereo with satellite radio and a rear-view camera system4.  Available only on the top-tier EX trim is a seven-inch floating touchscreen interface, UVO3 voice recognition infotainment system and smartphone integration through Android AutoTM and Apple CarPlayTM  as well as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)5.  On the safety front, the all-new Rio is targeting the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick designation and a 5-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
    • By William Maley
      Lexus might not be the first choice when it comes to a compact luxury coupe. But when I drove the RC 350 F-Sport back in 2015, we found it to be a very capable coupe. Aside from the creamsicle paint color, the RC impressed me with distinctive styling, punchy V6, and sharp handling. Two years later, I find myself revisiting the RC - this time with the base 2.0L turbo-four engine. As I would find out during our week, there is a lot to like about the standard RC. But there is one glaring issue that would make me look at a competitor.
      The standard RC’s design somehow balances a handsome shape with extroverted details. The front features the widest version of the spindle grille, slits in the front bumper, and LED lighting under the headlights. Bulging fenders and rounded roofline make the RC stand out from the crowd. There are only two things I would change about this RC. First is the color. The silver paint on our tester makes the RC a bit dull to look at. Something more vibrant such as a red would really help out. We would also swap the 5-spoke, 18-inch wheels for the wheels found on the F-Sport package. The interior hasn’t changed since we last drove the RC and that’s both a good and bad thing. The good is that the RC still has the IS’ dash design which makes the vehicle’s sporting intentions clear. It is easy to find a comfortable position in the front seats thanks to the power adjustments on offer. The bad? It begins with the infotainment system. A 7-inch screen is nestled far back in the dash, making it hard to read at a quick glance. I wished Lexus had upgraded the screen to the 10.2-inch version found in the refreshed IS. The optional Remote Touch system is a bit frustrating to use as you have be very precise when making your selection. One slip of the finger and you’ll end up with a different selection.  Don’t expect to carry passengers in the RC’s backseat as leg room is non-existent. It's better to use it as a place for cargo. What is that glaring issue I mentioned at the beginning? That would be the turbo 2.0L. It produces 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Power delivery can best be described as the engine delivers enough oomph to move the vehicle from a stop, before falling off a cliff. There isn’t that rush of power throughout the rpm band that you would have in another model such as the Cadillac ATS 2.0T. On the upside, the 2.0L turbo in the RC didn’t have the horrendous turbo lag that I experienced in the IS 200t last year. The eight-speed automatic that comes standard on rear-drive models delivers smooth gear changes. I did find myself wishing the gear changes were somewhat quicker when the RC is put into the Sport mode via the drive selector. The standard RC fits the definition of a ‘Gran Tourer’. It may not handle as well as the RC 350 F-Sport in the bends - there is little bit more body roll and the steering isn’t as direct. But most people who drive it will be ok with that as it is ‘just right’. On rough roads, the RC 200t excels as bumps are smoothed over.  Wind noise is mostly nonexistent, while there is a fair amount of road noise coming inside. The 2017 RC 200t begins at $40,155. With a modest amount of options such as navigation, blind spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control, the as-tested price came to $45,234. The RC 200t is mostly show and not much go. For some folks, that’s all they want. A coupe that stands out in and tells the world to look at me. For others, save up a bit more money and go for the 350. The added performance of the V6 gives the coupe the go it deserves. Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the RC 200t, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Lexus
      Model: RC
      Trim: 200t
      Engine: Turbo 2.0L DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-i
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 241 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,650-4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/32/26
      Curb Weight: 3,737 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $40,155
      As Tested Price: $45,234 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Navigation System - $1,470.00
      Premium Package - $1,240.00
      Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collison - $500.00
      Illuminated Door Sills - $449.00
      Windshield Deicer and Headlamp Cleaner - $220.00
      Door Edge Guards - $115.00
      All-Weather Floormats - $110.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lexus might not be the first choice when it comes to a compact luxury coupe. But when I drove the RC 350 F-Sport back in 2015, we found it to be a very capable coupe. Aside from the creamsicle paint color, the RC impressed me with distinctive styling, punchy V6, and sharp handling. Two years later, I find myself revisiting the RC - this time with the base 2.0L turbo-four engine. As I would find out during our week, there is a lot to like about the standard RC. But there is one glaring issue that would make me look at a competitor.
      The standard RC’s design somehow balances a handsome shape with extroverted details. The front features the widest version of the spindle grille, slits in the front bumper, and LED lighting under the headlights. Bulging fenders and rounded roofline make the RC stand out from the crowd. There are only two things I would change about this RC. First is the color. The silver paint on our tester makes the RC a bit dull to look at. Something more vibrant such as a red would really help out. We would also swap the 5-spoke, 18-inch wheels for the wheels found on the F-Sport package. The interior hasn’t changed since we last drove the RC and that’s both a good and bad thing. The good is that the RC still has the IS’ dash design which makes the vehicle’s sporting intentions clear. It is easy to find a comfortable position in the front seats thanks to the power adjustments on offer. The bad? It begins with the infotainment system. A 7-inch screen is nestled far back in the dash, making it hard to read at a quick glance. I wished Lexus had upgraded the screen to the 10.2-inch version found in the refreshed IS. The optional Remote Touch system is a bit frustrating to use as you have be very precise when making your selection. One slip of the finger and you’ll end up with a different selection.  Don’t expect to carry passengers in the RC’s backseat as leg room is non-existent. It's better to use it as a place for cargo. What is that glaring issue I mentioned at the beginning? That would be the turbo 2.0L. It produces 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Power delivery can best be described as the engine delivers enough oomph to move the vehicle from a stop, before falling off a cliff. There isn’t that rush of power throughout the rpm band that you would have in another model such as the Cadillac ATS 2.0T. On the upside, the 2.0L turbo in the RC didn’t have the horrendous turbo lag that I experienced in the IS 200t last year. The eight-speed automatic that comes standard on rear-drive models delivers smooth gear changes. I did find myself wishing the gear changes were somewhat quicker when the RC is put into the Sport mode via the drive selector. The standard RC fits the definition of a ‘Gran Tourer’. It may not handle as well as the RC 350 F-Sport in the bends - there is little bit more body roll and the steering isn’t as direct. But most people who drive it will be ok with that as it is ‘just right’. On rough roads, the RC 200t excels as bumps are smoothed over.  Wind noise is mostly nonexistent, while there is a fair amount of road noise coming inside. The 2017 RC 200t begins at $40,155. With a modest amount of options such as navigation, blind spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control, the as-tested price came to $45,234. The RC 200t is mostly show and not much go. For some folks, that’s all they want. A coupe that stands out in and tells the world to look at me. For others, save up a bit more money and go for the 350. The added performance of the V6 gives the coupe the go it deserves. Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the RC 200t, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Lexus
      Model: RC
      Trim: 200t
      Engine: Turbo 2.0L DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-i
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 241 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,650-4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/32/26
      Curb Weight: 3,737 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $40,155
      As Tested Price: $45,234 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Navigation System - $1,470.00
      Premium Package - $1,240.00
      Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collison - $500.00
      Illuminated Door Sills - $449.00
      Windshield Deicer and Headlamp Cleaner - $220.00
      Door Edge Guards - $115.00
      All-Weather Floormats - $110.00
    • By William Maley
      China is the latest country to investigate possibly ending the sale of gas and diesel vehicles.
      According to the state's Xinhua News Agency, deputy industry minister Xin Guobin told an auto industry forum over the weekend has started "research on formulating a timetable to stop production and sales of traditional energy vehicles."
      “Some countries have made a timeline for when to stop the production and sales of traditional fuel cars,” said Guobin.
      “The ministry has also started relevant research and will make such a timeline with relevant departments. Those measures will certainly bring profound changes for our car industry’s development.”
      This move is not really surprising when you take into consideration China's major cities have suffered from extreme air pollution. Some of this comes down vehicle emissions. But there are also various industrial sites using coal and other fuels that provide a fair amount of pollution. Both local and national governments have been working on ways to help cut back on pollution. One of those ways is China requiring automakers to have 20 percent of new car sales by 2025 be made up of hybrid and electric vehicles.
      Both France and Great Britain have announced plans to halt sales of new gas and diesel powered vehicles by 2040.
      Source: Associated Press, Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)