Jaguar News: 2018 Jaguar XJR575 Adds More Power

While Jaguar has been busy with the likes of the F-Pace and brand new E-Pace, the XJ flagship has been languishing away. There was the thought that the XJ could go to the great junkyard in the sky. But Jaguar has brought some new updates for the 2018 XJ.

Let us focus on the big news first, the XJR575. Serving as the performance flagship model for the XJ, the 575 uses a supercharged 5.0: V8 with 575 horsepower (up 25) and 516 pound-feet. An eight-speed automatic routes power to the rear wheels. 0-60 takes 4.4 seconds and the XJR575 will hit a top speed of 186 mph.

To help it stand apart from the standard XJR, the 575 comes with a new aero package, hood vents, 20-inch gloss black wheels, red brake calipers, and two colors created by the Special Vehicle Operations division; Velocity Blue and Satin Corris Grey.

All XJs will benefit from a new 10-inch touchscreen, 4G LTE with Wi-Fi capability, emergency braking, blind spot assist, lane keep assist, and park assist.

Pricing details for the 2018 XJ will be announced at a later date.

Source: Jaguar
Press Release is on Page 2

GONE IN 44 SECONDS - NEW JAGUAR XJR575 HOSTS 186MPH INTERVIEW

• Jaguar designer Wayne Burgess answers questions at top speed to mark launch of new performance saloon
  • Wayne Burgess, Production Studio Director and SVO Projects at Jaguar, quizzed by TV presenter and racer Amanda Stretton, at top speed in the back of the new 2018 Jaguar XJR575 (1)
  • 186 mph XJR575 has more power than any previous XJ (1)
  • Full-size performance sedan accelerates from 0-60 mph in just 4.2 seconds – and reaches top speed in just 44 seconds (1)
  • 5.0-liter Supercharged V8 engine produces 517 lb. ft. of torque
  • The XJR575 continues a heritage of luxurious refinement and interior comfort for Jaguar sedans featuring upgraded performance and unique design touches
  • Electronic Active Differential enables fine control of power delivery and maximizes traction
  • Two new available paint options from Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division ensure XJR575 is more unique than ever
  • Enhancements to Jaguar Touch Pro Infotainment system include addition of a larger 10-inch touchscreen and available 4G Wi-Fi2, (3)
  • Intelligent driver assistance measures include Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Park Assist and Driver Condition Monitoring (4)

Jaguar has launched its latest full-size super sedan, the new 2018 XJR575, with a high-speed interview starring Jaguar designer Wayne Burgess being questioned by TV presenter and race driver Amanda Stretton as the performance sedan accelerates to its top speed of 186mph.1

Lasting just 44 seconds – the time it takes the fastest iteration of the XJ sedan to reach its top speed – Burgess gave a quick-fire insight into the development of the potent new model.

The high velocity interview was almost over before it began, but the unrelenting acceleration of the new XJ flagship did not stop Burgess, Production Studio Director and SVO Projects Director at Jaguar, from providing a unique take on the performance sedan.

"I have done plenty of short interviews in my time, but nothing quite like this! It might have been a bit of fun but doesn’t it just demonstrate perfectly the extreme performance of the new XJR575. I could barely finish answering those quick-fire questions before we hit 186mph and then it was all over! Can we go again?"

- WAYNE BURGESS, PRODUCTION STUDIO DIRECTOR AND SVO PROJECTS, JAGUAR

The XJR575 is the new performance flagship for the XJ range; its 5.0-liter supercharged V8 engine benefits from a healthy 25 horsepower increase – from 550HP to 575HP – which delivers a 0-60mph time of just 4.2 seconds1. Coupled with 517 lb. ft. of available torque, the new addition to the XJ range effortlessly accelerates from a standstill while drivers benefit from Jaguar’s characteristic interior refinement.

Customers will be able to choose between two bespoke exterior color finishes created by Special Vehicle Operations – Velocity Blue and Satin Corris Grey – while additional tailor-made exterior details include a rear spoiler, side sills, front bumper and lower air intakes featuring gloss black surrounds.

Updated exterior badging and twin hood louvers distinguish the vehicle from the rest of the range, as do the red brake callipers that accompany the 20-inch 5 Split-Spoke 'Style 5044' gloss-black wheels. Bespoke embossed tread plates alongside intaglio and diamond-quilted seating add a final flourish to the  interior of the XJR575.

"This is a performance vehicle, but that doesn’t mean we have had to cut any corners when it comes to comfort or design. Jaguar is the standard bearer for interior refinement and the XJR575 is no different. It can go very quickly, but it does so with the serene comfort customers expect from a Jaguar saloon. That makes this a very special car indeed."

- IAN CALLUM, DIRECTOR OF DESIGN, JAGUAR

Further announcements for the rest of the core 2018 Jaguar XJ range and U.S. pricing will follow later this year. For additional information please visit www.JaguarUSA.com or your local retailer.

View full article

Nice, interesting spec, surprised that they are using a knock off of MB air vents. Also the steering wheel looks like something from the 70's, dated and old with that thick ass circle center covering the airbag. Over all not bad otherwise, but the brakes do look undersized for this full size sedan with that power.

I think this is the XJ's farewell tour swan song.  The sales are low, there has been rumor that they would not replace it.  And this XJ came out in 2010 or 2011, and is looking a bit tired now.  And a base model S-class has 516 lb-ft of torque and is nearly as fast as this special edition XJR.   I think they are just trying to milk a couple more years out of the XJ, and they'll replace it with a big 3 row crossover.

Needs a facelift--revise that ugly rear (hideous tallights) and that boring dash..the dash design is dull, nothing luxurious about it..bulgy vents, etc...a Jag needs a flat, horizontal dash with a big 'ol plank of wood IMO, not gray bland material..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

When this car first came out....I was like :puke:

Then about 2 years after its release, something happened and I was like :lovey:

But now...after all these years...Im back to  :yuck:

IOW, where is the XJ MCE?

14 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

MCE stands for mid-cycle enhancement.  Instead of an all-new model, the carmaker upgrades a lot of what is there and sometimes even tweaks the exterior and maybe trim prices.

Yes. Yes. MCE for mid-cycle enhancement.

Well...it needed a mid-cycle enhancement 5 years ago...when I started liking it...ironically...that it never got.

Yes I know...a couple of years ago it got LED lighting up front...

Its time for a new one as visually, one could tell its a decades old design.

The current XJ has been around since 2009..didn't realize it had around that long...never saw very many around, even in an area with a lot of luxury cars like Scottsdale.   I like the front and profile styling, but the rear end is ugly, and the interior boring...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The S-class has had an MCE, an all new model and another MCE in the time this XJ has been sitting on the market with the same body, interior and 5.0 V8 from 2010.

Yup as they still have not hit it to be a big seller since you do not see many s class around either. Course you will say it is still the worlds best selling top end luxury sedan. Does not mean it is that big of a hit. Especially when you see the amount of so called luxury SUV/CUV's.

18 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yup as they still have not hit it to be a big seller since you do not see many s class around either. Course you will say it is still the worlds best selling top end luxury sedan. Does not mean it is that big of a hit. Especially when you see the amount of so called luxury SUV/CUV's.

The S-class outsells the A8, 7-series and XJ combined.  

8 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Wow. The S-Class is that much of a powerhouse in its segment?  By that logic, why should Audi, Jaguar and BMW even try?

The problem is that many people are the protagonist in their own little self centered mini drama, and are unaware of and unable to interact with the world around them.

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The S-class has been the top selling full size luxury car globally, for how long--40-50 years?   No surprise...

...which is why we need other options...the same thing all of the time is boring.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Wow. The S-Class is that much of a powerhouse in its segment?  By that logic, why should Audi, Jaguar and BMW even try?

Jaguar can go home in this segment Audi has China to save them and the fact that that A8 chassis is shared with Bentley.   BMW actually sells some 7-series and they share that platform with RR.  If this new A8 tanks maybe they will give up, the S-class is going to offer a V6 and come after what little sales the A8 has left.  The only reason BMW, Audi, Lexus and Jaguar have any sales is because they start $20k below the S-class.  Mercedes let them have those sales until now.

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Jaguar can go home in this segment Audi has China to save them and the fact that that A8 chassis is shared with Bentley.   BMW actually sells some 7-series and they share that platform with RR.  If this new A8 tanks maybe they will give up, the S-class is going to offer a V6 and come after what little sales the A8 has left.  The only reason BMW, Audi, Lexus and Jaguar have any sales is because they start $20k below the S-class.  Mercedes let them have those sales until now.

Nope disagree, SMK just as you think the world is best with MB and everything is best no matter eco box to s class, there are those fans that love the other labels. MB did not leave the low end to the other labels till now. There are plenty of people who see garbage when they look at MB compared to their preferred auto line. I have coworkers that think Audi is better than anything else in the world and I know people who think this way about Jag, BMW etc.

S class might pick up some sales by selling a cheaper S class, though I think they will hurt themselves, but will wait to see what happens. After all you think MB SUV's like G wagon are the best even when Drew posted picture of mismatched screws, interior trim piece colors and fit n finish issues and yet Escalade clearly is unaffected by G Wagon sales.

Audi and Lexus will stay as discount option to the S-class.  Maserati needs to dump the Quattroporte and Jag should dump the XJ.  They have to lose money when they sell maybe 5,000 units a year.

G-wagen is a class above Escalade and 2016 was the G's best sales year since its 1979 debut.  And the other guys are smart they don't try to go after it, they stay away. 

On a side note, I saw an 2010 or 2011 era Quattroporte S with like 40k miles and the Ferrari V8 and all that, $127,000 base when new and it was $26k used.  No one wants that car.

Edited by smk4565

I guess the Bugatti Royale must be a really s#$& car because they only sold half dozen.  Good thing the much nicer Corolla has sold 40 Million.

Could we please stop having school yard fights over sales numbers?

I love the Escalade, but will every day of the week take an F type over it.

Would love to actual discuss merits of actual vehicles.

6 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Audi and Lexus will stay as discount option to the S-class.  Maserati needs to dump the Quattroporte and Jag should dump the XJ.  They have to lose money when they sell maybe 5,000 units a year.

G-wagen is a class above Escalade and 2016 was the G's best sales year since its 1979 debut.  And the other guys are smart they don't try to go after it, they stay away. 

On a side note, I saw an 2010 or 2011 era Quattroporte S with like 40k miles and the Ferrari V8 and all that, $127,000 base when new and it was $26k used.  No one wants that car.

All luxury cars are a horrible investment. Given the cash to buy an S class, give me a GTI and I will happily invest the hundred grand I save.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A simplistic fixation on sales numbers with regard to luxury cars seems counter-intuitive...isn't luxury supposed to be about exclusivity, not sales volume?   

...or at least the car, not merely its image with a small group of people?

I would define being wealthy as being able to live life on ones own terms, and would argue that is different for every wealthy person.  i could see being very wealthy, living in Manhattan, owning no car...being very wealthy, owning a ranch, and driving a basic ford F series...being very wealthy, living in Monaco and driving a Bugatti Veyron...being very wealthy, keeping a modest house in the Midwest and driving an XT5...being very wealthy, driving a vintage Mercedees 280 convertible and living in Palm springs...

...I also drive through some less affluent parts of town on a regular basis and see older used Benz, Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus and the like languishing on used car lots with faded signs on the windshields...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2