GM News: Strike Adverted? GM and Unifor Reach A Tentative Agreement For CAMI

After a month-long strike and threat earlier this week, General Motors and Unifor Local 88 have reached an tentative agreement for workers at the CAMI assembly plant. Last night, Unifor Local 88 made the announcement via email to its workers. Details of the agreement are being kept under wraps until a ratification vote is held on Monday. If the agreement is approved, workers will return to the plant starting at 11 PM Monday night.

"We have addressed job security which will be in this deal. I think it's a fair agreement  ... and everybody is looking forward to going back to work and making vehicles their customers want, knowing there will be some sort of job security there," said Mike Van Boekel, the union's plant chair at CAMI to CBC News.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News

View full article

11 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

10 years? Nope, this plant will be lucky to see the next gen of Nox...

But, GM could change their mind....

Hope so, I hope 3-5 years at most before shutting it down.

22 hours ago, riviera74 said:

This was a warning shot from CAMI.  Next time GM will simply move production out and Ingersoll workers can go pound sand and kick rocks.  Nobody is entitled to a well-paying union job whatsoever.

Think the biggest issue is that they need to change with the times. When you're not willing to give, that is quite the bad thing in this day and age GM at this point is showing they have a soul.

They could easily ship the Nox to mexico for workers that will do it for a third of the price, and do it better as well...

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Think the biggest issue is that they need to change with the times. When you're not willing to give, that is quite the bad thing in this day and age GM at this point is showing they have a soul.

They could easily ship the Nox to mexico for workers that will do it for a third of the price, and do it better as well...

I dont think its as much as having a soul as it is about having an obligation.

To the Canadian Government in helping them with the bailout.

And to the Canadian peeps as it was their money that they got during the bailout...remember...Canadian dollars were also given to them and maybe GM feared a backlash of the Canadian peeps if they had shuttered this plant down this way...

Canadians do buy a lot of 'Noxes...and Cruises...and Volts...and Camaros...

Remember...'buy American' or 'Make America Great Again' does not have the same punch here...ESPECIALLY concerning the auto industry...ESPECIALLY when America's recent trade policies regarding soft lumber and Boeing's recent tactics concerning Canadair's C Series and with Trump's confusing NAFTA speeches...

I think GM bit the bullet for another 4 years....prolonging the agony...as it might sting them less in 4 years to close the plant then had they decided to close the plant now...it would hurt our feelings more now then it will 4 years from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont think its as much as having a soul as it is about having an obligation.

To the Canadian Government in helping them with the bailout.

And to the Canadian peeps as it was their money that they got during the bailout...remember...Canadian dollars were also given to them and maybe GM feared a backlash of the Canadian peeps if they had shuttered this plant down this way...

Canadians do buy a lot of 'Noxes...and Cruises...and Volts...and Camaros...

Remember...'buy American' or 'Make America Great Again' does not have the same punch here...ESPECIALLY concerning the auto industry...ESPECIALLY when America's recent trade policies regarding soft lumber and Boeing's recent tactics concerning Canadair's C Series and with Trump's confusing NAFTA speeches...

I think GM bit the bullet for another 4 years....prolonging the agony...as it might sting them less in 4 years to close the plant then had they decided to close the plant now...it would hurt our feelings more now then it will 4 years from now.

And there is truth to that as well....

In honesty, I'd like to see GM invest a bit more in canada, rather than mexico. (though still way better than china) I don't like to see people lose jobs....especially since I have seen it with my own family.

But when Wall Street talks and shareholders squawk, only money talks....

21 hours ago, daves87rs said:

And there is truth to that as well....

In honesty, I'd like to see GM invest a bit more in canada, rather than mexico. (though still way better than china) I don't like to see people lose jobs....especially since I have seen it with my own family.

But when Wall Street talks and shareholders squawk, only money talks....

You know the old saying: money talks, BS walks.  The union did approve a 4-year contract to stay in Ingersoll.  I would say that GM will probably drop the plant after the terms are completed.

• Agree 1