VW News: Next-Generation Volkswagen Jetta To Debut In Detroit, Promises To Be Great Looking

The Volkswagen Jetta is an important model for the North American market and a new model is just over the horizon. Volkswagen North America CEO Hinrich Woebcken recently spoke with journalists at the Redbull Global Rallycross Championship in Los Angeles and dropped some interesting details about the next-generation Jetta.

The new Jetta will make its debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Design-wise, Woebcken said it would have coupe-like form and promises to be "great-looking". Dealers were shown the vehicle back in April and were “extremely excited” about it. Woebcken also said the new Jetta will be given the "North American touch, not always in terms of lower costs or less content, but in specific needs for the market.”

A few other bits of information about the next Jetta

• An R-Line model will be available within three months of the launch - possibly spring
  • A manual transmission will be available at launch. Concerns about the manual going away stem from the 2018 GLI not having this option.
  • As for the GLI itself, the new version will launch a year after the regular Jetta

The next-generation Passat was also briefly mentioned. Woebcken said the model would launch sometime in 2019 and described the design as “not evolutionary, but really exciting exterior design.”

Source: Motor Trend
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'd seriously consider a GLI, again. Especially if it grows a tad, like most every car does these days from generation to generation. 

Now that it will be on MQB, I'm very curious about the new GLI. My lease will be up on my GTI around then, and it could be a possible replacement. 

• Like 1

Boy they are setting up for either a big WOW or Big OUCH factor with that Promises to be Great Looking.

I hope so as right now it is very bland and boring to me.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Now that it will be on MQB, I'm very curious about the new GLI. My lease will be up on my GTI around then, and it could be a possible replacement. 

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im all for it!

I LOVE 4 door coupe styling!

But...where does the CC fit into all of this?

The CC is gone, replaced by the Arteon.   The Jetta is a compact, the Passat is the midsize, and the Arteon is above the Passat....

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

46 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The CC is still a thing. It's still on their website. 

Soon to be gone; Arteon replaces it for 2018. I don't think the US is getting the Arteon.  Both are on the VW UK site.   Sometimes brands are slow to update their website, Dodge still has the Viper and Dart on their site. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Soon to be gone; Arteon replaces it for 2018. I don't think the US is getting the Arteon.  Both are on the VW UK site.   Sometimes brands are slow to update their website, Dodge still has the Viper and Dart on their site. 

US market is getting the Arteon. It's confirmed. Won't hit lots until next Spring at the earliest, though.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

On the Jetta?? Most likely not. Just buy an A3. They're fantastic.

True both have the same bland style, but the A3 with AWD is a solid auto.

On the Audi A3/S3/RS3

Id rather the VW versions all the way through.

Especially in the aesthetic department.

The A3/S3/RS3 sedan looks frumpy but the Golf has all the right cues and proportions to make it a sexy hatch.

oettinger-vw-gti-golf-r.jpg

oettinger-vw-gti-golf-r.jpg

2015_volkswagen_golf-r_prf_fd_1208141_71

Frumpy, odd proportions and the Audi badge costing extra dollars over the Veedub badge really aint worth it.

Frumpy...the rear ends too soon...as if Audi is afraid to elongate it as to not reach A4 length...

2017-Audi-S3-side-03.jpg

And because of it...this angle has odd proportions

5_26.jpg?itok=P5AzueUY

This angle looks fine...because the rear end is hidden for our immediate observational focal points...

maxresdefault.jpg

The hatch version is hot though. More mature than the Veedub.

AudiRS3_06.jpg

But yeah! These are MONSTERS in the performance world. I have deep respect for them!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@oldshurst442 I get what your says olds, but the VW at the top of your thread to me looks like it was just cut off with a large meat knife.

All hatches have that look. Including SUVs...:P

(Minus GM's 3rd and 4rth F-Body pony  cars and Corvettes!!!)

Edited by oldshurst442

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

All hatches have that look. Including SUVs...:P

(Minus GM's 3rd and 4rth F-Body pony  cars and Corvettes!!!)

True, just think my SS Trailblazer looks better than this car cut off does. Maybe it is the look of a wheel chock that I just do not like about this VW. Reminds me of a door wedge.

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About the new 4 door coupe styling of the next gen Jetta and AWD.

Knowing that the CC in Europe had a 4motion option but not in the USA, I think that the Jetta WILL have a 4motion option...but in Europe only.

There were 4Motion CC's in the States all the way until 2016.

29 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About the new 4 door coupe styling of the next gen Jetta and AWD.

Knowing that the CC in Europe had a 4motion option but not in the USA, I think that the Jetta WILL have a 4motion option...but in Europe only.

Hope not as that would be a failure for VW as everyone seems to be adding awd.

17 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They're picking up 100whp with just a 93 tune. Some TT RS's are running mid 10's with tune, and a few bolt-ons. Stock tires. They're monsters.

I am kind of hoping it is what he goes for.  C&D just tested an 18 at 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 in 11.9!  crazy little cars even stock.

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was not aware of that. Or maybe I was. Brain fart again?

There is a very big disconnect with me and VW as of late.

They used to have an AWD/VR6 CC that was pretty sweet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=514520&stc=1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stew said:

I am kind of hoping it is what he goes for.  C&D just tested an 18 at 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 in 11.9!  crazy little cars even stock.

They used to have an AWD/VR6 CC that was pretty sweet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=514520&stc=1

Nice looking ride for a car.